Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Don't worry, we'll geo-engineer our way out!

RIP the oceans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Furnaceface posted:

The biggest hurdle we have here is convincing Canadians climate change is going to affect them just as much as people in other places.

Its honestly quite amazing and terrifying how well our government and their moneyed interests have convinced us that we are in some kind of safe space, away from all the bad things about to happen.

Canada is warming twice as fast as the rest of the world and the rest of the world is hosed, so if even that news didn't shake us out of our delusions then maybe nothing ever will.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

Furnaceface posted:

The biggest hurdle we have here is convincing Canadians climate change is going to affect them just as much as people in other places.

Its honestly quite amazing and terrifying how well our government and their moneyed interests have convinced us that we are in some kind of safe space, away from all the bad things about to happen.

We have lots of natural resources and our neighbor to the south has the largest military the world has ever known. What could go wrong?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Reminds me of the Bobcat Goldthwait bit about the fire truck

Yes, you morons. Three billion people will be faced with the choice to emigrate or die because the weather is fatal and their food doesn't grow and the marine life is all dead, and the droughts in the American dustbowl will inspire them to take everything we can drink, but before we die of thirst and starvation huddled under millions of climate refugees, we're gonna see a winter where the snow in your four-car driveway won't need shoveling.

Drill you dumb motherfuckers, drill.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
https://twitter.com/CityNews/status/1141089126067900422

Cool, cool, market based language for provincial health services. I bet this is going somewhere good.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

infernal machines posted:

https://twitter.com/CityNews/status/1141089126067900422

Cool, cool, market based language for provincial health services. I bet this is going somewhere good.

Everybody knows those for profit autism services are better anyway! The free market!
Oh wait, there aren't any other options and they're just loving people over.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

That just means they've created a spot in the free market for a JOB CREATOR to move in, because we're OPEN FOR BUSINESS

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

flakeloaf posted:

That just means they've created a spot in the free market for a JOB CREATOR to move in, because we're OPEN FOR BUSINESS

Yeah, it's this one. This is 100% unironically the justification being used for these policies.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

We’re on the Great Dying 2: Extinction Boogaloo speed run.

That said have something non-Canada but hilarious

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
So serious question: which parts of Canada will be least affected, or may see things improve, during climate change?

I'm assuming the southern prairies in particular are going to look more and more like deserts, but what about places like the Peace River region in the north?

edit -
a shameful typo

just another fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jun 19, 2019

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

just another posted:

So serious question: which parts of Canada will be least affected, or may see things improve, during climate change?

I'm assuming the southern prairies in particular are going to look more and more like desserts, but what about places like the Peace River region in the north?

Here is a very good website to help you understand how different parts of Canada will be affected by climate change:

https://climateatlas.ca/

The short answer is that more or less everywhere gets worse in some way. More days of extreme temperature, more periods of sustained heavy rainfall or drought, hell we may even get more snow than we used to in the winter because of generally increased precipitation and the just-below-freezing conditions that generate snow being more likely to occur more often than the frigid cold conditions where no snow is possible. And even if there is anywhere in the country that improves in some way, the strain placed on those places by having to balance out the enormous majority of places that get worse (for example, when it comes to growing crops, or population migration because some places are no longer liveable) will more than make up for it. It is a complete 100% myth that Canada will be fine when it comes to global warming, emerging out of normalcy bias and typical Canadian complacency.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

I don't know... all the indicators point to where I live becoming substantially more livable for humans over the next 100 years.

It's just a shame that the things that will make the north coast nicer will also obliterate the local ecosystem and probably make wildfires a local hazard. :smith:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

just another posted:

I don't know... all the indicators point to where I live becoming substantially more livable for humans over the next 100 years.

Say hi to the tens of millions of humans who go there to escape unlivable conditions where their homes used to be.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

flakeloaf posted:

Say hi to the tens of millions of humans who go there to escape unlivable conditions where their homes used to be.
If there isn't already some canny huckster putting on weekend workshops about how climate refugees are going to send the real estate market to new heights then I think I've found my post-teaching niche.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

just another posted:

substantially more livable for humans

obliterate the local ecosystem and probably make wildfires a local hazard

:thunk:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I heard a rumour this morning that Dougie has decided to slash provincial OSAP loans even further but I can't find any news reporting on it. Has anyone else heard similar things or am I just paranoid?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

I heard a rumour this morning that Dougie has decided to slash provincial OSAP loans even further but I can't find any news reporting on it. Has anyone else heard similar things or am I just paranoid?

I saw someone tweet that they're eliminating almost all OSAP grants but I couldn't find an article about it either.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

just another posted:

If there isn't already some canny huckster putting on weekend workshops about how climate refugees are going to send the real estate market to new heights then I think I've found my post-teaching niche.

The trick will be turning all that money into something of value without anyone noticing.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Apologies if this has been posted before, but share this article and help identify and shame the bigots who assaulted people at Hamilton's Pride parade.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

vyelkin posted:

I saw someone tweet that they're eliminating almost all OSAP grants but I couldn't find an article about it either.

The cuts were announced in January, people are just seeing the effects of them today

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Cool lets vote in a provincial election 11 days before the federal election

https://twitter.com/CBCAlerts/status/1141431377356886019

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I hope we boot that gormless beanpole out. gently caress Pallister.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004

DariusLikewise posted:

The federal election is in October

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
On average climate change doesn’t look that bad for a lot of northern areas but that ignores the details - mostly that weather becomes mores dynamic so moisture and precipitation goes up, it comes all at once intermittently in between heat waves.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

That and all the anthrax thawing out of the permafrost, probably.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

vyelkin posted:

Here is a very good website to help you understand how different parts of Canada will be affected by climate change:

https://climateatlas.ca/

The short answer is that more or less everywhere gets worse in some way. More days of extreme temperature, more periods of sustained heavy rainfall or drought, hell we may even get more snow than we used to in the winter because of generally increased precipitation and the just-below-freezing conditions that generate snow being more likely to occur more often than the frigid cold conditions where no snow is possible. And even if there is anywhere in the country that improves in some way, the strain placed on those places by having to balance out the enormous majority of places that get worse (for example, when it comes to growing crops, or population migration because some places are no longer liveable) will more than make up for it. It is a complete 100% myth that Canada will be fine when it comes to global warming, emerging out of normalcy bias and typical Canadian complacency.

Whoa, this is awesome. This has all the data I've been trying to find on statscan for weeks, in one convenient place! Considerable thanks, this is really fantastic.

E:
:magical:

Rime fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jun 19, 2019

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
Ottawas weather gets slightly better as the planet extincts us.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

Poor phrasing. I meant the brochure's going to get a lot better as the Terms of Service get a lot worse.

Rime posted:

Whoa, this is awesome. This has all the data I've been trying to find on statscan for weeks, in one convenient place! Considerable thanks, this is really fantastic.

E:
:magical:

Woah you're in Hazelton?

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
No, I'm on the coast. I'll have enough saved to buy land up there by this time next year.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

I might need to pick your brain sometime. I'm early days planning a regional teachers conference themed around the intersections of economic justice, climate justice, and Reconciliation in Northern BC, and you seem to be the CanPol Cassandra for climate change.

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/andrew-scheer-climate-plan-1.5181826

I've read the document three times now. Is it me or the Conservative plan doesn't specify concrete emission limits?

folytopo
Nov 5, 2013

EvidenceBasedQuack posted:

I've read the document three times now. Is it me or the Conservative plan doesn't specify concrete emission limits?

You are correct.

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

EvidenceBasedQuack posted:

quote:

The plan, detailed in a 60-page platform-like document, is focused on what it calls "green technology, not taxes.It hinges on setting strict emissions standards for major greenhouse gas emitters that, if exceeded, would force those companies to pay into a fund that would in turn be invested in government-certified clean tech companies — a policy the party said would force companies to make emissions reduction part of their business models.

"It's not a tax if we don't call it a tax. It's just a forced payment into a fund"

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.narcity.com/amp/osap-cuts-in-ontario-are-becoming-even-more-apparent-today-with-new-loan-estimates

Narcity may be crappy but it has been collecting reactions to the OSAP mess today.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

https://twitter.com/CochraneCBC/status/1141464527181090819?s=19

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Imagine knowing youre still going to lose to that amorphous sack of racist conservative poo poo even with stuff like this happening on a regular basis.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Furnaceface posted:

Imagine knowing youre still going to lose to that amorphous sack of racist conservative poo poo even with stuff like this happening on a regular basis.

People rallying around a racist is just called the Conservative Party of Canada so...

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Oh wow. The guy who was interviewed by Faith Goldy on Rebel Media and hired one of the founders of Rebel Media (home of Ezra Levant) to run his campaign, won't denounce a racist MP? The hell you say.

Possibly less overtly racist than Maxime Bernier is a hell of a place to set the bar, but Andy loving Scheer may not be able to clear it.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

DariusLikewise posted:

I'm hoping this is the biggest misplay ever by Pallister but I'm not optimistic. Considering volunteering for the provincial NDP because the PCs have been absolutely catastrophic since coming into power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

littleorv posted:

I'm hoping this is the biggest misplay ever by Pallister but I'm not optimistic. Considering volunteering for the provincial NDP because the PCs have been absolutely catastrophic since coming into power.

Can Manitboa be less poo poo/dumb than Ontario or Alberta? Seems like an easy bar to clear but we live in the worst timeline.

e: Didnt Manitoba's NDP basically collapse on itself during a leadership change? Have they recovered at all from that yet?