Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

The trick to winning diplo is all the ways to get points that aren't voting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

TjyvTompa posted:

When going for a diplomatic victory you should only ever spend votes on getting points, never anything else. This way you will always have much more votes than the AI, I'm talking like 10x the amount of votes.

I basically did. I have almost 20 DP, it's just that everyone voted against me so the final vote was 20 to 24. I guess I can just so it out and wait for the next vote and vote for me to get 2 DP, but I don't want to wait a other twenty turns.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

punk rebel ecks posted:

I decided to bite and got the new expansions. The game turns from being worse than Civ V, to better in almost every imaginable way. The A.I. is practically fixed. :O

Turns out this only works with the latest expansion. Thank for all the replies though.

Can the AI capture walled cities yet

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Gort posted:

I've seen them take CS on higher difficulties and they automatically get walls now

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

Marmaduke! posted:

I've only just bought GS and I have no idea what I'm meant to be doing with Diplomatic Favour or how to win with it but I'm sure I'll manage some self ownage while finding out. The AI seems to love voting in a 50% discount on buying military units with faith, which I guess only really impacts the first AI to get a religion (since they always pick Warrior Monks first).

There's a building you can construct in the government plaza district that let's you buy ANY land unit with faith.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Ah yes, you can probably tell I never build that, thanks. But maybe this will change if it turns out the AI does indeed always vote it in...

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

The Glumslinger posted:

I've seen them take CS on higher difficulties and they automatically get walls now

Does it take less than 75 turns of constant warfare on the highest level of difficulty, technology and game speed

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Okay, I went to a previous save from twenty turns ago and built the Statue of Liberty and won the Diplomatic Victory.

Crisis averted. :cool:

BigStickOfButter
Nov 28, 2017
PYDT Game name "Surely we can agree to be civil about this" has couple slots open. pw: teacup. Culture & Diplomatic victories only!

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

BigStickOfButter posted:

PYDT Game name "Surely we can agree to be civil about this" has couple slots open. pw: teacup. Culture & Diplomatic victories only!
Does this mean city-capturing is off-limits, or simply that the domination victory condition is switched off?

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Super Jay Mann posted:

Having a free extra city at absolutely no extra investment is far, far more valuable than almost anything you can do with the other Pantheons, especially since the only other Pantheons that I would consider remotely competitive, Harvest and Earth Goddess, are being removed and nerfed respectively.

What about divine spark and god of the forge? Those also being neutered? Cause the guy with gof will beat up the nerd with an extra settler most of the time. Also a lot of players are careless with settlers so early in the game - losing your free settler to a random scout isn’t so valuable!

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I always do fertility rites. I love growing big cities.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Same, lets you pump out those early settlers quicker. I tend to want pantheons that have passive boosts that have nothing to do with faith because I often don't even bother going for a religion.

highmodulus
Feb 16, 2011

Let's go crazy Broadway style!

Gort posted:

They seem to happily stomp all over city-states, even late game.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

highmodulus posted:

They seem to happily stomp all over city-states, even late game.

Does it take less than 75 turns of constant warfare on the highest level of difficulty, technology and game speed

FreeMars
Mar 22, 2011
Sounds like the patch 8s going live tomorrow. I'm excited to check out some of the new tweaks and map types.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Update is out and here are the patch notes :

https://forums.civfanatics.com/resources/patch-notes-gathering-storm-june-2019-update.27655/

Paging mr. Gort

John F Bennett fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jun 18, 2019

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Oh hey Firaxis is actually making me eat my words, some of those Pantheon buffs are pretty dang powerful and could actually be competitive with Religious Settlements in the right situation. River Goddess in particular sounds amazing now (as if Russia needed yet another buff :v: )

You still absolutely want to take the free settler more often than not though.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

The siege/wall changes are interesting.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

I don't have the latest expansion so my tests likely won't mean anything

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

These new map types are very nice.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

I'm loving Seven Seas, and the nerf to battering rams makes early war against developed targets a lot more interesting. Some of the new patheons are cool too (free settler is gonna be awfully hard to pass up though).

The diplomacy changes are interesting too. I've got AI's halfway there in the industrial era, will be interesting to see if it's actually a threat for them to win that way.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The one that heals you for clearing a barbarian outpost sounds pretty great too. Barbs are a problem throughout the whole game unless you have vision everywhere so that'll always be relevant.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Canada still feels extremely underwhelming despite the buffs to Tundra. I'm loving most of the other changes though, more production leads to faster more exciting games and finally being able to build lumbermills on jungle tiles is amazing. It is very hard to pass up the free settler but +1 production on fishing boats is just so loving good if you get a couple of coastal cities, I just can't say no.

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix
I think the Military Engineer change is quite exciting, and could change the way settling is looked at especially late game. Make your Settler one place, and make a Military Engineer in another, send them together, and now you can actually start your new city with an Aqueduct and rush it out. I know I've had cities I settled later on for some oil or whatever, the city tends to never get that big, but with being able to give them a nice housing bonus will help out a lot. Also, taking the golden age Sic Hunt Draconis thing where a new city starts with extra population, this'll solve the issue I've had where the city starts losing population almost immediately due to lack of housing because you had to settle in a weird spot.

Plus those new cities often need Flood Barriers which take so long to make that the floods will start before you can finish them, then take even longer because the flood destroyed some of your production.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
So, for someone who stopped at vanilla, has the time finally come to get some civ 6 expansions? Are both of the big ones necessary or can I skip the climate changey one...?

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I'd just get all of them.

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

Tree Bucket posted:

So, for someone who stopped at vanilla, has the time finally come to get some civ 6 expansions? Are both of the big ones necessary or can I skip the climate changey one...?
Gathering Storm is the best one, don't skip it.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

John F Bennett posted:

This is sounding reasonable- this thread seems really positive about the current iteration of Civ.
(Do the different stages of the game feel different, rather than one steady slope of Numbers Going Up? I really liked in 5 how everything got shaken up in Industrial, or how in Civ 4 the world really opened up around the Renaissance.)

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Tree Bucket posted:

Did you genuinely enjoy it when you played before? The expansions really don't change it the way 4/5 did with theirs so if you didn't like it before they won't change your opinion tbh.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Tree Bucket posted:

This is sounding reasonable- this thread seems really positive about the current iteration of Civ.
(Do the different stages of the game feel different, rather than one steady slope of Numbers Going Up? I really liked in 5 how everything got shaken up in Industrial, or how in Civ 4 the world really opened up around the Renaissance.)

It's Numbers Going Up, but not a steady slope--they have continued the series trend of adding things to the later game stages. There is still the appearance of strategic resources like coal and oil late-game, and you may not have them within your borders. They work differently than they used to, though: strategic resources accumulate up to a point, rather than "Do you have at least one oil currently (y/N)?" This makes it easier in some ways to get just enough to upgrade some units. The world still opens with your ability to cross ocean tiles. Late-game railroad-building and rock band tours give you something to do aside from production queues when you're not at war. Disasters are continual, but get worse with global warming late-game.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Tree Bucket posted:

Gathering Storm retroactively includes all the changes from Rise and Fall. All buying them both gets you is the civilizations from the first expansion.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Gathering storm is good and makes the game good. I wanted to love it at launch but couldn't, and now I do. It's not perfect but I won't be going back to BNW any time soon. I'd say get it, it's $23 on GMG right now.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

John F Bennett posted:

This. All Civ games are at their best when you have *all the content* and Gathering Storm in particular has some new and novel features that I quite enjoy. The world itself is a more organic place and I think that's fun. Last game to do that I think was SMAC.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I held off on getting Gathering Storm for quite a while, thinking that I'd hate the disasters but I find it all really good. It's worth it for the new civilisations by itself, plus there's a few gaps filled (like skirmishers and more early cavalry, plus railroads) and expansion of some concepts quite nicely... so yeah, just get the whole package.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Nice thing about the disasters in Gathering Storm is they are not just disasters. They tend to fertilize their surroundings and boost food and other yields. Naturally Egypt is immune to the negative effects of flooding. I like that.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Some of the disasters are a kind of tax on larger standing armies and navies. If you maintain a carpet of units, they're more likely to be damaged.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Once you get up to modern agriculture and polluting industrial zones and such floods should reduce yields just like they really do now

FreeMars
Mar 22, 2011
I think as climate change ramps up, the benefits of storms and flooding get less and less and even start removing yields.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Bremen posted:

Gathering Storm retroactively includes all the changes from Rise and Fall. All buying them both gets you is the civilizations from the first expansion.

Wait is this true? I'm looking for confirmation somewhere and not seeing it. I'm assuming R&F also has unique scenarios only available there?