Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Knyteguy posted:

I got my employer to pay me to learn react. My first project is already about to be deployed to our sales team probably next week. Kind of why I put redux in the title.

I’m not moving out of state though, it’s too hard on my son and my wife just started her very good job.

You could spend a year or so in the bay area and then end up keeping your $250k computer touching job and taking it remote. This is common.

Getting paid $65k for coding is not common. Thinking a $30k/year job is "a very good job" is not common.

You are completely self-sabotaging. You have the tools to completely fix these things very quickly, unlike the people you've surrounded yourself with who literally have no other option than living in that lovely town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Motronic posted:

You could spend a year or so in the bay area and then end up keeping your $250k computer touching job and taking it remote. This is common.

Getting paid $65k for coding is not common. Thinking a $30k/year job is "a very good job" is not common.

You are completely self-sabotaging. You have the tools to completely fix these things very quickly, unlike the people you've surrounded yourself with who literally have no other option than living in that lovely town.

Where are you guys seeing these? I see jobs for $120k in San Francisco; that's why I've never bothered. My salary = 117k in SF according to https://www.nerdwallet.com/cost-of-living-calculator/compare/reno-sparks-nv-vs-san-francisco-ca

No state tax here, etc.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

n8r posted:

You're anxious about job security because you're worse than broke and have lived like that for years. You mention being burned out from interviews a few years ago. I remember that vaguely - how long were you actively job hunting? It didn't seem that long. You've now got experience in a more in demand language you need to do it again.

I can't say for sure how long (3 months maybe), but it ended in me going to San Diego to interview for that consultant job, and them realizing they didn't have the budget to take me on as a dev.

Nam Taf posted:

If you were risk-averse you'd consider not taking on a risky high-interest loan. It comes across that you're actually just comfortable in this job and afraid of being pushed out of a comfort zone. I'd stipulate that it's why you so often try to spend your way out of debt - you're really spending because it comforts you that you're making an action that, in your mind, will solve the problem without actually doing the hard work.

Yeah this is pretty spot on, and I didn't have much luck finding a much better job a few years ago besides two that paid the same ($75k). Mind you I didn't interview in Washington, SF, or Dallas/Austin. The recruiters kept finding me jobs in the south for some reason. One offer I got in Virginia for ex.

e: it's probably also important to reiterate that I'm self taught. A lack of degree has hindered me slightly.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Jun 19, 2019

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Knyteguy posted:

I am very uninterested in this. I don’t think I’ll participate further in that case. I’m not very comfortable sharing personal stuff; one of the reasons I fight so hard in here sometimes.

I’m willing to try a shrink one more time, but I want to wait for health insurance.

Edit: or at least, can you explain what is e/n? I don’t even know what goes on in there. I might agree as long as it ends up back here I don’t know what to think right now.

Why do you think your mental issues are not connected to your financial issues and why are you somewhat willing to work on the latter and not the former? Confront your demons or you'll be stuck in this pattern of behavior for the rest of your life. Try different therapists until you find someone you can be open with and actually try. Like "one more time" lmao what!?! Or dont you know whatever keep falling for those tricky truck commercials

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.
California's income tax rate for a 100k job is 9.3%. If we ignored marginal tax rates, you get to keep 90.7k of your 100k job after California takes its cut.

Is 90.7 higher than 65?

Is your stupid excuse for staying in Reno predicated on your inability or unwillingness to do a trivial amount of math?

Is your stupid excude for <current undesirable financial predicament> predicated on your inability or unwilling ness to do a trivial amont of math?

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.
Also moving to California / continuing to make poo poo because you foolishly can't calculate post tax remuneration is irrelevant because of what Motronic and HP on Ice are saying. No amount of additional income will get you out of this hole. You could literally be clearing 4x what you make now and still have the exact same problems, because the decisions you make about how to use your scarce resources are why you are in an $80k hole, not some fundamental level of spend that is required of you but you can't just quite reach.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

You guys are forgetting that they made nearly 100k combined years ago, and their situation did not get any better because they didn't fix the underlying issues.

Fix the basics first :homebrew:

April
Jul 3, 2006

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

You guys are forgetting that they made nearly 100k combined years ago, and their situation did not get any better because they didn't fix the underlying issues.

Fix the basics first :homebrew:

The problem as I see it is that their financial decisions are based 100% on KG's volatile emotional state. When he's upset or bored or angry or frustrated, he wants a treat to make himself feel better and he wants it NOW. He then comes up with a bunch of (grossly manipulative) reasons why it makes sense, will improve the family's quality of life, will save money in the long run etc. etc. etc. and for whatever reason his wife goes along with it.

The only difference between now & then is that his I NEED THIS NOOOOOOOOOOOW stuff is vastly more expensive and impractical.

But it's ok guys, he'll totally fix it now, just as long as nothing ever makes him upset, bored, angry, frustrated, and so on. Totally doable.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

California's income tax rate for a 100k job is 9.3%. If we ignored marginal tax rates, you get to keep 90.7k of your 100k job after California takes its cut.

Is 90.7 higher than 65?

Is your stupid excuse for staying in Reno predicated on your inability or unwillingness to do a trivial amount of math?

Is your stupid excude for <current undesirable financial predicament> predicated on your inability or unwilling ness to do a trivial amont of math?

To be fair, living expenses in California are famously high, and although I'm not from the States I can expect Reno to be a bit cheaper.
But like you say, it's all an unwillingness to face challenges.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
Welcome back, KG! In short, I agree with the hive mind. Pay off CC, build small savings, pay down and sell RV and truck.

I hope you can pull the plane up.

Its been a few years since we hashed this out in the last thread but I do remember he was finding offers in SoCal on the low end. I have to imagine the resume needs to be boned up.

Your lack of degree absolutely may be an issue - with some companies. It means you keep trying and maybe hire a resume editor. Lack of degree with good resume for computer touching just rules out some companies with automated HR screening.

Lack of resume story: My buddy with a 14yr work history and no degree applied for an IT compliance position at my company and I forwarded his resume on to the hiring manager with a brief intro. Mgr asked if my friend applied because HR never forwarded the resume through - my friend of course did. HR filtered him out due to no degree. He received a few interviews and 2 solid job offers from companies around double our size, and took the better one. IMO he got lucky our HR/hiring manager blackballed him, but it just goes to show lack of degree doesn't matter - your tenacity matters.

Motronic posted:

My F-1000 small-cap insurance company pays our lowest computer touchers more than $65k, and dev's are into the low 100k range with minimal experience. And we underpay. We do have good benefits which adds something like 10-15% to comp - but tech companies generally have better benefits than we do. At least the big ones do.

Nam Taf posted:

To be fair, living expenses in California are famously high, and although I'm not from the States I can expect Reno to be a bit cheaper.
But like you say, it's all an unwillingness to face challenges.
If he says apts in Reno are 1.5k, many areas of SoCal aren't that much more.

Degreeless DevOps/SysAdmin friend (3-4ish yrs exp since career change) lives in LA and makes 135k iirc. WFH at least two days a week, good benefits, learning lots of new stuff. His 2br is a little over $2k. Pics and Google Streetview make it look pretty nice.

SiGmA_X fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jun 19, 2019

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Also moving to California / continuing to make poo poo because you foolishly can't calculate post tax remuneration is irrelevant because of what Motronic and HP on Ice are saying. No amount of additional income will get you out of this hole. You could literally be clearing 4x what you make now and still have the exact same problems, because the decisions you make about how to use your scarce resources are why you are in an $80k hole, not some fundamental level of spend that is required of you but you can't just quite reach.

yep

hey man i didn't realize that you got two trucks you broke brained idiot, goddamn dude, what is with you and needing to piss away money on uninteresting new vehicles

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Knyteguy posted:

Where are you guys seeing these? I see jobs for $120k in San Francisco; that's why I've never bothered. My salary = 117k in SF according to https://www.nerdwallet.com/cost-of-living-calculator/compare/reno-sparks-nv-vs-san-francisco-ca

No state tax here, etc.

Where? I run several engineering teams for a large bay area company that you probably have heard of and hire people at these salaries on a regular basis. You may not have the background to walk in the door making that kind of scratch, but it will be six figures and you will have an opportunity to move up quickly into that kind of salary band if you are any good at this, can keep your poo poo together and not spend yourself into bankruptcy because of your untreated sadbains.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
If you live in *lots* of the country I swear there is a gene that you are born with that makes you think trucks are cool and necessary. The Silverado is a super cool looking rig, so yeah I get it.

If KG was to relocate for work, now would be the time. Hell he can even travel with his housing! Move to one of the tech cities, live in your RV for a year or two and get yourself out of your current terrible job. Deciding to stay put and stay in a terrible job with no prospects for better pay is not a luxury you can afford. Similar to the luxury of a year long RV trip, you can't afford to stay put.

The last time you looked for a job, you only had experience in some niche/old language. Now you've deployed software using current in demand tools. Now is the time to get a better loving job.

I'm sure Janus' job has a bunch of upside, but not as much upside as someone getting paid market rate for software development. You have to get your priorities straight.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Janus, what do you do for work exactly? if it's in medical it sounds fairly fungible

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

They own six figures worth of trucks, listen to Dave Ramsay, and live in a trailer on their parent's property with 4 people and like 5 dogs. I'm guessing the reason they won't just move to San Francisco and double their income is "cultural"

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Droo posted:

They own six figures worth of trucks, listen to Dave Ramsay, and live in a trailer on their parent's property with 4 people and like 5 dogs. I'm guessing the reason they won't just move to San Francisco and double their income is "cultural"

gotta stay close to the deadbeat family that is supposedly the source of all of the stress in their lives

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

n8r posted:

If you live in *lots* of the country I swear there is a gene that you are born with that makes you think trucks are cool and necessary. The Silverado is a super cool looking rig, so yeah I get it.

If KG was to relocate for work, now would be the time. Hell he can even travel with his housing! Move to one of the tech cities, live in your RV for a year or two and get yourself out of your current terrible job. Deciding to stay put and stay in a terrible job with no prospects for better pay is not a luxury you can afford. Similar to the luxury of a year long RV trip, you can't afford to stay put.

The last time you looked for a job, you only had experience in some niche/old language. Now you've deployed software using current in demand tools. Now is the time to get a better loving job.

I'm sure Janus' job has a bunch of upside, but not as much upside as someone getting paid market rate for software development. You have to get your priorities straight.

Normally I would agree, but they had higher income in the past and it did not help. Also moving can be very stressful / isolating (even if most of the people they'd leave behind are crazy, you still miss them). I'd wager if they move it will justify a bunch more very bad and very expensive decisions.

They gotta fix the basics first.

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe

Knyteguy posted:

Yeah I agree, many of my bad spending habits came from my parents. I think they already had two bankruptcies at my age. I definitely don’t want to transfer that to my kid.

Well I guess I won’t take my ball and go home. Whatever you guys think it looks like it’s nearly the same crowd anyway, at least in careful drum’s thread. I’d definitely focus heavily on the financial aspect though. I’m just not very good at communicating feelings.

You know the saying, "the personal is political?" Well, your feelings are your finances. You spend impulsively when you feel bad. You neglect your finances because they make you feel stressed, ashamed, and stupid. You let your family's dysfunctions sway your financial decisions. You're staying in this job (and in your mother's yard) because job-searching makes you stressed and uncomfortable. And so on.

Your financial situation is a direct result of your inability to cope with trauma and stress in a productive manner. Same with a lot of your other choices, like living with your alcoholic mother; you let yourself AND your wife AND YOUR CHILD be pulled into an unstable living arrangement with toxic people. You've put your child in the position of continuing the dysfunctional cycle of your family's emotional and financial problems. And if you think I'm exaggerating, try thinking about it in plain words: your son is living in a trailer that's illegally parked on his alcoholic grandmother's property, and his parents don't have the money for an emergency, let alone to improve his living situation.

April
Jul 3, 2006

Here's a post from July 18, TWENTY GODDAMN FOURTEEN. Five years ago, almost exactly.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3586966&userid=81272&perpage=40&pagenumber=4#post432370394

quote:

Bugamol posted:
Your car loan is $27,000 outstanding still at 10.99%. I understand that you probably rolled in the loan from your last car as part of the purcahse, but you effectively have almost a $30,000 car loan. Don't fool yourself and say you bought a $22,000 car.

How many years is your car loan? How many years do you think it will take you to pay it off?

There are varying degrees of "frugalness" on these forums the extreme being:

"ONLY EAT BEANS AND RICE AND LIVE IN A BOX NEAR WHERE YOU WORK AND BUY A USED BIKE IF YOU HAVE TO TRAVEL"

I'm not neccesarily as extreme as a lot of people on here. I bought a new car (granted I put $6,000 down and my loan is at 0.9%). I still have student loan debt that I'm not frantically paying down (I make a double payment and it'll be paid off in a few years). I spend $1,600 a month on rent (I live in CA and $1,600 is around 25% of net pay).

However it feels like you still have somewhat of the attitude, granted it's gotten better, that you had when you started this thread. Everything is a one time expense. Everything is just this once.

KG's Reply:

quote:

Hey cool I'm glad you reposted. I was just replying to your post asking if we bought the car before my wife was pregnant. The answer is no by about 2 weeks or so.

Car loan is 5-6 years. How many years to pay off? <= 1. At least that's the plan.

quote:

Just keep in mind that in November when you made this thread you were certain you were "in the black $2,000 a month!" and it's 9 months later and your financial situation hasn't really changed. At the end of the day it's your life and plenty of people get by just fine living paycheck to paycheck. It's really up to you to decide what really matters.

quote:

I mean technically we are in the black right? It's all a matter of how much money we spend on frivolous crap. I'd like to note that before I got my good job about 1.5 years ago we were living on $19,000 take home a year. Everything we spend money on at this point that isn't rent, food, or gas is all frivolous crap to me.

What matters to me is getting out of debt and saving money. Paycheck to paycheck is what I grew up learning, it's what I've lived the entirety of my adult life, but it's not how I want to live my life.

My wife and I had a philosophical conversation last night about what the hell makes us happy in life. We decided that having a big house, the latest gadgets, a fast car, or any bullshit like that isn't it. It's also not going to be going into the office 9-5 every day for the next 40 years.

We want the freedom to go take a (frugal) road trip around the United States, to hike the Appalachian Trail, to begin working on starting a charity we've been talking about for the past few years, to travel the world getting cool cultural experiences. Blah blah right?

All I know is that when I'm actively posting in this thread our financial situation gets better. I hope that by the time my toxx clause runs out in February of 2015 I'll be able to hold myself accountable and I won't need to broadcast my life to thousands of strangers on the internet to accomplish our goals. I mean for fucks sake a baby is on the way.

My problem is I've never had to save money for anything in my entire life. For about half my life I knew I had a large settlement coming (which I blew mostly on stocks and a used car), and beyond that hey hey financing. I'm desperate to overcome this problem... but it's getting better. This month has been our first real month of giving it an earnest go again. August will be the true test for us since we will have a lot of money that won't need to go towards bills.

I understand apathy after 9 months of circular behavior. I didn't realize it's been that long. I'm very annoyed at myself that we blew all of our hard work over that time for poo poo we ended up selling. Hah.

Negative equity on a vehicle "just this once"? Check.
"We used to be super broke, so we're fine now!"? Check.
"Some external factor will certainly make me straighten up!"? Check.
"Gosh, looking back, I could've done much better."? Check.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

hey Knyteguy you currently are spending ~$500/month on interest for your truck loan and your RV loan.

If you spent $200 on therapy so that you could stop flushing money down the toilet on financing poo poo you don't need you'd be ahead $300 / month. You probably don't need to spend $200 for regular visits. If you ask your therapist for an emergency session and spent $400 in a month you'd still be better off than continuing to finance poo poo.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

also all of this is before medical insurance kicks in and lowers costs to copays assuming your insurance actually doesn't suck

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Bobbie Wickham posted:

Same, I'm ahead on car payments and boosted my contribution to retirement. I also increased how much of my paycheck goes automatically into a savings account that I forget about, so I have less money to spend on nonsense, and I've learned to live within those adjusted means.
Reading this thread so far and this post galvanized me to make another contribution to Questrade (living in Canada so no Vanguard) for the sake of my future self.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Bobbie Wickham posted:

You know the saying, "the personal is political?" Well, your feelings are your finances. You spend impulsively when you feel bad. You neglect your finances because they make you feel stressed, ashamed, and stupid. You let your family's dysfunctions sway your financial decisions. You're staying in this job (and in your mother's yard) because job-searching makes you stressed and uncomfortable. And so on.

Your financial situation is a direct result of your inability to cope with trauma and stress in a productive manner. Same with a lot of your other choices, like living with your alcoholic mother; you let yourself AND your wife AND YOUR CHILD be pulled into an unstable living arrangement with toxic people. You've put your child in the position of continuing the dysfunctional cycle of your family's emotional and financial problems. And if you think I'm exaggerating, try thinking about it in plain words: your son is living in a trailer that's illegally parked on his alcoholic grandmother's property, and his parents don't have the money for an emergency, let alone to improve his living situation.

I hope they dont gloss over this post because it seems to sum up the situation very well. Dont cause intergenerational trauma on your kid knyteguy. I hope his wife reads this as well.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

April posted:

"just this once"

This is a pattern I watch for in people. Along the same lines is the "from now on" mentality.

"From now on, we're clamping down and following this budget!" --> Saves money for one month --> rewards self with a huge spending bender --> cycle repeats

You see these patterns in famous people, everyday people, your coworkers, your friends... it's everywhere.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Ahh yes the :zaurg: cycle

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Do you not have health insurance at all right now? WTF kinda job are you working at? If you aren't getting health insurance through your work, you can deduct approximately $5k from your current salary.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

April posted:

Here's a post from July 18, TWENTY GODDAMN FOURTEEN. Five years ago, almost exactly.

this post is righteous

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

hey Knyteguy here's some more fun math for you because apparently it's scary or hurts you or something

in 2014 you were flushing away ~$247 / mo on interest for your financed vehicles

now you're flushing away $500 / mo on interest for your financed vehicles

doubling at this rate I estimate some time around 2037 you can have achieved your goals and be giving literally all of your income to some bank on interest to service debts incurred to buy poo poo you impulsively financed

okay thanks for reading later

April
Jul 3, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

this post is righteous

And I forgot to point out that his "frugal" trip around the US has him 70k+ in debt now.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

April posted:

And I forgot to point out that his "frugal" trip around the US has him 70k+ in debt now.

at least he didn't ~*throw money away on rent*~!

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Rent and utilities would have been like 15k if that lol

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

hey Knyteguy here's some more fun math for you because apparently it's scary or hurts you or something

in 2014 you were flushing away ~$247 / mo on interest for your financed vehicles

now you're flushing away $500 / mo on interest for your financed vehicles

doubling at this rate I estimate some time around 2037 you can have achieved your goals and be giving literally all of your income to some bank on interest to service debts incurred to buy poo poo you impulsively financed

okay thanks for reading later

This doesn't take into account the vehicles he has now are depreciating at a stunningly rapid rate.

https://www.edmunds.com/chevrolet/silverado-1500/2018/cost-to-own/#style=401729459

Aside from the ~$6k depreciation hit right off the bat the car is depreciating at ~$100/month and he's spending another $120/ month on interest fees.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Nam Taf posted:

If you were risk-averse you'd consider not taking on a risky high-interest loan. It comes across that you're actually just comfortable in this job and afraid of being pushed out of a comfort zone. I'd stipulate that it's why you so often try to spend your way out of debt - you're really spending because it comforts you that you're making an action that, in your mind, will solve the problem without actually doing the hard work.

April posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3586966&userid=81272&perpage=40&pagenumber=4#post432370394

KG's Reply:

Past performance does not predict future behavior

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
A charity! Multimillionaires start charities, not least so that they can unload appreciated investments that they'd rather donate than pay taxes on. Starting charities is not a middle class gig. Even contributing is ill advised for anyone who hasn't secured their income in old age. Gotta focus on the You Foundation first.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

brb gonna start a charity

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
I prefer the Human Fund. It's money for people.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

guys stop poking fun he can start the charity after he's a millionaire from his brilliant plan of

*squints*

spending 10% of his annual income on interest for financed depreciating assets

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Gazpacho posted:

A charity! Multimillionaires start charities, not least so that they can unload appreciated investments that they'd rather donate than pay taxes on. Starting charities is not a middle class gig. Even contributing is ill advised for anyone who hasn't secured their income in old age. Gotta focus on the You Foundation first.

I didn't touch that one before, but I did roll my eyes when I read it. It's just one of those things that's a great indication of how out of touch KG is. "he's an idea guy"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

maybe his charity is to support struggling "negative equity rolling in to new cars we can't afford at usurious rates because i'm just too much of ~a car guy~" people with their Problems