Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
FFXII has the largest number of bewildering design decisions i've seen outside of a Xeno- title

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Barudak posted:

Since I know youre going to play After Years no matter what anyone says a) prepare for "fun" and b) if theyre a new character theyre probably purestrain trash and a waste of your time to level.

I hope you're counting Luca as a recurring character because she was great in After Years.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Amppelix posted:

Third of all, the explosion trap noise is mixed incredibly loud and makes me jump every time! Mean!

That one loving entrance to the Necrohol lmao

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

kirbysuperstar posted:

This is the best.

Anyways use a float mote op

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

FFXII has the largest number of bewildering design decisions i've seen outside of a Xeno- title
It's staggeringly similar to xenoblade, actually, now that I'm thinking about it. Now I know why it's hitting me so well.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

MMF Freeway posted:

Anyways use a float mote op
This is just more pointless menuing which is what I'm complaining about in the first place

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Amppelix posted:

This is just more pointless menuing which is what I'm complaining about in the first place

Yeah but this protects you from all traps so you don't have to look for the right cure and it lasts awhile so you can bypass multiple trap layouts with one menu session

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I'd argue Ursula and Leonora are good characters too.

The Eblan Four are utter garbage though. As for Ceodore, I'm not sure whether I find his idiocy and blandness charming or exhausting.

Really, it's more how the returning women get shafted development-wise (unless you count Luca) while some of the men get some badass moments. I really like what they did with Palom, Edge, and Edward in particular. Kain and Yang are alright too. A shame Cecil lost what little personality he had though.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

I love XII but can’t stand Xenoblade. I say this after finishing Chronicles 1 twice.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Amppelix posted:

Then setup a gambit for your white mage to cast float on your party members. There are multiple ways to engage with the game's mechanics and gambits are almost always the best one if you want to reduce menuing and simplify things.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Also Libra skill reveals traps and you can equip steel boots

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
After Years Palom is legitimately amazing and I want a full FF with him

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rirse posted:

I hope you're counting Luca as a recurring character because she was great in After Years.

As long as you were named in IV youre good in after years.

The new characters all feel like they got made bad on purpose they suck so much

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

kirbysuperstar posted:

Literally The Worst

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

WaltherFeng posted:

Also Libra skill reveals traps and you can equip steel boots
It was on the last page so i forgive you, but you obviously missed the part where i said Libra is useless because your party will happily walk into them anyway

DrNutt posted:

Then setup a gambit for your white mage to cast float on your party members. There are multiple ways to engage with the game's mechanics and gambits are almost always the best one if you want to reduce menuing and simplify things.
I would love to but the developers have decreed that float is so good it needs to be inaccessible for most of the game

And look, there's obviously multiple ways to get around the traps but they all annoy me because the only reason these drat things exist seems to be to waste your time. They don't really present any sort of interesting or engaging gameplay. They're rarely even arranged in locations where you could potentially fight something around them and they might have an actual effect on the combat. Which is good, actually, because the AI would definitely wander right into them in the middle of a fight. Positioning-based effects are really difficult to reliably deal with in the limits of the gambit system.

Amppelix fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jun 20, 2019

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

karma_coma posted:

So I never played FF9 so i'm playing it now on switch, the abilities uh... like 'protect girls' and 'detect' ... is there any way to see a description of them or do i just look it up if im not sure? i just equip abilities until im out of stone points? how do i even use detect?

Detect is a battle skill that Zidane can use. It lets you see the enemy's items. Since it's an ability you can use in battle, you don't need to equip it like you do a passive ability such as Protect Girls, but you do need to learn it completely to be able to use it without having the Mage Masher or Orichalcon equipped.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I'm sure 8000 people have already asked this before, so apologies in advance, but:

I'm about to start FF12 on the Switch. I gather it has a job system where you assign each characters two jobs permanently. As such, I dunno which jobs to give everybody! Is there a decent place to read about:

1. What is cool about each job?
2. What are interesting combinations one can do with jobs?
3. Are there any types of job combinations I should avoid?
4. Does it really matter which characters get which jobs, or can I pretty much ignore that if I want to?

I'm not really worried about effectiveness, since I hear the game isn't very difficult, but I do want everybody to be useful and fun.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Play a different game if you want fun.

But the Switch version lets you swap jobs (almost) whenever you like so you can just try whatever.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I just bought a GBA SP on eBay and wanted to test it out by starting a new game of FFTA. My previous save is like 10 years old and Marche's name is Hitler and the clan name is 3rd Reich. My sense of humor has changed a lot in the last decade.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Elephant Ambush posted:

I just bought a GBA SP on eBay and wanted to test it out by starting a new game of FFTA. My previous save is like 10 years old and Marche's name is Hitler and the clan name is 3rd Reich. My sense of humor has changed a lot in the last decade.

Absurd Hitler humor definitely had a surge in the 2000s. Thinking of that Hetalia anime, Downfall meme videos, etc. Anything that has a big cultural presence like that that people don't think is a current problem is going to be grist for the postmodern comedy mill.

Edit: see also: the recent wave of Chernobyl memes since that miniseries came out. Part of the humor is that the jokes are really innappropriate, but also that you're unlikely to interact with someone directly affected by the tragedy on English language internet in 2019 gives you the sense of freedom to break the taboo and go nuts with it.

Randallteal fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jun 20, 2019

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Amppelix posted:

the only reason these drat things exist seems to be to waste your time.

Yeah no poo poo it's Final Fantasy XII

Mega64
May 23, 2008

nrook posted:

I'm sure 8000 people have already asked this before, so apologies in advance, but:

I'm about to start FF12 on the Switch. I gather it has a job system where you assign each characters two jobs permanently. As such, I dunno which jobs to give everybody! Is there a decent place to read about :

1. What is cool about each job?
2. What are interesting combinations one can do with jobs?
3. Are there any types of job combinations I should avoid?
4. Does it really matter which characters get which jobs, or can I pretty much ignore that if I want to?

I'm not really worried about effectiveness, since I hear the game isn't very difficult, but I do want everybody to be useful and fun.

The game got easier when they added jobs, and they never bothered to rebalance the game when they added the option to have a second job.

Pick whichever jobs you want, it's pretty drat difficult to actively screw yourself, and it really doesn't matter who gets what jobs as it comes down to minute time differences between certain attack animations. Go with what sounds awesome to you.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Bushi/Black mage is an insanely good combo though, and I heartily recommend it.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

The worst thing about traps in FF12 is that's it's super easy to just walk around them. Too bad your other party members aren't capable of doing so as well!

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Holy poo poo no way am I spending hours and hours finding chocographs in FF9. Am I missing something here? Spent like 45 minutes trying to find them in the forest but got only 3.

I like 9 otherwise but haha I’m not doing the hot/cold bs for hours.

E: that robe is 10000 because you may actually dig that many times huh?? That’s crazy

mst4k fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jun 21, 2019

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
You can abuse the quick dig bonus on the digging site where half the place is available.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Chocobo Hot n Cold owns and I will play it for hours and hours just because

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6w7atxi0BI

this is so good

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

karma_coma posted:

So I never played FF9 so i'm playing it now on switch, the abilities uh... like 'protect girls' and 'detect' ... is there any way to see a description of them or do i just look it up if im not sure? i just equip abilities until im out of stone points? how do i even use detect?

Hit select and a moogle themed tooltip appears to give a rough explanation of most abilities. This works in virtually any window.

For more information head to play online.com

Mega64
May 23, 2008

If you're playing one of the modern releases you can abuse speed-up since the timer goes the same pace.

Otherwise, hunting spots in the game is pretty finicky (I can't count how many times I've had to turn around for 10-15 seconds to find the exact spot to peck), and the overworld game is kinda poorly paced since you only get a handful before the game dumps a ton on you at once in Disc 3. Overworld version's still one of my favorite mini games in the series though.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

I know it's not a Final Fantasy game, but i'm about to play Legend of Mana for the very first time, is there anything I should know - tips, tricks, missable things, that sort of thing?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Dell_Zincht posted:

I know it's not a Final Fantasy game, but i'm about to play Legend of Mana for the very first time, is there anything I should know - tips, tricks, missable things, that sort of thing?

You certainly won't see all the quests unless you tediously follow a walkthrough the entire game. That's boring so just chill out and don't worry

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

The game is very explicit in you being able to just keep looping, carrying over your stats, items and progression every time so just keep going through the game and do other quests and storylines that interest you without having to worry about hitting everything in oneg o

Mega64
May 23, 2008

If you want 100% quests, follow a land placement FAQ and a quest guide, as you can easily miss some quests (the most famous example is Gilbert: Love is Blind, which cannot be started as soon as you enter Geo). I think legendofmana.info or whatever it is will help with that.

Either way, nothing is going to make sense (especially crafting). This is the intended experience and it's best to sit back and enjoy the ride. It's a gorgeous game with fantastic music and the whole game is exploring a great world with no real plot to speak of. It's my favorite game for a reason!

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I still boggle over the fact the Tempering guide on GameFAQs is 100 some odd KB by itself. That's bonkers for a guide dealing with just one mechanic.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I still boggle over the fact the Tempering guide on GameFAQs is 100 some odd KB by itself. That's bonkers for a guide dealing with just one mechanic.

The best part is that I'm pretty sure it's still missing a lot of info. That's not a knock on the writer, crafting is just that obtuse.

Also completely unnecessary, which is the best part.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Mega64 posted:

The best part is that I'm pretty sure it's still missing a lot of info. That's not a knock on the writer, crafting is just that obtuse.

Also completely unnecessary, which is the best part.

Seriously. I read through the guide, tried it out, and still understand NOTHING about what did what and how.

I read something elsewhere with rumblings they want to remake LoM if Trials does well. I hope that happens, solely so maybe the systems get explained better.

I was honestly not surprised when playing it to look at the staff list and find Akitoshi Kawazu's name staring back at me. Man is the God-King of "You wanna know how this thing in my game works? Screw you."

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I've tried to get into LoM a few times and always just drift away. Most recent attempt is on my PSTV from a year-ish ago, so at least the save file isn't going anywhere.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

karma_coma posted:

Holy poo poo no way am I spending hours and hours finding chocographs in FF9. Am I missing something here? Spent like 45 minutes trying to find them in the forest but got only 3.

I like 9 otherwise but haha I’m not doing the hot/cold bs for hours.

E: that robe is 10000 because you may actually dig that many times huh?? That’s crazy

Chocographs are gated by your progress in the game. You can only get a few on disc 1, then a few more on disc 2, then almost all of the remainder on the first half of disc 3 and the rest after a major plot event in disc 3. Once you stop digging them up, just stop digging, you can't get any more without advancing the plot.

Originally you could finish the quest at the start of disc 3, but that was hastily patched because you could sequence break the poo poo out of the game by doing the entire chocobo minigame as soon as you had access to it

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Thanks guys, think i'm just going to sit back and enjoy the ride with this one!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Dell_Zincht posted:

Thanks guys, think i'm just going to sit back and enjoy the ride with this one!

Even with the usual Akitoshi Kawazu "Pfh, explanations are for scrubs" aspect, it's honestly one of my favorite PSX games, so I hope you enjoy it. I still think it's one of the most gorgeous games of its era, and you can never go wrong with a Yoko Shimomura soundtrack. The basic "beating up monsters" gameplay is also solid.