Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Fooma posted:

What if he vegapunk'd the Earthquake fruit to one of his rings? Or perhaps his bracelet.

The only object-fruits we've seen so far have been Zoans right, what's to say it can't be other types and potentially interchangeable with others. Good room for power-ups from both crews.

poo poo this is a nice catch. We still don't know how objects can "eat" fruits, do we?

Give Zoro a sword that's eaten a fruit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

it would be pretty lame if blackbeard's secret was just something we've already seen done

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

If you put a logia or paramecia into an object not much would happen because the object wouldn't have a mind to control the powers, as opposed to a zoan where the object gains a mind.

However if Teach were to have eaten the jewel-jewel fruit and had the ability to control jewelry, then he could make his rings use the devil fruits they had "eaten."

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the fruit isn't in the rings

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

oddium posted:

the fruit isn't in the rings

Of course not, it's only in one ring and it turns out that One Piece is actually just an extremely complicated Tolkein fanfic

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
My theory is that Blackbeard can eat multiple fruits because he rules.

I'll never forget him downing those pies and yelling about how dreams own, what a cool guy.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Blackbeard is the traitor at UA.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro

Viridiant posted:

My theory is that Blackbeard can eat multiple fruits because he rules.

I'll never forget him downing those pies and yelling about how dreams own, what a cool guy.

Maybe baking a devil fruit into a delicious pie before consumption prevents it from being fatal to people who’ve already eaten one...

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Blackbeard is the traitor at UA.

Blackbeard was Aizen all along

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Since when were you under the impression that Blackbeard ate two devil fruits?

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

I think “Blackbeard has siblings and hides them in the darkness” makes the most sense.

Explains eating multiple fruits, explains why they tarped over him and whitebeard to steal the fruit (had to let his brother out to eat the new fruit), explains the weird art inconsistencies mentioned above.

You can see him using two fruits at once in both hands but it could easily be that he hides his own arm, lets out a sibling arm to use the other fruit, and you don’t see the fringe of darkness where the transition occurs cause it’s under his shirt.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick

JahRoo posted:

You can see him using two fruits at once in both hands but it could easily be that he hides his own arm, lets out a sibling arm to use the other fruit, and you don’t see the fringe of darkness where the transition occurs cause it’s under his shirt.

Jesus loving christ y'all are so up your own rear end with these awful theories it's almost embarrassing.

Dark Dark Fruit has some kind of special DF absorbing power because otherwise why would BB spend his whole life searching for a super lovely fruit.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
but then how did zoro and luffy call out BB for being weird back in jaya without the darkness fruit and did all 3 brothers jump out to give shanks exactly one cat scratch?

edit: ryaomon went harder then i did lmfao, theres no way BB could just sneak two brothers past all 3 admirals and have them twerk under the curtains with white beard while one has to sit in the corner cause its not his turn yet

drjuggalo fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Jun 20, 2019

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I don't care much about the devil fruit theories but the art theories are more compelling to me. Oda makes mistakes but he will always either correct them or joke about them in the SBS. If he lets them go uncommented on and unedited then it's because he wants it in there.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Ryaomon posted:

Jesus loving christ y'all are so up your own rear end with these awful theories it's almost embarrassing.

Dark Dark Fruit has some kind of special DF absorbing power because otherwise why would BB spend his whole life searching for a super lovely fruit.

because he wasnt born with a haki fruit like everyone else? he replaced it with the earthquake fruit tho...

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Ryaomon posted:

Blackbeard is really into the concept of darkness.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

shank’s scar most likely comes from blackbeard’s vega claw weapon and not his cerberus fruit. unless it’s a red herring oda you dog. he’s done it once more

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Ryaomon posted:

His crew has also been going around stealing powers so is BB’s absorption power related or do the BB pirates have two different methods for taking devil fruit powers now?

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

drjuggalo posted:

but then how did zoro and luffy call out BB for being weird back in jaya without the darkness fruit and did all 3 brothers jump out to give shanks exactly one cat scratch?

He already had the darkness fruit in Jaya. We meet Ace in Alabasta (before Jaya) and he’s already hunting BB for killing Thatch.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Has anyone considered that Blackbeard is a robot made up of smaller robots?

I.e.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

The devils that live inside the dark-dark fruit and quake-quake fruit are brothers. So when you eat both of them they get along with each other, instead of fighting in your stomach and exploding you.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
weve yet to see someone explode from eating two devil fruits so im guessing blackbeard is just a brain genius

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Blackbeard is using the dark fruit to suppress the explosion from eating the second fruit

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

drjuggalo posted:

Zoro and Luffy just said Blackbeard was part of a "them" which everyone at the time (probably rightly) assumed meant he wasn't just some wacky loner but had a crew. But then it got retroactively included as evidence that he has a conjoined baby twin or Prestige-style hidden twin brother or whatever.

Marco says something about him being weird when he first demonstrates the two fruit thing but I'd want to see a very specific translation breakdown of exactly what he said before speculating too wildly.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Sweet jesus lord Oda deliver unto us a new chapter I cant take much more nanomachine talk

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Kild posted:

because he wasnt born with a haki fruit like everyone else? he replaced it with the earthquake fruit tho...

This makes a weird kind of sense.

The Cerberus DF theory seems more likely, though.

AfroGunsou
Dec 8, 2009

:yeah:
gas

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

I agree, I bet Gangster Gastino knows how to use two devil fruits

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Electric Phantasm posted:

Blackbeard is really into the concept of darkness.

There's no musician on his crew because he has Emo Nu-Metal blasting 24/7 from a giant sound dial.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Marco is a doctor btw.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

No Wave posted:

Marco is a doctor btw.

a hermaphrodite

Blackmomdadbeard

Dear god where is that chapter

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Blackbeard shoved one of the fruits up his butt instead

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
What are roughly the bounty values before you're considered a "big deal" in certain parts of the world? For example:

East Blue - Arlong - 20,000,000 berri
Paradise/Jaya - Bellamy - 55,000,000 berri
Paradise/Shabondy - Eustass Kid - 315,000,000 berri
New World - Doflamingo - 340,000,000 (frozen) berri
New World - Charlotte Katakuri - 1,057,000,000 berri

It seems like a high bounty in one of the Four Blues is around the tens of millions, in Paradise it ranges from from 50 million to 300 million the closer you get to the end of Paradise, then New World from 350 million to 500 million but then jumps from 500 million to a billion or more once you start joining or successfully overcome one of the Yonkou.

It's kind of weird though that Ace capped off of at 550 million before his death despite being the second commander of the Whitebeard Pirates only behind Marco under the flag of the Strongest Man in the World.

I'm going to guess the Yonkou themselves will weigh in at something ridiculous like hundreds of billions of berries with Dragon at a flat 1 trillion berries as the most wanted man in the world for being a direct active and real threat to the World Government as the head of the Revolutionary Army destabilizing dozens if not hundreds of countries.

E:

No Wave posted:

Marco is a doctor btw.

You know, it seemed a little weird at the time that Marco would bring it up out of context like that, but now that we know he's a doctor it makes sense that he would have inspected Blackbeard's anatomy at some point.

Oda does it again.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jun 20, 2019

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

What are roughly the bounty values before you're considered a "big deal" in certain parts of the world? For example:

East Blue - Arlong - 20,000,000 berri
Paradise/Jaya - Bellamy - 55,000,000 berri
Paradise/Shabondy - Eustass Kid - 315,000,000 berri
New World - Doflamingo - 340,000,000 (frozen) berri
New World - Charlotte Katakuri - 1,057,000,000 berri

It seems like a high bounty in one of the Four Blues is around the tens of millions, in Paradise it ranges from from 50 million to 300 million the closer you get to the end of Paradise, then New World from 350 million to 500 million but then jumps from 500 million to a billion or more once you start joining or successfully overcome one of the Yonkou.

It's kind of weird though that Ace capped off of at 550 million before his death despite being the second commander of the Whitebeard Pirates only behind Marco under the flag of the Strongest Man in the World.

I'm going to guess the Yonkou themselves will weigh in at something ridiculous like hundreds of billions of berries with Dragon at a flat 1 trillion berries as the most wanted man in the world for being a direct active and real threat to the World Government as the head of the Revolutionary Army destabilizing dozens if not hundreds of countries.

E:

You know, it seemed a little weird at the time that Marco would bring it up out of context like that, but now that we know he's a doctor it makes sense that he would have inspected Blackbeard's anatomy at some point.

Oda does it again.

I mean Blackbeard’s is only a bit over 2 billion

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do
Ace at 550k makes sense to me as he's someone who probably didn't cause a lot of controversial mayhem or destruction. The Charlotte kids have probably all done some pretty messed up stuff in their careers but you could sell me on the Whitebeard captains being comparatively sedate.

Well, that combined with a dose of bounty creep as the story stretched on

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Also remember that all the big Charlotte children are like 40+ and have had years to build their rap sheet while 550 mil ace was like 19 when he died.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
Just thought up another recurring One Piece theme that supports my BB has two hearts theory - we've seen how Oda prefers to turn defeated bad guys into allies rather than straight killing them. Defeating BB's darker heart/nature would leave behind the chill dude who cares about dreams and enjoyed pirating around on a literal wooden raft and he could then join forces with Luffy against Imu or whatever threat comes after BB.

Could be that the previous holder of the Ope-Ope fruit grafted the heart of a D clan into BB which would also explain how he's not a 'real' D yet has some characteristics (mega plot twist would be that it's Roger's heart).

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

JahRoo posted:

Also remember that all the big Charlotte children are like 40+ and have had years to build their rap sheet while 550 mil ace was like 19 when he died.

It's easy to forget how many players are pretty old. For some of big mom's crew alone
Big Mom is 68
Peros is 50
Katakuri, Oven & Daifuku are 48
Cracker is 45
Brulee is 43
Smoothie is probably the youngest most notable one that isnt a teenager, 35

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Super Rad posted:

Just thought up another recurring One Piece theme that supports my BB has two hearts theory - we've seen how Oda prefers to turn defeated bad guys into allies rather than straight killing them. Defeating BB's darker heart/nature would leave behind the chill dude who cares about dreams and enjoyed pirating around on a literal wooden raft and he could then join forces with Luffy against Imu or whatever threat comes after BB.

Could be that the previous holder of the Ope-Ope fruit grafted the heart of a D clan into BB which would also explain how he's not a 'real' D yet has some characteristics (mega plot twist would be that it's Roger's heart).

We've seen no indication this is the case, it would be pretty weak writing without a lot of foreshadowing to lay the ground

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeopardizer
Nov 10, 2016
So, to derail the talk of nanomachine/triplets/redundant hearts, let's talk about the CREW of Blackbeard and their fruit hunting. Let's also assume for a second that it doesn't have anything to do with BB's first fruit.

Why does Bb's crew seem to be the first one to engage in it? Because it's hard, assuming that every fruit is different not just in effect but what specific fruit it can respawn as you need :
-To identify the fruit by its effect
-To know what the devil fruit looks like
-To know what actual fruit it looks like
-To know where to find such fruit
-In a world where knowledge and research doesn't travel far, cut in two by the grand line, each side with 2 ocean separated by the grand line and the Calm Belt
(Also pre-historic islands, unexplored islands, islands hidden in fog, covered in lightning, who move, can't be found by logpose...)

Even if like Blackbeard you have learned the Devil Fruit Encyclopedia by heart, you aren't even, half done.

You would need some sort of super-duper botanist guy, who traveled all over the world, crossed the grand line several times to take every path and even visited the sky islands (given that Enel got his fruit in Birka).

So you need someone like Mont Blanc Noland, who did all these things. Whose descendant lives Jaya. Where we saw Blackbeard for the first time.

(TL;DR: The BB Pirates can hunt fruits because BB is a fruit nerd, heard about Noland's adventures and connected the dots.)

Jeopardizer fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jun 20, 2019