Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
You could put a quad damage up there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

This would make me nuts. Kinda NWS

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Nothing sexier than a dismembered torso gently caress doll.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

moist turtleneck posted:

someone good at balconies please explain how I would use these

every time i see inaccessible balconies, i just imagine what kind of heinous poo poo is going to take residence up there unless the owners are extremely diligent about cleaning. could be some kind of fungal mold, a nest for some particularly aggressive animal, a pile of stagnant water and moldy leaves that slowly rots through the top; the horrific possibilities are endless!

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

GreenNight posted:

This would make me nuts. Kinda NWS

Fireplaces are crappy construction, at least here in central Texas. It's not like you don't have a regular heater for the two days a year it freezes, so why does every apartment and house have at least one? They just get in the way.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I don't follow your thread so sorry if this is a repost.

Grovervich :argh:

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Powershift posted:

I don't follow your thread so sorry if this is a repost.

Grovervich :argh:

somebody said that the pipe looks like it's cut into a blue dome and keeps threading up through that, and now i can't unsee it that way

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Freaking Crumbum posted:

somebody said that the pipe looks like it's cut into a blue dome and keeps threading up through that, and now i can't unsee it that way

The Grover Show

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

moist turtleneck posted:

someone good at balconies please explain how I would use these

Looks like a duplex to me.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Mercury Ballistic posted:

Looks like a duplex to me.

OK. What does have to do with the vestigial balconies? The number of them isn't the issue.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I was so focused on the balconies, I didn't even notice the door height.

It looks like there's one level partially underground and a second level with the mystery balconies, but the door doesn't align with either floor.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

That’s common enough, you enter on a landing and can go up or down half a flight from there.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I was so focused on the balconies, I didn't even notice the door height.

It looks like there's one level partially underground and a second level with the mystery balconies, but the door doesn't align with either floor.

I live in a split entry. There should be nothing but windows above that door. It makes no sense. I suppose you could make a landing with a ladder so that you could climb up and crawl out the window. Then stand on a deck that has a railing that's too low and wouldn't pass code at all.

It's possible I suppose. I've been in a lot of houses that have full height doors on the second floor that open up onto the roof of the three season porch with no option for safety.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

mostlygray posted:

I live in a split entry. There should be nothing but windows above that door. It makes no sense. I suppose you could make a landing with a ladder so that you could climb up and crawl out the window. Then stand on a deck that has a railing that's too low and wouldn't pass code at all.

It's possible I suppose. I've been in a lot of houses that have full height doors on the second floor that open up onto the roof of the three season porch with no option for safety.
there don't appear to be windows in the balconies.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

cursed balconies perfect for christmas/halloween decorations (24/7/365)

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

peanut posted:

cursed balconies perfect for christmas/halloween decorations (24/7/365)

Just put something up there that combines everything. A snowman with a jack o lantern for a head holding some easter eggs, etc etc.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Zereth posted:

Just put something up there that combines everything. A snowman with a jack o lantern for a head holding some easter eggs, etc etc.

Enough with the tacky wacky poo poo!

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Bad Munki posted:

That’s common enough, you enter on a landing and can go up or down half a flight from there.

Yup, I've seen that a bunch of times. No biggie.

But fuckin Balconies....

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

What are the odds they just did that to proof themselves from any liability claims and used the material they already had from the floor level railings?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

mostlygray posted:

I live in a split entry.

Literally never seen one of these in Australia. Maybe houses built on hills would qualify?

In fact, having thought about it for a while, the only one I've ever seen was possibly the Brady Bunch house.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jun 18, 2019

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I prefer the term decision house

You enter the house and you must choose: downstairs to computer? Or upstairs to fridge?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Freaking Crumbum posted:

every time i see inaccessible balconies, i just imagine what kind of heinous poo poo is going to take residence up there unless the owners are extremely diligent about cleaning. could be some kind of fungal mold, a nest for some particularly aggressive animal, a pile of stagnant water and moldy leaves that slowly rots through the top; the horrific possibilities are endless!

Seems like this would be true of pretty much any flat roof, no?

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Jaded Burnout posted:

Flat roofs are sloped for drainage, but balconies often are not. Depends on if it's a flat roof with a railing or a balcony with no entry.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Jaded Burnout posted:

i actually did polyurethane roof repair for a summer job one year in college and you're definitely right, and that's also one of the reasons why flat roofs have widely fallen out of favor (at least where i live). all of the houses we'd have to repair were from like the 60's / 70's and they'd have these non-obvious areas of deformity where time and weather had worn the roof dangerously thin. they were all single story homes, but that was probably the most dangerous type of roof i've ever had to navigate, as it was kind of like walking on a frozen lake; you'd think some portion was safe to step on and then it'd be thin ice and you'd feel your foot start to crack down through it.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Freaking Crumbum posted:

i actually did polyurethane roof repair for a summer job one year in college and you're definitely right, and that's also one of the reasons why flat roofs have widely fallen out of favor (at least where i live). all of the houses we'd have to repair were from like the 60's / 70's and they'd have these non-obvious areas of deformity where time and weather had worn the roof dangerously thin. they were all single story homes, but that was probably the most dangerous type of roof i've ever had to navigate, as it was kind of like walking on a frozen lake; you'd think some portion was safe to step on and then it'd be thin ice and you'd feel your foot start to crack down through it.

You'd be happy working on my roof then, when the builder dealt with being bad at fitting roofs by hiring someone competent to build another identical roof over the top.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
There are a couple of houses I pass on the way to work that have similar inaccessible balconies. It looks like a lot of houses in the neighborhood were built to the same or similar plans with the balconies above the entrance, but at some point maybe the doors were removed, but the railings were left up instead of putting up an angled roof or something over the door.

That house though... unless it were a really short door, I can't imagine it ever having access. Maybe it was built to match nearby houses without really thinking?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Maybe they were originally going to put one of those European style roof hatches in?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Literally never seen one of these in Australia. Maybe houses built on hills would qualify?

Get your chauffeur to drive you through a wog suburb sometime, Richie Rich.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Maybe they were originally going to put one of those European style roof hatches in?

That’s cool as gently caress, I want one.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
Everything in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TT-l6eOSFYY

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Burt Sexual posted:

That’s cool as gently caress, I want one.

Obligatory:

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Besides all the stuff that they hosed up, I'm really surprised someone would go to all that effort and then install such dinky lights. His reference picture has huge panel lights, but it looks like he's using those daisy-chain LED tubes?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

That entire channel is about doing things on the cheap. I know he's working with a Huracan but that spirit of it is still how cheaply can I have a bad rear end Huracan.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Ashcans posted:

Besides all the stuff that they hosed up, I'm really surprised someone would go to all that effort and then install such dinky lights. His reference picture has huge panel lights, but it looks like he's using those daisy-chain LED tubes?
They also seem to have forgotten that the entire purpose of a paint booth is to filter and exhaust the fume filled air and mitigate the fire/explosion risk from spraying solvent borne finishes. They wound up with a spray booth shaped object, not a spray booth. Maaaaybe they’re spraying waterborne stuff but they still need an exhaust system for overspray.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I like all the grass clippings on the floor when he does the test sprays in the next video.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Also the radiators he plugs in and electrical panel in the booth. Hope they don’t blow up.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

He also pays to get it professionally painted in the end and then loads it on the back of a trailer, completely unprotected, for like a 600 mile drive or some poo poo.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I seriously preferred it as a dingy garage full of junk.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Dagen H posted:

Obligatory:

poo poo it’s better the more I know about it. That’s simple user error tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Love to get bugs and probably birds in my house