Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Diavolo's theme has grown on me but its not even close to Kira's or the Pillar Men's themes which are both excellent for entirely different reasons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I just love how wonderfully drat creepy Kira's theme is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yGGNohmAT0

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
The best part of that song is how 2:12 is pretty much always used to highlight a "Kira is a big weirdo" moment. Like punching Koichi in the face or the sandwich thing.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Hey, so I let GioGio Crime Boys Wind slip by pretty freaking hard and now i'm gonna catch up and update. Manga reader here, so I already mostly know what's up.

God, i forgot how good Narancia's backstory was.
And then in the present, he's a tiny kid being crushed by a shoe.
I completely forgot that the enemy puts narancia in a loving booze bottle to have him wrestle a spider.

HOW THE gently caress WILL NARANCIA GET OUT OF BEING BITTEN AND WEBBED ALRADY??
Oh yeah, just explode cars. God I love my jojos.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jun 19, 2019

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I feel like the lack of agency the characters have in part 5, at least pre-boat scene, is part of the point of the story.
Before the boat scene, Bruno and Giorno are all gung ho about how this is the only life they can have so even if they know that there's a lot of lovely aspects they're just going to have to go along with it as long as possible so they can make their way to the top. They see a lot of poo poo along the way, like the man who kills himself for their mission that they don't even believe in. The entire reason they couldn't teach Trish about her powers and she couldn't fight along side them, despite having a stand, is because of the mission.
I like that aspect that the story is about how trying to go along with a knowingly terrible system and changing it from the inside doesn't work, because to go along with it you have to basically be assimilated into it.

No argument that maybe something more could have happened after the boat scene, but they haven't been following Polnerof the whole time, it's only been two episodes. Rest of the time it's basically the same story as part 3, traveling and gathering clues while fighting stand users. And no argument Giorno is a lame jojo, Bruno's kind of more the main character than Giorno since it was his decision to abandon the mission, and Bruno has more story to him.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
One thing I kinda miss is that parts 1/2/3 all had completely different soundtracks from each other in very different styles. 4 and 5 while good, are basically just more of part 3. It would been cool if they had continued what they were doing and given part 4 and 5 their own flavors.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

It's weird how you all say Bruno. Walking around saying BUCCALETTI loudly is more fun

Edit: I just looked it up and not only is his name Bruno it's also spelled Buccellati but I feel my point still stands

Alan_Shore fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Jun 19, 2019

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Alan_Shore posted:

It's weird how you all say Bruno. Walking around saying BUCCALETTI loudly is more fun

Edit: I just looked it up and not only is his name Bruno it's also spelled Buccellati but I feel my point still stands

It's spelled Bucciarati, Buccelati is a fan misromanization that stuck around for some reason.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Blaze Dragon posted:

It's spelled Bucciarati, Buccelati is a fan misromanization that stuck around for some reason.

Prolly cause of the cookies.

When we got characters just straight-up named after basic items of food, he really should have his name be the same as the cookies, imo.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
God drat it. Every single episode polnareff doesn't believe they are in danger. Haha a dream with a dog we saw dead irl? How fun!

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

The best part of that song is how 2:12 is pretty much always used to highlight a "Kira is a big weirdo" moment. Like punching Koichi in the face or the sandwich thing.

I mean the whole theme is completely different vibe from what the rest of the music in the show is so it's all "Kira's a big weirdo". David Prod does sometimes cut corners on animation but hats off to their sound design team, from voices to little sounds, the anime delivers in spades.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I will say if you don't have Last Train Home on repeat you've done messed up

So far my rankings are

Stardust Crusaders
Next you're going to say: Jonathan Joestar
Jonathan Joestar-- NANI
This one
Chasm into the earth
Part 1

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Part 1 may be the least Jojo out of all the parts but it's also the only part to have a close personal rivalry between the hero and the villain. Jonathan is out to stop Dio because yes, he's the bad guy and he must be stopped from doing bad guy stuff, but he's also his brother and in a way, it pains him to have to fight him.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Part one was a bit of a slog for me, even though it was short. Mainly because the Knights arc is pretty boring. Those two are just not memorable. I hate quite a few villains (Alessi is one of the biggest ones), but Araki can write stuff that you remember for a long time, even if you dislike it, because it's so loving absurd. Even Jack the Ripper had more to him because dude was hiding inside a live horse. With Knight duo? I think I only remember Zeppeli, setpieces, Dio on the mountain, Luck and Pluck. Some scenes, but nothing about the villains themselves.
Still, Part 1 has its moments. Dio is fantastic, there are some great jokes and violence on the verge of body horror, along with poses and weird colors. There's just not too much of it all.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
that knight can control his hair.

like that's person's whole power later in the series, but bruford can just DO that. and then jonathan punches him so good that he beats the humanity back into him and bruford dies thinking of jonathan as a sworn brother after renaming his sword with his own blood

the fight with tarukus also leads to zeppeli walking towards his certain death which is sick in the moment

i've read and watched part 1 more than most people so i understand if it's forgettable, but like, there's reason part 1 has multiple references in stuff like dark souls and castlevania. cause it owns

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
I like how the further part 1 goes along, the closer Jonathan and Dio become through the fighting, even though they're trying to kill each other. I don't know how common that is in shounen, but it adds a little more kick.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

The beginning of part one with Jonathan and Dio Brando is some of the best JoJo. The rest isn't quite as good, but it still builds on that beginning so it's a lot more forgivable.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Blaze Dragon posted:

It's ambiguous because of the Japanese spelling, but buccelati both fits the food theme naming convention and is a fashion brand

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Darko posted:

The beginning of part one with Jonathan and Dio Brando is some of the best JoJo.

:yeah:

I think Part 1 gets flak because the fights are probably some of the most straightforward in the series once Hamon gets introduced. It's basically "Oh no, I can't hit him with the Ripple. I'll have to do something borderline suicidal to fix that." in almost every fight, sometimes removing the borderline part.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Okay, hopefully this time I'll get to actually watch a few episodes in a row.

Time for mirrors. I love this. I love how much Abbaccio hates Giorno.
Oh yeah, Purple Haze is Outside the mirror and gonna gently caress everyone up some
Oh yeah, Fugo had to deal with Rough poo poo from a teacher.
Christ, Purple Haze is an evil-rear end stand
this stupid idiot stand
"poo poo, that's a stand!" is a pretty good little summary of jojo
"dammit, 'm gonna die, and even worse, Giorno was right! I can't let that happen!"
god how the gently caress does this mirror poo poo end with the baddie out?? i swear they get too crazy for my memory
gently caress you giorno and your brick snake bullshit
succ snek get heal
and now boobie shenanigans. love these crime boys
"loving christ, what the hell?! WHAT THE gently caress?? HONEY WHAT IS THIS?!" my girlfriend's reaction to Narancia getting older.
Mista dropping bullets from his hats into his gun is stupid as gently caress.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jun 19, 2019

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

For a guy with an ability arguably better than Death XIII, Illuso sure was chumped pretty hard.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

For a guy with an ability arguably better than Death XIII, Illuso sure was chumped pretty hard.

It's basically a near perfect Stand User assassination tool. If Girono had taken a stupidly suicidal gamble that no sane person would have, Illuso would have won fairly easily.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i think the funniest way to have taken out illuso would be for him to pull someone into the mirror realm but it turns out the person he grabbed is just really loving good at fighting and basically just grabs man in the mirror and snaps its spine over their knee. this would probably have been something possible since his stand was weak as poo poo by itself, but, instead we got bricksnake.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Johnny Joestar posted:

i think the funniest way to have taken out illuso would be for him to pull someone into the mirror realm but it turns out the person he grabbed is just really loving good at fighting and basically just grabs man in the mirror and snaps its spine over their knee. this would probably have been something possible since his stand was weak as poo poo by itself, but, instead we got bricksnake.

That's how Jotaro would have done it

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
if i were fighting a stand user, i would just run up and fight the stand user themselves as they are not trained in hand to hand combat

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
might work for remote control stand users, but close range power type stands seem pretty fast

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I'm at the Angry Video Game Nerd Ice fight, and jesus, the fights on this part are loving brutal and nonstop. Giorno only just now found out his healing, but these boys have been shot in the loving skull in the afternoon and are ready to get into another impossible brutal fight late that night.

Oh yeah, that time Mista made a WEED SNOW BOARD to ICE SKATE away from the enemy stand

Mista shooting himself with dozens of bullets so the impact pushes AVGN into the spike is the most gorgeous and stupid sequence of all. Mista must have had 20+ bullets enter his body in the last 24 hours.

God, Bruno is the best JoJo. And King Crimson makes no sense.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jun 20, 2019

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

It's basically a near perfect Stand User assassination tool. If Girono had taken a stupidly suicidal gamble that no sane person would have, Illuso would have won fairly easily.

Illuso would have won if he had taken the extra 1 second each time to kill Fugo and Abacchio when he had the chance. He is an extraordinarily bad assassin.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

To be fair, he had to stop and tell them how easy it would be to kill them. So easy that even a baby could do it, you see, and now he's going to win because they're completely helpless without their Stands an- Oh, wait, is that someone going for the key?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

To be fair, he had to stop and tell them how easy it would be to kill them. So easy that even a baby could do it, you see, and now he's going to win because they're completely helpless without their Stands an- Oh, wait, is that someone going for the key?

Diavolo(though 26 proxies, each of which are killed afterwards) sends each potential assassin a questionnaire, whoever answers "shoot them with a gun while they're sleeping" isn't even given the time of day

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

When you think about it, Man in the Mirror has no weaknesses.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Johnny Joestar posted:

i thought normal people still couldnt hurt stands. abbacchio could just do it cause he pulled a switcheroo with his stand

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Damn it, why it does need to remain only four bullets!?

somepartsareme posted:

i thought normal people still couldnt hurt stands. abbacchio could just do it cause he pulled a switcheroo with his stand

That is correct. Illuso explicitly states this during the fight in question.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I feel like you could definitely punch some Stands. Like Baby Face came out of a lady, he's a physical thing in the world, you could beat up that little freak

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Didn't cioccolata cut stands with a scalpel somehow?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

somepartsareme posted:

then they can just break illuso over their knee, problem solved

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Ciccolata definitely cuts up five of the Sex Pistols when he's wiggling around as a spine somehow yeah

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
the sex pistols have grown corporeal due to their salami intake

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Expect My Mom posted:

Ciccolata definitely cuts up five of the Sex Pistols when he's wiggling around as a spine somehow yeah

That was Green day overlapping with his arm though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

sirtommygunn posted:

Illuso would have won if he had taken the extra 1 second each time to kill Fugo and Abacchio when he had the chance. He is an extraordinarily bad assassin.

Only Fugo. If he had eliminated Fugo Purple Haze would have went with and then nothing there would have been capable of killing him. Giorno would not have been able to do the crazy plan to win.