Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Purr Objectives
Mar 3, 2017

Live fast, die young, and leave a beautiful corpse.
Some horrible takes on this page :stare:

e: :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Purr Objectives posted:

Amazing self-ownage

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Purr Objectives posted:

:cmon:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Before more meltdowns start, I think the actual game looks incredibly fun and I'll definitely be buying it if it gets ported to Switch.

It's just that specific theme song, over and over, and over... :negative:

On the positive side again, I am absolutely in love with the 2D character portraits in that game, as they remind me of random Mario Bros art that was everywhere in the late 80s/early 90s. That poo poo is wonderful, which is why my Switch profile avatar is Toad in that style.

Every Mario game should have that.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

It's just that specific theme song, over and over, and over... :negative:
The songs vary based on theme and day/night, right?

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Cicero posted:

The songs vary based on theme and day/night, right?

Night themes have lullaby versions of the day theme music, but 3D World doesn’t have night themes.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Some random YouTube account has leaked a very brief look at the hammer power up.

https://youtu.be/SPSbIkpLvHg

Looks underwhelming so far.

Edit: that was a snippet from a larger review, found here: https://youtu.be/zOXlfrpUwmA
That video may contain story mode spoilers.

J-Spot fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jun 19, 2019

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I think that's a mock up, its barely animated and the character looks composited onto the level

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

That was footage snipped from a much larger review so it seems legit. I edited in the link to the original video in my last post.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
Nintendo Life posted a video outlining all of the things 3D World is missing (and gains). It seems Fire Bros. are unique to 3D World.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmaJDMbjxEw

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

GI_Clutch posted:

Nintendo Life posted a video outlining all of the things 3D World is missing (and gains). It seems Fire Bros. are unique to 3D World.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmaJDMbjxEw

I wonder if they'll add patches to change this. Obviously there's some stuff that wouldn't work outside 3D world but there's also plenty that would, and 3D world missing some really basic stuff like mushroom platforms is just weird. It seems like something that just comes down to them not having enough time to model all this stuff for each style, which I'd be totally fine with if they said they were gonna add some of it later.

Mario Maker was really good with updates but I dunno how this one will go.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Some items like sawblades are so basic it's pretty crazy they aren't in

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I didn't have a WiiU so I didn't personally play SMM1 but my impression is that for the most part the deletions will be annoying but not devastating when making like, a normal mario level. But losing oneways, bumpers, and tracks will be a complete dealbreaker when making crazy poo poo.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Question: How does the size of stages, both vertically and horizontally, compare to Mario Maker 1? Are they the same size or bigger? One thing I didn't like about Mario Maker 1 is that the max stage size didn't feel big enough too me. I always felt like I needed to put in a sub-zone to really wring out the potential of my levels. Which is fine in some cases, but sometimes I wanted to make a simpler level that was just a tiny bit longer. Breaking those up with sub-zones is kind of annoying.

cheetah7071 posted:

I didn't have a WiiU so I didn't personally play SMM1 but my impression is that for the most part the deletions will be annoying but not devastating when making like, a normal mario level. But losing oneways, bumpers, and tracks will be a complete dealbreaker when making crazy poo poo.

Like the video says, its not a huge deal if you plan around it, but anything that limits your potential in a building game is always a problem. For example, say I want to make a level themed around ant troopers. Well, right off the bat I have to pick 3D world, which locks out a bunch of options that might paired well with my level either mechanically or thematically.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Same size as before horizontal. Vertical is slightly more area than horizontal.

I think levels will feel a bit bigger due to not needing padding sections to "hide" parts of your level you don't want seen thanks to camera lock

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

3D world is weird as it looks like Nintendo doesn't want people to make gimmick stages- they want real stages only. No stacking of goombas and the removal of the made up platforms is just kind of odd otherwise.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
There's only three real themes in the game anyway, so I don't know why you're speculating about this other theme that doesn't exist.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

3D world is weird as it looks like Nintendo doesn't want people to make gimmick stages- they want real stages only. No stacking of goombas and the removal of the made up platforms is just kind of odd otherwise.

I think they just want it to be very distinct, since the old themes are going to be very similar to the previous game.
Trust me, there are going to plenty of gimmick stages in 3d world.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Most of the GameXplain complaints I saw were nitpicking but I did see that pipe stacking was removed, which I don't like :( It helped add interesting maze mechanics to levels that used it properly.

On the annoying, but not a deal breaker side of things, 3D World has only one type of semisolid platform across all the themes.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
3D World wasn't the SMB3 or SMW styles so I'm not sure why they ever expected me to give a poo poo

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Argue posted:

Most of the GameXplain complaints I saw were nitpicking but I did see that pipe stacking was removed, which I don't like :( It helped add interesting maze mechanics to levels that used it properly.

On the annoying, but not a deal breaker side of things, 3D World has only one type of semisolid platform across all the themes.

The version where you use it to hide a vertical pipe under a horizontal one so it's nearly invisible was probably what they didn't like. One way pipes can probably still be achieved with contraptions

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
One way pipes should be an option when creating enterable pipes in the first place. Most pipes in actual Mario games are one way. It's weird making a traditional level and knowing that a player can enter a secret area through the exit pipe. You either have to stack pipes or use one way gates or something else which can just look janky.

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004
One way pipes could be cool, but there's already a solution. Put the exit slightly off the ground. I think the only recourse then is POW blocks or a Parabuzzy.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

That only solves when you want to prevent someone from re-entering a pipe, but stacking pipes also let you make it so that multiple entrance pipes lead to a single exit pipe.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Honestly, this "hammer power up" doesn't look like that big a deal to me. I'm assuming that fact I never played MM1 means I'm probably missing some ways to leverage it into interesting gameplay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPSbIkpLvHg

Q_res fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Jun 20, 2019

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I didn't realize that thwomps sent the seesaws flying, even when they're moving horizontally. We're going to get some crazy mechanical contraptions with this game...

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
NintendoLife posted videos of two cool levels they made:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srJu6KXbgpI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1YDzxFv20E

Mad Jaqk
Jun 2, 2013
I'm still not clear why 3D World is a separate gamestyle with many unique items and mechanics rather than a skin like the other games. Let us use glass pipes and Pom Pom in Mario 1 stages!

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

Mad Jaqk posted:

I'm still not clear why 3D World is a separate gamestyle with many unique items and mechanics rather than a skin like the other games. Let us use glass pipes and Pom Pom in Mario 1 stages!

One theory I've seen floating around is that it's because of 3D World actually having depth. Things that are easy to fake on a 2D plane get a little weirder in 3D. For example, all of the semi-solid platforms in 3D World are a flat background surface (like a fence) with what looks like a pair of monkey bars above it. This allows for a background, but with a surface to stand upon that could be passed through from below. Side note: there's only a single semi-solid per 3D World theme.

Also, think of items moving along a track. In 2D, it's easy enough to deal with items passing by each other. One is just displayed in front of the other. But what do you do in 3D World? Do platforms, blocks, enemies, etc. just clip through each other? That would look pretty janky. So, while 3D World itself had tracks, it would look weird in the 2.5D mode in Mario Maker, so they likely got cut.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

that boss rush level (first video) is really cool

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

GI_Clutch posted:

One theory I've seen floating around is that it's because of 3D World actually having depth. Things that are easy to fake on a 2D plane get a little weirder in 3D. For example, all of the semi-solid platforms in 3D World are a flat background surface (like a fence) with what looks like a pair of monkey bars above it. This allows for a background, but with a surface to stand upon that could be passed through from below. Side note: there's only a single semi-solid per 3D World theme.

Also, think of items moving along a track. In 2D, it's easy enough to deal with items passing by each other. One is just displayed in front of the other. But what do you do in 3D World? Do platforms, blocks, enemies, etc. just clip through each other? That would look pretty janky. So, while 3D World itself had tracks, it would look weird in the 2.5D mode in Mario Maker, so they likely got cut.

Also, the 3D World theme has enemies that attack from the foreground and background (Banzai Bills, Meowser, Charvaarghs). I'm sure most of the other elements could be implemented in all game styles, but it's probably better to have more than just a few unique things in 3D World style.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Why no intersecting clear pipes though?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Also, it kind of really opens the door for (and prepares players to understand) when they add in even more different gameplay styles.

Like Super Mario Bros 2 :argh:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Yeah my take is that at least part of the justification was that as the number of items grow, implementing everything in every style becomes more and more of a chore. Doing it for the first time in DLC would get people up in arms about paying for something that doesn't have tracks or whatever, but if it's established ahead of time it softens the blow

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
One week! Can't wait to spend lots of next weekend on this.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Has there been any evidence that we can make tracks invisible this time around? It was always jarring to see things like enemies and objects travel back and fourth on them while the tracks are right there in white against the background.

It would make for cleaner level design if we had the option to hide them.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I don't see why they couldn't do that, as those blocks that you jump on to make more blocks come out already have a mechanic that makes the final shape invisible when you jump into the level.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I think invisible tracks would lead to some terrible levels. They are visible because it's information that is important to know

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I'm very excited for comments to be available again so I can yell at people for not putting checkpoints in their levels. A lot of people still leave them out of their MM1 levels and I don't know if they're making dumb decisions or they just don't realize they can shake the arrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

GreatGreen posted:

Has there been any evidence that we can make tracks invisible this time around? It was always jarring to see things like enemies and objects travel back and fourth on them while the tracks are right there in white against the background.

It would make for cleaner level design if we had the option to hide them.

People speculated as much because there was a brief clip of Mario being chased by a ring of ghosts without a track, but I suspect that was a nighttime effect, not an invisible track.