Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
https://twitter.com/donoteat1/status/1140388578691825664

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
One of the complaints about Catrain's long overdue electrification is that they won't be able to fit as many bicycles as before apparently?

I think a good compromise is to build a bike lane along the right of way and give cyclists tethers they can attach to the rail cars so the train can just pull them to wherever they need to go.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

lol

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Panfilo posted:

One of the complaints about Catrain's long overdue electrification is that they won't be able to fit as many bicycles as before apparently?

I think a good compromise is to build a bike lane along the right of way and give cyclists tethers they can attach to the rail cars so the train can just pull them to wherever they need to go.

from a liability standpoint, I'd say if a convenient attachment point exists and is exploited, so be it, while not putting in place any fines or whatever for doing it

switchable magnet 'poons

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Grabbing onto eighteen wheelers while going up a mountain range is fun as heck

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

https://twitter.com/DavidZipper/status/1140953099600846849

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

To be fair, they're probably doing that so they can deny people the ability to travel if they have low "social" scores

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
they should be more like america and not build any public transit at all, dummies

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I just rediscovered this old blog and thought of this thread:
http://vienna-pyongyang.blogspot.com/

A trainride from Vienna to Pyongyang.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Crosspost from the California thread:

Sydin posted:

So without doxxing myself or my workplace, my transit agency just recently got hit with a pretty scathing Grand Jury investigation around our oversight and finances. Among other things, one of the main recommendations of the report isn't just to not continue with our current planned light rail extension into a poorer section of the city, but to look into potentially considering shuttering our light rail services entirely. Now to be fair, we operate at an incredibly steep loss for light rail, and ridership has dropped pretty significantly in the last decade (the report complains that ridership has gone down even though local income levels have gone up, which, yes no poo poo you fucks) however the report goes into pretty loving detail about how light rail is outmoded as a viable public transit method, and that we should look into better alternatives, of course without actually listing any of these supposed better options. Now where could the Grand Jury have gotten ideas such as these I wonder...

Ahahahahahahahahahahaha :suicide:

Poor trains :smith:.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Nitrousoxide posted:

To be fair, they're probably doing that so they can deny people the ability to travel if they have low "social" scores

hhauhahuhhahahhauahahuahhahauahhahauuauahahuauauahhauauau

epic! epic!!!!! EPic

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
this is extremely on brand for guyovich

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

Phi230 posted:

this is extremely on brand for guyovich

in fairness, it's also extremely on brand for people to turn literally every innovation in China into a tool for social control

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Did u ever see the show Black Mirror. Did u

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Peanut President posted:

they should be more like america and not build any public transit at all, dummies

That's right, things are always 100% good or 100% bad, they never have aspects of both.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
china is trying to limit certain group's access to transit, unlike america, which famously has a "yes-fly list", designed to help people gain access to faster air planes for the purposes of free speech.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

R. Guyovich posted:

Did u ever see the show Black Mirror. Did u

Oi bruv what if like my toaster is sentient like

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Impermanent posted:

china is trying to limit certain group's access to transit, unlike america, which famously has a "yes-fly list", designed to help people gain access to faster air planes for the purposes of free speech.

The US being poo poo doesn't make China less poo poo, dumbass

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GotLag posted:

The US being poo poo doesn't make China less poo poo, dumbass

it kind of does when people keep demonizing china doing stuff that often is only tangentially related to our domestic spying programs. or the more recent domestic un-personing programs. like say what you will but they don't purposefully jail as many people as possible to ensure a permanent servile underclass lmfao.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Just make public transport free across the country goddamit.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

GotLag posted:

That's right, things are always 100% good or 100% bad, they never have aspects of both.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FdvXl5GAes

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

that went to poo poo quick

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Larry Parrish posted:

like say what you will but they don't purposefully jail as many people as possible to ensure a permanent servile underclass lmfao.

Isn't that function fulfilled by the hukou in China?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

R. Guyovich posted:

hhauhahuhhahahhauahahuahhahauahhahauuauahahuauauahhauauau

epic! epic!!!!! EPic

????
https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/1/18246297/china-transportation-people-banned-poor-social-credit-planes-trains-2018

China IS using its transit policy as one of many tools in its toolbelt to exert more control over people's lives and ensure loyalty to the Party. Just like how they are also using it as a tool to enable Han Chinese colonization of contested areas out in the far west of their country.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

MonsieurChoc posted:

Just make public transport free across the country goddamit.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

is that train mono or poly, i'm getting mixed signals here

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Truga posted:

is that train mono or poly, i'm getting mixed signals here

Passengers
On
Little
Yrails

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/jen_keesmaat/status/1141479981463351296

RENT CONTROL

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GotLag posted:

https://twitter.com/dril/status/473265809079693312

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
in china they MAKE you gently caress your friends in street fighter

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

you credulous dopes

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

how can your posts be real if our eyes arent real

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

you can put aside the de rigeur scaremongering in here: the meat of it is it's mostly targeting businesses and the punishments are designed for the wealthy, which is why all high-speed trains aren't restricted, only the superfast luxury levels.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

And New York recently passed a RENT CONTROL bill:
https://twitter.com/L__Macfarlane/status/1139493877017120773?ref_src=twsrc

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

“No!” boomed Big Brother. “It was restricted for those with insufficient social credit! Welcome to Correct Thought Train World, Winston. Enjoy not being able to catch a train on account of your wrongthink, you idiot!”

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

got any other tired references to make

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

The joke is that the tiny train world quote was made up and taken as real, much like the social credit story

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

too much track to lay my man

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

What is instead of social credit its financial credit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ