Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'll try it two ways. I have VMC Aluminium, so i'll spray it on two models. I'll brush one and then I'll airbrush the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007

fashionly snort posted:

Also also are there examples of contrast painted Black Templars or Black Legion or some other primarily black models?

Yeah, there are a few floating around B&C and Facebook, but it's not great. Too washed out and not that much contrast. I think you'd get way better results (and in a similar amount of time) using the dry brush / Nuln Oil technique.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Paddyo posted:

Yeah, there are a few floating around B&C and Facebook, but it's not great. Too washed out and not that much contrast. I think you'd get way better results (and in a similar amount of time) using the dry brush / Nuln Oil technique.

I really like the soft look to that.

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007

ijyt posted:

I really like the soft look to that.

Me too. It's a game-changer for black armor in my opinion, plus it's ridiculously easy. Base coat Eshin Grey over black primer, dry brush with Dawnstone, then two coats of Nuln Oil. Dry brush with Celestra Grey in the areas that catch the light, then one more coat of Nuln Oil.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

PinheadSlim posted:

This is more what I expected, thanks for doing the work for us! It's likely the other person took a ton of time and did more than one layer probably, it looks so insanely smooth. I wonder what the reality of it is.

Yeah, I was super suspicious of it has well, I have yet to see any other contrast models look that even.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Don't most glazes and washes have trouble adhering to metallic base paint though? I imagine if you applied a thin coat of matte medium before applying the contrast to that marine you'd at least get better results.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I've had no issues applying any paints over a metallic basecoat.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Weird, the thinned Abaddon black I just painted the base rims with ran away from the dried VMA silver (from earlier) on the palette and settled around the edge almost instantly, it avoided it as fast as the blue did over the base coat.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Paddyo posted:

That is very nice.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

Paddyo posted:

I hope that one guy who has been meticulously testing his faded black templars theme in the Keep Painting thread is watching this, because it seems like it would dramatically speed up a portion of his process.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Mikey Purp posted:

I hope that one guy who has been meticulously testing his faded black templars theme in the Keep Painting thread is watching this, because it seems like it would dramatically speed up a portion of his process.

You mean me and my Raven Guard?

I’ve considered that method, but no. Too all-over faded for my liking; I want to produce the impression of detail and scale. My next test is going to be metallic microstippling and AK enamel streaking grime; I plan to disappear further and further up my own rear end until I cease to exist.

I mean, it does look good. I just just don’t favor the ‘Eavy Metal strong-edge-highlights-and-clean-flat-panels effect it generates.

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jun 18, 2019

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Haha yes it was you I was referring to, sorry I messed up the chapter. And of course I'm not surprised you've already thought it through, they look awesome with your current method in any case. Hobby on, my friend.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

PinheadSlim posted:

This is more what I expected, thanks for doing the work for us! It's likely the other person took a ton of time and did more than one layer probably, it looks so insanely smooth. I wonder what the reality of it is.

I mean, if you look at it for longer than a second you can see the pooling on it.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

goodness posted:

I mean, if you look at it for longer than a second you can see the pooling on it.

So it looks the same to you as Richyp's example? Because it is insanely smooth compared to that. Thanks for the CSI "enhance" shots though

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

PinheadSlim posted:

So it looks the same to you as Richyp's example? Because it is insanely smooth compared to that. Thanks for the CSI "enhance" shots though

It looks like someone had a little more experience with the contrast paints

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Well, despite having a pack of Space Marines, Skeletons, and Skeleton Knights to paint up, I'm going forward with putting an Ork Kill Team together.

So far I'm planning a Stormboy Nob with Power Klaw and possibly standard because it sounds rad

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Hello yeah professor shark. That does sound rad.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
So I managed to be an idiot who broke a bunch of bones last month (including in my painting hand), but I am finally back to painting!

I finally based a Librarian that had been lurking around.

These Meganobz were the only thing I had primed, so that was what I started with painting wise.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

R0ckfish posted:

So I managed to be an idiot who broke a bunch of bones last month (including in my painting hand), but I am finally back to painting!

I finally based a Librarian that had been lurking around.

These Meganobz were the only thing I had primed, so that was what I started with painting wise.

Glad you're back at it and feeling better. These look great, as always!

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
I missed the blue orks! Also what did you punch

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
The ground, with my upper body. I had a mountain biking accident basically.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Ah dang, glad that's over then

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
Still got a bit of healing to do yet, but I can paint and stuff at least.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

PinheadSlim posted:

goodness posted:

It looks like someone had a little more experience with the contrast paints

I did state that it was a 5 minute test over hand brushed silver with a completely different blue (Arkehlian Green vs I assume Ultramarines Blue), and that if it would probably be a lot smoother if I'd been able to stop the paint from sliding off the metal faster than I could collect it.

The guy probably did do it with contrast paints, all I wanted to see was whether the metal would show through and it did

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
My Apocalypse preparation isn't off to the best start. Went to re-paint the bases of my Hierodules to match the rest of my nids, as they were painted long before Agrellan Earth was a thing. Carefully prised one out of the molded base and set it to one side. Ten minutes later while reaching for a drink I manage to catch the tail and send the monster spinning onto the floor, smashing off all the arms & spines. What's more I'm pretty sure the paint chipped off around those bits is Mechrite Red which is long gone, as it always had a maximum half-life of 3 months from when you open the pot.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Take solace in the knowledge that keeping with the Forgeworld mandate Tyranid biotitans will be trash. :smith:

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

PierreTheMime posted:

Take solace in the knowledge that keeping with the Forgeworld mandate Tyranid biotitans will be trash. :smith:

Hey, most of Tyranid painting gets done in that wonderful period between new rules getting announced and being released. That's the glorious time where anything is possible, and that pile of plastic & resin sitting on a shelf for nearly a decade might not have been a waste of money after all... :negative:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Orks are in focus for Apoc today:
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/06/19/apocalypse-faction-focus-orksgw-homepage-post-4/

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!

Innate DakkaDakkaDakka on shooting and melee? Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck yeah.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

A look at damage and command assets

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

poo poo is going to die really loving quick in this game. I love it.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

richyp posted:

Weird, the thinned Abaddon black I just painted the base rims with ran away from the dried VMA silver (from earlier) on the palette and settled around the edge almost instantly, it avoided it as fast as the blue did over the base coat.

Hmm, I'm guessing airbrushing it on rather than brushpainting it might leave a different surface? It's the only thing I can think of. The only time I've painted over metals that way was either from a GW spray can or an airbrush.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

ijyt posted:

Hmm, I'm guessing airbrushing it on rather than brushpainting it might leave a different surface? It's the only thing I can think of. The only time I've painted over metals that way was either from a GW spray can or an airbrush.

It must be that, I tried to do an Alpha Legion guy using Guilliman blue over VMA silver (brushed on), and had the same effect where the paint quickly unpools from the centre leaving the silver visible and the paint retreating from where it was applied. Exactly the same thing happened with that Arkhelian Green.

I've painted glazes successfully over leadbelcher and over retributor before without issue though so maybe it's just that particular metallic paint that it doesn't like.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Come to think of it I definitely did have that issue when I brush painted some of the scale75 coloured metallics. It would slowly just get dragged down by gravity.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
Hey 40k thread goons: ANAmal.net and I are working on a humor article for https://goonhammer.com and are looking for some photos. Does anyone have the following they've painted and would like to share and allow us to post on the site?
- A special edition Noise Marine
- White scars

The article itself is making fun of the legions, but will not be making fun of your models or their paintjob, both of which I'm sure are spectacular.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

I have plenty of White Scars what do ya need?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

OhDearGodNo posted:

I have plenty of White Scars what do ya need?

Awesome! Just a photo of some of them, preferably with bikes if you've got them.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
He's got those Forgeworld bikes, too :allears:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Continuing to work on my crappy 3D Printerd fridge magnet game:

(WIP)

Previous magnet:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Finally finished the Marauder Destroyer

Apocalypse being re-released means it might actually get used, too.