Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Cowcaster posted:

it strikes me as kind of weird that they would spell out what additional ranks do right there in the shard description but not do the same for grade.

eh, grade's mostly self explanatory once you know the difference between it and rank

mostly

sometimes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Can you lock yourself out of the bad ending? I'm just now hearing about it and I get the impression I might have progressed too far on accident;

I'm missing a boss after the blood vampire girl, I wound up getting blood absorb went "Oh right the fountain I wonder if that'll work" and backtracking to it. I assume the bad ending is back where she was or something?

I don't think you can lock yourself out of it. That doesn't make sense with the way it works.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Idk if this is a spoiler because of the DLC but just vaguely what's the deal with having different PCs? Without super specifics will they just be a new skin or have different moves and etc? It says 3rd PC comes as DLC. Is the second one like a game completion unlock or something? if there's a huge story spoiler or whatever don't tell me!

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Cowcaster posted:

it strikes me as kind of weird that they would spell out what additional ranks do right there in the shard description but not do the same for grade.

Grade is usually self explanatory but I don't really get the difference between it and rank for familiars. It seems like maybe rank gives them new abilities and grade just improves the strength of their existing ones? maybe?

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
What do the familiars actually do? I just got the fairy one and I guess heal/attak some times?

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I know it's very early for this but now that they have a framework for this I'd be happy with them churning one out every 18 months. I dunno what it is about the Igavania games, even the worst ones I come back to every few years.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

goferchan posted:

Grade is usually self explanatory but I don't really get the difference between it and rank for familiars. It seems like maybe rank gives them new abilities and grade just improves the strength of their existing ones? maybe?

familiars are even worse because they have grade, rank, and level!

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

BexGu posted:

What do the familiars actually do? I just got the fairy one and I guess heal/attak some times?

The fairy throws out healing items that you get from killing other fairies, and she also sometimes points out breakable walls.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Silver Knight be holdin' his poo poo.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Does any one have a list of monsters that drop familiar shards? Wanna know what monsters I needed to farm/look out for.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Cowcaster posted:

I have the sword that flies around that you can also equip, and I know that some part of the familiar is making the equip part stronger, but no clue which one.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cowcaster posted:

The silver knight's a champ; leveling up seems to increase how often it attacks and blocks for you and how much it does when hitting.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Saint Freak posted:

I have the sword that flies around that you can also equip, and I know that some part of the familiar is making the equip part stronger, but no clue which one.

assuming it works like the sword familiar in sotn (which seems a safe bet) it's attack power is equal to it's level. however also in sotn it learning new moves as a familiar and the frequency of using those moves was dependent on level because it there wasn't any grade or rank stuff, so who can say

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Silver Knight is just handy, but I'm currently using the dumb facebook thing. It makes Miriam angry every time she reads it for a big attack boost, and when I'm using stuff like Hell Grinder weapons with crits jacked up it produces pretty funny results.

He also kinda bops into stuff for damage so he's helping

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

BexGu posted:

fairy does bad attacks but more importantly, will use fairy items to heal you in an emergency, and will point out breakable walls

she's also adorable and has some unique animations / interactions

silver knight is beast mode, he do a stab, he does a screen hitting spear storm thing, he blocks poo poo, he does it all

blood sword is okay as a familiar but I think leveling the familiar makes the blood sword weapon stronger, at the very least you can't have them both out at once and the bloodsword item description implies it can level up

the book is not a great attacker but it will give you buffs if you hang out for a little bit

dullahan head is not great on its own but as you level it I guess you get a billion of them at once

I think that's all the famliars I have so far

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Fairy sits on your shoulder when you take a rest and is therefore number one.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Are there any special secrets with the other chairs you can sit in, or is it just that those backers donated even more than the rest and have their little vanity room with a chair?

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jun 20, 2019

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

About how long does growing stuff take, or does it vary by crop?

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?

Fuzz posted:

Are there any special secrets with the other chairs you can sit in, or it's it just that those backers donated even more than the rest and have their little vanity room with a chair?

there are definitely some special chairs, but I haven't seen any in the vanity rooms

I mean, aside from that if you bring your fairy, she can admire backer portraits with you

I aspire to have a room in my house dedicated to staring at a painting of a cat

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
What's up with the paintings in the entryway? They're pretty goofy looking.

My two initial guesses:

1: They are various castle bosses
2: They are some of the devs

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

AngryRobotsInc posted:

About how long does growing stuff take, or does it vary by crop?

doesn't seem much longer than 10-15 minutes of noodling around the castle. the only time i've had it not been fully grown when i get back is when i immediately picked up an item or soul i wanted to throw into the cooking pot

PantsBandit posted:

My two initial guesses:

they're people who backed the kickstarter at a certain level, and don't worry they're everywhere

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

PantsBandit posted:

My two initial guesses:

They are kickstarter backers

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ImpAtom posted:

Who's the kickstarter backer with the hosed up eyes that follow you around :v:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

At least they don't spew out an extensive fanfic backstory when you kill them.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

Who's the kickstarter backer with the hosed up eyes that follow you around :v:

Yeah anything to that painting or is it just cosmetic? Definitely made me suspicious

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

So I decided to try the game on Nightmare on the first playthrough and after getting to the first boss, here's my review:

Don't.

To go into depth I guess, there's more changes aside from just numbers, aka bosses have some new attacks, but it's mostly numbers. Big numbers. Like, two hits from any enemy and you're dead big numbers. For a while this was fine, but even just from my limited playtime has shown me that this game just isn't technical or tight enough to play it like that. Enemies are just giant hitboxes and don't need to be doing an attack to actually hit you, and some enemies are designed to just be constantly ramming into you. The first bosses Nightmare attack is one that is a screen-wide attack you can only avoid by hiding behind the enemies she summons. But, the enemies are always moving and jumping around and attacking and so you need to use your weapon to hold them in place, except if you accidentally get too close to one you might as well have just gotten hit by the screen lazer, but you have to get close because if you're even a little too far away you'll get hit by the lazer anyways. The game's movement just isn't precise enough to make this feel good. Just stick with Normal or Hard unless you want to do like some sort of mega challenge run, because this reaaaally isn't the way this game is meant to be played.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

exquisite tea posted:

At least they don't spew out an extensive fanfic backstory when you kill them.

there should be a password that adds that

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I was incredibly lucky and my pre-patch 1.02 progress ended right after getting the gold chest from the towers, so despite there being bugged out chests occasionally and repopped stat ups I've decided to roll with it and am now up to 80% of the map. I know there's been a couple chests that I've missed but by far the funnier glitch is that I now have like 4 silver knight familiars because it seems like the additional shortcut slots I should have gotten from shards in the environment in lamps have just been replaced with silver knight familiars. Or at least that's what I'm guessing because I doubt they were all supposed to be that.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Cowcaster posted:

they're people who backed the kickstarter at a certain level, and don't worry they're everywhere

ImpAtom posted:

Ok, that definitely explains why they're so silly looking. I'm curious if the vampire dude actually dressed that way in the picture he sent in.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Phantasium posted:

I was incredibly lucky and my pre-patch 1.02 progress ended right after getting the gold chest from the towers, so despite there being bugged out chests occasionally and repopped stat ups I've decided to roll with it and am now up to 80% of the map. I know there's been a couple chests that I've missed but by far the funnier glitch is that I now have like 4 silver knight familiars because it seems like the additional shortcut slots I should have gotten from shards in the environment in lamps have just been replaced with silver knight familiars. Or at least that's what I'm guessing because I doubt they were all supposed to be that.

That is intentional. It powers up your silver knight

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

That is intentional. It powers up your silver knight

Yeah I don't think there's an enemy that drops those shards so finding them in the environment is how you get dupes

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...
I wish I switched to console when they announced they were no longer supporting Mac and Linux. A controller seems like it would be the best control scheme but I can't seem to get any of my controllers to work with Windows. Keyboard and mouse is really awkward and not easy to use for things like QCF + Kick for a combo move.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

goferchan posted:

Yeah I don't think there's an enemy that drops those shards so finding them in the environment is how you get dupes

Oh I didn't remember it wasn't a drop, that makes sense. I just happened to get a bunch in a row and thought it was another mistake.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Spectral Werewolf posted:

I wish I switched to console when they announced they were no longer supporting Mac and Linux. A controller seems like it would be the best control scheme but I can't seem to get any of my controllers to work with Windows. Keyboard and mouse is really awkward and not easy to use for things like QCF + Kick for a combo move.

Wired Xbox 360 controllers are plug and play

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Can recommend getting Dullahan head to grade 9. I am currently running through the castle on hard, followed by a swarm of angry heads that murder anything I look at.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

really my only complaint with keyboard and mouse is that the game doesn't natively recognize my mouse's thumb buttons, and that's kind of nitpicky. i like how i can aim directional shards while jumping, which itself also is an extremely niche thing but i wasn't able to do it on a controller without doing the old claw hands.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Do anyone actually use techniques? They can be pretty finicky to do on keyboard, and their damage or utility usually doesn't seem to be worth the hassle.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Spectral Werewolf posted:

What are your controllers? I have no problem using a dualshock 4 and letting steam use whatever its default settings are. Still get xbox button prompts but that's basically every game

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Broken Cog posted:

Do anyone actually use techniques? They can be pretty finicky to do on keyboard, and their damage or utility usually doesn't seem to be worth the hassle.

the basic power strike on one handed swords/maces is ok, and the katana parry feels good every time you pull it off, but i agree most of them seem to have an extremely skewed utility/magic consumption ratio. like the ranged attacks on the daggers and katana barely do more damage than a basic attack, and will absolutely suck your magic meter dry. (you can mitigate the katana one a bit by moonlight greatswording it and using it in melee range so both the blade and the beam hit the enemy but still)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

I tried the few I picked up, and almost immediately after went "Nah" and went back to flinging the flail shard around everywhere. It's really finicky even with a controller, it seems.