Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Yeah my clubsport v2 base is good enough for now. I was excited about their DD wheels because that meant it would be easy to just keep using the stuff I already have. But I think I'll shy away from them for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!
I've been running a T300 RS GT with the TH8A shifter for about a month now and personally I love it. It's a huge upgrade from my Logitech DFGT, which I honestly think was kind of on it's last legs after 7 years. People complaining about the base dying has me a little worried, but I have the fan forced on, and the FFB is only set to 75% so I don't think it will overheat or anything.

The only issues I've had so far is that sometimes Discord doesn't recognize the PTT button I have mapped on the wheel and I have to restart it a few times before it works, (not sure if that's a Discord thing or a ThrustMaster thing) and I had the wheel start wiggling on me a bit, but that was only because I didn't cinch down the quick release collar and set screw enough and running almost exclusively ovals it worked itself loose. Tightened them down a bit and all seems good now.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

from what i've heard, DD isnt that much of a jump up from the clubsport.

so far the mclaren rim has been ok, though I haven't tried out the dual clutches

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

It's a sexy wheel I loved it and miss it. I still have the t3pa pro pedals with USB dongle and the th8a shifter. My Logitech pedals are still wrapped up in the plastic I think.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’m on 1.5 years on a T300rs and it’s been fine. Unplug it when you aren’t using it. Static seems to be their biggest killer.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I’m on 1.5 years on a T300rs and it’s been fine. Unplug it when you aren’t using it. Static seems to be their biggest killer.

Interesting. I will have to start doing that. Thanks.
For what it's worth, mine is mounted on a wood desk, but it's probably safer to still unplug it so I'll start doing that.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Mine died in the basement on a concrete floor and or room with just hardwood floor so not much static. Maybe some day I'll buy another one. Mine was always unplugged when not in use.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

My third T300 died a couple of weeks ago. Totally new problem, this time it started trying to calibrate after a reboot, stopped, then started making a high-pitched whining noise and smelled like too-hot electronics. It was 2 weeks out of warranty so they offered to repair it for a fee, but at this point I'm not too keen on giving Thrustmaster any more money. I've been wanting to upgrade to Fanatec stuff for a few months now and it's bumming me out to hear they're getting spotty too.

Is the CSL Elite for PS4 problematic?

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

ThrustMaster more like Lack-of-Trust Master.

I will never post in this thread again out of shame.

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

I am a marketing god, shave that shit
Been using a g29 for a while, fanatec csl elite pedals LC being delivered today so hope it's a nice upgrade

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’m running the “fanatec pedals with someone else’s wheel” setup as well and it’s fantastic. For all the griping about fanatec, they have the CSL pedals nailed. No worries there

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I’ve had so many wheels over the years and right now I’ve got a Thrustmaster TMX. It’s not the best wheel I’ve ever had but it’s adequate. The pedals suuuuuck though. It will be my first upgrade.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

KenBearlLOLOL posted:

I made sure to double-check that all the components I got were CE-certified, though.

You got a CE-certified McLaren GT3 rim from Fanatec? How? All the ones I have seen are Chinese Export, not CE.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

GutBomb posted:

I’ve had so many wheels over the years and right now I’ve got a Thrustmaster TMX. It’s not the best wheel I’ve ever had but it’s adequate. The pedals suuuuuck though. It will be my first upgrade.

T3pa pedals are nice.. but the fanatec with load cell are only like $40 more so I'd go with those. I kind of wish I had.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
I really like the fanatec csl pedals and csl wheel base. Had to send my McLaren rim back once due to some buttons not working, but it's good now, and I've got a backup csl p1 rim too that I got while the macca was in for service.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

tater_salad posted:

T3pa pedals are nice.. but the fanatec with load cell are only like $40 more so I'd go with those. I kind of wish I had.

The t3pas came with my t150 and they were Fine but switching to the csl elite lc was like night and day difference. Get the elite lc.

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006
ASK ME ABOUT MY BORDERLINE ALCOHOLISM

tuo posted:

You got a CE-certified McLaren GT3 rim from Fanatec? How? All the ones I have seen are Chinese Export, not CE.

Considering they use the exact same typesetting/spacing of the "CE" logo in the CSL Elite wheel's manual in the "CE compliance" section discussing adherence to European regulation... I think you're looking for malfeasance when the worst you'll likely find is typesetting/graphic design incompetence, but you're also welcome to call an EC auditor and ask them to make sure.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CE_marking#Misuse

quote:

A logo very similar to CE marking has been alleged to stand for China Export because some Chinese manufacturers apply it to their products.[19] However, the European Commission says that this is a misconception.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

"Ohhh, new stages in Latvia!... Oh, rallycross." :doh:

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

KenBearlLOLOL posted:

Considering they use the exact same typesetting/spacing of the "CE" logo in the CSL Elite wheel's manual in the "CE compliance" section discussing adherence to European regulation... I think you're looking for malfeasance when the worst you'll likely find is typesetting/graphic design incompetence, but you're also welcome to call an EC auditor and ask them to make sure.

No. You don't use china export without reason, and you don't "mix it up" with proper CE certification. You use it to fake CE certification. No one is that incompetent, especially not if you use it on every single "premium product" you produce. People asked/complained about it, thread got deleted. It's simply a pretty lovely way of dealing with customers.

I prefer a non-tested device to one that tries to fake it. Ask for premium price, deliver a premium product.

Mind you, I am a Fanatec fan, and used to be a BIG Fanatec fan, but the stuff adding up in the last two years paints a picture of where the company is heading, and how it's treating it's customers. I mean, most responses from the CEO to customer complaints on the forum is basically "we are listening to you, but now I'll tell why you are wrong and we are right".

Again: no one puts china export on their product because they suck at typesetting.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

tuo posted:

No. You don't use china export without reason, and you don't "mix it up" with proper CE certification. You use it to fake CE certification. No one is that incompetent, especially not if you use it on every single "premium product" you produce. People asked/complained about it, thread got deleted. It's simply a pretty lovely way of dealing with customers.

I prefer a non-tested device to one that tries to fake it. Ask for premium price, deliver a premium product.

Mind you, I am a Fanatec fan, and used to be a BIG Fanatec fan, but the stuff adding up in the last two years paints a picture of where the company is heading, and how it's treating it's customers. I mean, most responses from the CEO to customer complaints on the forum is basically "we are listening to you, but now I'll tell why you are wrong and we are right".

Again: no one puts china export on their product because they suck at typesetting.

You should read cowjafee's post that "china export" is a myth. Yes, people fake CE. End of story.

quote:

The Commission responded that it was unaware of the existence of any "Chinese Export" mark and that, in its view, the incorrect application of the CE marking on products was unrelated to incorrect depictions of the symbol, although both practices took place.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

a lot of perfectly good stuff gets made in china (like virtually everything). if there are QC issues, it doesnt necessarily stem from production in china

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Zaphod42 posted:

You should read cowjafee's post that "china export" is a myth. Yes, people fake CE. End of story.

Could be I didn't make myself clear enough. What I am trying to say is: if you get a CE certification, you get a very, VERY detailed paper on how to show it on your product, and what you have to supply with the product. The fake CE thing is a real problem, at least in europe, I have no idea how it is in other parts of the world. Thus my post "you don't use the fake CE if you have the propper CE". I'm dealing with this stuff a lot since years, and a german company that uses the fake CE logo knows why it does that.

Again, I have no problem with products that are not tested. There are a lot of products where the customer base/margin is simply not big enough to pay for certifications.

The problem arises if these products - for example - rented out. Go to a race, and there is always a lot of stuff going on around, lots of driving sims. Go to some expos, and depending in what the topic is, you also might see a driving sim rig here or there. Depending on the country, the laws and especially the insurrance companies, these things have to meet certain certifications so you are under insurance. Talk to people like Klaus Ludwig, who rents out simrigs. They HAVE to care about these certifications.

Then again, it's not in my interest to poo poo up this thread with this stuff. I just maintain the opinion that if you ask a premium price for a product, you should treat your customers well, and not put on fake certification logos. The quality of the Fanatec stuff is (imo) very, very good, it's a shame they don't get propper certs.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Rated PG-34 posted:

a lot of perfectly good stuff gets made in china (like virtually everything). if there are QC issues, it doesnt necessarily stem from production in china

Of course not, you are totally right. It's actually pretty hard to match the quality that many companies there put out.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
If you CE mark something and don't use the right logo then your product does not count as "CE marked", even if it otherwise complies with every requirement.

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

I am a marketing god, shave that shit
Still getting used to the switch but already running on par with before. Hope to start building more muscle memory tonight.

Anyone have thoughts on the elite v1 vs v1.1 base? Older version is $150 ($350 vs $500) cheaper in Aus.... Really tempted to pull the pin

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Vando posted:

If you CE mark something and don't use the right logo then your product does not count as "CE marked", even if it otherwise complies with every requirement.

Yeah, that's what I mean. No one puts china export on their product if they got a propper CE certification. The only reason to do this is to make the product look more professional/certified. And I don't like that, I'm all for clean labeling. Be open with your customer base. Don't fool them, just be nice. Tell them what you do, and how you do it, and don't take them for fools.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

VealCutlet posted:

Still getting used to the switch but already running on par with before. Hope to start building more muscle memory tonight.

Anyone have thoughts on the elite v1 vs v1.1 base? Older version is $150 ($350 vs $500) cheaper in Aus.... Really tempted to pull the pin

https://www.fanatec.com/au-en/wheel-bases/csl-elite-wheel-base-officially-licensed-for-ps4-aus.html

for only $99AU more you can get that, which is the V2.5 wheelbase! :D Why do I have no money?! :D

e: or it's the v2.5 motor only? I can't honestly work it out. either way, it's the one I've got and a couple of other goons have it too

NtotheTC fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Jun 21, 2019

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

tuo posted:

Yeah, that's what I mean. No one puts china export on their product if they got a propper CE certification. The only reason to do this is to make the product look more professional/certified. And I don't like that, I'm all for clean labeling. Be open with your customer base. Don't fool them, just be nice. Tell them what you do, and how you do it, and don't take them for fools.

China export doesn'y exist. Please read the quoted article.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Zaphod42 posted:

China export doesn'y exist. Please read the quoted article.

You are right in regard to the fact that the "fake" CE sign has no "official" meaning. The "chinese export" is in fact a name tagged onto that fake sign, because it mostly comes from china. It neither contributes to the quality of a product, or does detract from it. It's simply a sign of what a company is willing to put on to fool customers.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

tuo posted:

You are right in regard to the fact that the "fake" CE sign has no "official" meaning. The "chinese export" is in fact a name tagged onto that fake sign, because it mostly comes from china. It neither contributes to the quality of a product, or does detract from it. It's simply a sign of what a company is willing to put on to fool customers.

Do you have any proof that this is a thing besides a kerning issue? Do you have proof that Fanatec does not have CE certifications?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Like, the eu commission says some people mess up the kerning, and some people use the symbol but don't have validation, but the two aren't correlated.

After all, if you're going to forge it, why not get it right? The idea that they just can't make the CE accurate without getting it approved doesn't really hold up, and apparently some people who ARE approved just gently caress up the spacing, so...

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Cojawfee posted:

Do you have any proof that this is a thing besides a kerning issue? Do you have proof that Fanatec does not have CE certifications?

https://europa.eu/youreurope/business/product/ce-mark/index_en.htm

Point 6. You get them only for the products from Fanatec with a valid CE certificate (like wheel bases). You don't get them for the ones with fakes ones.

Zaphod42 posted:

Like, the eu commission says some people mess up the kerning, and some people use the symbol but don't have validation, but the two aren't correlated.

After all, if you're going to forge it, why not get it right? The idea that they just can't make the CE accurate without getting it approved doesn't really hold up, and apparently some people who ARE approved just gently caress up the spacing, so...

Argh....you are not allowed to gently caress up the spacing, and there is no need to, because once you got it, you get a very specific paper with the needed vector data on how to apply it. You don't apply it wrong out of an error, because it's a finalized logo. It is not a font file. It's a vector file, which you are not allowed to alter in any way, and which comes with very detailed specifics of how large it has to be, how visible it has to be, contrast etc. No one in this world fucks this up because he is stupid. It is a common thing that products get marked with the wrong CE logo, and it's mostly for cheap products that try to look like they have been tested. That's all there is to it.

To put it in Monthy Python's words:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55fqjw2J1vI&t=72s

It IS perfectly simple ;)

tuo fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jun 21, 2019

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Jfc can we stop CE ce çê chat ceyka blyat

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

tater_salad posted:

Jfc can we stop CE ce çê chat ceyka blyat

:same:

I offer everyone a "I am wrong" if it makes them drop the topic

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

tuo posted:

Argh....you are not allowed to gently caress up the spacing, and there is no need to, because once you got it, you get a very specific paper with the needed vector data on how to apply it. You don't apply it wrong out of an error, because it's a finalized logo. It is not a font file. It's a vector file, which you are not allowed to alter in any way, and which comes with very detailed specifics of how large it has to be, how visible it has to be, contrast etc. No one in this world fucks this up because he is stupid. It is a common thing that products get marked with the wrong CE logo, and it's mostly for cheap products that try to look like they have been tested. That's all there is to it.

Lmao, "allowed" ? This is real life. You can do anything. It may not be right, it may get you in trouble with the commission, but "allowed" doesn't matter; it happens.

http://www.europarl.europa.eu/sides/getAllAnswers.do?reference=P-2007-5938&language=EN

quote:

There are also cases where, whilst the product is in compliance with the applicable requirements the CE marking itself does not respect the formal requirements, namely the form of the CE marking or the dimensions and proportions prescribed in the legislation.

Would you read the link that was posted like 50 posts ago already and stop denying reality when there's a literal quote from the EU commission saying this? Jesus.

"No one in the world fucks this up!"

*ignores literal quote from the eu commission saying people gently caress this up*

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

PC Sim Racing - CHINA EXPORT

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
So I'm going to turn a few got laps at Paul Ricard this weekend to familiarize myself before watching the GP Sunday.

Am I the only one that finds it hard to tell where the gently caress the actual circuit is on the giant blob of concrete?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
There are 167 different configurations for Paul RIcard, I have no idea how anyone could ever know where they are supposed to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

So... uh, CE or not CE, if/when I get the CSL am I going to fret that every time it turns on could be its last like the T300?