Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Craptacular! posted:

I’m trying out Disconnect’s Privacy Pro app, which uses the VPN function to block out trackers it has deemed bad. It seems like when I use Awful, it logs a lot of blocked attempts to “crashlytics”. Is this the app doing that or a coincidence? Could you remove that?

Why do you want it removed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Subjunctive posted:

Why do you want it removed?

Because they don't understand what they're looking at, most likely.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Isn’t that the service pokeyman is using to track crashes?

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yeah it should not be removed

Auxiliary Treats
Jun 26, 2013
Not sure I can reliably recreate it but I have a really minor issue with post previews. Sometimes after clicking through to the preview where it would normally change to the ‘post’ button, it just constantly loops back to the preview. Backing out to the thread view and hitting the post button again skips the preview but works correctly.

iPhone 8+ running 12.3.1

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Auxiliary Treats posted:

Not sure I can reliably recreate it but I have a really minor issue with post previews. Sometimes after clicking through to the preview where it would normally change to the ‘post’ button, it just constantly loops back to the preview. Backing out to the thread view and hitting the post button again skips the preview but works correctly.

iPhone 8+ running 12.3.1

Also on an 8+, same software, same thing. It’s weird!

e: Happens with edits too FWIW but here’s a video of this very post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2XorkfJdEU

Dewgy fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jun 8, 2019

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Hey pokeyman, how do I send a PR your way?

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Nevermind, figured it out, but my pr has 3 objc files "added" which just happen to be the 3 files i touched during my last contribution

Forks are hard

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

The most niche of requests? Can we have the ‘unread posts’ number in the WinPos95 stylesheet be a bit more contrasty / readable?

:eyepop:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

NoneMoreNegative posted:

The most niche of requests? Can we have the ‘unread posts’ number in the WinPos95 stylesheet be a bit more contrasty / readable?

:barf:

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
In the new beta, if you have a url on your clipboard (the idea here being it's an image url), you can paste it with [img] around it directly from the copy/paste menu. Use this with the imgur upload iOS shortcut to get around the app's own upload issues

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Regular Nintendo posted:

Dis one

iPhone XS btw. This one smells like it just might be device-dependent

Thanks!

shortspecialbus posted:

Quick thoughts on [highlighting own posts]

Appreciate it (and from others too)!

Jealous Cow posted:

Here’s another video of the weird behavior on iOS after the app was closed in the background. Note that swipe gestures are broken until loading the awful thread. Going into settings and loading this thread is the only thing that fixes the grey bars, swiping, and weird transparent status bar. It however messes up the bottom icons and leaves almost no touch target. XS Max, 12.3.1.

https://gfycat.com/jovialcomplicateddobermanpinscher

Thanks! The more reports, the more likely I’ll figure it out :)

Craptacular! posted:

I’m trying out Disconnect’s Privacy Pro app, which uses the VPN function to block out trackers it has deemed bad. It seems like when I use Awful, it logs a lot of blocked attempts to “crashlytics”. Is this the app doing that or a coincidence? Could you remove that?

Awful does use Crashlytics for crash reporting, non-fatal error logging, and very barebones analytics (number of active users). I’ve taken it out before and tried to use Apple’s crash reporting, but some crash popped up that was hard to figure out and Apple’s crash reporting was completely unhelpful so I put Crashlytics back in to help fix it. I’m not opposed to taking it back out.

It’s no problem if you want to block it. Apple gives some stats but they’re pretty vague as something like 40% of people using Awful have consented to sending analytics and crash reports to app developers. Which is maybe a sign that Crashlytics isn’t really welcome either?

Teddybear posted:

Imgur upload through the app is busted. I get an error message that I’ve just realized I need to try to upload to double check so if this goes through then whoops

Ok it didn’t.

File type invalid. ImgurException code 1003.

Sorry about that! I’ll add it to the list.

Auxiliary Treats posted:

iPhone 8+ running 12.3.1

Sorry about that, this is an oldie and a goodie. One day I’ll figure it out!

Dewgy posted:

Also on an 8+, same software, same thing. It’s weird!

e: Happens with edits too FWIW but here’s a video of this very post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2XorkfJdEU

Thanks for the video!

Regular Nintendo posted:

Nevermind, figured it out, but my pr has 3 objc files "added" which just happen to be the 3 files i touched during my last contribution

Forks are hard

No worries, squash and merge will make quick work of that. Thanks for the PR!

NoneMoreNegative posted:

No request too niche! I’ll add it to the list.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

pokeyman posted:

Awful does use Crashlytics for crash reporting, non-fatal error logging, and very barebones analytics (number of active users). I’ve taken it out before and tried to use Apple’s crash reporting, but some crash popped up that was hard to figure out and Apple’s crash reporting was completely unhelpful so I put Crashlytics back in to help fix it. I’m not opposed to taking it back out.

It’s no problem if you want to block it. Apple gives some stats but they’re pretty vague as something like 40% of people using Awful have consented to sending analytics and crash reports to app developers. Which is maybe a sign that Crashlytics isn’t really welcome either?
Do whatever you find the most helpful. The endless cavalcade of data breaches, “accidental” excessive data collection and retention, and the FBI and NSA leaning on US companies to cough up tons of data for flimsy justifications mean that you’re always going to have a challenge getting some users to consent to any sort of analytics, and the people who are okay with Apple reporting will probably be okay with another analytics package too.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Just because it isn't everyone doesn't mean that data isn't useful, and there's nothing being collected via crashlytics that lowtax doesn't have and hasn't already (rightfully imo) handed over to the feds when asked for it

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Like to float a minor feature request that might not be as simple as it sounds;

I semi-frequently click into the wrong thread from bookmarks/forum view. When this happens I need to load previous posts, which usually will cause a lot of scrolling or a page change, then find the post above where I came in, then mark it as read. What I'd like to be able to do is choose a post and press one button to mark the previous post as read.

How feasible is it to either add a button to the ... panel that does this or possibly even change the current "mark read" button to behave this way (or even, I 50% jokingly suggest, make it togglable in settings)? I imagine the current behaviour of the button is a very easy mapping to the same button in the forums; is my request particularly unreasonable in terms of how easy it is/isn't to make a button on one post refer to the previous post?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Whether the solution is simple or not, I think it's probably a pretty common use case. I do it a lot myself.

It's definitely a side effect of a fundamental forum design issue, so I'd want to tease out potential X-Y problems first, if possible.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Loading the one post before the one you're up to but anchoring the top of the screen to the first unread one still would work, right?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I continue to be in favour of providing some solution to this. I like making "mark unread" what the button does, because that's how virtually all other software with read state works, but this is previously-trod ground.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
I see this weird thing from time to time that I don’t think I’ve seen mentioned, but some certain unread threads can get sort of stickied just below pinned threads and don’t seem to go away as long as they’re on the first forum page. It seems to generally be some thread with 0 replies, maybe also locked, and it gets placed properly when I open it and it then has no unread posts. I do have the app set to show unread posts first, but these are threads I’ve never visited.

One particular, current example from SH/SC:
This “Measuring Viscosity...” thread:

I’m gonna open the thread and see what’s in it and report back/edit this post.

e: 0 replies but unlocked. Marking it as unread does not cause it to go back to the top of the thread list, it stays where it was in its read state.

fourwood fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jun 26, 2019

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I didnt like using the app years ago because they remove functionality

has it gotten better

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Alan Smithee posted:

has it gotten better

what functionality

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Could we get a light version of the OLED theme, so that content doesn’t jump around when it auto-switches?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Lately I have been experiencing an issue where threads and posts take a very long time to load in Awful.app, but visiting the forums in mobile Safari is as fast as usual. Am I the only one?

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
I'm having an issue on the latest version of the app and iOS where the yospos buttcoin thread is appearing twice in my bookmarks.

I have tried unsubscribing from the thread, then refreshing and quitting the app, but it always comes back again. The last read marker and unread post count is out of sync between the two occurrences as well.

This has been happening for a few weeks now I think. Is there anything I can do?

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Weatherman posted:

I'm having an issue on the latest version of the app and iOS where the yospos buttcoin thread is appearing twice in my bookmarks.

I have tried unsubscribing from the thread, then refreshing and quitting the app, but it always comes back again. The last read marker and unread post count is out of sync between the two occurrences as well.

This has been happening for a few weeks now I think. Is there anything I can do?

Speaking of buttcoin, has this been posted in there?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9aM_dT5VMI&feature=youtu.be&t=6

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Many times.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Looooong shot, I know, but is there any chance of Apple Watch functionality in the future?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Looooong shot, I know, but is there any chance of Apple Watch functionality in the future?

What would you want it to do on the watch?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Cruise through my bookmarked threads maybe? Full forums access would probably be tough, but a list of my bookmarks that when clicked take me to first unread and let me scroll through it would be cool

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Cruise through my bookmarked threads maybe? Full forums access would probably be tough, but a list of my bookmarks that when clicked take me to first unread and let me scroll through it would be cool

So sort of like the Force Touch stuff?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Subjunctive posted:

So sort of like the Force Touch stuff?

Maybe? I mean completely on the watch

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Well sounds like you literally want read only threads on the watch. That would be something.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Maybe? I mean completely on the watch

Yeah, but like the force touch push of the icon or threads do, I mean.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The Dave posted:

Well sounds like you literally want read only threads on the watch. That would be something.

Yeah, just to scroll through and read them. If I want to post my bad opinions I can get my phone out.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Fedule posted:

Like to float a minor feature request that might not be as simple as it sounds;

I semi-frequently click into the wrong thread from bookmarks/forum view. When this happens I need to load previous posts, which usually will cause a lot of scrolling or a page change, then find the post above where I came in, then mark it as read. What I'd like to be able to do is choose a post and press one button to mark the previous post as read.

How feasible is it to either add a button to the ... panel that does this or possibly even change the current "mark read" button to behave this way (or even, I 50% jokingly suggest, make it togglable in settings)? I imagine the current behaviour of the button is a very easy mapping to the same button in the forums; is my request particularly unreasonable in terms of how easy it is/isn't to make a button on one post refer to the previous post?

I think it would be about as simple as it sounds. I'll put it on the list!

101 posted:

Loading the one post before the one you're up to but anchoring the top of the screen to the first unread one still would work, right?

There was a bit of an outcry when I got rid of the "load X previous posts" setting, and putting that back has been on the list for a bit.

Subjunctive posted:

I continue to be in favour of providing some solution to this. I like making "mark unread" what the button does, because that's how virtually all other software with read state works, but this is previously-trod ground.

You're not wrong. I'd prefer for the default to work like the Forums proper does, but a setting makes sense.

fourwood posted:

I see this weird thing from time to time that I don’t think I’ve seen mentioned, but some certain unread threads can get sort of stickied just below pinned threads and don’t seem to go away as long as they’re on the first forum page. It seems to generally be some thread with 0 replies, maybe also locked, and it gets placed properly when I open it and it then has no unread posts. I do have the app set to show unread posts first, but these are threads I’ve never visited.

One particular, current example from SH/SC:
This “Measuring Viscosity...” thread:

I’m gonna open the thread and see what’s in it and report back/edit this post.

e: 0 replies but unlocked. Marking it as unread does not cause it to go back to the top of the thread list, it stays where it was in its read state.

Definitely looks like a bug! Appreciate the thorough writeup, I'll add it to the list. I suspect you're on to something with the 0 replies.

Alan Smithee posted:

has it gotten better

Lemme know what you're missing!

Subjunctive posted:

Could we get a light version of the OLED theme, so that content doesn’t jump around when it auto-switches?

Makes sense!

Weedle posted:

Lately I have been experiencing an issue where threads and posts take a very long time to load in Awful.app, but visiting the forums in mobile Safari is as fast as usual. Am I the only one?

I haven't been seeing it, but one thing I can think of is how Awful detects when the posts have been rendered and so we should hide the loading :v:; it's not perfect, and I think it'll wait for some other page resources to load (possibly including embeds and/or images) before detecting that it's done. When you load the Forums in Safari do you notice whether images/embeds tend to load quickly?

Weatherman posted:

You're not the only one who's had this happen, and it's almost certainly me loving up something in the data model. If you log out and back in (which will also trigger a crash, sorry, just relaunch Awful afterwards) it should go away? And I'll +1 the issue.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I'm certainly not against it. The stopping points for me are rendering posts (which we use a web view for on iOS, and while watchOS 5 will let you follow links to websites I'm not sure a proper web view has arrived yet) and my lack of an Apple Watch for testing.

Now tvOS on the other hand… has the exact same problem :haw:

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

pokeyman posted:

You're not the only one who's had this happen, and it's almost certainly me loving up something in the data model. If you log out and back in (which will also trigger a crash, sorry, just relaunch Awful afterwards) it should go away? And I'll +1 the issue.

That fixed it, thank you!

If it happens again, is there any kind of information you want collected?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Weatherman posted:

That fixed it, thank you!

If it happens again, is there any kind of information you want collected?

I can’t think of anything, but I’ll definitely holler if that changes! Appreciate it.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

it's perfect let's ship it

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

I don't think I've seen this one in the recent list. In iPad landscape at least, latest app/iOS as far as I know, if I load a thread with sufficiently few+small posts unread on the page that the unread posts are smaller than the space allocated to view them (so like, 39 read, one unread post of a few sentences, a bunch of black below it) then the first pull-for-next-page fails and nothing happens no matter how far I pull. Second attempt always works fine. It seems to affect pull-to-refresh too having just tried that for giggles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

pokeyman posted:

it's perfect let's ship it

I'd be all over a Catalyst version of awful.app.