Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

chaosapiant posted:

The mouse itself is plenty old school, it’s WASD that came later. Before that there was no “right” way to play Doom.

Yeah, its important that when doom came out nobody agreed on how to play it. I had a friend who bound forward to mouse click, I'm pretty sure I used the arrow keys.

I also definitely played doom and dark forces keyboard-only for awhile, using arrow keys and control to shoot, and for shooters with no y-axis I think that still plays pretty well.

But by the quake age everybody was using WSAD and mouse, and then I started using the same on doom too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
There were super early FPSes that by default bound forward to pushing the mouse forward. I think even stock Quake will do this if you don't set the right console variables.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I just fired up Wolf3d to try out its mouse controls and I'm actually quite impressed at how well it controls and how fun it is to use pretty much only the mouse (including for walking backwards and forwards). I might actually play through it this way, since it feels much more fluid and fast paced than my memory of slowly rotating my way to victory.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

joedevola posted:

For a long time I had forward mapped to the right mouse button, which I used like the accelerator in a car.

It made sense at the time.

Fool, mouse1 is for forward. Mouse2 is for jump!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Speaking of fun control schemes, I remember going from Doom to Descent and losing my poo poo at all the buttons I needed. I still played that completely keyboard only with the following binds:
roll left/right=7/9
turn left/right=4/6
strafe left right=1/3
forward=8
back=2
up= numpad minus
down=numpad plus
5=center ship ( I think this was a thing)
tab=accelerate/boost
ctrl=primary fire
space=alt fire

I got super fluid and moving my ship around, but replaying Descent today I cannot fathom how I ever pulled this off.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

SpaceAceJase posted:

what the gently caress?

Move forward and move back are the two most used functions in an FPS, so it made sense at the time. Easier than inventing WASD and less awkward than playing with your left hand on the arrow keys with your pinky stretched over to the space bar.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Sometimes I'm glad my mom thought playing FPS games would make me into a serial killer or want to join the army or whatever and my first real shooter was RTCW, well after WASD+Mouselook had become standard.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i grew up with arrow keys doom but i can't remember how we all played like that.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I’ve never been able to find a button config that makes descent comfortable to play

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Groovelord Neato posted:

i grew up with arrow keys doom but i can't remember how we all played like that.

Kinda where I'm at too. I know I did it, but can't remember how the hell I did it well enough to get through the games, including keyboard only Thy Flesh Consumed.

Overbite posted:

I’ve never been able to find a button config that makes descent comfortable to play

My new config, which is basically identical to most FPS games:

WASD=forward reverse strafe left right
Mouse= look around/point ship nose
Q and E=Roll left/right
Space=slide up (like jumping)
C or Ctrl=Slide down (like crouching)
mouse buttons fire.

It plays really well. Also, Xbox controller works super good as well and is a natural fit for 6DOF games. Try an Xbox controller with Overload, it feels really good.

chaosapiant fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jun 20, 2019

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Anyway, I've only finished the first two episodes but I'm really enjoying Amid Evil. I was originally worried that it would compare unfavourably to DUSK but they're such different games that I've stopped associating the two. For one thing, the levels are all much more wide-open and abstract, in some cases they're more like outsized arenas. This does mean they've been individually less memorable. The weapons are all great too; weird but practical and very satisfying to use. The lightning gun's a real standout, especially with the way it chains into enemies if you keep blasting away. I initially thought the game might get repetitive with only a handful of monster types per episode, but they're short enough that it hasn't gotten stale. All in all, one hell of a game!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Oh! I've thought of one game whose archaic, default control scheme I still use. Freespace 2. Throttle up on "A", down on "Z", let me cycle my gun banks with punctuation, baby!

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

So is there a way to make Blood II somewhat better, other than going in 8-year old mode and using weapon cheats nonstop? And does difficulty have an influence on the amount of enemies?

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

man in the eyeball hat posted:

this owns and makes me want to play doom like a racing game

quake rally?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Soricidus posted:

quake rally?

I think that's just rage

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Is there any one person who is credited with coming up with the WASD standard?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Is there any one person who is credited with coming up with the WASD standard?
Thresh didn't come up with it, but he definitely popularized it.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Quake 2 was the first time where I used the current standard for FPS, as I guess, lots of people here. The curious thing imo is how easily it won me. I personally found it super intuitive, it was like a revelation. I think in just a few minutes I was playing with total smoothness.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

There was a short time when I'd gotten back into PC FPS games with Counter-Strike and CoD 1 where I used the numpad a lot. I had to fight myself to start using WASD again, though I still kind of like the idea of the numpad. It's intuitive for a lot of reasons, but it's not ideal.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
As a young lad I played doom and marathon with 8456 on the numpad as my movement with 7 and 9 as strafe, space as use key, and / as fire. It was dumb but it worked

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

I played Doom and Half-Life with a joystick of all things when I first got into PC gaming in 1998. Coming from consoles, I just figured that was what PC gamers did too?

After getting my rear end handed to me in Team Fortress multiplayer and reading the Gamespy forums, I learned that WASD was the way to go.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I played Doom and Half-Life with a joystick of all things when I first got into PC gaming in 1998. Coming from consoles, I just figured that was what PC gamers did too?

After getting my rear end handed to me in Team Fortress multiplayer and reading the Gamespy forums, I learned that WASD was the way to go.

Yeah we went from Atari to Doom, so I used a joystick for Doom and Heretic. We really couldn't imagine using anything else for games.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
When I'm keypadding I use 0 and Enter as the strafe keys, it's more natural finger placement and it lets you circle strafe without weird contortions. Up and down arrow are look, left is vertical center. For Marathon everything else is on the left hand, for Descent I use the rest of the number pad for the extra movement axes and misc commands like flares.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
  • AMID EVIL is now out in full, non-early-access form on Steam and GOG. There's a 20% launch discount, and it'll be taking part in the upcoming Steam sale.
  • Quake 2 RTX updated yesterday to add support for OGG music and fix various bugs.
  • The next update to Maximum Action will include a DUSK-themed map because something something fauxtro-FPS-cinematic-universe something.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The Kins posted:

[*]AMID EVIL is now out in full, non-early-access form on Steam and GOG. There's a 20% launch discount, and it'll be taking part in the upcoming Steam sale.

There's a combo deal with Dusk right now too, if anyone doesn't have that already.

what's the correct pronunciation for "wasd"

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
i pronounce it "wasd"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
With a soft G

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Amid Evil is being a fun enough classic FPS romp, and there are cool architecture to see in Eps 4 and 5, but as much as it pains me to say it (there isn't that many traditional shooters in the market) it isn't as good as I hoped. I'm writing my list of complaints, I guess I will wait until I finish the game on the weekend to post it.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Hwurmp posted:

There's a combo deal with Dusk right now too, if anyone doesn't have that already.

wei-rear end-duh

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Soricidus posted:

i pronounce it "wasd"

Because most games had you define keys as Forward/Up, Reverse/Down, Left and Right in that order, I called it "wuh-sad" for years.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Wahs dee :hehe:

Majin
Apr 15, 2003

Hwurmp posted:

Waz-DUH

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

chaosapiant posted:

Speaking of fun control schemes, I remember going from Doom to Descent and losing my poo poo at all the buttons I needed. I still played that completely keyboard only with the following binds:
roll left/right=7/9
turn left/right=4/6
strafe left right=1/3
forward=8
back=2
up= numpad minus
down=numpad plus
5=center ship ( I think this was a thing)
tab=accelerate/boost
ctrl=primary fire
space=alt fire

I got super fluid and moving my ship around, but replaying Descent today I cannot fathom how I ever pulled this off.
In college I met someone who was as much into Descent as I was into Doom and he was a keyboard player. He was less than pleased when a Descent casual like me beat him handily in a one-on-one using a mouse for aiming. I couldn’t do vertical movement very well but it didn’t matter that much compared to the increase in aiming speed.

I tried using a DualShock 3 when I replayed Descent recently and it’s good... when I’m not fighting. I think it’s too awkward to have fingers on all four shoulder buttons (do console pros do this?) so my movement suffers when I have to juggle shooting as well.

I briefly played Descent with an ancient VR headset with a SpaceOrb (thanks to the same college friend) and that was... interesting.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Wazzzzd.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

double-you-ay-ess-dee

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Samopsa posted:

High Noon Drifter (tough because no real BFG equivalents)

Couple days late and a few dollars short, but the Mask of Basilissa's primary fire is a straight-up BFG clone. Exact same functionality, behavior, and everything--it just also sets enemies on fire. You can't get more BFG equivalent than that!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Hwurmp posted:

I've always said "double-ewe aye ess dee" and I've always thought people who said "waz-duh" were odd.

Chinook posted:

double-you-ay-ess-dee

Mah man

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
My 1990s control scheme was:
Mouse + Arrow keys + shifting the keyboard to the left so the arrow keys are in front of my left hand.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
I learned FPS from the original Quake TF mod. I had Mouse 2 - A - S - D for movement, Mouse 1 for fire, Q and W for prime grenades 1 and 2, E to throw grenades, c for detonate pipes, v for detpack, and backspace for tossing a backpack.

Once I started playing other FPS games I switch to true WASD, but that wasn’t until 98 or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Amid Evil question, about the difficulty select "level":
Is there anything secret except the "Evil Difficulty", which I already found? I managed to jump over to some weird area to the left of the bridge, and I saw some goofy writing on the wall that kind of looked like a smiley face, and the text "OWO WHAT'S THIS...?" appeared. It didn't seem to do anything anywhere else in the level. I don't believe there's a USE key, but I tried hitting it a bunch. Also, I smashed all of the urns in the level, and that didn't do anything. I just have a hunch I'm missing something