Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

but for real you read it here first: minneapolis, madison, milwaukee, detroit, cleveland, pittsburgh, buffalo (I'm sure I missed a couple second-tiers here) are going to be the hot cities of the next wave. great weather (for now lmao), abundant fresh water and farmland, political atmospheres that are on the brink of tipping the other way with a wave of young voters, lots of hollowed-out inner city areas that are in the process of being revitalized, lower cost of living compared to chicago/toronto and much much lower than the coastal cities

even if you're just hedging your bets on a place that's going to be reasonably habitable until everything has the Final Collapse in 2050, you could do far, far worse than the collective largest body of freshwater on the planet

moving to the coasts is a total and utter trap if you're taking the long view

Spime Wrangler posted:

it's going to be a shame when the rest of the country figures it out

disagree, I want more millennials here so we can create a permanent left-leaning hold on our politics and make sure people like Walker and Snyder never take power ever again. plus with all the boomers dying soon we'll need more people anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

SKULL.GIF posted:

great weather (for now lmao)

this is kind of a big deal yeah

my understanding is that worsening extreme weather is gonna be not great at all for the midwest in particular. weakening trade winds would mean it's (even more) frozen most of the year and a flooded morass the rest making farming difficult at best

the one i keep hearing is portland, maine - located on high ground means sea level rise is nbd, it's an old port city that'll likely return to prominence as climate change takes hold elsewhere, and next to ocean means temp extremes aren't gonna be as bad. not everywhere on the coasts is automatically hosed, old port cities with the right geology are gonna be fine and the heatsink of the oceans will be p important in the future

also yeah pittsburgh is supposed to have a p low climate change impact too, though i haven't really looked into what their winters are supposed to turn into

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
but yeah everyone should absolutely be fleeing the gulf coast lmao their poo poo is fuuuuuuucked

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

SKULL.GIF posted:

but for real you read it here first: minneapolis, madison, milwaukee, detroit, cleveland, pittsburgh, buffalo (I'm sure I missed a couple second-tiers here) are going to be the hot cities of the next wave. great weather (for now lmao), abundant fresh water and farmland, political atmospheres that are on the brink of tipping the other way with a wave of young voters, lots of hollowed-out inner city areas that are in the process of being revitalized, lower cost of living compared to chicago/toronto and much much lower than the coastal cities

even if you're just hedging your bets on a place that's going to be reasonably habitable until everything has the Final Collapse in 2050, you could do far, far worse than the collective largest body of freshwater on the planet

disagree, I want more millennials here so we can create a permanent left-leaning hold on our politics and make sure people like Walker and Snyder never take power ever again. plus with all the boomers dying soon we'll need more people anyway

yeah that's fair. it was such a shame abdul didn't pull through last year, but michigan is hopefully going to get a lot bluer at the representative and state level now that gerrymandering is getting shut down through both the ballot initiative and the courts.

duluth, mn and marquette, mi are regionally blowing up with millenials and snowbirds. they both have PNW/colorado-tier outdoor opportunities and growing economies, and the lake mostly keeps temps delightful in the summer. the housing markets have exploded (to like just-sub-$200k median for a house, lol) even while the mines continue to shut down. the lake superior region in general has incredible lifestyle and cost-of-living if you work remote and like being outside and don't need big city poo poo.

you also get the benefit of no tornadoes, sea level rise, earthquakes, hurricanes, or california-tier wildfires. inland minor drought and wildfires will probably crop up at some point in the northwoods, but you're never going to lack for water for most purposes. extreme rain events are an intermittent but growing problem, but aren't going to be an existential threat.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

poo poo i thought i was being clever with my secret plan to evacuate to duluth as soon as colorado becomes uninhabitable but i guess everyone's already doing that

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

twoday posted:

I hope there is cool stuff under those ice sheets

More oil, yes!!!

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

This reminds me, I need to go see Yosemite's last glaciers before they're gone in a few years.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Another thing I should check out are the forests there, before they die off entirely.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
if you wanna see ice just open ur freezer or be brown

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Michigan will be fine until the unmaintained enbridge pipeline bursts in lake superior and the great lakes are rendered into an oily disaster.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

nah that thing crosses the mackinac straight so it's just lake michigan and huron getting hosed

however it would be truly catastrophic in superior since the average water retention time (yrs a parcel of water will remain in the basin) is 170+ years for superior compared to 62 for michigan and 21 for huron. it's only 2 yrs for erie and 6 for ontario so those flush out pretty quick if left alone.

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Addamere posted:

God drat

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Excited to die defending our lakes from literally everywhere else on earth in like 3 years.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

SKULL.GIF posted:

the rust belt: a big up-and-coming place to live

yeah, sure

maybe once the vast majority of decent jobs in the country flee the sinking coasts

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

SKULL.GIF posted:

Great... weather... :thunk:

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

So it sounds like the most accurate fictional future dystopia is going to be Rifts, a paper and pencil RPG if you're unfamiliar

Both coasts flooded and destroyed, and now inhabited only by dinosaurs and Atlantean pirates

the only North American civilization left is a fascist rump state of the US, centered around the Great Lakes where literacy is illegal. Except we don't even get giant power armor as a consolation, goddamn

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

Vox Nihili posted:

it rains in those cities more than once a decade

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Addamere posted:

gently caress me

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

SpaceGoku posted:

it rains in those cities more than once a decade

The brutally punishing winters are generally understood to be "bad weather." And global warming isn't expected to make those winters less punishing, either.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

and they poison the lakes with road salt to deal with the winter precipitation

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Spime Wrangler posted:

the winters are a feature, not a bug

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Michigan will be fine until the unmaintained enbridge pipeline bursts in lake superior and the great lakes are rendered into an oily disaster.

still easier to skim the oil off of fresh water than to remove the salt from an ocean

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Main Paineframe posted:

the rust belt: a big up-and-coming place to live

yeah, sure

maybe once the vast majority of decent jobs in the country flee the sinking coasts

that's the entire point lol, it's why I said "you read it here first" "of the next wave", you want to be ahead of the trend, not a come-lately. imagine if you moved to seattle in the 90s instead of the 10s

there's good jobs here, they just don't pay 400k for jacking off the atjack wannabe, but they're still commensurate with cost of living

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Vox Nihili posted:

Another thing I should check out are the forests there, before they die off entirely.

at current rates you might want to go to greenland lmao

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
the instant a great lakes state allows recreational weed i'm gonna move

and yes i know about michigan, they're not gonna have it on the market for at least another year

coke
Jul 12, 2009

Vox Nihili posted:

Didnt they just had -30~-40 weather back in march or so??

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

coke posted:

Didnt they just had -30~-40 weather back in march or so??

it was january, march was largely wet and windy as march tends to be

if you can't handle 3 months of winter then lol at you handling 7-8 months of temperate coolness and 2 months of heat

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

Vox Nihili posted:

The brutally punishing winters are generally understood to be "bad weather." And global warming isn't expected to make those winters less punishing, either.

there's a salt mine under the region that won't run out before the lakes go dry so it's fine, just bring a coat and some wool socks

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

lol at West coast people whining about bad weather like spending 2 months a year in carcenogenic smoke is normal

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

b-b-but I might have to wear wear a jacket! *Sun is blotted out as 250000 acres of forest and a housing development burn down*

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
i no joke would prefer my boogers freezing in my nose than having to wear a face mask

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Agean90 posted:

b-b-but I might have to wear wear a jacket! *Sun is blotted out as 250000 acres of forest and a housing development burn down*

I ain't shoveling snow or scraping ice off my car or wrapping up like a mummy to survive outdoors for more than five minutes or freezing to death in my home if the utilities fail. I ain't dealing with any of that bullshit. I'll burn first, as it may well be.

In any case, there are places without death by either fire or ice, like the South. Just live in a nice warm, humid swamp, bing bong.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

I grew up in the south an hour drive from a swamp and the swamp caught fire, smouldered over the rainy season then flaired back up the next year so you might want to rethink that idea

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Agean90 posted:

I grew up in the south an hour drive from a swamp and the swamp caught fire, smouldered over the rainy season then flaired back up the next year so you might want to rethink that idea

Drain the swamp.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Real talk though pretty much every part of the country that has any significant volume of plant life relies on fire ecology and controlled burns are a required event that was neglected by boomers, Cali lighting on fire every year is normal in that it should happen, but abnormal in that it's uncontainable burns.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
Cold War Spy Satellite Images Show Dramatic Ice Loss in the Last 40 Years

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Vox Nihili posted:

I ain't shoveling snow or scraping ice off my car or wrapping up like a mummy to survive outdoors for more than five minutes or freezing to death in my home if the utilities fail. I ain't dealing with any of that bullshit. I'll burn first, as it may well be.

In any case, there are places without death by either fire or ice, like the South. Just live in a nice warm, humid swamp, bing bong.

we in the north honor your brave sacrifice and will remember when we have an extra few years

Backcountry
Jan 16, 2009

Agean90 posted:

Real talk though pretty much every part of the country that has any significant volume of plant life relies on fire ecology and controlled burns are a required event that was neglected by boomers, Cali lighting on fire every year is normal in that it should happen, but abnormal in that it's uncontainable burns.

Mark Twain mentions the California fires in one of his books from the 1890’s.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Backcountry posted:

Mark Twain mentions the California fires in one of his books from the 1890’s.

Does he mention if they last like 7 months and scour the entire landscape?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Agean90 posted:

I grew up in Ohio and went to school on the great lakes and all I have to say is gently caress you I will actually burn to death before I go back there.

Which like, I'm in Texas now so that's more literal than I'd like it to be but here we are.