Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Exit Strategy posted:

We have the second-worst username schema I've ever seen. FirstnameLastname. Unless you've got the same as another person in the company, at which point it's FirstnameMLastname, with M being the middle initial, and other distinguishers added on a case-by-case basis. We have three Linda R. Joneses, so the first one is LindaJones, the second LindaRJones, and the third LindaJonesEsq.

For gently caress's sake, the only worse username scheme I've seen is (sitecode)(first initial)(last initial)(serial identifier)(random three-digit base-36 code), resulting in things like llj0zg1 or bar0bbq or what the gently caress ever.

That's the schema we moved *away from* in January.
Everyone should just get a UUID

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

PBS posted:

Our system appends a number if there are duplicates, so you end up with john.smith@company.com and john.smith2@company.com.

We have the same here at the hospital. Guess how many Patels we are up too lol

Also, always fun when a new doc comes onboard and ends up with a number and the person without a number is a lowly nurse or manager, that's a fun fight too! Normally whoever has been here the longest gets the no number name, but Docs think that they > * so, ya.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I got stood up for a phone call with a potential employer I was really excited to work with. I was elated when they emailed me yesterday saying they were interested in me for their developer position.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Vulture Culture posted:

Everyone should just get a UUID

AT&T had the best format I've seen for a super large company. 2 initials plus 4 random numbers/characters. When you're talking probably 2 million user accounts the first name last name system doesn't scale.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

siggy2021 posted:

Interesting development in my life. I did a CTF recently on a team with the lead pen-tester of the company I was trying to get a job as a Network Engineer with. I've tooled around with security stuff in the past, mostly on places like hack the box, but I wouldn't say I'm super proficient at it or anything. I did fairly well, but I guess I made a huge impression because I'm being offered a part-time gig moonlighting with them on security projects during their busier times to test the waters (both for them and me, I'm assuming) with the aim of eventually coming on full time as a security consultant if/when they grow a bit more and are looking to hire someone. I'm excited and terrified. This wasn't exactly the path I had in mind, but it's not something I'm entirely against either. Working 1.5 jobs for a bit might be annoying, but the extra money would be cool, getting to learn more and dive into the security/pen-testing world on a professional level is neat, and from the way it sounds it's more or less helping on projects when I'm available. On the other hand I feel woefully inadequate for this type of role with my current skill level, but I'm trying to keep reminding myself that can't be true, because they extended the offer to me.

Long story short I guess half a :toot: for now.

That sounds like an awesome path to be on. Congrats! And good work impressing folks. :)

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Stop hiring people with boring names or assign them a new name on hire. Problem solved.

I worked at a place where someone else already had my first name, and that was absolutely unacceptable to the secretary. She decided I was now Chuck and would only address me as such.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

KillHour posted:

Stop hiring people with boring names or assign them a new name on hire. Problem solved.

I worked at a place where someone else already had my first name, and that was absolutely unacceptable to the secretary. She decided I was now Chuck and would only address me as such.

What the gently caress?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Compensation being similar, do I work for the company selling ads or the company curing cancer

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

GreenNight posted:

What the gently caress?

She's a really fuckin weird lady. She was the only woman in the office and would tell jokes that made even the cable jockies uncomfortable.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

KillHour posted:

She's a really fuckin weird lady.

Hi Chuck. Hi Gertrude. Call her a different name every time. She'll probably report you to HR then.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

GreenNight posted:

Hi Chuck. Hi Gertrude. Call her a different name every time. She'll probably report you to HR then.

She would just laugh and make a game out of it.

Just lol at the idea of her being offended by anything. She once made a joke referring to her own vagina as a dumpster. I'm not kidding.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Exit Strategy posted:

We have the second-worst username schema I've ever seen. FirstnameLastname. Unless you've got the same as another person in the company, at which point it's FirstnameMLastname, with M being the middle initial, and other distinguishers added on a case-by-case basis. We have three Linda R. Joneses, so the first one is LindaJones, the second LindaRJones, and the third LindaJonesEsq.

For gently caress's sake, the only worse username scheme I've seen is (sitecode)(first initial)(last initial)(serial identifier)(random three-digit base-36 code), resulting in things like llj0zg1 or bar0bbq or what the gently caress ever.

That's the schema we moved *away from* in January.

We use first initial, middle initial, and last initial. At one point it had to be explained to our corporate overlords why JEW@companyname wasn't gonna fly. One of my coworkers has DTF which drives him nuts.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

Vulture Culture posted:

Compensation being similar, do I work for the company selling ads or the company curing cancer

Is there a 3rd one selling cancer or curing ads?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Sepist posted:

Is there a 3rd one selling cancer or curing ads?
I already told Juul I wasn't interested in their DevOps (really)

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

That sounds like what I had at my first IT job, except I think the managers and up had first initial last name as aliases.

The email naming scheme like 10 posts ago.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Thomamelas posted:

We use first initial, middle initial, and last initial. At one point it had to be explained to our corporate overlords why JEW@companyname wasn't gonna fly. One of my coworkers has DTF which drives him nuts.

When I started at my current job we had initials. One user had bad@company.com, another had rear end@company.com and HR approved them all. Thems the rules! We changed once we migrated off of Groupwise.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

How can I work there? I want bdsm@company.com

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

KillHour posted:

How can I work there? I want bdsm@company.com

Plot twist: he already works at MindGeek.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Sickening posted:

Of all the states to accuse of constant heat you choose Oklahoma? Like, have you ever been there?

Okc is fine and pretty much like any city of its size on America. Just as much “stuff” to do there as anywhere in Texas lmao.

I spent a few months in OkC and stayed at that whatever fancy hotel downtown that's haunted for particular company downtown with a really tall building.

Oklahoma is just, a field. A hot field. Bricktown is kind of cool but pretty much completely dead outside of the weekend or special events.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Vulture Culture posted:

It's 2019. I'm sure the cancer curing place is somehow injecting subliminal DRINK YOUR OVALTINE messages as part of the treatment.

But seriously that sounds like an awesome opportunity (to work on something meaningful, not unethically injecting ads into people). SO MANY companies are either advertisers or utterly beholden to them that it would be amazing to be both well-compensated and not work on loving ads for once.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I ran into user 'hell' yesterday. Looks like we do have a drat, no rear end tho.

~800,000 users and our requirement is letter combination between 3 and 8 characters long. I'm lucky in that my last name is incredibly unique, so I was able to snag firstinitiallastname, but I feel bad for the Smith's and Johnson's who I can see gave up and went with aaaa, aaabbb, etc.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Tab8715 posted:

I spent a few months in OkC and stayed at that whatever fancy hotel downtown that's haunted for particular company downtown with a really tall building.

Oklahoma is just, a field. A hot field. Bricktown is kind of cool but pretty much completely dead outside of the weekend or special events.

Dead for what? What city are you comparing it to for context?

Boiling a state down to "Just a field" based on whatever weird rear end mental gymnastics you are doing would probably lump in 45 of the 50 states.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I refuse to believe that Oklahoma is hot enough to warrant that being the primary descriptor for the state given that the entire Southwest exists.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
tell me why I shouldn't live in oklahoma

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Sickening posted:

Dead for what? What city are you comparing it to for context?

Boiling a state down to "Just a field" based on whatever weird rear end mental gymnastics you are doing would probably lump in 45 of the 50 states.

Similar cities. Even Fargo, North Dakota has a better downtown.

Inspector_666 posted:

I refuse to believe that Oklahoma is hot enough to warrant that being the primary descriptor for the state given that the entire Southwest exists.

I can't imagine it getting any hotter.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Methanar posted:

Go look at the states politics. :heh:

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Methanar posted:

Because it's in America.

Additionally you could live in Minnesota where it gets both sweltering hot and deathly cold for weeks a time.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Tab8715 posted:

Does it regularly top 100 for a week at a time? Have you ever been to Arizona or Nevada?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

It's far enough south and far enough from the water that it's loving hot. It's basically Arizona or New Mexico, but humid. North Texas is the same way.

And yeah, it's a super red state if that sort of thing is a concern to you.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Just live where pot and abortions are legal.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Inspector_666 posted:

Does it regularly top 100 for a week at a time? Have you ever been to Arizona or Nevada?

100 is no joke no matter where you are, but there are places in the world where 100 in the shade won't cause your body to overheat because the sweat evaporates. There are places in the world where 100 in the shade still has you overheating because it is so humid your sweat stops working.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jun 19, 2019

TheFace
Oct 4, 2004

Fuck anyone that doesn't wanna be this beautiful

Tab8715 posted:

OKC High today: 87
Phoenix High today: 103

And we've had a relatively mild spring/early summer, we didn't hit 100 until June!

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Tab8715 posted:

Oklahoma average annual temperature is 61 degrees lmao. The average temperature of north dakata is 42 degrees.

Yes, oklahoma is the Sahara desert by that comparison. Whoever is calling 61 degrees "hot" is a goober.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

GreenNight posted:

Just live where pot and abortions are legal.

Then I'd say Canada then but with the way politics up here is going we may not even have those for long.

TheFace
Oct 4, 2004

Internet Explorer posted:

100 is no joke no matter where you are, but there are places in the world where 100 in the shade won't cause your body to overheat because the sweat evaporates. There are places in the world where 100 in the shade still has you overheating because it is so humid your sweat stops working.

While true 120 is fuckoff hot even if it is dry.

You get used to Phoenix heat when you live here, but by end of summer it's time for a trip to colder places. Last year we had 100 days in a row of 100+ temps. :(

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

No, for sure, Oklahoma is a great place. That's why so many people live there.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

TheFace posted:

While true 120 is fuckoff hot even if it is dry here.

You get used to Phoenix heat when you live here, but by end of summer it's time for a trip to colder places. Last year we had 100 days of 100+ temps. :(

This is why I live near the mountains. When it gets hot, a quick trip up to the mountains is good for a good 20-30 degree drop.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

It's far enough south and far enough from the water that it's loving hot. It's basically Arizona or New Mexico, but humid. North Texas is the same way.

And yeah, it's a super red state if that sort of thing is a concern to you.

If you're looking at hot places, I'd go with Tucson. Nice city, no natural disasters, completely dry heat (the people I know there visit the Bay Area and go "whoa it's so humid here!"). CoL probably a little higher than OK, but certainly not CO or Bay Area levels. And it's much much cooler than Phoenix by comparison - only really gets hot for June and half of July and even then it's 100/105, not 120+.

Of course there's no water and that's definitely gonna be a thing in the next 30 or so years, but other than that it's a great place and I've often pondered trying to work remote from there. 5-bedroom mansion for 600k? Sure sign me the gently caress up. I haven't looked recently but I don't believe you can buy any piece of real estate in Palo Alto with a building large enough to live in (like, even a shack) for less than $800k.

TheFace
Oct 4, 2004

This is why I live near the mountains. When it gets hot, a quick trip up to the mountains is good for a good 20-30 degree drop.

Works in Arizona too. 115 in Phoenix, drive to Prescott or Flagstaff. I love Phoenix and all but I have a goal of owning something, even a shack with internet, in Flagstaff for the hottest weeks of the summer.

Back to the username/email address topic. At my current work everyone has a 5 digit employee number that acts as our login, which avoids conflicts, it was annoying for troubleshooting for like the first week I was here until I wrote a powershell script to give me the AD info of a user based on the username so I'd know who it was and their email/phone number, it'll also take an email address or first and last name and give me back the user id.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Bonzo posted:

Then I'd say Canada then but with the way politics up here is going we may not even have those for long.

Lmao pot isn't going to become illegal again