Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

huge atlus and sega fan, but atelier has always looked waheyhey too cute for me. I should get over it and dive in, probably.

Trails looks great though. Any weird platinum-esque action games? Locoroco-esque oddities?

also why did I just buy undertale again

IDK if it's really platinum-esque but you might want to give Gravity Rush a shot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I looked specifically for Sega games on the system and the only one I felt like spending money on was Jet Set Radio, which thankfully seems to be fully intact and faithful to the Dreamcast.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Sure, ignore Virtua Tennis 4, Project Diva, and Virtual On at your expense.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I looked specifically for Sega games on the system and the only one I felt like spending money on was Jet Set Radio, which thankfully seems to be fully intact and faithful to the Dreamcast.

It's a very faithful port, down to the actually kind of bad controls and frustrations with the cops.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

kirbysuperstar posted:

It's a very faithful port, down to the actually kind of bad controls and frustrations with the cops.

Yeah it's good.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’ve been trying to power through Demon Gaze but holy poo poo it’s aggressively anime and the combat really isn’t that great? I might give it another hour but so far it’s not good.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Saoshyant posted:

Sure, ignore Virtua Tennis 4, Project Diva, and Virtual On at your expense.

Wait, you can get Virtual On on the vita? How?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Uh by remote playing Yakuza Kiwami 2 on it?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

The_White_Crane posted:

Wait, you can get Virtual On on the vita? How?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssJk7nu3c-s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jvh1JCP22wc

It's anime as gently caress because it's the Vita (also, a crossover with some property I never heard of) but it's Virtual On!

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
Oh, that one.
Never mind then. I thought you meant the original. :(

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

MarcusSA posted:

I’ve been trying to power through Demon Gaze but holy poo poo it’s aggressively anime and the combat really isn’t that great? I might give it another hour but so far it’s not good.

A Stranger in Sword City is really just non-anime Demon Gaze if you end up liking the combat in Demon Gaze later.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I have an SD2Vita card with a 32GB microsd in it currently. I ordered a 128GB card for it.

Is the migration as simple as formatting the new SD with that zzBlank.img file and doing a cut and paste?

Please dont tell me I have to redownload everything :ohdear:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Also, someone please tell me this is playable in the Vita browser

https://kotaku.com/someone-turned-mario-into-a-battle-royale-and-its-the-1835694230

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Saoshyant posted:

It's anime as gently caress because it's the Vita (also, a crossover with some property I never heard of) but it's Virtual On!

I think it's A Certain Magical Index, a light novel and anime with the plot of 'in a world of unique people, a boy who is even more unique is surrounded by women and is a hero despite being a bumbling idiot'. At least that's the impression I get from a couple descriptions of it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I have an SD2Vita card with a 32GB microsd in it currently. I ordered a 128GB card for it.

Is the migration as simple as formatting the new SD with that zzBlank.img file and doing a cut and paste?

Nope. I've found the easiest thing to do is bring the new card into your switch and format it from that, then copy the files across. Your games will be marked as "cloud" stored when you start it back up with the new card but they should download instantaneously

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Anora posted:

A Stranger in Sword City is really just non-anime Demon Gaze if you end up liking the combat in Demon Gaze later.

One of the truest statements in this thread.

Which is why I am fan of both games.

Edit: though SiSC really turned the bullshit level up to 15 at some parts and with some mechanics.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yes that should do it.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Nope. I've found the easiest thing to do is bring the new card into your switch and format it from that, then copy the files across. Your games will be marked as "cloud" stored when you start it back up with the new card but they should download instantaneously

Wrong thread? :v:

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

I asked in the PS4 thread but might have better luck here: has anyone played the Utawarerumono games? I've been interested in them, and now that they're on sale I might pull the trigger. I've watched a couple youtube gameplay videos, but it's hard to get a sense for if the games are any good or not, to be honest.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Agrias120 posted:

I asked in the PS4 thread but might have better luck here: has anyone played the Utawarerumono games? I've been interested in them, and now that they're on sale I might pull the trigger. I've watched a couple youtube gameplay videos, but it's hard to get a sense for if the games are any good or not, to be honest.

Eh, they're okay. The first one is, first and foremost, a visual novel. Across the entirety of the game there are only 15 actual battles that take place. The second one has a lot more, and actually feels like a tactics game rather than a vn with a couple bits of gameplay. The actual combat is, if I remember right, not too bad.
The story in the first game is boring as poo poo and its obvious it's entire purpose is character development for the second game. It's also got some creepy ero moments involving upskirts or spa scenes, as well as a pair of characters who are basically sex slaves to the main character (but also do magic in combat). The second game is where things actual get interesting.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
started a FeMC playthrough of P3P for the first time and I instantly like Chie a lot more and Junpei a lot less.

edit: i meant Yukari but close enough

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jun 20, 2019

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Morpheus posted:

Eh, they're okay. The first one is, first and foremost, a visual novel. Across the entirety of the game there are only 15 actual battles that take place. The second one has a lot more, and actually feels like a tactics game rather than a vn with a couple bits of gameplay. The actual combat is, if I remember right, not too bad.
The story in the first game is boring as poo poo and its obvious it's entire purpose is character development for the second game. It's also got some creepy ero moments involving upskirts or spa scenes, as well as a pair of characters who are basically sex slaves to the main character (but also do magic in combat). The second game is where things actual get interesting.

Thanks, I appreciate the review. I think I might give it a pass in this case, I was hoping it was a better balance of VN and tactics gameplay.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

started a FeMC playthrough of P3P for the first time and I instantly like Chie a lot more and Junpei a lot less.

He pulls through once you get deep enough into his SL. It helps a lot that they didn't touch his arc at all, so he still has his own romance and isn't dateable, and past the initial awkwardness he's just a bro.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Morpheus posted:

I think it's A Certain Magical Index, a light novel and anime with the plot of 'in a world of unique people, a boy who is even more unique is surrounded by women and is a hero despite being a bumbling idiot'. At least that's the impression I get from a couple descriptions of it.

It's actually pretty decent. Basically, in a world where some people get superpowers that grades them from Level 1 to 5, a guy somehow has the power to cancel other powers. He gets graded as Level 0, and his job, more or less, through some random circumstances becomes to protect the Index, which is like a huge source of knowledge and is also a girl. While there are a bunch of girls in the series, there's no harem.

In fact, the show stops being about him and the girl shortly into the series, because they introduce other really good characters and better plots that are only tangentially related to him. One of those characters gets her own spin-off, A Certain Scientific Railgun, which is really good.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Index sucks but Railgun is cool

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Morpheus posted:

Deception is a LOT of world/character build up but the payoff in the ending and lead up to Truth is absolutely worth it.

As for the 'ero' stuff, for one thing the question is posed in the Vita thread of all places so you know. The twins just constantly mention that they're up for anything and Haku never takes them up on it, the rest of the scenes are more tame than Nep.

The VN:combat ratio is definitely skewed more in the VN side though yes.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Finally gave Papers, Please a try today. I turned away some refugees and my family is dying because I don’t know all the valid issuing cities of passports off the top of my head. I think I’m done with Nitpick: The Game, this is some frustrating no-win bullshit.

Midjack fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jun 28, 2019

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

I'm pretty sure the entire point of Papers Please is analyzing the feeling you get while playing it and deciding if that feeling is crippling enough to make you stop engaging with the enjoyable gameplay elements.

There are like 20 endings and to me stopping is absolutely a valid one.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
It's not exactly meant to be fun in a gameplay sense. Treat it more like a visual novel and just let things happen.

also, you're meant to feel like you're somehow losing the entire time, it's part of the experience.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Midjack posted:

Finally gave Papers, Please a try today. I turned away some refugees and my family is dying because I don’t know all the valid issuing cities of passports off the top of my head. I think I’m done with Nitpick: The Game, this is some frustrating no-win bullshit.

quote:

West Grestin is Best Grestin. Flee to Cobrastan at your first opportunity because Arstotzka will collapse under its own bureaucratic weight.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

CRAYON posted:

I'm pretty sure the entire point of Papers Please is analyzing the feeling you get while playing it and deciding if that feeling is crippling enough to make you stop engaging with the enjoyable gameplay elements.

There are like 20 endings and to me stopping is absolutely a valid one.

I mean if it had some enjoyable gameplay elements at all I’d be more interested but it was a solid hour of boring assholes with passports. I understand there’s some sort of plots running through, if some of the wrong passport people were interesting at all it would help but you bounce them and they just walk off. Having the border guards do something with caught forgers would be more entertaining than what I played was.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
review of papers please: not enough fascism, needs more fascism

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Midjack posted:

Having the border guards do something with caught forgers would be more entertaining than what I played was.

the option to detain persons of interest opens up on like day 5

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Papers please is also not actually as hard or punishing as it seems at first. Once you get the hang of it on your first playthrough the others to get the rest of the endings and stuff fly by no problem. I found it plenty fun.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Mithaldu posted:

review of papers please: not enough fascism, needs more fascism

That would be some kind of plot. Sex workers giving me business cards I can’t do anything with was the only thing that hinted at any kind of scheme. One guy tried to rush the fence on day 2 and got blown away for his trouble; that was the only event of interest. Somebody try to bribe me or threaten me or something, I dunno. Anything besides just walking off like it’s no big deal when I deny your asylum after I let your husband in since he had a visa.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

There are tons of schemes but you're still in the first week where they're letting you get used to how the basic game works.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

https://www.compileheart.com/
Channeling the voice of a dead console with a touch screen that may return.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Based on the graphical glitch out at the end I suspect it's something to do with Death End Request.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits
My Vita has been disassembled for about two weeks now, maybe I’ll start putting it back together tomorrow. Fingers crossed that it works again!

If it doesn’t work, my friend is getting one hell of a gift, since I have one of the button-equipped grips for the 1000 and won’t be needing it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
what is dead may never die

(the dimensions are actually pretty similar, if you ignore the extra height from the sticks and triggers)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Rinkles posted:

what is dead may never die

(the dimensions are actually pretty similar, if you ignore the extra height from the sticks and triggers)

And much like the Vita, it can't connect to a TV either.

That poo poo baffles me. One of the final Vita prototypes had an HDMI port. The goddamn Switch's whole gimmick is being able to switch between portable and console. Ugh.