Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Call tech support

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Adults are useless.

Box it up and send it back

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Get in the box!

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Third option: grab a baseball and beat the poo poo out of it.

...No? Fine, back in the box it is.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

There’s got to be some way to get the Annihilator back into its box, you decide.

But how? You stare at the box for a minute, racking your brain for a good idea.

WHHIRRR...

The robot is moving again. It walks over to its cardboard box. It flashes its lights.

Hey – what’s it looking at? you wonder.

Then you see it. The spacemen! It’s looking at a picture of the spacemen that were supposed to come with it in the box. That’s what it’s programmed to destroy.

You race to your little brother Geoffrey’s room and dig around in his toy box. You know he’s got an old plastic spaceman in there somewhere. It’s his favorite toy.

Finally you find it. A red plastic space pilot. One of its arms is missing. But it will have to do.

You hurry back to the living room.

“Hey – robot!” you call. “Look what I have!”

The Annihilator lurches toward you. Its eyes light up and start flashing when it sees the spaceman in your hands.

Quickly you toss the spaceman into the cardboard box and stand back.

quote:

WHHHIRR...

The Annihilator stares into the box for a minute. As if it’s thinking. Wondering: Is this a trap?

Finally, it can’t resist. Still whirring, it throws itself into the box headfirst. And starts ripping at your little brother’s plastic toy.

Quickly you slam the flaps of the box closed, locking it in. You grab some heavy packaging tape. You stretch about sixteen pieces across the lid so it can’t get out.

Then you phone the Hasley Toy Company and tell them to send a truck to pick up the Annihilator.

quote:

By the time your mom gets home for dinner, the whole horrible mess is over.

Except for one thing.

Geoffrey’s favorite toy is missing.

Uh-oh. You thought the Annihilator was trouble?

Wait till you see what Geoffrey can do!

THE END

It might seem odd to get a good ending this early, but for some reason, the Annihilator path has a lot of alternate good endings. In fact, there's only one ending on the entire path that can be considered a "bad end" in the traditional sense. I was half-tempted to make that one our goal ending just for laughs.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Goal Endings: 0/2

Bad Endings
None yet.

Achievements
:siren:Return to Sender: Got rid of the Annihilator 3000 at the earliest possible opportunity.:siren:

Our options posted:

• Go on the Hasley Toy Factory tour.
  • Call the Hasley Toy Company.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Well, that was...easy.

Call the company

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Who you gonna call?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

rudecyrus posted:

Who you gonna call?

Hasley Toys!

PumpkinBat
Oct 22, 2012
Why does it seem all middle-class American kids have an aquarium in their bedrooms?

That being said, it's refreshing to see that our current protagonist cares about his two guppies. So many times fish are regarded as disposable pets.

I'm not sure why the robot couldn't just blast itself out of a flimsy box, tape or no tape. Maybe it's programmed to go into standby mode while in a box? Or was its objective complete when it beat up a space dude?

Also, forget Geoffrey. Dad lost his whole collection. :(

Call that company and have them compensate us for those cards!

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

You’d better call the toy company. Someone there can tell you how to stop this crazy robot.

“Hang in there, Patches!” you shout.

You race to the kitchen and pick up the phone.

But you don’t know the number. You need the letter from the toy company. The one in the black envelope.

But it’s on the desk in your room.

FZZZZZTTT!

Mrrrrrrrroooooowwwww!

Oh, no. Not again.

CLUNK, CLUNK, CLUNK.

The noise is right behind you.

You’ve got a bad feeling...

You put the phone back on the hook, then turn around slowly.

quote:

It’s Patches! She’s dragging an ice cube on the end of her tail. The Annihilator must have zapped her with its freeze-beam!

Patches meows unhappily and twitches her tail, trying to shake the ice off.

The Annihilator strides in behind her and stops. Its eyes glow. It seems to be staring straight at you.

Patches darts behind your legs and cowers there.

The Annihilator just stands there. Not moving.

Somehow, that makes you more scared. Not less. It’s as if the robot is thinking... planning...

Plotting what to do next.

The hair on the back of your neck stands up.

I’ll call 911, you think.

But as you reach for the phone, a horrible high-pitched noise blares out of the Annihilator’s head: SCREEEEEEEEECH!

A quick burst of laser beam shoots from its hand. A bright red line of light zaps straight into the wall phone.

ZZZZTT!

Slowly you pick up the receiver. You bring it to your ear.

No dial tone. The line is dead!

quote:

The phone slips from your hand. It hits the floor with a clunk.

The Annihilator watches you.

Motionless.

Waiting for you to make the next move.

Your gaze darts frantically around the kitchen. Then, out of the corner of your eye, you spot a folded piece of paper...

Maybe it’s the instruction sheet! The one that came in the box with the Annihilator!

Suddenly you’re dying to read those instructions. They could tell you how to turn the crazy robot off.

WHHHIRR...

The Annihilator takes a step toward you. Then stands motionless again.

Are you going to reach for the instructions?

Or should you make a run for it? Maybe the phone in the living room is still working...

If you reach for the instructions, turn to PAGE 41.

If you try to dash to another phone, turn to PAGE 75.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
None yet.

Achievements
Return to Sender: Got rid of the Annihilator 3000 at the earliest possible opportunity.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Find another phone

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Read the manual

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Run for another phone

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
If you need instructions on how to get through this bullshit, check out the enclosed instruction book.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

MelvinBison posted:

If you need instructions on how to get through this bullshit, check out the enclosed instruction book.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

MelvinBison posted:

This response is excellent and I agree with it.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Hope we get a lotta spaghetti!

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Aha! Here's the problem: too many robots!

quote:

The instructions will help you stop this maniac toy, you decide. You’ll just reach over and try to pick them up.

WHIRRRRRRR...

The Annihilator is still watching you. Still waiting.

You crouch down slowly. You reach out. Grasp the piece of paper between two fingers. Pry it open and tilt it so you can read it without making any sudden moves.

WHIRRRRRR...

Your heart sinks. It’s not the instructions at all. It’s a note from your mom!

Hi, Kiddo,

Gone to pick up Geoffrey at day care. But weather channel said there might be a hurricane – could trap me on other side of town. If I’m not home by 5:15, go next door to Mrs. Carlyle’s. I’ll call you if I have a problem.

Love, Mom

You gulp.

A hurricane? Things just went from bad to worse.

You glance out the window. The sky is growing dark. It’s after five o’clock now. Maybe your mom is trying to call.

But she can’t. The phone is dead!

quote:

A jagged flash of lightning brightens the sky.

When it’s gone, you notice the sky is a dark greenish gray. While you were putting out fires, a storm was moving in.

CRACCKKK! KA-BOOM!

Thunder!

It’s right over the house. Then the wind and rain start. The storm is so loud and violent, it sounds like a freight train outside your door.

WHHHIRRRRR...

The Annihilator doesn’t seem to care about the storm. It’s still watching you. Standing guard. As if it’s trying to keep you from leaving the kitchen...

Every cell in your body is telling you to run for your life. To get out of the house. To run to your neighbor, Mrs. Carlyle.

But you’re sure that if you leave, you’ll never see your home again. The Annihilator will destroy it.

The red lights that serve as its eyes are dim, barely glowing. What is it thinking? Can it think?

You start to wonder if there’s a way you could trick it.

If you try to trick the robot, turn to PAGE 51.

If you run to Mrs. Carlyle's house, turn to PAGE 97.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
None yet.

Achievements
Return to Sender: Got rid of the Annihilator 3000 at the earliest possible opportunity.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Kick it!

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Mom has the right idea!

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
robots are dumb

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Go next door. A hurricane is a perfect excuse for the damage to our house.

"What kind of hurricane leaves scorch marks?"
"Weather is getting pretty crazy, huh?"

PumpkinBat
Oct 22, 2012

AceOfFlames posted:

I cannot argue with this logic.

Also, I noticed the robot didn't actually attack us until we attempted to switch it off. I think if we go next door, it will actually let us retreat.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

AceOfFlames posted:

I was on the fence, but your logic is unassailable. Go Next Door.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Next door!

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
A loving hurricane?

Go next door

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

Pillbug
Go next door.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Fighting a killer robot to the death is business as usual for a kid in the 90s, but I don't fancy our chances against a hurricane. Better seek shelter!

quote:

Thunder crashes again and again. Lightning flickers every few seconds. Rain lashes the kitchen windows.

The storm is scary. But you’re not staying here with that maniac robot. You’ve got to get out!

You glance at the back door. Then you sneak a quick look at the Annihilator.

Will it let you leave?

Or will it try to fry you when you make a run for it?

You take a few deep breaths and gather your courage.

Then you dart for the door, twist the handle, and...

EEEEEEEE! A piercing shriek blasts out of the robot.

It shoots a red laser at your hand. But it misses. Sparks jump from the door frame inches from your hand.

You swing the door open and run into the windy, rainy night!

You stumble and try to wipe the rain from your eyes. The wind is so strong, you can barely run against it.

A bright light flashes behind you!

The Annihilator! you think. You fall face first into the mud and wait for the laser blast to pierce your back.

quote:

Seconds pass. And no laser blast.

You lift yourself onto your elbows and look back.

That flash wasn’t the Annihilator. It was lightning.

You know, because through your kitchen window you can see the robot, still standing there.

You let out a sob of relief.

You scramble to your feet and run to Mrs. Carlyle’s house. You yank open the door and stumble into the kitchen.

“Oh!” Ms. Carlyle says, startled. “You scared me!” Then she sees your wet clothes and frowns.

“I’ll get you a towel, dear,” she says. As she bustles down the hall, she talks to you in a loud voice. “I was wondering when you’d come over. Your mom called a while ago. She said your phone isn’t working. Must be the storm.”

She comes back into the kitchen and drapes a towel over your shoulders. “Let me make you some hot chocolate,” she clucks.

As Mrs. Carlyle busies herself at the stove, you peer through the window toward your house.

You see another blinding flash of light.

Then flames burst through your kitchen windows.

Your mouth drops open. You can’t believe it.

Your house is on fire!

quote:

You know that wasn’t lightning.

It was the Annihilator. And it’s burning down your house!

“No,” you moan.

Then your stomach lurches. Patches! Patches is trapped in the house. If you don’t rescue her, she’ll burn up!

You race out into the wind and rain. Tree branches blow so hard, they whip your face.

“Patches!” you scream as you run. But the wind is roaring so loudly, you can barely hear your own voice.

Suddenly your ankle twists on a rock in the yard.

Your feet fly out from under you. The world turns over. And you land on your head. Hard.

“Ow,” you moan.

Then everything around you goes black.

quote:

You open your eyes and blink.

Your mom is sitting by your bed. In your own room!

“Mom?” you squeak, surprised. “What day is it?”

Your mom leans forward. “Tuesday, honey,” she says, stroking your forehead. “I kept you out of school. You have a concussion.”

“But the storm – the Annihilator,” you murmur, still feeling weak and strange. “The... the house was on fire. And Patches was going to burn up, and –“

Your mom frowns. “No, sweetheart,” she reassures you. “You must be a little confused. Patches is fine. And lightning did strike the house, but it didn’t do much damage. Except – I hate to tell you this, sweetie – that toy you won... it burned up. We found it in the kitchen, all charred and ruined.”

What a relief!

“But don’t worry,” your mom goes on. “I called the Hasley Toy Company, and they’re sending another one.”

“Oh, no!” you groan.

You’d like to close your eyes. But you know you’d better keep them open from now on. Because there’s one thing you know about the Annihilator.

It will be back!

THE END

Turns out a hurricane actually was the perfect excuse for the damage to our house! And assuming the Annihilator can't actually do anything until we open the box, that still leaves us the option of just returning it, throwing it away, giving it to someone we don't like, etc. All in all, this ending turned out pretty well!

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
None yet.

Achievements
:siren:Rock You Like a Hurricane: Let Mother Nature dispose of the Annihilator 3000 for us.:siren:

Our options posted:

• Dash to another phone.
  • Try to trick the robot.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Let's trick the bot!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Junpei posted:

Let's trick the bot!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Tricky trickster!

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Execute trick.exe

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

Pillbug
I hope we use a paradox on it.

PumpkinBat
Oct 22, 2012
That went remarkably well. Also it's amazing that our protagonist was willing to go back into the house and risk the Annihilator for their cat. I expected that they would have then tried to get the guppies as well. This kid's braver than I am.

Trick the robot!

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Told you it would work!

Trick the robot.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Tricking it worked out well in one alternate timeline already, so maybe it'll work here?

quote:

What is the robot thinking? you wonder. What does it want?

It’s hard to tell. But if the Annihilator is as alive as it seems to be, maybe there’s some way to trick it.

It’s worth a try, anyway.

Your heart pounds as you scan the kitchen. Searching for something good to offer the robot.

What would it like? you ask yourself. A cookie? A glass of milk? Somehow the Annihilator doesn’t seem like the milk-and-cookies type.

Then you spot your little brother’s toy fire truck under the kitchen table. It’s a dumb baby toy. But it does light up and make sounds. Kind of like the Annihilator – but not as bad tempered.

You pick up the fire truck and hold it out to the robot.

The robot raises an arm. Its eyes glow brighter.

Then it takes the truck from you!

quote:

The Annihilator studies the fire truck. Then it switches the toy on.

WHEEEEEEE! goes the truck’s siren. The Annihilator seems to jump a little. Then it leans down and rolls the truck back and forth on the floor.

The Annihilator is playing! you think. All the lights on its face are pulsing brightly. It whirs excitedly.

Then the truck’s siren peters out. Its lights go off.

Uh-oh. The batteries are dead!

quote:

The Annihilator looks confused for a moment.

Then it raises the truck above its head and smashes it down! Bright red pieces of plastic scatter all over the kitchen floor.

“Oh, no,” you moan, backing up fearfully.

The Annihilator stalks toward you, its face lights flashing. Then it holds out one hand.

“What do you want?” you whisper. “Another toy to destroy?”

You glance around quickly. There – on the counter. Your little brother’s plastic stretchy man. A toy called Big Bob.

Without getting too close, you push Big Bob toward the Annihilator.

The robot’s lights flash eagerly as it picks up Big Bob. But the stretchy toy doesn’t beep or glow.

The Annihilator doesn’t like it!

With one powerful twist of its hands, it tears Big Bob’s head off and slams it to the floor!

WHHIRRR...

The Annihilator gazes around again. For something else...

quote:

You swallow hard.

What should you give the Annihilator next? More of your little brother’s toys?

Yeah. Maybe.

WHHHIRRR...

It’s walking out of the kitchen.

You have to decide.

Are you going to try to figure out what it wants?

Or should you try to trick it back into its box?

If you still want to trick the Annihilator, turn to PAGE 59.

If you'd rather get it back into its box, turn to PAGE 88.

Deciding to lure the Annihilator back into its box has the same result as it did the last time we were given the option, so let's just keep trying to trick it.

quote:

Your plan is to try to trick the Annihilator. It’s the only way you can control it.

At least, that is your plan – until you follow the robot into your dad’s office.

Its eyes light up when it sees your dad’s new laptop computer. It holds out a hand again.

You gulp and shake your head. The Annihilator is scary.

But so is your dad when he’s miffed!

“No way,” you say. “You can’t have the computer. My dad is already going to kill me about the baseball cards!”

The Annihilator spins toward you and raises its arm.

ZZTT! A laser beam shoots out.

“Ouch!” you cry, jerking your hand away from the shock.

The Annihilator whirls back around to the computer and flashes its lights again. The message is clear. It wants the computer.

Forget controlling the robot. You have to disable it for good! You scan the office frantically for some kind of weapon.

Then your eyes light on your dad’s golf clubs. His new metal driver twinkles in the light.

Should you try to tee off on the robot’s head?

If you give the robot the computer, turn to PAGE 110.

If you smack it with a golf club instead, go to PAGE 23.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
None yet.

Achievements
Rock You Like a Hurricane: Let Mother Nature dispose of the Annihilator 3000 for us.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9DhpjRklgk

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

A Man Chooses. A Slave Obeys.

Fore!

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jun 23, 2019

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Hey, Annihilator! Hope you're ready for a sub-par review!

quote:

You lunge for the driver. Yank it out of the golf bag. Then grip it tightly in two hands.

SMACK! WHACK!

You swing the club down hard on the Annihilator’s head.

A shattering, splintering noise fills the room.

CRA-ACCCCKKK!

The plastic body of the robot splits open. Right down the middle.

It cracks completely in two!

You shriek in horror when you see what’s inside.

quote:

The shattered halves of the robot’s body fall away.

WHIRRRR...

WHIRRRR...

There, in the wreckage, are two smaller robots. Two Annihilator 1500s!

They each look exactly like the Annihilator 3000. But half its size.

They roll forward, blinking their little lights and beeping. They seem to move much faster than the Annihilator 3000.

Then you notice. One of them has a smile on its face. And one has a frown.

“Hel-lo,” the smiling one says in an electronic robot voice. “I am ready to serve you.”

“Destroy. Destroy,” the mean-looking one says as it rolls from the room.

On the way out, it shoots a laser beam. A pile of papers on your dad’s desk whoosh into flames.

This one is even more powerful than the big Annihilator, you realize with horror.

You douse the fire with a pitcher of drinking water on the desk. Then you take off after the bad robot.

quote:

You rush down the hall. The smiling robot stumps along behind you.

“How do I turn it off?” you shout to the good robot.

“Knock him over,” the good robot advises. “There’s a switch on the bottom of his feet.”

You race to the kitchen and grab a broom. Then dash into the living room. The bad Annihilator is about to blast the couch!

You swing the broom hard. The robot tumbles over. You use the broom handle the flick off its switch.

“Hurray! I’ve hated him forever,” the nice robot shouts. “Quick, throw him away.”

You think about that for a minute. You’re tempted...

But what about when the class bully starts hanging around your yard? Trying to steal your bike? Or your lunch money?

You might need the bad robot someday.

quote:

You decide to keep the bad Annihilator 1500 in your closet. Turned off. Just in case.

But you quickly throw the broken Annihilator 3000 in the trash. Along with the box it came in. You don’t want your mom to know what happened.

She’d never believe it, for one thing.

And, besides, if she knew about the fires, she’d probably make you throw all the robots away!

Somehow, you’ll have to do something about your dad’s baseball cards. But you’ll think about that another day.

A few minutes later, your mom walks into the house. The Annihilator 1500 is standing in the kitchen.

“Welcome home,” the nice robot declares. “How may I serve you?”

Your mom takes one look at it and frowns. “I thought they were going to send you the Annihilator 3000,” she says.

“Uh, well, they sent this instead,” you reply.

Your mom shakes her head. “See? I told you not to get your hopes up too high. Those contests never turn out the way you hope they will. Just remember, Mom knows best!”

THE END

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

:siren:Goal Endings: 1/2:siren:

Bad Endings
None yet.

Achievements
Rock You Like a Hurricane: Let Mother Nature dispose of the Annihilator 3000 for us.

Whoever suggested attacking the Annihilator with a baseball bat earlier: it turns out you were on the right track, you just got the sport wrong. Either way, hopefully Stine (or his ghostwriter) put a bit more effort into writing the other path!

Our options posted:

• Dash to another phone.
  • Give the Annihilator your dad's laptop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Remember, kids: violence solves all your problems.

Now let's see that factory.