Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Okay, I'm no longer having fun with Necrodancer. Once you hit zone 3, the game becomes a de-facto no-hit run because because taking any damage fucks you up bad, and it's nearly impossible to recover from. You basically have to start with armor and a decent weapon (read: not broadsword or dagger) to get to the boss. And by then, you've likely got no resources whatsoever to fight it with.

Maybe I'll try the other characters before moving on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Tender Bender posted:

I finally picked up dead cells and it's really good, and also not a metroidvania at all. It feels really off-base that some people call it one because even though you get a few movement upgrades it's not that kind of experience at all, and seems like it would be super disappointing if you bought it expecting that.

I avoided it for a while because I saw people posting about how it was a procgen metroidvania and that it would be better if it had a handmade world. Then I learned it's a run-based 2d action game where you improvise and try to gently caress em up with different loadouts and movesets and bought it.

I was avoiding it for the exact same reason until I read this post

That sounds like exactly my poo poo, too. God drat switch thread

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Bleck posted:

sekiro also just straight up kind of sucks so who cares what some guy had to do to do his job properly

lol, ok.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I went ahead and got a capture card and i've been streaming the past few days

im terrible at commentary but ive managed to get one person watching / chatting with me each time and even that has been a lot of fun

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

eonwe posted:

I went ahead and got a capture card and i've been streaming the past few days

im terrible at commentary but ive managed to get one person watching / chatting with me each time and even that has been a lot of fun

Post dat link.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Pollyanna posted:

Okay, I'm no longer having fun with Necrodancer. Once you hit zone 3, the game becomes a de-facto no-hit run because because taking any damage fucks you up bad, and it's nearly impossible to recover from. You basically have to start with armor and a decent weapon (read: not broadsword or dagger) to get to the boss. And by then, you've likely got no resources whatsoever to fight it with.

Maybe I'll try the other characters before moving on.

try Coda (dont)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPG6JBUfR44&t=1140s

s.i.r.e. posted:

Post dat link.

ya sure. I was thinking of taking people's levels from the mario maker thread here and playing through some of them when it comes out

https://www.twitch.tv/saiyanprideparade

eonwe fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jun 20, 2019

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

eonwe posted:

try Coda (dont)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPG6JBUfR44&t=1140s

ya sure. I was thinking of taking people's levels from the mario maker thread here and playing through some of them when it comes out

https://www.twitch.tv/saiyanprideparade

I followed.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

:geno:

Yeah no I'm good. My runs have basically devolved into hitting Quick Restart as soon as I get hit once, so I'm officially over Necrodancer. It was...worth about $4.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Pollyanna posted:

:geno:

Yeah no I'm good. My runs have basically devolved into hitting Quick Restart as soon as I get hit once, so I'm officially over Necrodancer. It was...worth about $4.

That's no way to play, the only health that matters is the last half heart

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

BattleMaster posted:

That's no way to play, the only health that matters is the last half heart

That's complete bullshit, if you take damage in the beginning there's no way you'll avoid enough damage over the rest of the run to beat the boss. You gently caress up once, you gently caress up all of it.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Just play the bard

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Pollyanna posted:

That's complete bullshit, if you take damage in the beginning there's no way you'll avoid enough damage over the rest of the run to beat the boss. You gently caress up once, you gently caress up all of it.

By that logic there's always going to be a first hit and you'll never not quick restart

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

But there are healing items and stuff

and some bosses are really easy

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Mulderman posted:

So how much of a scumbag am I if I activate Fixed-beat mode in Cadence of Hyrule?

Others already affirmed that you should play the game the way you like but if you're subtly worried about leaderboards or something, fixed-beat mode is a separate leaderboard!

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Mulderman posted:

So how much of a scumbag am I if I activate Fixed-beat mode in Cadence of Hyrule?

play how you want

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Pollyanna posted:

I can confirm that, although I have beaten Necrodancer a decent number of times, I got hit in all of those runs. It's fine, just stop panicking, use the zone 3 enemy practice rooms if you need them, don't be afraid to retreat for a few steps to get a handle on a situation.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug
Apropos of nothing, I'm surprised but happy that Australia isn't having to pay 20% more for switch games than everywhere else on the planet. For some of the headline Nintendo-published games we're even paying less.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I made it to the castle in Cadence.

Game is fairly easy if you don't rush. Also helps a ton to get a broadsword and level it up.

Is it possible to get everything in one play-through? Is it even necessary? Assuming there is a hookshot or flippers, I haven't found either.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

SeANMcBAY posted:

I personally don’t like cheating in games today but I used to have so much fun messing around with Game Genie as a kid. Who gives a poo poo how people play single player games.:lol:

You don't understand, this is a From Soft game. You know, the guys behind the "git gud" stuff? Everything they make is so perfectly balanced and so well made that to cheat at it is to deny yourself the purest form of gaming nirvana.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nintendo just sent me an email alerting me about gameses on my wishlist that are on sale (yes, I know these are not great games, whatever)

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Waltzing Along posted:

I made it to the castle in Cadence.

Game is fairly easy if you don't rush. Also helps a ton to get a broadsword and level it up.

Is it possible to get everything in one play-through? Is it even necessary? Assuming there is a hookshot or flippers, I haven't found either.

Both of those things exist. I'm not 100% sure but a given seed may not actually place all items.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The second half of the castle is the first hard part ive come to. Gotta get some fairies and power through

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

I think it's Pokémon lore that the Pokémon belonging to bad people can turn bad themselves. What did you do to make that Eevee into a vandal? :stonk:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
that's a good eevee

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Your Computer posted:

that's a good eevee

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Your Computer posted:

that's a good eevee

AEAG

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

:yeah:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

:same: you beautiful Eevee. Same.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Bofast posted:

I think it's Pokémon lore that the Pokémon belonging to bad people can turn bad themselves. What did you do to make that Eevee into a vandal? :stonk:

Shut the gently caress up, cop.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I bought mechstermination bc someone itt said they liked it and wow does it piss me off

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

I see the original Devil May cry is coming next week.
Can't wait to hear from people owned by the first Shadow fight.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The same can be said of most Platinum games.

It's why they're so loving awesome :allears:.
Revengeance was like what people imagine games are like.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Hand of Fate 2 is $20.

A drat fine game.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

asecondduck posted:

Nintendo just sent me an email alerting me about gameses on my wishlist that are on sale (yes, I know these are not great games, whatever)

Mini Metro is fun on my phone but $8 is still a bit much for it.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
Anybody played Assault Android Cactus? I can't quite put my finger on what seems so strangely appealing about it, even though the gameplay looks like extremely generic twinstick shooting action.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Chill Penguin posted:

Anybody played Assault Android Cactus? I can't quite put my finger on what seems so strangely appealing about it, even though the gameplay looks like extremely generic twinstick shooting action.

Yeah its one of those. Brings some new cool features but not the best in its genre by any stretch.
I didnt care for the music and hated the story tho.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Necrodancer question: is there any downside to staying in a level until the song ends? I assume as long as you've beaten the boss you're probably fine?

Ada
Apr 22, 2014

Practice proper gun's safety.

PantsBandit posted:

Necrodancer question: is there any downside to staying in a level until the song ends? I assume as long as you've beaten the boss you're probably fine?

You lose your multiplier but otherwise no you're fine.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Real hurthling! posted:

Yeah its one of those. Brings some new cool features but not the best in its genre by any stretch.
I didnt care for the music and hated the story tho.

Thanks. I'll stick with NeuroVoider if I need to scratch that itch. I still haven't beaten the final level.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Chill Penguin posted:

Thanks. I'll stick with NeuroVoider if I need to scratch that itch. I still haven't beaten the final level.

NeuroVoider is one my my favorite games to play and I wish more people had checked it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Chill Penguin posted:

I have it on steam and honestly I enjoy the heck out of it.