Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

and, most importantly, the new character will never feel equal if there is always a group of older players they can never hope to crack into, and that will discourage people from playing. hell, someone i tried (and failed) to get into eve asked me when they started playing if eve let them ever catch up to the people who had been playing forever. he didn't mean "can i fly that specific ship as well" he meant it in a more general sense - and because this was before skillpoint injectors, the answer was no. i'm pretty sure that was not a positive answer for him.

remove skill injectors, a new player in goonswarm could hope one day with hard work to be as rich as me. they could hope to be as space-important as me. many people have hit either of those bars. they could never hope to ever have as many skillpoints as my main, and that will be offputting to people who will feel like a permanent underclass even if you tell them that in practice, three months of actually flying in fleets will make them better at flying any of the ships that my main can theoretically fly "perfectly" that i could not tell you how to fit if my life depended on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

evilweasel posted:

in a game like eve, flexibility is a tremendously valuable character trait, not least because if you want to pvp you must also have some ability to make money (requiring you to spec into a seperate role) and what pvp ships are "good" changes routinely. if we are both equally good at the FOTM because you spent your first six months training into it, we are not equal when that FOTM changes and you have to train an entirely new set of skills that i trained six years ago to have a decent ship

we are also not equal if, say, the current war ends and the ship you trained that is good in massive wars is no good in low-level skirmishing that happens in between wars (or vice versa)

Of course it's valuable. But to claim that a newbie will never catch up to usefulness for actual 2 years+ is wrong. In 2 years a player could pretty easily be in a ratting setup, logi, BC doctrine, and an inty with the same skillpoint level I have. That isn't useless.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

evilweasel posted:

in a game like eve, flexibility is a tremendously valuable character trait, not least because if you want to pvp you must also have some ability to make money (requiring you to spec into a seperate role) and what pvp ships are "good" changes routinely. if we are both equally good at the FOTM because you spent your first six months training into it, we are not equal when that FOTM changes and you have to train an entirely new set of skills that i trained six years ago to have a decent ship

we are also not equal if, say, the current war ends and the ship you trained that is good in massive wars is no good in low-level skirmishing that happens in between wars (or vice versa)

no ship is as useful as massed supercaps, because the only real counter is N+1 unless someone isnt as strong and is dreadbombable

rorqs+supercaps allow high value pve to go rather smoothly, allowing the generation of more rorqs+supercaps

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

evilweasel posted:

and, most importantly, the new character will never feel equal if there is always a group of older players they can never hope to crack into

remove skill injectors, a new player in goonswarm could hope one day with hard work to be as rich as me. they could hope to be as space-important as me. many people have hit either of those bars. they could never hope to ever have as many skillpoints as my main, and that will be offputting to people who will feel like a permanent underclass even if you tell them that in practice, three months of actually flying in fleets will make them better at flying any of the ships that my main can theoretically fly "perfectly" that i could not tell you how to fit if my life depended on it

i remember your 2010-12 exasperation with alphafleet vs tracking titans

each titan cost as much in srp as a single tracking titan, but tracking titans didn't die, ever

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

CainFortea posted:

Of course it's valuable. But to claim that a newbie will never catch up to usefulness for actual 2 years+ is wrong. In 2 years a player could pretty easily be in a ratting setup, logi, BC doctrine, and an inty with the same skillpoint level I have. That isn't useless.

yes, but you will be two years ahead of them at that point. they can catch where you are now. they can never overtake you, and that's off-putting to people on a fundamental level.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

CainFortea posted:

on a baser level, imagine the suspension of disbelief required to believe someone would join EVE now and play for two years :v:

which circles back to the points people are making about what is wrong with the entire way EVE attracts [and fails] to retain new players.

ragedx
Mar 15, 2019

Vodka is just awesome water

Kimsemus posted:

this is a propaganda piece for the most part though -- and again, only facilitated by the NPE which is organized by the largest groups, which, as weasel said, pipes the diminutive supply of new players into existing orgs instead of encouraging them to start new ones, try new corps, or do other activities.

it's a meme that represents a "best case scenario" for those alliances but does virtually nothing to diversify or enhance the health of the game.

That 2 day old newbie is 100% dependent on the umbilical of his host alliance to do literally everything in the game and is unable to do meaningful things on his own anyway.

I've messed around on brand new characters just to tool around with the current CCP-designed NPE, and it's absolutely awful. The absolute minimal amount of ISK you can make on your own doesn't even come close to being able to keep up with the exploding PLEX inflation or buying anything in the game, the PVE content is boring, and the meme were you get tackle on a dread or something is just that: a terrible, impossible meme for almost all new players.

The average person who stumbles into EVE will experience boring, unrewarding PVE, where even affording a T2 ship without incredible luck or knowledge is impossible, and where PVP is incomprehensible and completely lop-sided. Their only hope is to either be self-starting enough to do tons of research to figure out what to do next, have someone already established to guide them, or get lucky and fall into a decent, organized group on their own. None of those prospects are particularly conducive to retaining any appreciable number of players.

To say that the grind/barrier to entry isn't true because a newbro can tackle a dread is equivalent to huffing your own farts, falling for your own propaganda, and isn't the experience that is common to the vast majority of new players at all.

Very well "said" and I completely agree with this.
The whole newbie tackle is like at work when someone tell you they do the job because it makes a difference.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Skill injectors are good and most people who complaining about them are cobweb laden old fucks who are terrified by the idea that a new player may one day challenge them on the only thing left in the world that gives them a sense of superiority. Their skill points.

Yeah injectors are expensive but a newbie gets their VNI ratting on and get one here and one there and eventually they catch up. Not all 5's but like a couple of different ships with T2 equipment.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Landsknecht posted:

i remember your 2010-12 exasperation with alphafleet vs tracking titans

each titan cost as much in srp as a single tracking titan, but tracking titans didn't die, ever

i assume you mean each fleet, and yeah tracking titans were loving infuriating. the whole aspect of "you don't have any supercaps unless you have the most supercaps" has always been what sucks so badly about them. back in MY DAY when massed dreads were the thing, your dreads still mattered if you didn't have the mostest, and if you had the most dreads but not anything else, well suddenly you didn't have any (live) dreads either.

part of how we eventually caught up in supercaps was, and I'm not joking at all here, trying to raise awareness of the viability of supercap ratting so that people would build lots of supercaps without the need to convince people we'd be able to use them in pvp so that we'd eventually get the critical mass we needed. trying to figure out good ways to rat in titans got lots of attention from The Finest Minds In Goonfleet (we never really solved the stront logistics problem, though had we been farther from parity we might have tried to use alliance resources to seed it everywhere) because supercarriers being as good for ratting as titans meant we were too supercarrier heavy and not titan-heavy enough.

that delve was safe enough to rat in supercarriers and titans, and that ratting in supercarriers was an actually not-idiotic idea, did more for our supercarrier numbers than any amount of rorquals

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

evilweasel posted:

yes, but you will be two years ahead of them at that point. they can catch where you are now. they can never overtake you, and that's off-putting to people on a fundamental level.

Well, I'd imagine one thing to help make that less offputting would be for people like Kimsemus to stop spreading the idea that no one will ever be as useful as a bitter vet at literally everything so don't even bother trying.

Looking at eve solely as overall mutability of a single character is rear end backwards. It's all about what roles you can fly and bring to fleets.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Katt posted:

Skill injectors are good and most people who complaining about them are cobweb laden old fucks who are terrified by the idea that a new player may one day challenge them on the only thing left in the world that gives them a sense of superiority. Their skill points.

Yeah injectors are expensive but a newbie gets their VNI ratting on and get one here and one there and eventually they catch up. Not all 5's but like a couple of different ships with T2 equipment.

yeah, fixing access to skillpoints alone is the problem

definitely not anything else

how are they going to pay for the ships? the skills? The injector, for that matter? Then circle back to what has been said before about the NPE and realize the problem.

CainFortea posted:

Well, I'd imagine one thing to help make that less offputting would be for people like Kimsemus to stop spreading the idea that no one will ever be as useful as a bitter vet at literally everything so don't even bother trying.

Looking at eve solely as overall mutability of a single character is rear end backwards. It's all about what roles you can fly and bring to fleets.

imagine being so loving stupid that you truly believe that having access to skill injectors fixes the fundamental problems with the NPE, see above -- good luck being a new guy being able to afford injectors without knowing someone or spending more RL money to play. good luck even understanding the concept of injectors and what role they play and how and what skillpoint relativity even means as a new player.

gently caress you're dumb.

Kimsemus fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jun 20, 2019

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

CainFortea posted:

a new player will instinctively understand that more skillpoints == better than, and it requires a substantial amount of explaining to understand the ways in which it is not true, explaining that a new player who is iffy about eve will not get from the game and probably will never really believe even if they understand the game principles behind where it is not true

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

evilweasel posted:

a new player will instinctively understand that more skillpoints == better than, and it requires a substantial amount of explaining to understand the ways in which it is not true, explaining that a new player who is iffy about eve will not get from the game and probably will never really believe even if they understand the game principles behind where it is not true

Yea, we have to supply it. Which is a conversation i've had a bajillion times on mumble with people. Like, I know very well about explaining the oddities of eve to newbies.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

evilweasel posted:

Nobody should expect to overtake older players. It's a stupid expectation to have.

ragedx
Mar 15, 2019

Was seeing earlier people talking about T1 tackle being a thing.
T1 tackle is utter trash when you have things like a garmur with faction points and implants.
It's way better than any newbie can afford. T1 tackle also doesn't matter when they get shot to poo poo by most ships now.
You can get lucky and get that one in a million lucky tackle on something. Its all a marketing/propaganda thing.

Like I said before
Most things seem to gravitate to long range anyways, where tackle doesn't matter or very fast ships that can't be held down by one tackle.

The whole FW thing is 1/4 way there into actually having some decent content but like most things ccp releases it is half-assed and players abuse it.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

CainFortea posted:

Yea, we have to supply it. Which is a conversation i've had a bajillion times on mumble with people. Like, I know very well about explaining the oddities of eve to newbies.

yeah but that circles back to the fundamental problem with eve: it is designed in a way to make it as off-putting as possible to someone who hears about it and gives it a try without being hand-held by an existing powerbloc. it will continue to stagnate and eventually die if the only real way to join eve and have fun is to be recruited by waffe/test/horde

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Dalael posted:

Nobody should expect to overtake older players. It's a stupid expectation to have.

expecting to overtake older players, and believing it is possible, are two different things

people will happily play a game where they know existing players know the game better than they do, or have even accumulated advantages that will help them, as long as they believe there's a path to being one of those players themselves. they probably won't - but they won't play the game if they definitely won't.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

evilweasel posted:

expecting to overtake older players, and believing it is possible, are two different things

people will happily play a game where they know existing players know the game better than they do, or have even accumulated advantages that will help them, as long as they believe there's a path to being one of those players themselves. they probably won't - but they won't play the game if they definitely won't.

it's classic carrot/stick theory:

the carrot: "one day I will be as good as this other person." the stick: "that person is currently beating the poo poo out of me."

break that illusion or expose it as impossible -- people will not play. EVE is still a voluntary activity for most.

And it's not impossible to get there: but the road is narrow, the path is long, and it is winding indeed.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

evilweasel posted:

In principle I agree with your explanation and what you say make sense. But the idea that player joins a 15 year old game and thinking they'll catch up or even overtake others, is laughable. But I do get what you're saying.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Dalael posted:

In principle I agree with your explanation and what you say make sense. But the idea that player joins a 15 year old game and thinking they'll catch up or even overtake others, is laughable. But I do get what you're saying.

fair -- now imagine telling a new player that

how many do you think will even bother installing the client then?

Now -- if the path to doing so is EXTREMELY HARD, but they see a way to do it, that changes things.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

evilweasel posted:

i assume you mean each fleet, and yeah tracking titans were loving infuriating. the whole aspect of "you don't have any supercaps unless you have the most supercaps" has always been what sucks so badly about them. back in MY DAY when massed dreads were the thing, your dreads still mattered if you didn't have the mostest, and if you had the most dreads but not anything else, well suddenly you didn't have any (live) dreads either.

part of how we eventually caught up in supercaps was, and I'm not joking at all here, trying to raise awareness of the viability of supercap ratting so that people would build lots of supercaps without the need to convince people we'd be able to use them in pvp so that we'd eventually get the critical mass we needed. trying to figure out good ways to rat in titans got lots of attention from The Finest Minds In Goonfleet (we never really solved the stront logistics problem, though had we been farther from parity we might have tried to use alliance resources to seed it everywhere) because supercarriers being as good for ratting as titans meant we were too supercarrier heavy and not titan-heavy enough.

that delve was safe enough to rat in supercarriers and titans, and that ratting in supercarriers was an actually not-idiotic idea, did more for our supercarrier numbers than any amount of rorquals

supercap ratting is a good thing, since it gets people using them

I remember when I jebaited a few people into PL; everyone was itching to use their toys and didn't have many options so they were chomping at the bit

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

evilweasel posted:

yeah but that circles back to the fundamental problem with eve: it is designed in a way to make it as off-putting as possible to someone who hears about it and gives it a try without being hand-held by an existing powerbloc. it will continue to stagnate and eventually die if the only real way to join eve and have fun is to be recruited by waffe/test/horde

Yea. I don't know what the fix is. It's skill system and the FYGM and massive collaboration is pretty unique to Eve, which I think at this point is the only thing keeping people interested. If you make it "wow but like, in space" it loses it's flavor.

Maybe it could be done in such a way by some really good talent, I dunno. But if it could I doubt CCP could do it with the people they have now.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Kimsemus posted:

fair -- now imagine telling a new player that

how many do you think will even bother installing the client then?

Now -- if the path to doing so is EXTREMELY HARD, but they see a way to do it, that changes things.

*nods*

I tried to get a few people to join. I brought up this point. Not sure if they got it or not but in the end, none of the people I brought to the game stayed because let's face it.. it sucks. What makes the game fun, is the people you play with and they just weren't interested in joining a large group.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Wow, a mostly civil discussion about how Eve Is Dying. I have been spending too much time on bad forums; I had begun to think it was impossible. So many horrible ideas, spoken by so many people with no clue as to the actual problem.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Katt posted:

Speaking as someone playing another Pearl Abyss game (Black Desert Online) The Pay 2 win is less than pre-PA Eve

Like in BDO you can buy a ton of quality of life stuff (increased bank space, increased carry weight, pets that loot the field faster) with real money and some minor combat related bonuses, mostly in the form of XP buffs. You can buy some stuff for real money and sell for in game currency but even then the game has a cap on how many of those items you can sell per week so people don't buy a ton of them to sell. Imagine if Eve had a cap on how many plex you could take out of plex storage per month?

In Eve you can start fresh and buy yourself a ton of injectors as well as expensive and powerful ships. Yeah you're not going to shift the galactic political landscape with that but straight up real money can buy you a ton of improvements on a personal level. Far stronger than anything in a PA game.

Dunno what game you're playing but you can sell like 30 costumes (that's 6b or 1/3 of a pen gear piece, most of a tet accessory, or 3 tet gear pieces) a week if you're a hyperwhale, and loot scrolls, melting costumes for crons, and artisans memory exist and are just as powerful if not more powerful than they've ever been. BDO gave up the illusion of p2w a long time ago, it's just expensive enough that only hyperwhales can do it to the extreme.

ragedx
Mar 15, 2019

evilweasel posted:

All they have to do is actually do the thing. Luckily, eve is more tilted to actual experience.
Money allows you to go learn faster and CCP knows this. This is why they are making a killing on plex and skill injectors.
EvE is a social game and without the "people" portion of it then people tend to get bored and leave quick. Comes back to the fact
there is no decent pve content at the start of the game.
There are a few games out there that embrace the whole thing "bigger isn't better" so, it is not a new concept. A big issue
that was stated before was there is very little pve or even pvp content to support the new bro in his growth from little ship to big ship.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

CainFortea posted:

Yea. I don't know what the fix is. It's skill system and the FYGM and massive collaboration is pretty unique to Eve, which I think at this point is the only thing keeping people interested. If you make it "wow but like, in space" it loses it's flavor.

Maybe it could be done in such a way by some really good talent, I dunno. But if it could I doubt CCP could do it with the people they have now.

well that circles back to "have some pve that isn't atrocious" - the game as a new player just trying to tool around in the universe and explore it a bit is horrifically unfun. it's uninteresting, incredibly repetitive, and requires no thought whatsoever, has virtually no interesting rewards, and never gets more interesting. you've got to have something to do that gets you hooked on the game and playing long enough to discover and get involved in the more complex elements.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
I honestly think that goonswarm is better positioned because someone whom has never played EVE can click on the thread here, hopefully never scroll past the first post, and get involved in the game and have a chance at staying because of the crafted new player experience being provided.

But that doesn't apply to 99% of new players whom might look at the game, and I think dissecting why the NPE doesn't work for almost all people, and why efforts at playing by even those with a path to staying are constantly frustrated by bad/outdated mechanics is the first step to understanding the problem.

I doubt very much CCP grasps this, because as has been well documented, they don't have people that play their game and most of their talent is gone.

But a good analysis of what is wrong with EVE at this stage, I guess, is still valid as an autopsy after the fact.

With my full knowledge of the game that a new player doesn't have, the most impossible hurdle for me is the economy at this point -- all PVE accessible to a new player is so diminutive in ISK return for time spent, and so much is out of reach, I don't understand how to overcome it.

If skill injectors are a partial solution -- they are totally out of reach for a new player. If PLEX drives account retention -- again, totally out of reach. You can spend RL money on top of everything to solve this, but I don't know how attractive that is for a new player.

Kimsemus fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jun 20, 2019

ragedx
Mar 15, 2019

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Wow, a mostly civil discussion about how Eve Is Dying. I have been spending too much time on bad forums; I had begun to think it was impossible. So many horrible ideas, spoken by so many people with no clue as to the actual problem.

Eve is dying cuz grrr goons in titans. duh

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

gwrtheyrn posted:

Dunno what game you're playing but you can sell like 30 costumes (that's 6b or 1/3 of a pen gear piece, most of a tet accessory, or 3 tet gear pieces) a week if you're a hyperwhale, and loot scrolls, melting costumes for crons, and artisans memory exist and are just as powerful if not more powerful than they've ever been. BDO gave up the illusion of p2w a long time ago, it's just expensive enough that only hyperwhales can do it to the extreme.

So in 3 weeks if I invest something like $3000 I can get one top quality item for one of my 13 gear slots?

That's not even close to the power that money > plex > isk gets you in Eve.

If anything the real problem with BDO is the arbitrary hindrances that you have to buy yourself out of with money. like the lack of AOE loot yo get you to buy pets, the weight limit, inventory size etc.

If PA had Eve from the start they would probably have added something like a jump clone cap that was increased by spending plex, Ship insurances would have the higher ones locked out by alpha/omega status and ship skins would have bonuses.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Katt posted:

So in 3 weeks if I invest something like $3000 I can get one top quality item for one of my 13 gear slots?

If anything the real problem with BDO is the arbitrary hindrances that you have to buy yourself out of with money. like the lack of AOE loot yo get you to buy pets, the weight limit, inventory size etc.

If PA had Eve from the start they would probably have added something like a jump clone cap that was increased by spending plex, Ship insurances would have the higher ones locked out by alpha/omega status and ship skins would have bonuses.

yeah, the real horror of free-to-play games is the deliberate design to make them engaging, but irritating, so that you want to keep playing but need to pay to have the developer stop annoying you

fortunately eve's irritations are all completely unintentional and ones that ccp can't figure out how to remove in the first place, let alone charge you to remove

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

CainFortea posted:

I played a bit back in the day, but its only been about a year since I have resubbed. I only really had a slight head start over a true newbie being able to fly a Vexor Navy Issue. In that year time I'm now able to fly: Dreadnoughts, Carriers, Freighters, Rorquals, T3 Cruisers, Black Ops Battleships, and every T1 ship with appropriate fittings. I also went from 7b net worth to 150b+ net worth in that year.

Its not that hard to catch up in EVE at all.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

evilweasel posted:

yeah, the real horror of free-to-play games is the deliberate design to make them engaging, but irritating, so that you want to keep playing but need to pay to have the developer stop annoying you

fortunately eve's irritations are all completely unintentional and ones that ccp can't figure out how to remove in the first place, let alone charge you to remove

How many plex to get me out of the session change timer while docked in a station?

ragedx
Mar 15, 2019

Katt posted:

yea, but..gently caress BDO. It's a mobile game mentality on pc.
I bet you the mobile version of eve is going to be utter poo poo now that they are in the same bed with pearl

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Katt posted:

So you buy your shiny alliance tournament ship, gate it into amamake then explode, rinse repeat? Cool.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Speaking as someone who's occasionally been tempted to install EVE because reading about it and watching the game from afar makes it look enticing, let me tell you guys why I never do. See this? This set of basic skills called the magic 14. It takes two and a half goddamn months to get through the absolute mother loving basics.

That's without going into anything more interesting. That's without getting into the waits to get into anything that might even vaguely be exciting. Want to try out bombers? Interdiction? Bigger guns? Well either I wait or I'm an active drain on whatever I participate in. Come back in six months to try this out, then find out if you'll actually have fun with it.

The only way to change that is to pay. I can't do anything to speed that up in game. Take a ship out, do some stuff that might or might not be fun? Does nothing. My character can put as much time into a ship as I want and they learn nothing while flying it. Or using anything in it. Or for killing stuff. Or mining stuff. Or just tooling around and seeing what there is and providing a target for everybody else. gently caress you newbie, pay us and wait or pay us twice and don't. Other MMOs make you wait, sure, but while you're waiting to get into the parts that are interesting you're working through story or missions or wahtever and otherwise feeling like you have an effect on the progress you make.

EVE employs actively hostile game design at the lowest level, how a player progresses, and with the proliferation of mobile games awareness of that kind of thing has penetrated even the mass consciousness. People start it, notice what's up, and then walk away.

Goons do a lot to make the game look fun, and I imagine have fun, but it's despite the game.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yeah they should just get rid of SP. It's a really simple fix to a lot of problems but also I assume will also never happen since it is a source of income for CCP.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

back in The Day the SP system was sort of attractive as a way to convince people they didn't need to grind in order to play the game, but at that point it also didn't take oodles of SP to be minimally relevant

at least they killed the loving learning skills though, those were an abomination for new players

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

evilweasel posted:

well that circles back to "have some pve that isn't atrocious" - the game as a new player just trying to tool around in the universe and explore it a bit is horrifically unfun. it's uninteresting, incredibly repetitive, and requires no thought whatsoever, has virtually no interesting rewards, and never gets more interesting. you've got to have something to do that gets you hooked on the game and playing long enough to discover and get involved in the more complex elements.

That could be a thing. Naturally since you've been saying it a while if CCP ever does unfuck PVE so it's fun and rewarding, we're going to make it even MORE rewarding for us because that's just what we do every time and people gonna whine about goons killing the game by making newbies stay and play the game more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ragedx
Mar 15, 2019

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Yeah they should just get rid of SP. It's a really simple fix to a lot of problems but also I assume will also never happen since it is a source of income for CCP.

If they really wanted to do fix the SP thing, they wouldn't half alphas train at half the speed.
If they really did want more newer players to stay, they would speed up the training for the little stuff.
Do that and you start to lose revenue fast due to having a lack of content that new players would have access to on a level
that is easy to understand and do and be rewarding enough. so they leave to play with fairies and elves and silly poo poo like farming mobile games