Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/mashed/status/1141832209759911938?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Inzombiac posted:

How is Rime? It's on sale and the only thing I heard was that it was choppy as hell on release.

The game is nice enough but the ending is so bad it ruined the whole thing for me

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Wow, of all things, Necrodancer does not have a boss rush mode.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
This is some Reddit-rear end posting

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

What's the deal with these knockoff Pro controllers? I saw a guy use one in a tangentially-related Youtube video and he stated that it was basically an unbranded Pro controller for like half price. I bought one (although I randomly got one of the colored ones) and already had a real Pro controller, and that assessment more or less seems to be the case. It looks and feels like an actual Pro controller, but without any Nintendo branding. It seems like they used the molding for the real thing, with the only other perceptible difference being the d-pad and maybe the buttons. Otherwise it appears identical to the real thing, although the battery is only rated for 20 hours. Anyone know what the story is behind these?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Is the dpad better?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Atomizer posted:

What's the deal with these knockoff Pro controllers? I saw a guy use one in a tangentially-related Youtube video and he stated that it was basically an unbranded Pro controller for like half price. I bought one (although I randomly got one of the colored ones) and already had a real Pro controller, and that assessment more or less seems to be the case. It looks and feels like an actual Pro controller, but without any Nintendo branding. It seems like they used the molding for the real thing, with the only other perceptible difference being the d-pad and maybe the buttons. Otherwise it appears identical to the real thing, although the battery is only rated for 20 hours. Anyone know what the story is behind these?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbeDfN8Wpks

This guy had a pretty good breakdown of the differences. I'd post just the relevant part but I forgot, but I remembered seeing this.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Do factory refurbs of the Final Fantasy X/X-2 remaster include a download code for X-2? I jumped on the buy 2 get 1 free deal on ebay, and didn't think of that before checking out. I get that refurbs don't usually contain stuff like preorder bonus codes and the like...but if it's missing half of the stated games on the technicality of "Well its a code, not on the cartridge" I'm gonna be pissed.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Atomizer posted:

Here you go:

https://www.lootpots.com/articles/fake-switch-pro-controller-comparison-internals-30072018/

-No NFC
-Bad rumble
-Less battery
-Can't wake the console
-Same bad d-pad as original revision Pro controllers
-Automatically sleeps after no input before the Switch sleeps (probably to save on battery)

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jun 21, 2019

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Cojawfee posted:

Is the dpad better?

asking the real questions

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

Is the dpad better?

I'm going to watch that video in a moment, but right now I can tell you:
- The 4 "accessory" buttons (e.g. home, +) are more recessed and less clicky on the Pro, but I actually like them better on the knockoff
- The Pro's main buttons are similarly shallower and less noisy; the differences are more pronounced, and I might like the knockoff's better, the latter may actually be functionally worse because they're a little slower to utilize (i.e. more effort to depress)
- The Pro's joysticks have less tension but a less affirmative button actuation; sometimes they feel like they're doing a double-click thing but they work fine on both controllers
- The knockoff's d-pad is a little looser; it might be a little bigger or shallower or I might be imagining it. I think I prefer the Pro's pad but I generally use the D-pad for menus and such and not so much for gaming.
- The knockoff's shoulder buttons, especially the Z ones, are a little mushier. Definitely a little better on the Pro.
- Both have USB-C and are the same size/shape, but the Pro is a little heavier and feels more dense.

I'll add that I only have one example of each, and the knockoff was obtained new via eBay for ~$30 and the Pro was lightly used from Amazon for ~$50. I wouldn't take this comparison as definitive for all examples of each controller. Both are very recent acquisitions and I've used neither of them much, but they both feel just fine to use, definitely better than using Joy-cons. I'd have a hard time telling them apart if I picked them up blindly and hadn't just done the aforementioned comparison. I'm quite satisfied with each purchase, and I think a totally reasonable strategy might be to get the "official" controller for yourself and 2-4 more for secondary controllers when you're doing multiplayer gaming.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

This guy had a pretty good breakdown of the differences. I'd post just the relevant part but I forgot, but I remembered seeing this.

Guess I won't buy this then.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I'm looking at 12 hours of flights beginning next Saturday. I have plenty of things to do in Shovel Knight and Dead Cells to keep me entertained, but that isn't stopping me from feeling the need to buy Cadence and Bloodstained too... 🤨

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

drat pro controllers are still $70 new. They are nice, but eh.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
you guys see they got a Pokemon now that's a set of keys

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

drat pro controllers are still $70 new. They are nice, but eh.

They’re on sale somewhere for $50 every couple of weeks (US).

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Beastie posted:

They’re on sale somewhere for $50 every couple of weeks (US).

They're on sale for $50 right now from Best Buy which stacks with Google Express discounts down to $40

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

John Romero posted:

you guys see they got a Pokemon now that's a set of keys

Yeah and it owns.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Is just the ring actually

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I caught one in the wild and it had keys already on it

Whose keys are these

Ada
Apr 22, 2014

Practice proper gun's safety.
Just start trying them out around the neighborhood and you're sure to get a few hits.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Ok, so mine definitely appears to be a more polished example than the one he got. I played a little Bayonetta to make sure it worked and didn't notice anything weird about the joysticks or buttons. I didn't test vibration (or didn't notice!) It paired wirelessly like every other controller I've tried (the sync button on top worked as expected, not like with the issues described in the article below.)

The United States posted:

Here you go:

https://www.lootpots.com/articles/fake-switch-pro-controller-comparison-internals-30072018/

-No NFC
-Bad rumble
-Less battery
-Can't wake the console
-Same bad d-pad as original revision Pro controllers
-Automatically sleeps after no input before the Switch sleeps (probably to save on battery)

So this is interesting, I definitely got a more polished example than the one described in that article. It really is close to the actual Pro. I haven't experimented with the NFC/rumble/wake/sleep parameters though.

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

asking the real questions

I didn't realize the Pro controller had such a bad D-pad. Generally I've found newer, 3D games to be better to control via joystick and older, retro ones (e.g. Metroidvanias, 2D platformers, etc.) and even navigating menus feel more natural via D-pad. I also wasn't aware that there were any revisions of the Pro controller; is there a way to determine which one I have?

Cojawfee posted:

Guess I won't buy this then.

As above, the one I got was definitely better than the article described, but that article is almost a year old. Wulff's video is very recent, however, which is the real reason you might not want to try buying one: you have no idea what you're going to get! I could provide the exact seller I used if you felt that would give you a better chance of getting one closer to what I got, although I'm a tiny bit annoyed because I thought I was going to get the plain grey one (identical to the real Pro) instead of one that looks like this. Nevertheless, being able to tell them apart quickly isn't a bad thing and I otherwise don't mind.

I also have Hori controllers, one of the wired ones with the removable D-pad and a couple of the wireless versions, and I like those as well. They're definitely different from the Pro, but obviously so, and I have larger hands (well, only about 100x200 mm, but probably considerably larger than of the younger demographic the Switch is aimed at) so that's why the Horis feel good and I put those Skull & Co joystick extenders on my Pro (and since the package came with 3 pairs so I used one of the extras to apply to the knockoff.)

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

wtf I thought The Messenger was supposed to be cooler after the twist. Instead it starts sucking rear end and becomes a chore to play. Bad!

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Imagine a Metroidvania but the points of interest on your map are 100 miles away.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Plus weirdly long load times

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Fallom posted:

wtf I thought The Messenger was supposed to be cooler after the twist

I don't know who told you that but they are not your friend

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

RandomFerret posted:

I don't know who told you that but they are not your friend

When it came out the Net was full of poo poo like this:

quote:

I Had No Idea It Was Possible to Hate the Mid-Game Twist in 'The Messenger'
It never occurred to me that some people would even have wanted the game to stay the way it was going. by Patrick Klepek

But yeah you're right

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The concept of the "twist" is neat but it would have been better implemented if that was the whole game and not hidden behind some sort of reveal like they're trying to be the SOTN upside-down castle or something.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It's very clearly displayed in the marketing of the game. Just let that be the game.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
the 1st part of the messenger is the superior part

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

American McGay posted:

Imagine a Metroidvania but the points of interest on your map are 100 miles away.

No thanks, I’ve had my fill of hollow knight

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I want to like hollow knight but I really dislike metroidvanias

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Just realized that Mario Maker 2 is out in only a week.:unsmith:

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

SeANMcBAY posted:

Just realized that Mario Maker 2 is out in only a week.:unsmith:

Going to be my first Mario maker since I skipped the previous release (The 3ds version was a dumpster fire). Super amped to try my hand at frustrating people by accident making some rad levels. Ended up buying a stylus and nubs to get ready.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The 3DS version did suck but it did have a lot of good premade levels from Nintendo. I hope someone remakes them into 2. Maybe I’ll do that as practice.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

RandomFerret posted:

I caught one in the wild and it had keys already on it

Whose keys are these

It steals them. That's why it's a tricksy fairy type

and a steel type :haw:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
is someone talking poo poo about my friend klefki again

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Can someone tell me the twist in the messenger? I'm never going to play it but I keep hearing about it .

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Can someone tell me the twist in the messenger? I'm never going to play it but I keep hearing about it .

It turns into a lovely Metroidvania halfway through instead of a linear Ninja Gaiden rip off. I did not enjoy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The gfx turn 16 bit and then you gotta backtrack everywhere