Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Vermain posted:

A large part of it is simply that assassins are designed to be at their strongest in the early-mid game where they can snowball advantages to gain an overwhelming offensive lead over their opponent. Blue Kayn has significant ramp-up time compared to other jungle assassins and is dependent on only ganking very specific lanes if he doesn't want to lengthen that ramp-up time further. I've absolutely seen Blue Kayns pop off before, but it's such a gigantic pain in the rear end to make it work compared to playing Kha'Zix or whatever.

The other side of this is that Blue Kayn, as someone who plays Kayn, is possibly the strongest late game assassin from a raw damage perspective, and can assassinate 3 champs in the time it might take Zed to assassinate one.

Shadow Assassin isn’t just more raw damage then Rhaast, it’s excessively more damage, something like an increase of 50% against non-tanks. He also is way more mobile after the changes to shadow walk in SA form.

Red is the safer choice in almost every game, but in the games where Blue is good Blue is unbeatable oppressive.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jun 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

pog boyfriend posted:

no, that lane sounds really weak actually. kill lanes usually have hyper aggressive early game all in champions or nonstop lockdown, or a bit of both.

So Blitz/Leo with basically any other DPS champion?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

One of the premium kill lanes in my experience has been jarvan Leona

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Kill lanes are usually best with a champ who will just run away with the game if they get fed early, so the likes of Draven, Vayne etc. Though even Ashe can make it work because an Ashe with an early BF Sword will just end the lane. Bot lane Vel'koz is another irritating one, though that works better as a poke support I think.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

One of the premium kill lanes in my experience has been jarvan Leona

njsykora posted:

Kill lanes are usually best with a champ who will just run away with the game if they get fed early, so the likes of Draven, Vayne etc. Though even Ashe can make it work because an Ashe with an early BF Sword will just end the lane. Bot lane Vel'koz is another irritating one, though that works better as a poke support I think.

The Door Frame posted:

So Blitz/Leo with basically any other DPS champion?

jarvan leona is the most fun anyone can have in league of legends but not dps champion, burst champion. blitz/pantheon is a kill lane. when you get something like a draven or a vayne it is not really a kill lane as much as an aggressive lane - let it be known that a kill lane is a lane that does not care about lategame scaling because they have no intention of playing past 20 minutes.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah, your job is to take over the early game so hard that you get a pre-20 surrender.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
J4/Leona is still the best kill lane. Though I am starting to wonder if Pyke could be used more

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

kingcobweb posted:

Gonna stream and hopefully talk about midgame stuff as Janna and hopefully not play awful?? https://twitch.tv/kingcobweb

Was it good? Please archive your streams.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

let it be known that my adc mundo win rate is now 100%. cannot be defeated.

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions

rabidsquid posted:

let it be known that my adc mundo win rate is now 100%. cannot be defeated.

I was up against a crit mundo ADC and thought 'piece of piss'. Couldn't force him out of lane cos ADC does negative damage early, especially against that passive.

He took my tower at like 10 minutes and brutalised me. It was demoralizing

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Well, here are two videos. Even rewatching the games I can see the badness. Anyway:

A win.

A loss.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

Cavelcade posted:

Well, here are two videos. Even rewatching the games I can see the badness. Anyway:

A win.

A loss.
I'm not a Nami player so most of this is more general stuff. Timestamps are Youtube time rather than ingame.

Game 1: You should be leaving base at 00:15 and moving to a chokepoint to cover vs invades every game to avoid getting level 1 cheesed.

At 1:47 you use W on the enemy support instead of yourself, even though you've taken ~ 60 damage at that point. As the Pyke is moving away, the wave doesn't bounce back and heal you. In cases like that, you're better off casting W on yourself for the instant bounce to Pyke, as you would have gotten both the heal and the damage off the same cast.

You stand still a lot. Never stop moving, ever. Even if it's completely safe to be standing still, constant moving (and direction changes) is a good habit to learn.

When you go in for a W trade, try to throw in an auto too. They're about the same range and you can do both with very little extra time invested.

The Ignite at 2:30 is real bad but I assume you know this. He's way too closer to tower to kill.

Try to match your ADC's 'height' in lane as much as possible. If they're pushed up, push up to a similar degree. If they're dropping back, drop back to a similar degree. This way you avoid a Pyke engage where one of you gets caught out and the other one can't immediately retaliate.

Don't use bubble to poke vs a Pyke lane, especially not before level 6. If it misses, it gives him a window to engage afterwards, where you have no hard CC:

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

some tft thoughts:

• game is very fun, the structured layout is well thought out and logical and creates a bit of intrigue knowing vaguely what is up next(more on this later)
  • carousel is a great game mechanic all around and its foreshadowing in the top gives players struggling hope and puts the fire at the top players
  • tribes need some work, some tribes are better than others but there are neat experiments like ninjas having a high risk reward factor to them
  • why is volibear not wild, you absolute fuckers. You fucker bastards
  • glacial is nuts if rng is on your side
  • item drops are too unbalanced. redemption does nothing and bloodthirster makes draven auto win games
  • item drop rng however is less essential, i could regularly beat players who had more items as the completed item matters more
  • we could use more chesses. i want to see olaf and nami and etc

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Is a TFT match any shorter than Underlords or Auto Chess? I like the game in theory, but gently caress spending 30+ minutes per match on something which is mostly luck based.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Gunder posted:

Is a TFT match any shorter than Underlords or Auto Chess? I like the game in theory, but gently caress spending 30+ minutes per match on something which is mostly luck based.

From watching streams it seems like average game time is around 20-25m or so.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Gunder posted:

tft is not mostly luck based. there is variance, and the items are a little too strong for rng, but the games are not mostly luck based. i was consistently doing well

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Is Teamfight Tactics a WIP title or are they seriously going to stick with that?

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

They intentionally named their main game LOL what do you think?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

it actually stands for twisted fate (and) teemo

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I’m surprised they just didn’t go with TIT considering who the company is.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

nobody plays illaoi so why would they name a game mode after tryndamere illaoi teemo. failed game mode. bad optics.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

pog boyfriend posted:

some tft thoughts:

• game is very fun, the structured layout is well thought out and logical and creates a bit of intrigue knowing vaguely what is up next(more on this later)
  • carousel is a great game mechanic all around and its foreshadowing in the top gives players struggling hope and puts the fire at the top players
  • tribes need some work, some tribes are better than others but there are neat experiments like ninjas having a high risk reward factor to them
  • why is volibear not wild, you absolute fuckers. You fucker bastards
  • glacial is nuts if rng is on your side
  • item drops are too unbalanced. redemption does nothing and bloodthirster makes draven auto win games
  • item drop rng however is less essential, i could regularly beat players who had more items as the completed item matters more
  • we could use more chesses. i want to see olaf and nami and etc

my thoughts: let me on the PBE you bastards

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Sexpansion posted:

my thoughts: let me on the PBE you bastards

Really excited to give this game a shot when I get on the PBE in... 16 hours

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
I logged in, someone missed their ready check, and it turns out it doesn't properly put you back into queue after that happens, so

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I am trying to learn a tanky or bruiser top right now, so I can branch out of perma-supporthood. I know Taric pretty well, but he's more of a support and he can't cs for poo poo. Should I go with Garen? Jax?

The Dregs fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Jun 21, 2019

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The Dregs posted:

I am trying to learn a tanky or bruiser top right now, so I can branch out of perma-supporthood. I know Taric pretty well, but he's more of a support. Should I go with Garen? Jax?

Poppy was my first top laner and I still recommend people learn her. She's great in the meta right now with so many dashy fucks around and everyone underestimates her damage so you can burst people and watch them rage.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Oh Yeah. Poppy. I have tried her. I am SO BAD with her, but she is insanely fun. I'll give it a try

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

We've got the American Jesus
Bolstering national faith

We've got the American Jesus
Overwhelming millions every day

The Dregs posted:

I am trying to learn a tanky or bruiser top right now, so I can branch out of perma-supporthood. I know Taric pretty well, but he's more of a support and he can't cs for poo poo. Should I go with Garen? Jax?

Garen is a safe top laner that has simple mechanics and is great for learning macroplay with. He has a lot of matchups that result in you defaulting to farming until level six or waiting for jungle assistance before going in but it's incredibly satisfying to drop your ultimate on someone

Super Librarian
Jan 4, 2005

curiousCat posted:

I logged in, someone missed their ready check, and it turns out it doesn't properly put you back into queue after that happens, so

lol yeah that happened to me too. I think I'm gonna wait for it to hit live if someone can effectively kick 7 people off of the pbe by declining a TFT queue

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

The Dregs posted:

“tanky or bruiser top” is virtually all of them, are you looking to play aggressively, defensively, or passively? if its the latter just ignore everything and slam pick nasus. for aggressive play i recommend garen, olaf or renekton, and for defensive play something like a shen or a sion

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

The Dregs posted:

Everyone's suggestions are spot on. I personally like Sion because even if you have a bad start you have enough CC that you'll always be useful to your team and the extra health you earn from his shields passive means you'll eventually scale up the longer the game goes on.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

pog boyfriend posted:

“tanky or bruiser top” is virtually all of them, are you looking to play aggressively, defensively, or passively? if its the latter just ignore everything and slam pick nasus. for aggressive play i recommend garen, olaf or renekton, and for defensive play something like a shen or a sion

I just wanted to weed out some of the mage tops like Lulu or Kennen. I tried Poppy, and I just am not good with her. I am gonna go Garen. I don't own Olaf or Renekton, I may look into picking one of them up.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I like Trundle :rip:

But Poppy is amazing, even if you play her poorly, she has good CC for such a mobile tank, with the added bonus of negating blinks or dashes at the same time she gains movement speed. Sion, Illoai, Darius, and Mundo are great face tanks that can do a surprising amount of damage if you can bait out your enemy

Fiora is also a good pick, but she's much more bruiser than tank

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
Go with your original taric top choice

You end up either trolling their team or trolling your own. Its 50/50 really

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

If you really want to try someone different learn Maokai, he’s about due for a comeback soon.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

if you just want a wall of hp and a shitload of cc its definitely hard to go wrong with sion. he's insanely easy, fairly cheap to buy since he was one of the really old champs who got reworked, and his trading pattern is pretty straightforward. plus if you decide to just farm you can use his ult as a poor man's tp.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

The Dregs posted:

I just wanted to weed out some of the mage tops like Lulu or Kennen. I tried Poppy, and I just am not good with her. I am gonna go Garen. I don't own Olaf or Renekton, I may look into picking one of them up.

Lulu top isn't a mage, she's a sparkly machine gun of fiery death :v: .

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

The Door Frame posted:

Fiora is also a good pick, but she's much more bruiser than tank

fiora is a melee adc

The Dregs posted:

imagine not wanting to play lulu top. absolutely disgusting

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Nah. I love Lulu. I just already main her and I wanted to learn a new champ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

TFT is fun. Was surprised how even though it felt like I understood how to play from watching streamers I really didn't.

Pro-tip: if you play lol with attack move on left click you want to remove that setting before playing TFT.