Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

My solution to Gatecrasher now is just to skip it because it's a huge annoying pain in the rear end to do and I've done it flawlessly a couple times now so I don't feel bad about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Nordick posted:

I for one have enjoyed reading this debate, and while Coolguye's sheer vehemence on the subject is a tiny bit unsavoury, I find soulmata's big effortposts very well crafted and informative, and am in agreement that the special soldier class known as "Reapers" are indeed dope as poo poo, because holy gently caress just look at how good they blow poo poo up, GOD drat

this is VERY GOOD

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

RBA Starblade posted:

My solution to Gatecrasher now is just to skip it because it's a huge annoying pain in the rear end to do and I've done it flawlessly a couple times now so I don't feel bad about it

Are you using Quicker Start or something else?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

marshmallow creep posted:

I use Quicker Start

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

marshmallow creep posted:

I'd have to look but probably that

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Nordick posted:

I for one have enjoyed reading this debate, and while Coolguye's sheer vehemence on the subject is a tiny bit unsavoury

sorry, i have to ask here: precisely how did this crop up? i never cursed, never called names, and even when people got hyperbolic for no real reason i refused to get emotional about anything and simply restated myself. i simply asserted what i felt was very clear at this point and listed the reasons why. at no point did i ever put anyone down and in fact when i addressed people personally i went out of my way to NOT make it personal.

i just really don't feel like it's fair to imply i'm being a weird zealot about this.

e:

Furism posted:

Now I want an edited version of soulmata's run so I can learn. I'm kind of steamrolling Commander difficulty so I want to step up to Legendary but I'm concerned it might be too frustrating. So watching a few learning videos would be interesting. I watched Beagle a lot but he's not really explaining the ropes (sometimes he does).

this is what he and i were discussing in the chat log from march that i posted. we have a good idea of what we want to do, but we both have pretty complicated lives right now so we haven't gotten around to sitting down to actually do it. that said, i am absolutely delighted to share what we've decided is important on an edited run that is actually consumable for people if folks would like to chip in on the editing effort. the commentary portion of things is actually much simpler.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jun 20, 2019

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Coolguye posted:

this is what he and i were discussing in the chat log from march that i posted. we have a good idea of what we want to do, but we both have pretty complicated lives right now so we haven't gotten around to sitting down to actually do it. that said, i am absolutely delighted to share what we've decided is important on an edited run that is actually consumable for people if folks would like to chip in on the editing effort. the commentary portion of things is actually much simpler.

Well I did a 68 hours long Let's Play Pillars of Eternity (it's in French, so nobody cares :smith:) so I have some experience (funnily enough it was also a max difficulty, Iron Man, Perma Death, No Stash run, the PoE equivalent of the XCOM2 campaign we're talking about). I'd say one of the most important part is to get the audio right and for this you need a good mic, an audio track separate from the game's audio, and use a DAW software (I highly recommend Reaper) to tweak the sound. I can recommend a couple of tutorials for audio engineering, they helped me get a really nice professional "PBS" sound.

You also want to cut any load time (unless you use those to voice over/comment), get a nice "splash screen/opening animation" (this stuff matters because it looks professional - mine could be better but short of buying After Effects it wasn't possible with the video editing software I used), avoid any annoying "uuh" or "hmmm" sounds (it's really hard to comment out loud and not make these pausing sounds, which get annoying for the audience and yourself - but you can usually easily edit them out with Reaper), learn about side-chain in audio editing (lowers the volume of one track - the game - when another one - the commentary - is active ; you don't notice it unless you do it and then your mind is blown).

As an example, this episode of my LP is fairly representative of the quality I was aiming for: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3QDGlNnpNM

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

sorry, i think i wasn't clear: what i actually meant was the video editing. the sound editing i agree on every point you brought up, and i have already hired a great sound editor for my normal LPs so that part is actually sorted out. the video editing, however, is basically gonna be a plug and chug matter of what you said and it requires a level of time expenditure neither soul nor i have at this juncture. gatecrasher only needs a little bit of cutting to be good (a couple cross fades to snip out one or two ~10-ish second delays as soul is making decisions and bob's your uncle) but some later ones are much longer and will require a little more thought - which turns into time we'd have to take away from either working or sleeping.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I'm finally getting around to playing Long War for Enemy Within (my old computer couldn't run long war at all but could run XCOM 2 at a hard 19 fps :confuoot:) and I basically need to relearn EW. Are there any good QoL mods anyone can recommend? I would give pretty much anything to be able to hit a button and apply the current load out to everyone of that class, letting the rookies dress themselves is Hell.

I also want to confirm, a country's readiness is just a flat deduction to how much panic they get from alien incursions, right? My first thought was that they'd withdraw at max readiness thinking they dont need us anymore, mixing :capitalism: and :xcom:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Coolguye posted:

sorry, i have to ask here: precisely how did this crop up? i never cursed, never called names, and even when people got hyperbolic for no real reason i refused to get emotional about anything and simply restated myself. i simply asserted what i felt was very clear at this point and listed the reasons why. at no point did i ever put anyone down and in fact when i addressed people personally i went out of my way to NOT make it personal.

i just really don't feel like it's fair to imply i'm being a weird zealot about this.

e:

Compare your posting length to the average post size of the rest of the thread. And you tend to personally address the person you're arguing with. It's probably not your intent, but I cant fault people for feeling you come off pretty aggressive.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

FoolyCharged posted:

Compare your posting length to the average post size of the rest of the thread. And you tend to personally address the person you're arguing with. It's probably not your intent, but I cant fault people for feeling you come off pretty aggressive.

if you say so but i took your advice and reviewed pages 9, 10, and 11 of my question mark (chosen because it was in the middle) and my posts are pretty short and memey except when i'm being forced to deal with long war zealotry actually.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Two pages back you got a little wall of text-y, and that's when people started taking it personally. I'll give you it's not as regular as I thought it was, mea culpa.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Danaru posted:

Even without remote start, the spicy-rear end combo of whipping a claymore at someone's feet then hitting it with a rocket is always a favourite of mine, especially against our weak to explosions/weak to reapers Chosen Assassin :getin:

I had a Chosen sitting next to an explosive hazard, and my reaper was in position to throw a claymore close enough to wound the Chosen and set off whatever the explodey bits were. Same setup as you, with the Assassin, Shell Shocked, and Weakness: Reapers :getin:

This is the only time I’ve ever one-shotted a Chosen from completely full health.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Usually when someone points out you are too aggressive and your first instinct is to prove that no you're not, that's kinda a problem

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzpndHtdl9A

it's okay to chill out sometimes cg

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Fangz posted:

Usually when someone points out you are too aggressive and your first instinct is to prove that no you're not, that's kinda a problem

i mean i was basically checking myself instead of wrecking myself but ???????? whatever dude, this feels really aggressive from you to me, not the other way around

Bogart posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzpndHtdl9A

it's okay to chill out sometimes cg

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Coolguye posted:

Yeah I didn't mean you were being insulting or anything, just that the tone of your messages came across as quite.... intense? I guess the irony here is that my remark might have come across as more of a serious criticism than I intended. :v:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

yeah that's fair holmes :coal:

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

soulmata posted:

I agree that Legend is mostly about the first month. There are a few other difficulty spikes that can make or break your campaign, though - especially an early UFO hunt or a bad roll on month 2 missions. There's another aspect on Legend, though, which is research, and if you miss important breakpoints you could end up under-teched when Sectopods hit the field, which can result in getting people killed. I generally figure that once I hit Tier 2, I'm probably pretty safe, but anything prior to tier 2 I need to be a lot more careful of.

I didn't say, however, and I don't think anyone did, that I needed a Reaper specifically for Gatecrasher. The Reaper is the easiest way to get a CPL promotion in GC, which leads to Remote Start, which leads to an early SGT, which leads to Squad Size 1 before the first retaliation, which makes for an easier first Chosen kill... it's all part of a general snowball strategy. No particular step is absolutely required. It's just part of a strategy that has multiple layers building off each other. It's easy to shuffle things around or change out one thing for another. It's the Reapers extra Plot Armor in her ridiculous OP 1-tile detection radius, Remote-Start-Triggering-Claymore-Pod-Destroying antics that make her VIP Month #1.

But yes - if you can tough out the first month on L/I, you have a good chance of finishing the campaign. It just has more Gotchas than a Commander campaign.

Intentionally feeding XP to hit sergeant early honestly never occurred to me. I always try to spread the XP around because of how ball-busting injuries are on Legendary. If you’re gonna do that then I concede the point, Reapers don’t get shot at much if you’re playing your cards right and they’re built for stealing kills. If you seriously get Squad 1 before the first Retaliation that’s a major difference-maker—I usually get it right after with Skirmisher. That first retaliation is always so drat dicey.

The only downside is that the Reaper HQ still kinda sucks early game. But if you get a little lucky with scanning spots that isn’t much of a problem. You typically only scan at HQ when the scan spots suck...but I just really, really hate waiting months for poo poo to build.

PhoenixFlaccus
Jul 15, 2011

KFC Famous Bowl
Just tried EU on my phone again and man is the camera frustrating. I thought plugging in a mouse would help prevent misclicks and it does, but the controls in general still aren't great. That plus how hard it is to see because of how dark the game is in combination with a smallish screen probably means I'm done with this version. It'd be so cool to play XCOM on the go if it were done a little better.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

PhoenixFlaccus posted:

Just tried EU on my phone again and man is the camera frustrating. I thought plugging in a mouse would help prevent misclicks and it does, but the controls in general still aren't great. That plus how hard it is to see because of how dark the game is in combination with a smallish screen probably means I'm done with this version. It'd be so cool to play XCOM on the go if it were done a little better.

It's not quite Xcom, but the Mario and Cold War variants on Switch do well in portable mode

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Yeah, I tried to make it work a couple of times and likewise ultimately found it too frustrating. Maybe on an ipad or something, but on a phone, it just doesn't really work.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I really liked the phone port and hope they wind up doing one of wotc

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

FoolyCharged posted:

I really liked the phone port and hope they wind up doing one of wotc

Yeah apart from a few weird camera bugs here and there, the phone port worked really well for me and I enjoyed it on my old Sony Z5C, so that was a tiny 4-inch screen and it was still playable.

When I next get the itch to replay EW I'll be trying it out on my Samsung S9 which should give much more real estate to prevent misclicks or any screen-size-related frustrations.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Chronojam posted:

It's not quite Xcom, but the Mario and Cold War variants on Switch do well in portable mode

Phantom Doctrine? I keep wanting to give that a shot.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Does anyone else find it kinda weird how it's only been 20 years but the Reapers and Skirmishers act like they've been around for generations

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Improbable Lobster posted:

Does anyone else find it kinda weird how it's only been 20 years but the Reapers and Skirmishers act like they've been around for generations

Do you remember how long 2018 felt? Imagine that except also aliens keep vaporizing your house

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

a lot can happen in twenty years

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
youll understand in 15 years

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Tollymain posted:

youll understand in 15 years

tollymain confirmed advent plant

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
no just somebody watching current real-world trends

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.
I have the LOST on any mission sittrep and then the Chosen attacked the Avenger and lol, wtf is happening? This mission took like 2 loving hours and almost killed my computer.

I'd say that 3/4th of my soldiers are out with exhaustion forever... gonna be a long recovery process from this. What's even better is that I was getting ready to attack a blacksite to bring down the Avatar counter and now...

:xcom:

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

holy poo poo you’d think that kind of mission would be exempt. lmao

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Tollymain posted:

no just somebody watching current real-world trends

You're so completely right :smith:

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
the period of time between 1919 and 1939 alone has filled entire volumes with information, and the postwar collapse of every organized human government and society into the single, monolithic ADVENT would probably be even busier.

NuttO
Oct 22, 2001

sold fifty gold sixty platinum

drkeiscool posted:

the period of time between 1919 and 1939 alone has filled entire volumes with information, and the postwar collapse of every organized human government and society into the single, monolithic ADVENT would probably be even busier.

says here in my advent history book that nothing of note happened and everyone is much happier now

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
welp I was playing my first ever like hard coded ironman run which I never did before because of game bugs I was afraid of something going wrong with a mod or something and uhh it sure did

I was playing the avenger defense mission, took down the disruptor, was in the process of retreating, when all of a sudden I shoot an enemy and then without me ever inputting the take off command, the mission just ends and all my dudes except for one got captured and so I guess I also lost all the alien boss weapons too

I mean I could probably still win but man what a bug

probably won't bother finishing this game cause like man that's pretty annoying!

I guess if I were hyper aware about it I could have maybe alt+f4'd as soon as the bonus window from Flawless popped up but I didn't really connect what was even happening

edit: whew, looks like when I alt+f4'd from the normal avenger screen that apparently wasn't too late, since I didn't hit "save and exit" I still had a save point from the mission before so that's cool as long as the avenger doesn't fuckin just leave me this time!!

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Jun 23, 2019

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

NuttO posted:

says here in my advent history book that nothing of note happened and everyone is much happier now

except for those drat xcom terrorists! :argh:

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

20 years as a guerrilla are about 70 years in normal time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paranoid Peanut
Nov 13, 2009

Beagle is back!! :allears: