Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
I personally liked and am excited about everything in the live stream :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

If I post before 5pm PST, PM my boss and tell him I'm fired.

Yes, it's largely a PvP game with a bit of PvE elements. The monsters are generally never a big threat once the other players in the game are eliminated.

You're definitely right that a lot of the game comes down to ganking/avoiding ganks. Part of that is avoiding making noise on your end and capitalizing on others that do make a ruckus. It is a big problem though that the winners of a game can often be the ones who stay back and avoid conflict until most of the other teams are dead. This can often lead to some slow standoffs where nobody wants to make a move at all.

Alternatively you just get your skills good enough to go Rambo and gently caress up any passive players (but you can still get screwed with this approach at times as they may only need one good head shot on you).

Chomp8645 posted:

Oh look, that horse you thought was dead suddenly looked up at starting making noise. Wow haven't seen that ten times in just four matches. What a shock!!!
I don't really know what you're expecting on this point? You make it sounds like the horses are intended to be a jump scare for content, rather than the alarm that they are to nearby hunters.

Chomp8645 posted:

I understand this game has been playable in early access for two years or some poo poo? What have they been doing this whole time?
Mostly resolving performance issues and bug fixes. I think the focus on new content will be greater going forward.

Varkas fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jun 19, 2019

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
Yeah the game is a sound game first. The whole world is crafted to have very dynamic and telling sound scapes. Horses, chickens, dangling pans, are all intended to be sound traps. You learn to identify them early. They are all triggered at different distances dependent on how loud the sound nearby them is. They alert other hunters and monsters in the world about you.

Monsters aren't meant to be a threat but an obstacle. See a team ahead but there are dogs near you? Thats a decision you have to make, take the shot and risk attracting the dogs or reposition. Alternatively you can also use blanks to attract monsters onto other hunters and take them out when they are distracted.

Stand offs are often. Its especially tense when you think another group is nearby due to sound triggers but don't have confirmation. I personally enjoy this tense gameplay. I find the fights in this game much more impactful than most other titles.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

AbsoluteLlama posted:

Dev livestream this morning:

- Roadmap on site apparently accurate. Not everything there was covered in this livestream.
- Everything but prestige will be reset in 1.0. Better start using Avtomats and Nitros exclusively.
- New skins unlocked for weapons with real money currency or prestiging.
- New special hunters. Just a custom model or guns or something. I guess some people like this sort of thing.
- Oh did I mention there will be real money currency? You can earn with gameplay too but we all know how fast earning real-money currency is in games. It's not just for cosmetics. They say it is not gameplay affecting stuff but here is a list of gameplay affecting stuff:
  • Reroll hunter selection
  • Reroll hunter perks
  • Buy additional hunter slots
  • Clean weapons. May or may not effect gameplay depending on whether dirt obstructs sight picture like some guns currently do.
- Women will be added to the hunter pool. Mass gamer outrage already starting. "But it's not realistic to have the womms in my completely realistic game about hunting demon zombies! My immersion!"
- Unlocking guns will be a boring chore. You only unlock the base poo poo model and the rest require achievements. Have fun getting 5000 headshots with the hand crossbow before you can unlock the normal one. Achievement unlock progress is linear so the 'player choice' they talk about is really just 'choose to use the same weapon for weeks have fun :suicide:'.
- Scopes will only break when a hunter is downed. I'm.... not so sure about this mechanic but I guess it's nice to have unbroken scopes by default. Guns also get dirtier when downed. Neat I guess?

So far this is the first update that I'm not so excited about. I don't really care about the wipe but the new weapon unlock system looks like a huge loving chore. I could care less about skins and will never use them myself, but I know some people loving love that poo poo. I'm excited for female hunters if only to bask in the collective gamer butthurt about it. If they don't change the weapon unlock system I can see myself taking a long break from the game.

Am I reading this right that the weapon unlocks you're talking about are just cosmetic skins? You just said you dont care about them so who gives a poo poo if they're "a huge loving chore" ?

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
Can't kill devilmen if I ain't the prettiest

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Basticle posted:

Am I reading this right that the weapon unlocks you're talking about are just cosmetic skins? You just said you dont care about them so who gives a poo poo if they're "a huge loving chore" ?

He's talking about two seperate things. Gun skins are unlocked through prestiging or earning/buying premium currency, but actual weapon variants are unlocked through use. So the way I understand it, you'll unlock a regular Sparks LLR at, say, rank 15 or whatever, and if you want to unlock the Silenced/Scoped variants you'll have to get x number of kills with it first. How much of a chore this is definitely depends on the value of x, I think.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Mordja posted:

He's talking about two seperate things. Gun skins are unlocked through prestiging or earning/buying premium currency, but actual weapon variants are unlocked through use. So the way I understand it, you'll unlock a regular Sparks LLR at, say, rank 15 or whatever, and if you want to unlock the Silenced/Scoped variants you'll have to get x number of kills with it first. How much of a chore this is definitely depends on the value of x, I think.

So they are basically going the battlefield route where you use guns to unlock the mods for them?

Chore indeed.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
If it's around 5 to 15 kills then eh, if it's 50 then pffffffffffff.

Though I think I've mostly been using non-variant guns anyways.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Mordja posted:

If it's around 5 to 15 kills then eh, if it's 50 then pffffffffffff.

Though I think I've mostly been using non-variant guns anyways.

They could as easily make it an across-the-board "XP earned" gauge which would actually be tolerable.
Let any 'use' contribute, not just hunter kills.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
What have they added since I got this game like ... A year ago? Is it still the butcher and the spider?

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Glenn Quebec posted:

What have they added since I got this game like ... A year ago? Is it still the butcher and the spider?

Assassin boss

New world enemy types (water hazard and a flaming psycho zombie)

New gadgets and some guns - generally more toys across the 1-100 track

New map

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Nothing wrong with long term consumables. Giving players a goal to get to, even if its grindy, is a decent way to maintain a playerbase, otherwise the playerbase will say there is "nothing to do" and it drops off a cliff in a month.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Also various changes to progression (free hunters and general newbie-friendliness) and significant performance improvements.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

A quickplay mode, too.

Its kind of BR ish.. But actually pretry drat fun, lets you get money and experience basically cost free, lets you play with potentially any item in the game, and if you win you get a free decent hunter.

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

By the power vested in me by random musings in tmt... I proclaim you guilty of crustophilia!

Basticle posted:

Weapon variant unlocks. One example they gave is your BR unlocks hand crossbow, and you need to grind achievements to unlock any of the other crossbows.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Weapon unlock grinding and real money currency - are they going f2p?

e: i actually don't think that would be a bad idea

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Jun 21, 2019

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Captain Beans posted:

Weapon unlock grinding and real money currency - are they going f2p?

e: i actually don't think that would be a bad idea

It honestly might not be the worst way to get folks playing?
Right now a lot of folks I try to get involved are put off by the price tag and the seemingly endless EA status.
Free weekends are an easy way to at least get folks in on it - but again, most I end up playing with don't commit to actually buying a copy.

Of course they need to loving -market- the game in some way, too.

I had a brief convo with one of the devs earlier, and much to my chagrin they have no intent (as of yet) to release a dev kit to the public.
I fielded the idea of something like a map making contest - I would love to do something like that (but I'm a huge nerd, ex-level-designer) - and I think another map would go a long ways towards longevity.
Admittedly, more bosses would probably be just as, if not more important. I'm really hoping they take to the idea of a 'world boss' that isn't glued to the compounds, as that seems to be the best suggestion rolling around.

DarkDobe fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jun 21, 2019

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

DarkDobe posted:

I had a brief convo with one of the devs earlier, and much to my chagrin they have no intent (as of yet) to release a dev kit to the public.
I fielded the idea of something like a map making contest - I would love to do something like that (but I'm a huge nerd, ex-level-designer) - and I think another map would go a long ways towards longevity.

Community made maps would be a great option to have. Naturally they could have some approval process to white-list such maps.

After playing the recent versions quite a bit, I mostly don't approve of the long duration it takes to loot a hunter right now. When there's a team fight between teams 1/2, a 3rd team doesn't have to engage directly--as they can just camp bodies from a distance for a super easy head shot. I feel like the duration should be maybe 1/4 or 1/3 of what it is now.

Right now I'm deciding to not loot the recently deceased unless the bodies have plenty of wall coverage, or if it was a super fast wipe in the early game.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Varkas posted:

Community made maps would be a great option to have. Naturally they could have some approval process to white-list such maps.

After playing the recent versions quite a bit, I mostly don't approve of the long duration it takes to loot a hunter right now. When there's a team fight between teams 1/2, a 3rd team doesn't have to engage directly--as they can just camp bodies from a distance for a super easy head shot. I feel like the duration should be maybe 1/4 or 1/3 of what it is now.

Right now I'm deciding to not loot the recently deceased unless the bodies have plenty of wall coverage, or if it was a super fast wipe in the early game.

I usually burn the first one I kill to draw out his buddy - easiest and fastest way to make sure there's nobody shooting you later.

Yes, this is ALSO helped by the fact that they scream if they have friends - IMO they should always scream, even if they are alone, to remove that really cheaty aspect.

Won't stop me toasting the first guy to try draw the other out of hiding, though. VERY few people will leave their buddy to die outright.

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

DarkDobe posted:

I usually burn the first one I kill to draw out his buddy - easiest and fastest way to make sure there's nobody shooting you later.

Yes, this is ALSO helped by the fact that they scream if they have friends - IMO they should always scream, even if they are alone, to remove that really cheaty aspect.

Won't stop me toasting the first guy to try draw the other out of hiding, though. VERY few people will leave their buddy to die outright.

Oh I actually mean a scenario where you wipe another team completely, but then *another* 3rd party shows up while you were engaged and decides to just wait until you start looting the team you just wiped. They'll sit there for the longest time and just wait until you start the looting because they know they'll get a perfect opportunity to knock someone out.

The long loot time gives too much incentive to play that way.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Varkas posted:

Oh I actually mean a scenario where you wipe another team completely, but then *another* 3rd party shows up while you were engaged and decides to just wait until you start looting the team you just wiped. They'll sit there for the longest time and just wait until you start the looting because they know they'll get a perfect opportunity to knock someone out.

The long loot time gives too much incentive to play that way.

I don't think I've ever had that happen, actually?

Getting third partied is sort of a 'you're hosed anyways' scenario, though?

Are you both looting at the same time? Or do you take turns looting/guarding? Just seems like you're -already- being ambushed, so having it happen during looting is a matter of convenience for them.

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

DarkDobe posted:

Getting third partied is sort of a 'you're hosed anyways' scenario, though?

Are you both looting at the same time? Or do you take turns looting/guarding? Just seems like you're -already- being ambushed, so having it happen during looting is a matter of convenience for them.

We tend to be pretty mobile and do indeed loot one at a time. You can only spot so much though if folks are approaching from the right angles and making use of trees/bushes. I've had instances where clearly the 3rd team has eyes on us and could have fired at any point, but they deliberately wait because of how long it takes to loot right now.

I should add that this tends to occur around double-clue compounds that tend to attract a lot of players anyway.

Having a 3rd party definitely tips the odds against you, but we've been able to pull through at times depending on how much ammo/healing we spent with the first fight, and when the 3rd team decides to actually engage.

Varkas fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jun 27, 2019

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.
I personally have had several instances where my partner and I run to what is clearly a fight going on, come upon a dead body, look around to see where people are and watch some derp run out to loot the body in the open with no cover. 1 headshot. We're neither camping nor trying to abuse this strategy however the current loot timer is SO LONG even if you spot someone halfway through it you have more than enough time to line up an easy headshot. Assuming you don't suck.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

The new patch is going to have some fine changes and alot of ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

https://www.reddit.com/r/HuntShowdown/comments/c68cxc/627_livestream_full_recap_new_content_weapon/

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Rysithusiku posted:

The new patch is going to have some fine changes and alot of ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

https://www.reddit.com/r/HuntShowdown/comments/c68cxc/627_livestream_full_recap_new_content_weapon/

All of these changes sound awesome to me.

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

I'm intrigued/indifferent to most of those except for the Iron Repeater trait:

quote:

Remain in iron sights after firing a shot while using lever action rifles - Repeaters such as the Winfield now slightly fall off target in between shots, this also slightly decreases the firerate; having this trait will make the Winfield function exactly as it does on the current version

I always thought the big strength of the Winfield variants were that you didn't really need any accompanying traits and that you could be pretty spammy with them compared to long bullet weapons. So I'm not digging what sounds like a big nerf.

All that aside, I didn't realize how little protection you get from doors: https://streamable.com/nd4vc

I had a few bright moments in this engagement and one really embarrassing potato: https://streamable.com/sxd8q

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Varkas posted:

I'm intrigued/indifferent to most of those except for the Iron Repeater trait:

I always thought the big strength of the Winfield variants were that you didn't really need any accompanying traits and that you could be pretty spammy with them compared to long bullet weapons. So I'm not digging what sounds like a big nerf.

All that aside, I didn't realize how little protection you get from doors: https://streamable.com/nd4vc

I had a few bright moments in this engagement and one really embarrassing potato: https://streamable.com/sxd8q

i think they straight up said Winnies are over performing and they wanted to make them have SOME investment required to bring them in line with other guns

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

I don't think they're wrong in that, either? Winnies are -really- good, especially as a cost vs efficacy consideration.
They get a lot of work done, and for most engagement distances are perfectly capable of 1-tapping a hunter, and doing it while laying down rapid, accurate fire versus the bolt guns or even slower options.

That being said - I really think they need to add a hefty penalty to accuracy while moving.

Being able to sight in and strafe and still hit shots (be it shouldered or iron sighted) quite goes against the grain of everything else in the game being slow and deliberate.

Yes, it runs the risk of making shotguns even more potent... but that's kind of the point: they -should- be the only weapon that is 'viable' to run and shoot.

Right now I can get by perfectly fine circle strafing pumping rounds into dudes firing a winnie from the hip and it feels 'off'.

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

Rysithusiku posted:

i think they straight up said Winnies are over performing and they wanted to make them have SOME investment required to bring them in line with other guns

I could see that, despite them losing a ton of effectiveness at long ranges (unless you're landing consistent head shots) and through surfaces.

The change is probably just going to push me more more towards the Caldwell Rival/Uppercut combo even more now.

Varkas fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jun 28, 2019

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Varkas posted:

I could see that, despite them losing a ton of effectiveness at long ranges (unless you're landing consistent head shots) and through surfaces.

The change is probably just going to push me more more towards the Caldwell Rival/Uppercut combo even more now.

Is this a thing?
I haven't fooled around with the rival enough to form much of an opinion on it.

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

DarkDobe posted:

Is this a thing?
I haven't fooled around with the rival enough to form much of an opinion on it.

Yeah it's pretty cost effective. The main benefit of the Rival is its firing rate over other shotguns. If you need a second shot to finish someone off, it lets you get it out faster. If money isn't an issue, there's always the Crown & King of course.

The Uppercut complements it well for those medium to longish' ranges.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Women in the bayou: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-ZOpIbwZSs

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011
I'm honestly sick and tired of watching people dance back and forth while strafing and immediately getting a headshot while I'm lining up. makes me suspect hackers or that like Apex this isn't meant to be a realistic, but an arcade shooter.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Oh yeah, also notable is we've got a release date of August 27.
https://www.huntshowdown.com/news/hunt-release-dates-confirmed

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

E-Tank posted:

I'm honestly sick and tired of watching people dance back and forth while strafing and immediately getting a headshot while I'm lining up. makes me suspect hackers or that like Apex this isn't meant to be a realistic, but an arcade shooter.

The game really needs some sort of replay/spectating option on that note. Despite having plenty of deaths, my inclination has never been that someone was cheating as to why I died. The game definitely rewards players that have great twitch skills. Take Wizzdome for example.

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

By the power vested in me by random musings in tmt... I proclaim you guilty of crustophilia!
Replays would be nice. I don't get the feeling of playing against hackers mostly, although hacks do exist. When me or my partner keep getting 1-shot headshot through walls by the same guy multiple times in a game I get a little suspicious, although sometimes the game fails to render a wall. I've been guilty of headshotting someone through a wall that didn't render.

AbsoluteLlama fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jul 4, 2019

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

AbsoluteLlama posted:

Replays would be nice. I don't get the feeling of playing against hacker mostlys, although hacks do exist. When me or my partner keep getting 1-shot headshot through walls by the same guy multiple times in a game I get a little suspicious, although sometimes the game fails to render a wall. I've been guilty of headshotting someone through a wall that didn't render.

The 'shot through walls with perfect accuracy three times in a row' are about as suspicious as I get.

I get headshotted through a solid wall - I go down.
Buddy gets me up, gets his brains blown out a moment later.
I run outside - and the dude goes from knifing a zombie with his back to me - to 180 Mosin headshot by the time I raise my pistol.

Pretty much the most suspect thing that's happened to me.

That said - I'm going to keep throwing the suggestion to the devs that moving has a penalty on your aim. Right now you are still laser accurate while shuffling around and it feels so -off- in this game I don't know why they keep to it.

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

Another thing this game needs: in-game voice comms that are private to you and your partner. Most competitive folks are going to be using Discord anyway. I would probably be more inclined to play with randos if this were a thing.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
I played again for the first time in a while, and my first time on the new map / boss.

Overall the new map didn't thrill me too much. My partner and I stopped worrying about anyone seeing us enter compounds because, well, how the hell would they? Every compound has about a dozen outbuildings. It's a weird mix of the compounds being heavy on LoS blocks while the transition areas are flat with a few railroad tracks and rivers. Not great, not terrible.

I do really like the new guns - the Lemat is interesting and neat, the Lebel feels really good, and the Bomblance is 100% my game.

I'm not sure they needed to add in the tripwire items. They're handy I suppose, but why are we encouraging the bounty holders to turtle up even more?

Tales from the swamp:

On the old map, under the chapel we finish off the spider. A team tries the stairs on the east side but realizes it's bear trapped at the foot of the steps and tries to retreat - we blow one guy away away with my shotgun / partners lebel and wound the other. The second guy yells "YOLO" and vaults over the railing above to drop down. Hit hits the trap, takes fall damage and dies instantly.

-------

Sometime between these stories I decide to prestige. I wanted a fresh start and to challenge myself because I was fairly rusty after a long hiatus. My guy is a white shirt scrub with contraband weaponry. We get the bounty from one of the SW compounds on the new map (forget exactly which one.) One of the guys we killed had a bomblance, so I trade my stolen Specter bayonet for :orks101: reasons. The second bounty is NE toward the station. We were thinking there was a good chance that we were alone after killing off two teams at the first bounty but a random darksight check shows two behind us. We attempt to ambush them while they cross a field but my partner gets Mosin'ed through his skull. I have an uppercut, a bomblance, and a dream. I toss a dynamite stick on my buddies corpse to get a smokescreen. I get him up but he goes down again very quickly. The guys push me but we're in an area with a lot of shrubbery so they don't know exactly where I am, also they may be confused because my partner got back up and thought he was me. As one grabs my partner's bounty and checks his DS I charge him. I like to think he saw a massive blob of orange right before I cut him in two with the bomblance. His partner gets a hit off with his uppercut but it isn't enough and shares the same fate. Two Tier 3's kitted out dead to my stolen bomblance. :discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

I think the new map isn't quite as good as the original, but I do like how different the gameplay is. Rifles really shine on it in a way they don't with the old map. Shotguns are still viable for the large interior spaces.

As for tripwires? They aren't all that useful for turtles. At this point people are looking for them in obvious places like entrances. They seem to work best when used at the edges of compounds as more of an early warning, or set next to an explosive barrel for a fun deathtrap. Personally, they mostly get used as end of match celebration fireworks.