Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I don't really lament the state of history education when I was in high school because I have to consider the constraints. Our district had been in an austerity budget at least for the entirety of my middle and high school years. If I would lament anything, it would be the computer courses--namely their absolute absence despite teasing about them in the course codes. We had AP European and American History, and then honors courses for economics and politics. They started to get some AP sciences courses my senior year (biology). My own personal lamentation is the piss-poor math education I got in elementary school and how I had no good discipline and basis for stacking algebra on it. They put me in a remedial calculus group my freshman year because of it, but I destroyed that and statistics. I think it was just because everybody was basically starting over with a new model for math, and that gave me a shot to actually have a foundation for once.

If there's anything I would have liked to tweak with history, it would have been having something that deep dives into just one topic because I think some very different, important skills for understanding history come out from depth instead of breadth. Us engineer folks piss on the social "sciences" (hurrrrr) as not being skilled in some particular way. That's of course complete bullshit. These same people will tell you there are plenty of skills involved in understanding context over time, which is, you know, loving history. But yeah, it seems stupid when there isn't much time to do more than the Particle Man theory of history ("SomethingMan, SomethingMan, SomethingMan meets Particle Man. They had a fight, SomethingMan wins."). But even if you had something like this, your average American school teacher has to juggle all that with a regular school population that is juggling keeping the drat kids still long enough and everything else. And if you went into even just half a year on some obscure topic, most of the people are just going to be all like, "when will I ever use this?" despite the topic be mostly irrelevant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
I think I made this comment in the last thread, but I learned more about history from Iron Maiden and Rush songs than I did from school probably up to 8th grade. Also old war movies, because I remember my elementary school mind being pretty blown by Audie Murphy doing all his insanity and then playing himself in To Hell and Back.

And to further add on to what was mentioned before, yeah, the 30 Years War is definitely never touched on or even mentioned in American schools before college-level speciality courses.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Don Gato posted:

This is depressingly common outside the US too. I had a better grasp of the Mexican Revolution in high school than my cousin's who literally had that as their curriculum. And they weren't in the local public schools, this includes my cousin's in the prestigious German School as well. Granted they were all quadrilingual by the time they graduated high school while I struggled with two but knowing the politics and history of the Revolution are also important.

Do you of any good primers on the revolution or just Mexican history in general? It disturbs me when I think about how little I know about our only interesting neighbor.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Do you of any good primers on the revolution or just Mexican history in general? It disturbs me when I think about how little I know about our only interesting neighbor.
Revolutions Podcast just wrapped up a long series on the Mexican Revolution, that seems like a good place to start.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

I'm not really a podcast guy. Are there any transcriptions available?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Don't piss on the Bear Flag, son.

virgin california bear flag vs chad zheleznogorsk bear flag

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
i have been seen

https://twitter.com/njtmulder/status/1138569360811929605

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
Did you guys know Africa was a theater of the Thirty Years War? I didn't.

https://www.nybooks.com/articles/2019/06/27/medieval-africa-lost-kingdoms/

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Most of the books I'd recommend are in Spanish and I don't think they have English translations, but I liked Villa and Zapata: A History of the Mexican Revolution as an intro to two of the biggest figures in the revolution (also coincidentally my favorite figures, get hosed Carranza). Another amazing primary source is Insurgent Mexico by John Reed, it's a first hand account of a man who was with Pancho Villa in 1913. The same author is much more famous for his book Ten Days that Shook the World, so if you like that book I recommend you read it.

La Revolución: Mexico's Revolution as Memory, Myth, and History is an interesting book about how the state, from 1910 on, tried to forge a coherent narrative from the contradictory and hilariously complicated revolutionary history and also looks into how the Revolution is remembered and how it still influences modern Mexico.

Unfortunately I don't have any good suggestions for a general overview of Mexican history, the problem is it's very complicated what with the 19th century consisting of an 11 year war of Independence, two empires, the French invaded at least twice, war with the US, native American revolt, multiple civil wars between liberals and conservatives, Santa Ana was president 12 times over 22 years and declared himself a dictator at least three times, a final civil war over the idea of No Reelection and then a dictatorship that lasted until 1911. And that doesn't cover the hundreds of years of Spanish rule or the entire mess that was la guerra sucia in the 60s and 70s. I had a few posts on the war of Independence back in the first iteration of this thread, but then I had brainworks and enlisted so I barely have free time for effort posts anymore since it took a lot of research to disentangle all the factions and how the Napoleonic wars influenced everything.

Edit: I literally just found this out and figured you'd all find this interesting as well. At the risk of doxxing myself, my grandparents live in colonia San Jerónimo Lídice, México City, and for years I had no idea why the third name in the (district? Burroughs? Not sure how you'd translate colonia) was a random foreign word. Turns out that it's named after a village named Lidice, Czechoslovakia, home of the famous Lidice Massacre, when the Nazis wiped it off the face of the Earth as revenge for the assassination of Reinhard Heydrich. The stated goal of the massacre was to wipe the name Lídice from the historical record, so no one would ever know it existed. The Mexican government added the name Lídice to the colonia to make sure some memory of the village would live on no matter what Hitler's intentions were. Also turns out there's still an annual commemoration at the San Jerónimo church in the colonia, I just didn't know because I normally avoid church services like the plague due to personal beliefs.

Don Gato fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Jun 20, 2019

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
that's beautiful, don gato

i came for the women in combat, i stayed to remind everyone that black powder will never die

https://twitter.com/mountainherder/status/1141401245439143936

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

HEY GUNS posted:

that's beautiful, don gato

i came for the women in combat, i stayed to remind everyone that black powder will never die

https://twitter.com/mountainherder/status/1141401245439143936

Holy poo poo, the absolute insanity of fielding black powder as guerillas. I'm imagining just, like one volley and then hauling rear end before anyone realizes what happened.

Loezi
Dec 18, 2012

Never buy the cheap stuff
Someone interest in early cold war stuff will probably find this publicly available thing interesting. I know I did.

Tynkkynen & Jouko. 2007. Towards east or west?: Defence planning in Finland 1944-1966. National Defence University, Helsinki.

quote:

1. Introduction

Finland found itself in an extraordinary position in the international political arena during the Cold War, accomplishing a successful balancing act within the sphere of influence of the Soviet Union but managing in spite of political "Finlandization" to preserve its national autonomy and western social order. The period was also an interesting one in a military sense, as Finland was committed to fulfilling, or at least being prepared to fulfil, its obligations under the military clauses of its Agreement of Friendship, Cooperation and Mutual Assistance (FCMA Treaty) with the Soviet Union at the same time as the most concrete external military threat to the country's independence came precisely from the other party to that agreement.

Reviews have been published earlier of trends in Finnish defence policy during that period, but the actual operational plans have remained in the depths of the archives. It has been possible to construct an overall picture of these defence plans only since the transfer of the majority of the confidential material in the possession of the Operations Division at General Headquarters to the Military Archives at the beginning of the present decade. The purpose of this paper is therefore to describe trends in operational planning aimed at the defence of Finland in the years 1944-1966. In order to facilitate the handling of this theme, we may distimguish the following questions to which answers are sought here:
  1. How did the spectrum of perceived threats that served as a basis for operational planning alter during that period, and did it correspond to the true situation in which the Finns found themselves?
  2. What changes took place in the mobilization system?
  3. How did the availability of hardware and equipment for the defence forces develop during this period? 4. Did the exercises held conform to the operational plans?
The relevant defence documentation was for the most part declared either secret (closed for a period of 25 years) or top secret (closed for a period of 40 years), with the actual operational plans falling into the latter category. This is the main reason why the period to be studied here is limited to 1944-1966, although the latter date is also justified on the grounds that the last revisions to the OpPlan-57 were made in the mid-1960s, just before the transfer to a new peacetime organization. Thus we can with a clear conscience bring our study of operational planning to a close at that point.

We had access to all the material deposited in the Military Archives that is relevant to the period in question, the most important documents for the present purpose being those of the General Headquarters Operations Division, which are now available in the Military Archives for the period up to 1960 in the case of top secret documents and up to 1973 for secret ones...

ETA:

quote:

The confidential archives of the divisional headquarters were for the most part available to us, although it is probable that some material may not yet have been lodged with the Military Archives or may have been destroyed in connection with reductions in these archives. The reason for the latter situation lies in the common practice of recording the most confidential papers of all as rough drafts in various correspondence ledgers, so that officially they did not exist as recorded documents at all. It was then a relatively straightforward matter to destroy them. Thus it is highly likely that a large number of the draft documents that contained ideas put forward by planners and decision-makers in the form of notes added in the margins will have been lost for ever.

There's something really hilarious about the bolded part from an organizational perspective.

Loezi fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Jun 20, 2019

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

FAUXTON posted:

Holy poo poo, the absolute insanity of fielding black powder as guerillas. I'm imagining just, like one volley and then hauling rear end before anyone realizes what happened.
That's how a lot of guerrilla warfare works, even with modern weapons. You set up a roadblock, pop out to shoot as many people as you can, and then haul rear end while the enemy stumbles into traps chasing you.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Siivola posted:

That's how a lot of guerrilla warfare works, even with modern weapons. You set up a roadblock, pop out to shoot as many people as you can, and then haul rear end while the enemy stumbles into traps chasing you.

yeah but with black powder you get one shot before a lengthy reload, and firing is all but guaranteed to give away your position so "as many people as you can" is at most "as many people as you have" and usually guerilla warfare doesn't involve you ambushing with more of your people than they have of theirs.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Jun 20, 2019

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

FMguru posted:

Revolutions Podcast just wrapped up a long series on the Mexican Revolution, that seems like a good place to start.

Can't recommend that podcast enough, just started in on the Russian Revolution.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

It's not like fifteen AKs magdumping at a truck are exactly hard to notice either. You do what you can with what you've got. :shrug:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Siivola posted:

It's not like fifteen AKs magdumping at a truck are exactly hard to notice either. You do what you can with what you've got. :shrug:

but you're firing hundreds of rounds a minute, you might have mowed two thirds of the patrol down before even having to change magazines

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

FAUXTON posted:

yeah but with black powder you get one shot before a lengthy reload, and firing is all but guaranteed to give away your position so "as many people as you can" is at most "as many people as you have" and usually guerilla warfare doesn't involve you ambushing with more of your people than they have of theirs.

On the other hand, you get a free bonus smokescreen to cover your withdrawal! :sun:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

FAUXTON posted:

a proper guerrilla campaign in fact only involves you ambushing where the enemy is weak - the entire principle is that your enemy cannot be strong everywhere, so you attack him where he is weak, and force him to spend a lot of time and effort shuffling around (and thus depleting) finite resources

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

^ I get that it's all about having to pick the fights you can win - it's still a guerilla resistance with muzzleloaders against automatic weapons.

feedmegin posted:

On the other hand, you get a free bonus smokescreen to cover your withdrawal! :sun:

:v: that's true - I was thinking of how to address "it worked in the American Revolutionary War so why not against Arisakas and Type 99s" and just imagined this pea soup of smoke enveloping everything as both sides start firing muskets.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Jun 20, 2019

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

FAUXTON posted:

:v: that's true - I was thinking of how to address "it worked in the American Revolutionary War so why not against Arisakas and Type 99s" and just imagined this pea soup of smoke enveloping everything as both sides start firing muskets.

It didn't really work in the Revolutionary War, though. The irregular warfare that ended up working was more of the frontier/carolinas chevauchee type stuff, not popping out behind trees. Even the state colonial militias tried to fight like regular soldiers after Lexington and Concord. Continental Army regulars fighting Euro-style plus French manpower, artillery, and warships did the trick.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
We're talking about guerilla fighting in hilltop jungles. It would be pretty easy for people well versed in the local terrain to escape. I imagine by 'muzzle loading firearms' we probably mean jezails (or similar rifles) here.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Jun 20, 2019

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Fangz posted:

We're talking about guerilla fighting in hilltop jungles. It would be pretty easy for people well versed in the local terrain to escape. I imagine by 'muzzle loading firearms' we probably mean jezails (or similar rifles) here.

That they had one shot per person before needing to escape, lest the survivors start firing lots of bullets at the conspicuous cloud of smoke, is the part that makes it insane.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

it also doesn't really make sense to me because an early in an insurgency is grab the guns of your enemies if they're better than your poo poo

like yes i am sure they had rifled muskets to start with but as soon as you kill the first dumbass japanese garrison soldier on patrol you grab his rifle, or you bribe a BNA soldier to "lose" his rifle

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Apparently the UK started sending her supplies so they switched to sten guns later on

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

HEY GUNS posted:

Did you guys know Africa was a theater of the Thirty Years War? I didn't.

https://www.nybooks.com/articles/2019/06/27/medieval-africa-lost-kingdoms/

Neat.

One of my favourite articles I've ever read is about 15th century printing presses in Africa.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

That they had one shot per person before needing to escape, lest the survivors start firing lots of bullets at the conspicuous cloud of smoke, is the part that makes it insane.

The cloud of smoke isn't that conspicuous at 250 metres, depending on lighting conditions and terrain and all that. Not that the original source even said they used black powder.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jun 20, 2019

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

CommonShore posted:

One of my favourite articles I've ever read is about 15th century printing presses in Africa.

Oh my goodness please give me more details.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mr Enderby posted:

I'm looking for the article. I was sure it was by David Carlson, but that certainty is dropping. The short version is that almost immediately after getting their hands on the tech, a group of Jesuits set up shop in Africa.

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

What happened to motorcycle infantry? Simply too vulnerable compared to a full APC and not that much more maneuverable?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Fangz posted:

The cloud of smoke isn't that conspicuous at 250 metres, depending on lighting conditions and terrain and all that. Not that the original source even said they used black powder.

I took "ancient muzzle-loading guns" to mean black powder, plus given the way breechloaders predated smokeless powder it would be a near certainty that muzzleloader meant black powder.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

FAUXTON posted:

You choose your ambush position so that your escape route is covered from
fire.

Like, escaping before the enemy figures out what the gently caress is a key part of the exercise even today. You don't go in hoping to utterly annihilate them, you just grab the low-hanging fruit and go.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

it also doesn't really make sense to me because an early in an insurgency is grab the guns of your enemies if they're better than your poo poo

like yes i am sure they had rifled muskets to start with but as soon as you kill the first dumbass japanese garrison soldier on patrol you grab his rifle, or you bribe a BNA soldier to "lose" his rifle

True but you’ll need ammo for that weapon and the ability to maintain it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Flappy Bert posted:

What happened to motorcycle infantry? Simply too vulnerable compared to a full APC and not that much more maneuverable?

The US military still uses multifuel dirtbikes (Kawasaki KLRs), primarily for courier/liason stuff. But you have a couple of problems with full on motorcycle infantry:

1) lousy off road, pretty much restricted to road travel
2) vulnerable to all manner of stuff
3) doesn't provide a good firing platform
4) doesn't carry many guys, so you end up needing a lot of bieks

when you look at it, there's not a lot of advantage over putting the guys in trucks, which is likely cheaper and more useful.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

FastestGunAlive posted:

True but you’ll need ammo for that weapon and the ability to maintain it.

you get ammo from the guy you got the gun from (and your raids on supply depots/convoys/etc), and maintaining a bolt action rifle is pretty simple. yes, if you have a major failure you aren't going to fix it, but c'est la guerre

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mr Enderby posted:

I also realize now that something in my chronology must be off so this is officially now A Thing for me

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Motorcycle infantry: Dumber than airborne infantry?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Fangz posted:

If it's a muzzleloader, it's almost definitely black powder. You can make a flintlock or matchlock musket, bullets, and black powder easily from readily available materials with simple hand tools while smokeless powder requires more chemistry setup (or cartridges to pull apart) and far more caution to avoid a spike in power that will blow the gun up.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

you get ammo from the guy you got the gun from (and your raids on supply depots/convoys/etc), and maintaining a bolt action rifle is pretty simple. yes, if you have a major failure you aren't going to fix it, but c'est la guerre

Sure but easier said than done and likely thus why these guerillas stuck with their muzzle loaders. No doubt they used captured equipment when able but seems they weren’t able to do so en made

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

If it's a muzzleloader, it's almost definitely black powder. You can make a flintlock or matchlock musket, bullets, and black powder easily from readily available materials with simple hand tools while smokeless powder requires more chemistry setup (or cartridges to pull apart) and far more caution to avoid a spike in power that will blow the gun up.

Where do they get the saltpetre from? I was kinda supposing they would be pulling apart cartridges to get at powder to use with these guns, upgraded to be able to withstand the pressures.