Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

i cannot stop laughing and crying

https://twitter.com/Gizmodo/status/1136585123900604416

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Can we drag these fuckers into the street yet.

KingNastidon
Jun 25, 2004

BlueBlazer posted:

Can we drag these fuckers into the street yet.

For politely asking journalists to not publish fake news? smdh

In other biopharma news, WaPo published this story yesterday on Pfizer/Alzheimer's with a push alert. Irresponsible stuff meant to fool the ignorant about what insurance claims data is and what the findings say.

https://twitter.com/Dereklowe/status/1136620890572185601?s=19

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

the article is dated a month ago but my mom brought this up to me today because they are starting to get it in at her place of work and it's so loving cruel I couldn't help but laugh.

quote:

AveXis Announces Innovative Zolgensma® Gene Therapy Access Programs for US Payers and Families

Basel, May 24, 2019 - AveXis, a Novartis company, today announced innovative access programs for Zolgensma® (onasemnogene abeparvovec-xioi) for the treatment of pediatric patients less than 2 years of age with spinal muscular atrophy (SMA) with bi-allelic mutations in the survival motor neuron 1 (SMN1) gene. AveXis is working closely with payers to offer pay-over-time options up to 5 years and outcomes-based agreements up to 5 years, as well as providing a patient program to support affordability and access.

"Zolgensma is a historic advance for the treatment of SMA and a landmark one-time gene therapy. Our goal is to ensure broad patient access to this transformational medicine and to share value with the healthcare system," said Vas Narasimhan, CEO of Novartis. "We have used value based pricing frameworks to price Zolgensma at around 50% less than multiple established benchmarks including the 10-year current cost of chronic SMA therapy. In addition, the price of Zolgensma is expected to be within the range of traditional cost-effectiveness thresholds used by ICER when updated for its full labeled indications. We believe by taking this responsible approach, we will help patients benefit from this transformative medical innovation and generate significant cost savings for the system over time."

"Innovative science like Zolgensma required us to be equally innovative in offering customized access solutions to meet the many needs of payers and patients," said Dave Lennon, president of AveXis. "We are partnering to accelerate coverage decisions with both government and commercial payers. We are offering a pay-over-time model for this one-time treatment to accommodate the current structure of the US healthcare system and we have also established outcomes-based agreements with payers because we believe in the long-term value of Zolgensma and are willing to stand behind the therapy."

The current 10-year cost of chronic therapy, which is given over the patient's lifetime, can often exceed USD 4 million in just the first 10 years of a young child's life.[1] In addition, that therapy stops working if treatment is stopped.[2] Zolgensma is expected to save costs in the healthcare system compared to chronic treatment for the treatment and care of SMA.[3] The wholesale acquisition cost of Zolgensma of USD 2.125 million is:

50% of the 10-year cost of current chronic SMA treatment (estimated at USD 4.1 million)[1]
50% below 10-year treatment costs for genetic pediatric ultra-rare diseases (estimated at USD 4.4 million to USD 5.7 million)[4]*
50% below the ICER ultra-rare disease cost-effectiveness threshold; Zolgensma pricing places it at approximately USD 250,000 per quality-adjusted life-year (QALY)[5]
"We are at the forefront of an exciting time in healthcare when we'll be able to see major advancements in medical care with potentially curative gene therapies. While there are many questions that we as a healthcare system need to consider, what does not change is our work to ensure that these life-saving medications are affordable and available to the patients that need them," said Steve Miller, M.D., chief clinical officer, Cigna Corporation. "We look forward to continuing the work we have started with AveXis to find unique solutions like installment payments and outcomes-based agreements for these life changing gene therapies."

AveXis has partnered with Accredo® to offer a pay-over-time option of up to 5 years to help ease possible short-term budget constraints, especially for states, small payers and self-insured employers. In addition, CuraScript SD® has been selected as the sole specialty distributor given its rare disease experience, including gene and cell therapies.

Reflecting the pioneering nature of these programs, more than 15 payers are in advanced discussions of terms with AveXis, with some having already agreed, in principle, to terms.

"We are thrilled to be able to offer our members access to this groundbreaking gene therapy, particularly in light of AveXis agreeing to place a portion of the cost at risk, contingent upon demonstrating continued performance over a five-year period," said Michael Sherman, M.D., M.B.A., chief medical officer of Harvard Pilgrim Health Care. "The clinical benefits of gene therapy for infants with life-threatening genetic diseases, such as SMA, are undeniable, and our innovative, outcomes-based agreement helps ensure that we balance access and affordability for our members. While we anticipate that Harvard Pilgrim would see a small number of newly-diagnosed patients with the very rare SMA Type 1 each year, we believe it is our responsibility to provide access to this lifesaving treatment."

honestly this is just a really fancy way of holding a gun to the head of 1000 babies a year in the US and saying "you can either pay someone else $4 million dollars, or your child can die, or we can be heroes and save your child for the low low price of $2 million." in this country, you can either have a healthy child or not be in debt for the rest of your life. All of the people who profit off of this drug should be in prison for a very long time.

I'm gene positive for a disease that currently has some very promising gene therapy treatments in the drug pipeline. My dad is fully in the worst stages of this disease, and is now getting to the point where we're considering wheelchairs, home healthcare workers and feeding tubes, and 10 years ago when I got tested I was eased by the fact that these treatments would likely be available by the time I needed them, so I never worried about it. Fast forward to the present day, I'm not optimistic at all. And it's not because I don't think the treatments will get there but because the drugs are going to be literally millions of dollars and likely gently caress with my finances/insurance for the rest of my life (not that I'm likely to pay the whole price but there's no way whatever insurance i end up with at that point isn't gonna try to launch me out of a cannon rather than paying $3 million or more).

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Sounds like s great reason to file bankruptcy to me, loving morons.

KingNastidon
Jun 25, 2004

DC Murderverse posted:

honestly this is just a really fancy way of holding a gun to the head of 1000 babies a year in the US and saying "you can either pay someone else $4 million dollars, or your child can die, or we can be heroes and save your child for the low low price of $2 million." in this country, you can either have a healthy child or not be in debt for the rest of your life. All of the people who profit off of this drug should be in prison for a very long time.

Ignoring who pays for it or out of pocket cost exposure, how much should the company (and those that invested in the clinical development) be reimbursed for the therapy and why that amount?

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Imagine if you had to pay 2 million dollars for the polio vaccine just because it would keep you from ever contracting the disease and think of the savings!

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

KingNastidon posted:

Ignoring who pays for it or out of pocket cost exposure, how much should the company (and those that invested in the clinical development) be reimbursed for the therapy and why that amount?

their assets should be seized and they’ll receive nothing in exchange

KingNastidon
Jun 25, 2004

skull mask mcgee posted:

their assets should be seized and they’ll receive nothing in exchange

do you believe this would have any impact on private sector biopharmaceutical investment and innovation moving forward?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

KingNastidon posted:

do you believe this would have any impact on private sector biopharmaceutical investment and innovation moving forward?

Yes, they would be incentivized to price medications or treatments at levels that normal people can afford without going bankrupt or causing them to be financially ruined forever.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

KingNastidon posted:

:thermidor:

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

KingNastidon posted:

imagine the number of man-hours freed up by you, personally, no longer having to tell yourself "i am a good person, despite my paycheck being based on a program of amplifying human suffering."

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

KingNastidon posted:

investors are really dumb so probably not, they didn't learn anything from pets.com either

it would be cool if it did though because then we can just fund public research and hire all the researchers who work for a decent professional salary instead of for the hope they'll get to wring millions and billions out of suffering desperate people

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
This is a rehash of an old argument in this thread from half a year ago about orphan drugs. I'm a fan of nationalizing many aspects of the US healthcare system, but I don't get how nationalizing drug development (not research, drug development) is supposed to help this problem.

I suspect that nationalizing drug development would just cause orphan diseases to be even more ignored. I don't think there is a lot of political will to divert the attention of the medical community from working on more common illnesses like cancer, diabetes, and Alzheimer's and instead having them focusing on the gazillions of orphan diseases, and there are a lot of other practical problems with doing that as well.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jun 20, 2019

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

silence_kit posted:

This is a rehash of an old argument in this thread from half a year ago about orphan drugs. I'm a fan of nationalizing many aspects of the US healthcare system, but I don't get how nationalizing drug development (not research, drug development) is supposed to help this problem.

I suspect that nationalizing drug development would just cause orphan diseases to be even more ignored. I don't think there is a lot of political will to divert the attention of the medical community from working on more common illnesses like cancer, diabetes, and Alzheimer's and instead having them focusing on the gazillions of orphan diseases, and there are a lot of other practical problems with doing that as well.

I've seen Sanders and other people trying to solve this problem talking about a financial reward system from a consortium of international governments for entities that create cures/treatments/other useful medications, which isn't perfect, but does creates a clear incentive for that research to continue and also for governments to be able to distribute said medications to people who need it without any profit incentive, rather than letting a coalition of assholes charge parents of babies $2 million+ for them

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

KingNastidon posted:

any scientists responsible for the research should be paid a fair salary and purchasing and upkeep of any facilities and materials necessary for the process should be paid for but also any executives from the company should be launched out of a cannon towards the sun

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

The government would definitely have a more fair and just funding and approvals process than the way industry chooses what to research which is "are the people with the disease rich enough to give us 10,000,000% returns"

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

silence_kit posted:

divert the attention of the medical community from working on more common illnesses like cancer, diabetes, and Alzheimer's and instead having them focusing on the gazillions of orphan diseases

this comment makes no sense and corresponds to nothing about how research actually works

this is something someone who plays Civilization and thinks research works by you pick something you want then you collect a predetermined amount of lightbulbs to get the technology would say

oh right this is a comedy forum for computer nerds, carry on

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

VitalSigns posted:

this comment makes no sense and corresponds to nothing about how research actually works

this is something someone who plays Civilization and thinks research works by you pick something you want then you collect a predetermined amount of lightbulbs to get the technology would say

I'm not talking about basic research. The government already does basic research. I'm talking about drug development. Drug development is expensive, and the failure rate is high (not as high as in basic research obviously but the cost to evaluate each idea is much higher). Here's a post I made half a year ago about this:

silence_kit posted:

85% of drugs do not make it past FDA clinical trials. The product development isn't a layup. It is more like a heavily contested 3 point shot. Again, going back to my original post, I think you are under-rating the difficulty, investment, and effort involved in the product development.

My interpretation of this failure rate is that the theory of medicine is not as great as we'd like it to be. When a researcher says that they have found the drug that does X, you really need to take the claim with a grain of salt, because the researcher often doesn't understand the subject at a deep enough, fundamental level to make good predictions. This is not due to some deficiency of the researcher--this is because no one has that level of understanding!

Also, when the researcher makes the claim that they have found the drug that does X, often there are practical problems the researcher has externalized and ignored, which are needed to be solved to make a real product and a real, practical contribution to society.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

DC Murderverse posted:

I've seen Sanders and other people trying to solve this problem talking about a financial reward system from a consortium of international governments for entities that create cures/treatments/other useful medications, which isn't perfect, but does creates a clear incentive for that research to continue and also for governments to be able to distribute said medications to people who need it without any profit incentive, rather than letting a coalition of assholes charge parents of babies $2 million+ for them

VitalSigns posted:

The government would definitely have a more fair and just funding and approvals process than the way industry chooses what to research which is "are the people with the disease rich enough to give us 10,000,000% returns"

I don't understand why the government(s) would spend the huge amounts of money to develop a bunch of drugs for the gazillions of uncommon and rare diseases when it could be spending that government money on developing drugs for common diseases which would improve the lives of more people. Where is the political will for option A over option B?

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jun 21, 2019

KingNastidon
Jun 25, 2004

silence_kit posted:

I don't understand why the government(s) would spend the huge amounts of money to develop a bunch of drugs for the gazillions of uncommon and rare diseases when it could be spending that government money on developing drugs for common diseases which would improve the lives of more people. Where is the political will for option A over option B?

The belief is that any and all existing R&D spend would be nationalized with centralized budgeting and prioritization. Drug development currently moves forward based on risk adjusted NPV or rate of return that is acceptable to shareholders. In this future it would be some combination of probability of technical/regulatory success, unmet need, and reduction in total healthcare expenditures by addressing that unmet need. Voters would have no real idea how prioritization is determined nor need to care, similar to how voters today largely aren't aware of how NIH allocates its budget.

You could debate whether such a system would yield more or less innovation, but it certainly could be done. The trickier thing is that this plan would require international cooperation / pooling of funds and essentially the elimination of drug patents. The US isn't going to spend $X billion on annual drug development and then produce the drug at cost for the entire world while China or whoever requires the US to pay for products they develop and manufacture.

Without some mandated % of GDP contribution from all countries it creates race to the bottom where some will assume they can free ride off the spend + clinical advancements of other countries that are willing to put up the money and resources. There's no payoff or reward for spending more money on R&D or getting more drugs approved.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

KingNastidon posted:

The belief is that any and all existing R&D spend would be nationalized with centralized budgeting and prioritization. Drug development currently moves forward based on risk adjusted NPV or rate of return that is acceptable to shareholders. In this future it would be some combination of probability of technical/regulatory success, unmet need, and reduction in total healthcare expenditures by addressing that unmet need. Voters would have no real idea how prioritization is determined nor need to care, similar to how voters today largely aren't aware of how NIH allocates its budget.

You could debate whether such a system would yield more or less innovation, but it certainly could be done. The trickier thing is that this plan would require international cooperation / pooling of funds and essentially the elimination of drug patents. The US isn't going to spend $X billion on annual drug development and then produce the drug at cost for the entire world while China or whoever requires the US to pay for products they develop and manufacture.

Without some mandated % of GDP contribution from all countries it creates race to the bottom where some will assume they can free ride off the spend + clinical advancements of other countries that are willing to put up the money and resources. There's no payoff or reward for spending more money on R&D or getting more drugs approved.

and imagine a world where you, drug marketing analytics boy, could devote your efforts to something like that instead of scaremongering over how if your employer doesn't get to gouge diabetics on insulin, nobody will ever develop another treatment ever again.

people on a poverty-wracked island that's been the subject of unremitting trade warfare for decades managed to figure out a way to prevent mother-to-child HIV transmission your paymasters decided just wasn't cost-beneficial enough to look into. an industry that lacks you is demonstrably better at providing the aid that is (hypothetically) the thing it is there to provide.

imagine the horror, friend. the horror of people working on alleviating human suffering without having to run it by some insufferable nerd who says "well, yes, but can we hold the threat of death over them in order to extract rents if we give them this?"

KingNastidon
Jun 25, 2004
Yes, Yeowch, we get it. Socialism good, people that participate in profit-seeking industries today bad. Do you just scour the forums looking for people you don't like so you can make mean spirited personal comments while contributing zero subject area expertise or moving the conversation forward in an interesting way?

Any thoughts or recommendations on how your ideal would be organized and run?

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

KingNastidon posted:

Yes, Yeowch, we get it. Socialism good, people that participate in profit-seeking industries today bad. Do you just scour the forums looking for people you don't like so you can make mean spirited personal comments while contributing zero subject area expertise or moving the conversation forward in an interesting way?

Any thoughts or recommendations on how your ideal would be organized and run?

feel free to click on the question mark by my name. i've been in this thread for considerably longer than you, and you might learn a thing or two about those icky "provider" people you're distantly aware have something to do with how healthcare actually gets distributed.

not only can it be done. it has been done. and it has accomplished things it is your job to prevent from happening, on the grounds they're just not profitable enough. because there is an entire world of inefficiencies you have been carefully trained not to see, on the grounds you are one of them.

you are extremely concerned about the drag on the system provided by the "free-riders" on pharmaceutical research. and that is a worthy concern!

it's just a little funny to hear concerns about drag coming from the bulbous, pus-seeping tumor on the underside of the wing.

KingNastidon
Jun 25, 2004

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

feel free to click on the question mark by my name. i've been in this thread for considerably longer than you, and you might learn a thing or two about those icky "provider" people you're distantly aware have something to do with how healthcare actually gets distributed.

not only can it be done. it has been done. and it has accomplished things it is your job to prevent from happening, on the grounds they're just not profitable enough. because there is an entire world of inefficiencies you have been carefully trained not to see, on the grounds you are one of them.

you are extremely concerned about the drag on the system provided by the "free-riders" on pharmaceutical research. and that is a worthy concern!

it's just a little funny to hear concerns about drag coming from the bulbous, pus-seeping tumor on the underside of the wing.

Hmm, yes I see you have a fundamental understanding of the US healthcare system and the perverse and often contradictory incentives for each stakeholder in the supply chain. You aren't really breaking new ground here.

But the reality is today that the vast, vast majority of drug development is done today by private for-profit companies, be it in the US or elsewhere. This will not automatically change under single payer. Countries with single payer or UHC systems today may have better negotiation power over reimbursement rates, but still purchase biopharmaceuticals and med devices from private companies rather than doing the clinical development themselves. Countries with single payer still have "sales and marketing" roles within these countries.

So in your ideal world where private for-profit providers did not exist, specifically biopharma and med devices, what would that look like? How would it be structured and funded in the US and the rest of the world? How would development decisions be made? Simply saying the current system is flawed and could be improved doesn't absolve you from considering a wide range of implementation options, much like "single payer" isn't a singular and well-defined policy.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

silence_kit posted:

dude have you ever looked at the federal budget, do you have any idea how much money is wasted on poo poo less important than drug research, orders of magnitude more than it would cost to develop every drug in the pipeline is spent on corporate welfare and pointless wars

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
The fact that the government can spend money wastefully is not an argument that, were the government to be solely responsible for all medical research, they would spend money wisely.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Dead Reckoning posted:

The fact that the government can spend money wastefully is not an argument that, were the government to be solely responsible for all medical research, they would spend money wisely.

He's arguing that there isn't enough money to do it, period, not that bad politicians could get elected who would prefer to spend that money on wars and tax cuts for the rich instead (thanks to voters like yall)

Anyway it's not hard to be more compassionate than private drug companies whose only goal is maximizing the blood money they can make off human misery

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
VitalSigns, you are my loving hero.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Can you imagine what the world would be like if the US government spent money on healthcare like it did on wars? We'd have a life expectancy of like 200 years.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

SpartanIvy posted:

Can you imagine what the world would be like if the US government spent money on healthcare like it did on wars? We'd have a life expectancy of like 200 years.

i don't think this is true, but we would definitely have way, way less people dying of easily treatable things because they don't have any way to get healthcare.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

We’d probably save a lot of money by lowering costs and keeping a lot of people from having to file bankruptcy but shhhhhhhhhhh.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Even if you're a conservative, unhealthy people are unproductive people. It seems like a no-brainer until you remember that loss of healthcare is the cudgel used to keep employees compliant their labor cheap.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I just got off the phone with CIGNA and then the Marketplace.gov people. My COBRA coverage ends on August 20 and my new coverage currently doesn't start until Sept 1. Both groups of people told me it's impossible to move my new coverage start date to 20/21 so I don't have a gap in coverage.

Am I actually just hosed for 10 days hoping I don't have an ER trip, or that my toddler doesn't get sick?

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Yup

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Well gently caress me in the rear end. (also found the info here: https://www.healthcare.gov/have-job-based-coverage/if-you-lose-job-based-coverage/)

BCBS has a number I can call for coverage directly from them (I guess) so I'll probably try calling them on monday to see if I can buy 10 days of coverage (lol double gently caress me).

Thanks obama america

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

Should a colonoscopy cost the patient $3300? My united healthcare plan thinks it should.

Oh, if my libertarian poo poo for brains youthful self could see me now.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Don’t worry, if your medical bills ever get completely out of hand, just get NPR and CBS on the case and the insurance company will be publicly shamed into doing their due diligence and actually insuring you instead of ruining you with a half-million dollar bill:

https://twitter.com/npr/status/1154829019583524865?s=21

See? Simple!

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Well that’s because the government pays for dialysis.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Zapf Dingbat posted:

Should a colonoscopy cost the patient $3300? My united healthcare plan thinks it should.

Oh, if my libertarian poo poo for brains youthful self could see me now.

No it shouldn't, shop around.

I think mine was around $1000 but I had a doctor try to charge me $2000 and then sent my account to a "precollections" service which called me trying to collect the money a week before the procedure was supposed to be done. I then found a better doctor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
My wife and I are stuck in an absurdist comedy situation.
She has a good job, and her job provides her with health insurance. Her health insurance covers medical and dental and it's through the same company.
She suffers from a mild degenerative disease of the joints, and she has been experiencing some problems with her TMJ (the doctor was surprised that she wasn't writhing in pain given the situation of the joint).

So she goes to see an oral surgeon per her PMC's instructions.
The oral surgeon says that she needs a splint and will probably need surgery.
At the end of the visit, the surgeon's office says that if she wants to do a splint, it will cost 1450, and that the insurance company has said that they don't cover that.
So it starts:
-call 1, to insurance, "yeah we cover it, talk to them again"
- call 2, to provider, "no, we just tried it, they don't"
- call 3, to insurance, "yes, we do, what code are they using?"
- call 4, to provider "here's the code"
- call 5, to insurance "that is a dental code, we cover it under medical, tell them to try under medical"
- call 6, to provider "we tried under medical, it's denying it"
- call 7, to insurance "ah, it's because your doctor is in network for dental, but not for medical, here's a list of oral surgeons that are in network for medical"
checks email, list includes the doctor in question as both medical and dental

so call 8, tomorrow, again, to insurance to ask wtf

All of this for something that we will pay out of pocket anyways, because she hasn't met her deductible. It's just a matter of doing it this year (if doesn't count towards the deductible) or waiting till january (so it counts towards the deductible)