Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
fucc is beautiful because I get to think to myself "wait does miranda have fucc? oh, she only has one fucc, okay"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Mostly I just find myself getting owned repeatedly until I get a combination of decent RNG and making slightly fewer boneheaded decisions than usual, because I am not what you would call "good" at Fire Emblem. I just turtle my way through Hard mode every time a new one comes out and if I feel like babying an archer to 20 then that's my lot in life.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

fucc is a fine mechanic but it should be visible yeah

then again i think growth rates should be visible

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Here's my almost-exhaustive list of changes I'd make in a hypothetical Shadows of Thracia:

--Label the original experience as hard mode. Make a new normal mode beneath it with more modern sensibilities, and a lunatic mode above it for true Thracians to suffer through
--Add modern quality of life like being able to skip animations with start
--Let you rearrange your army (but keep minimum deployment)
--Make warp tiles visible
--Make staff hit rate visible
--Remove fucc. Units who had high fucc will get a new skill that carries it over in spirit (maybe the ones with 3 fucc get +50% crit on followups, ones with 5 fucc get +100% crit or something)
--Make it clear which civilians correspond to which armors for the Xavier recruitment
--Rearrange the action menu so items are in a sane order, instead of having wait on top (the new Project Exile patch already does this)
--Add a turnwheeel, usable in normal and hard modes but not lunatic

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Endorph posted:

fucc is a fine mechanic but it should be visible yeah

then again i think growth rates should be visible

One of the things I really like in the Sacred Stones self-randomizer is that you can view growth rates in game just by pressing Select on the unit stats screen. I definitely thing this should be a feature in all FE games.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

cheetah7071 posted:

--Remove fucc. Units who had high fucc will get a new skill that carries it over in spirit (maybe the ones with 3 fucc get +50% crit on followups, ones with 5 fucc get +100% crit or something)

I don’t like this. Fucc being a multiplier adds value to the supports in this game (e.g. Fergus gets a ton of mileage just by being near Karin)

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Zurai posted:

One of the things I really like in the Sacred Stones self-randomizer is that you can view growth rates in game just by pressing Select on the unit stats screen. I definitely thing this should be a feature in all FE games.

or at the very least visualize it like Pokemon does for EVs & IVs now and just call it "potential"

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Everytime I hear about Thracia it seems rad but I just can't get around to playing it

Remake when

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Before the Black Knight just stepping out of a house in the middle of a map, Galzus coming at me during my escape from prison was one of the best "Oh gently caress me" moments in the series. Max strength, skill, and speed while most of your characters are still single digit level first tier, and he has Astra and Luna with max rank weapons. He reaches you, you are losing that character.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
He also spawns on turn 15 what are you still doing there

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

cheetah7071 posted:

Exploiting design decisions to steal his weapons. Enemies will always capture one of your units if they have no weapon. So I let someone capture him, use the nerfed stats to capture HIM and then steal his kit.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

cheetah7071 posted:

My first time through the game I was bad at it, okay?

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

:sueme:

Full analysis of that Famitsu article.

Good news on the class front - girls can at least promote into a dark mage-like class?
Bad news - why the gently caress is Hero male-only again

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Terper posted:

Ah, the Duke's Daughter

We have found our villain

Reborn as a Duke’s Daughter, But I’m Killed By the Crests In Every Ending!?!

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i appreciate shrimpy-looking ignaz's personal ability making him a good choice to send down the road of being a beefy axeman

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Minus Green posted:

Full analysis of that Famitsu article.

Good news on the class front - girls can at least promote into a dark mage-like class?
Bad news - why the gently caress is Hero male-only again

Personal Ability: Hunter’s Law – When foe has less than 50% HP, Critical rate +20

Petra: Queen of the unnecessary crit

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Brother Entropy posted:

i appreciate shrimpy-looking ignaz's personal ability making him a good choice to send down the road of being a beefy axeman

It also counters the range penalties on bows

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

If I had to guess, there'll be a not-hero class in tier 4 available to everyone. At least, I'm guessing that one infantry sword woman profiled the other day, the one with a legendary weapon i think and has a cutscene slash, would be that.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
interesting choices for which classes have lancefaire or axefaire

also you can't tell me that the hero isn't just a rechristened myrmidon but male only for some reason

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i dont understand anything about the gender restrictions in this game

but classes are fairly unimportant given the systems at play here so whatever

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Do classes even have a clear promotion chain anymore? Is there any meaningful sense to heroes promoting from mercenaries?

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

Do classes even have a clear promotion chain anymore? Is there any meaningful sense to heroes promoting from mercenaries?

It seems like the only restrictions are level and i guess weapon levels

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Really like the style of the black robed warlocks(?)

But yeah they better show some female locked classes since having 2 male locked classes is annoying that they better make up for it

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

boredsatellite posted:

Really like the style of the black robed warlocks(?)

But yeah they better show some female locked classes since having 2 male locked classes is annoying that they better make up for it

Pegasus Knight at least. Falcon Knight probably exists too.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
everyone has a faith stat

ramza returns

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Gamerofthegame posted:

everyone has a faith stat

ramza returns

Considering how the church here is very blatantly evil, that's a fitting comparison.

I hope Byleth can kill god. They wouldn't even be the first FE protagonist to do so.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
honestly it's kind of weird when a FE protagonist doesn't

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
It's gonna be real awkward when the church turns all evil after we promote a number of students to literal anointed clergy

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

cheetah7071 posted:

It's gonna be real awkward when the church turns all evil after we promote a number of students to literal anointed clergy

Fire emblem invents Protestantism

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Theoretically gender-locked classes help to make the units less homogenous beyond growth rates and personal skills, even if it feels like a step backward, so I guess I can live with that.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
Conceptually I don't really like the idea of recruiting characters from other paths, especially if it applies to a lot of characters. The fact that they seem to have paralogues is probably going to make me do it more than I'd otherwise want to. I hope it's limited to a select few traitors per class.

That or every poachable student you don't poach has a pair of boots when you murder them in the war phase.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I wouldn’t be surprised if you still do the paralogues even if they aren’t in your house, at least during the school phase. We’ve seen you can do activities with students from other houses so those points you’re earning need to go somewhere.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Doing paralogues for students from all three houses would be a good way to help you decide whether you want to poach 'em.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
You can't recruit everyone from a class

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

Tae posted:

While it's hard to tell it sounded more like the non-poachable students would be the exceptions, and not the other way around.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Tae posted:

Stop me

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it really seems like you'll only recruit one or two students from other classes. for one thing if you recruited a shitton of other people it'd bei mpossible to manage who you train. I feel like people are imagining like doubling their class size and not just getitng one or two people. The (entirely correct) leak said you'd only be able to grab one, and while obviously that's been disproven by now that being the case at one point or the tester's impression means that it's probably incredibly limited.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jun 20, 2019

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Yeah it wouldn't make sense to actually recruit large swathes of students so easily, easily if they are going to be with you for the war time.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

She's also +3 move

Miranda has ascended

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3892275