Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

sweet geek swag posted:

Bards are really good in BG, even with just a few levels in them. Blades are fantastic, but all bards are decent

In BG1 they are basically glorified wand bots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Wand and arrow bots. Which, given how broken wands and arrows are in BG1, is pretty nice.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Angry Lobster posted:

In BG1 they are basically glorified wand bots.

In the EEs at least a Blade can go toe to toe with a lot of stuff at the second dot in dual wielding (more so with Rogue Rebalance which admittedly kinda turbocharges Blade and Swashbuckler)

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I once took a Swashbuckler to 15 to get the -1 to AC, -1 to THAC0, and +1 to damage three times, then dual classed to Fighter.

:suicide:

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I once took a Swashbuckler to 15 to get the -1 to AC, -1 to THAC0, and +1 to damage three times, then dual classed to Fighter.

:suicide:

Holy smokes. Were you on the final boss when you got your thief levels back or what?

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
Finally got my Kensai/Thief to 9/10 in SoD just as the siege proper started.I'm guessing I missed a bit of content in the previous chapter by refusing to go with Caelar Argent back to the castle?

It felt a little weird at the leader's summit to not call our Hephernaandespite the poo poo I had just seen him getting up to in the castle basement.

In any case gently caress her, gently caress her dumb crusade and gently caress anyone who sides with her because Dorn and I are gonna go cut off some heads and then probably gently caress like angry evil rabbits in all the blood and gore.

Also it feels like they are really thrusting Glint on the party with the amount of quests and stuff for him. Definitely feels like the annoying poo poo was someone's pet project let into the game. At least the game feels a lot fairer to evil parties in terms of options and rewards compared to the base game.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
Glint is Jan drained of all his charm.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

So if I didn’t dual class Imoen in BG1 and she is about level 14 now, when is the next good level to do so? Or can she crush it as pure thief until ToB?

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

The ideal time to dual-class a Thief is whenever their skills are where you want them to be. If she's level 14 by now, you probably hit that mark a long time ago. 14 is really late to be dual-classing, so much so that it's probably not worth doing anymore.

e: but if you really want to go through with it, just dual right away so that you spend as little time as possible before getting her Thief abilities back.
e2: looking at the XP tables to check my memory, Thief 14 isn't that excessive. It's sub-optimal for sure, but that's not really terribly important, and even though I really like Thief HLAs (Spike Trap and Use Any Item are a lot of fun IMO), a Thief 14/Mage X Imoen is gonna be a lot more powerful in the long run than a pure Thief no matter what. It's just a question of whether you're willing to invest the time in a lovely low-level mage to get her there.

Mr. Baps fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jun 17, 2019

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
Can Imoen be a pure thief in Bg2 now? Then why is she sent to spellhold 🤔

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I assume KKKLIP ART is playing with a mod that allows you to carry over characters from BG1.

Walrus Pete posted:

e2: looking at the XP tables to check my memory, Thief 14 isn't that excessive.

Thief 14 may not be that bad, but Mage 15 is 1.875 million exp, for a total of 2.7+ million. With a full party, you won't reach that till late SoA or early ToB.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Samuel Clemens posted:

I assume KKKLIP ART is playing with a mod that allows you to carry over characters from BG1.

Thief 14 may not be that bad, but Mage 15 is 1.875 million exp, for a total of 2.7+ million. With a full party, you won't reach that till late SoA or early ToB.

I thought you had to pass your old class in XP, not level. Am I remembering wrong?

e: quick wiki check says I am. That changes everything, don't dual-class a level 14 Thief :v:

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I'd almost never go past level 7 for a dual class. Speaking of new characters/classes, my new run just started and out the gates of Candlekeep comes a young female gnome illusionist/thief who is lawful/evil. Anyone have any tips on illusionist/thieves? I imagine every class is viable if I lower the difficulty enough. I'm specialized in quarterstaff and shortbow.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

chaosapiant posted:

Anyone have any tips on illusionist/thieves?

Enjoy playing the best class combo in the game.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

docbeard posted:

Enjoy playing the best class combo in the game.

Is it that good? Even better than a fighter/thief?

Edit: Should I focus on backstabs and stealth and get a second thief for traps/locks? Or am I ok by myself?

Another Edit: Neverwinter Nights chat: Which premium modules are the best? Was there ever a sequel to The Witches Wake?

chaosapiant fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jun 17, 2019

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

chaosapiant posted:

Is it that good? Even better than a fighter/thief?

Edit: Should I focus on backstabs and stealth and get a second thief for traps/locks? Or am I ok by myself?

There's probably some competition but it is a very good combination.

Your job early on is to focus on archery and sleep spells, which are basically the "I Win" combo for the first half of BG1. By the time sleep stops being relevant you'll have plenty of other tools in the toolbox. Locks/Traps are probably a better focus than stealth, since you'll have easy access to invisibility and related spells. (And Knock, but I've never liked dedicating a spell slot to that if I don't have to, whereas invisibility is one of the better defenses in the game.)

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Samuel Clemens posted:

If you've done all the big sidequests in Act 2 SoA, you should be hitting the 3 million mark late in the Underdark

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

docbeard posted:

There's probably some competition but it is a very good combination.

Your job early on is to focus on archery and sleep spells, which are basically the "I Win" combo for the first half of BG1. By the time sleep stops being relevant you'll have plenty of other tools in the toolbox. Locks/Traps are probably a better focus than stealth, since you'll have easy access to invisibility and related spells. (And Knock, but I've never liked dedicating a spell slot to that if I don't have to, whereas invisibility is one of the better defenses in the game.)

Sounds like solid advice, thanks! I like the idea of rolling my mage and thief into one character, because it leaves more room for another tank, another healer, or something kinda "extra" like a Bard or such.

Edit: Ok, so per the recommendations of this thread I'm playing IWD2 with the NPC mod that gives a fleshed out party with stories. I'm thinking of uninstalling this and restarting. These chaps talk at the worst times, going so far as to stop in the middle of battle to chat, or rip me out of the journal or inventory screens, and Jamal the magic-man is falling in love with my main character and we're still in the beginning of chapter 1. This writing is "good" so far, it just feels like it lacks subtlety and it feels like it really breaks the pace of this game. Does it get better, or do these complaints I have continue to hold water throughout the game?

chaosapiant fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jun 17, 2019

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Sorry for the double post but I have an IE modding question: Does anyone know how to edit the UI files for Icewind Dale 2? I'm playing the game at a very unorthodox resolution (1680x720) because it allows me to use 95% of my Ultrawide monitor without making everything super small, and it looks gorgeous. So I'm using the UI mode at 1280x720 mode because it works, and it leaves a little bit of black space on the right side. It's a very minor thing and it doesn't bother me too much, but I'd love to be able to get the UI to properly fill that gap.

According to Google, *.MOS files are supposed to be openable in apps like Adobe Photoshop, but Photoshop is saying it's an invalid file/file type. If I could open these files in an editor it should be too hard to copy/paste the UI border elements in the UI mod to fill out my goofy resolution.

chaosapiant fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jun 17, 2019

Jolene
Jan 1, 2019
Is there a way to make the reply window bigger in either BGEE or BG2EE? I can read what people say to me just fine, but it feels like I have to scroll up and down too much in the tiny, narrow reply window to read everything I can say back.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Jolene posted:

Is there a way to make the reply window bigger in either BGEE or BG2EE? I can read what people say to me just fine, but it feels like I have to scroll up and down too much in the tiny, narrow reply window to read everything I can say back.

IIRC pageup and pagedown change the height of the reply window in all the EEs

Jolene
Jan 1, 2019

Agnosticnixie posted:

IIRC pageup and pagedown change the height of the reply window in all the EEs

You just blew my mind. I was honestly about to go bonkers.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Not technically Infinity Engine, but w/e.

I'm starting a playthrough of TOEE and need party advice. My team is a Barbarian, Cleric, Rogue, Sorcerer, and ???. I think the last spot should be a utility char, but I dunno what I should roll there? Bard maybe?

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
Bard is great to stack whatever the rogue's skill points can't handle, backup healing and like the song auras are a fairly big boon. Alternately druids for the turbocharged summons.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

chaosapiant posted:

Sorry for the double post but I have an IE modding question: Does anyone know how to edit the UI files for Icewind Dale 2? I'm playing the game at a very unorthodox resolution (1680x720) because it allows me to use 95% of my Ultrawide monitor without making everything super small, and it looks gorgeous. So I'm using the UI mode at 1280x720 mode because it works, and it leaves a little bit of black space on the right side. It's a very minor thing and it doesn't bother me too much, but I'd love to be able to get the UI to properly fill that gap.

According to Google, *.MOS files are supposed to be openable in apps like Adobe Photoshop, but Photoshop is saying it's an invalid file/file type. If I could open these files in an editor it should be too hard to copy/paste the UI border elements in the UI mod to fill out my goofy resolution.

This is a very good question and I wish that I could help you with an answer... anyone?

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Wish I could help but when it comes to stuff like that I'm as useful as two Noober's strapped together.

Finished SoD last night for the first time. At the last fight I convinced Caelar to fight with me and clean up her own mess (my Bhaalspawn is evil, not stupid) and then left her to it in Avernus as penance for her bullshit.

The story was... Alright? It had fun moments and some good stuff to get my teeth into, like the dwarves near the beginning, the temple of Bhaal, and seeing a drider was pretty stomach churning.

I roughly knew the ending going in and it would've been nice to see Skie develop a bit more instead of being an idiot the whole time.

The only SoD NPC I used was Corwin and she was about as fun to have around as a sentient ryvita cracker. Nice riffing on The Fugitive at the end, though. I really think it could've done with another front line neutral/evil character. I missed having Kagain around just for that role.

Every time the Hooded Man showed up everything in the background was muted so my partner could listen to David Warner. I swear she could happily listen to him read the dictionary cover to cover. Has he done any audio books?

I enjoyed the gameplay as I felt the power curve was just right between BG1 and BG2. Wizards were just starting to get into the realms of bullshit but not triggering sequencers on sight with a bajillion defensive spells to work through, and I'm glad I went through because now I have a 9 Kensai/10 Thief at the start of BG2 instead of having to dual in Chateau Irenicus. Gonna backstab my way across Athkatla now.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

JustJeff88 posted:

This is a very good question and I wish that I could help you with an answer... anyone?

You can export .MOS files to PNG using Near Infinity, and then, uh, presumably import them back into the game! Have never tried the second step, though.

There’s also MOSWorkshop floating around, but idk if you’ll even be able to run it on modern computers

goblin week fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jun 19, 2019

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
YEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH.

Finally for the first time, I have managed to kick Firkraag's red, scaly, self-righteous rear end.

I could never do it as a kid. Looks like the years playing RPGs after BG has added up.

None of my characters are Paladins so Casomyr is not useful to me but gently caress YOU YOU RED gently caress. WING ATTACK ME NOW YOU LIMP BASTARD.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Yo, you got any thieves, bards, or multiclass thieves? :grin:

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

DeadButDelicious posted:

Yo, you got any thieves, bards, or multiclass thieves? :grin:

...I like where you're going with this, but only Imoen :(

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

goblin week posted:

You can export .MOS files to PNG using Near Infinity, and then, uh, presumably import them back into the game! Have never tried the second step, though.

There’s also MOSWorkshop floating around, but idk if you’ll even be able to run it on modern computers

If that's the tool I downloaded, setup.exe doesn't seem to work in Windows 10. I downloaded Near Infinity and got as far as exporting the MOS files from the French Dude's UI mod to BMPs, editing them in paint where I basically extend each UI element from 1280 to 1680 and copy/pasting his added UI elements to fill the new space. Then saved and re-imported them. Then I ran his installer for the 1280x720 version of the UI and copy/pasted my files over his. This...didn't really work though. I think the issue is the *.CHU file also needs to be edited to support the interface resolution, but even though that's editable in the Near Infinity utility, I can't tell what the hell I'm doing with it.

For those of you who have ultrawide monitors and want to play Icewind Dale 2 on it follow these steps:

1. Create a new custom resolution in the Nvidia control panel of 1680x720. This is basically the same "size" resolution as 720 but allows you to use the extra width of the monitor. (I don't know how to do this on AMD cards.)
2. Run your widescreen setup utility and enter the values of 1680x720.
3. Install the UI mod and use the 1280x720 version.
4. OPTIONAL: Install the bigger UI font mod. This does what it says on the tin, but at 720p, I find the text more than readable. ymmv.

Voila! Icewind Dale 2 stretches across 97% of your screen now (there's still black bars on the sides, but they are super small) and it still has the correct aspect ratio. Going above 720p is a mistake for these games due to how small everything gets. The game is still super readable at 720p. You'll also notice that the 1280x720 UI works well, but there's a bit of "black space" on the bottom right hand side. Aside from annoying me a bit, this still works perfectly fine.

Also, the custom res of 1680x720 also works perfectly in Divine/Beyond Divinity and TOEE (as long as you're using the Temple+ mod.)

In addition to the steps above, do the following things to Icewind Dale 2 to have a game mostly on part with the Enhanced Editions of the other games:

1. Install the tweak pack, of course.
2. Update the game config to run at 40 "updates per second." This speeds gameplay up a bit to be on par with the newer editions without making everything super fast and weird. I wouldn't go above 40.
3. Crank the screen/mouse scroll speed all the way up so the game world responds quickly when you mouse over to the edge of the screen. Doing this is good in higher resolutions because you're moving more screen area than was originally intended when the game came out.
4. DO NOT enable 3d acceleration unless you're playing on an old OS. It doesn't work in newer versions of Windows and will cause all kinds of weird graphical anomalies.
5. There are some additional things like DDRAW fixes that you might need to install as well to keep the game from having the "mouse painting the background issue" and the "screen flickering like an rear end in a top hat" issue.

I hope this is helpful to someone. We're never getting an Enhanced Edition of this game, but when I go from EE Icewind Dale 1 to vanilla 2 now, it is much less jarring.

chaosapiant fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jun 19, 2019

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
So I was hyped after killing him last night with my party, I went in for a solo attempt with my Monk.

HA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA. EAT MY FIST. This is one of the best things of gaming. Carrying a grudge for around 10 years, then finally managing to kill some red-headed gently caress who consistently ate you for breakfast years ago.

I was on a roll so I killed this one too. This one I actually found more difficult due to the resistances and the level drain. If the Shadow Dragon manages to get a foothold on one of your characters it's a real snowball effect of fuckery, but he can't get us all...

H13 fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Jun 20, 2019

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I appreciate that you made your party come all the way through the dungeon with you just to watch you punch a dragon to death single-handedly. Every good show needs an audience.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Dear H13,

Why have not you gotten the Enhanced Editions? They're goooood!

Sincerely,

Concerned Fan

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Crowetron posted:

I appreciate that you made your party come all the way through the dungeon with you just to watch you punch a dragon to death single-handedly. Every good show needs an audience.

I maintained eye contact with the party to establish dominance. There was polite applause at the end.

chaosapiant posted:

Dear H13,

Why have not you gotten the Enhanced Editions? They're goooood!

Sincerely,

Concerned Fan

I bought them, but didn't like them. As I talked about earlier in the thread, something about the animations felt off, the graphics kinda looked splotchy to me and those black outlines on the sprites were awful. I know they improved them a fair bit since they came out, but the original game + widescreen mod is what feels the most like "Baldur's Gate" to me. I guess all the flaws are buried in my psyche like some weird form of Stockholm Syndrome.

That being said, I'm playing the digital copy from GOG. I'm not a purist to the point where I'll switch between 4 CDs...

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

And as people told you before it's literally in the options to revert it

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
"Together, friends!" yells Drizzt, as he stabs my dominated Jaheria in the face

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I will admit that if you zoom in on the EEs to be as close to the ground as the original games, they’re a little fuzzier graphics wise. But only a touch and the QoL features are too good. Game feels too smooth to not to play.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Songbearer posted:

"Together, friends!" yells Drizzt, as he stabs my dominated Jaheria in the face

Good for Drizzt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

And as people told you before it's literally in the options to revert it

Hey! I'm happy, you're happy, who cares? Go for the eyes.