Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Isaacs Alter Ego posted:

Is the demo cutoff point when you plant the bomb in statue? I just get crash every time I try, so I figure I've seen all the content there is to see, or I hosed up something horribly in all the quests I accepted without thinking.

No, there's more to it. There wasn't a crash at that point when we were testing so I can only guess a new crash was somehow introduced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

sounds like an indescribably stupid system imo

Which one?

Lurdiak posted:

No, there's more to it. There wasn't a crash at that point when we were testing so I can only guess a new crash was somehow introduced.

I don't know how it is possible but it seems like a lot of old bugs are being revived. For example, Wilmer's quest was supposed to be air tight after the million hours I wasted on fixing him, but watching streams and videos of people playing this I don't think I've seen a single person have it work out correctly if you actually pay his rent.

Gortarius fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jun 19, 2019

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs
Paging Supermechagodzilla to this thread to explain why Barkles is actually the greatest vidcon ever as per Zizek's explanation of Lacan's surplus jouissance concept

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Gortarius posted:

I don't know how it is possible but it seems like a lot of old bugs are being revived. For example, Wilmer's quest was supposed to be air tight after the million hours I wasted on fixing him, but watching streams and videos of people playing this I don't think I've seen a single person have it work out correctly if you actually pay his rent.

I can't even begin to guess what could've caused that. It worked perfectly during testing. Maybe someone accidentally merged in a really, really old build.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

sounds like an indescribably stupid system imo
It is. I just hate guns breeding the way it is made. How it works makes no sense whatsoever and the game loop is thoroughly busted because of it since it is supposed to be a core element of the game loop. It is completely unusable for any sort of actual purpose beyond just ramming guns together to increase their base power, and even that is hard for me to understand how it works, and i’ve played the Barkfuck 2 combat for five god drat years.

The only part of fusion that is good is the map. Because it is super clear how it works, can be understood, and used to produce fairly reliable results.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Bisse posted:

It is. I just hate guns breeding the way it is made. How it works makes no sense whatsoever and the game loop is thoroughly busted because of it since it is supposed to be a core element of the game loop. It is completely unusable for any sort of actual purpose beyond just ramming guns together to increase their base power, and even that is hard for me to understand how it works, and i’ve played the Barkfuck 2 combat for five god drat years.

The only part of fusion that is good is the map. Because it is super clear how it works, can be understood, and used to produce fairly reliable results.

Wait, the numbers actually matter? Dang.

Zackarotto
Dec 25, 2005

Ha! Ha! I'll now calculate your brain age.

Lurdiak posted:

The worst examples are when I'd fuse a high power gun with low capacity and a low power gun with high capacity, and end up with a gun that has both mediocre power and mediocre capacity, aka a completely useless weapon.
This wouldn't be a problem if you kept the parents, and repeatedly bred them until you got the kid with the best genes of both. I'm not really sure why the parents fuse into the kids, other than to take a lot of control over the process away from the player and keep them from quickly breeding the best gun in the game, but there should be ways around that, like a cost of scrap (or time) when breeding.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
For some reason the one thing I never get tired of is the 's' in gunsbreeding instead of gun breeding.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Zackarotto posted:

This wouldn't be a problem if you kept the parents, and repeatedly bred them until you got the kid with the best genes of both. I'm not really sure why the parents fuse into the kids, other than to take a lot of control over the process away from the player and keep them from quickly breeding the best gun in the game, but there should be ways around that, like a cost of scrap (or time) when breeding.
it's Dragon Quest Monsters/Persona style duh

...I do not know if this is the actual reason, just that another game did it, but it does make sense to not have a timelock (scrap lock makes sense, but time lock would feel awful)

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

mycot posted:

For some reason the one thing I never get tired of is the 's' in gunsbreeding instead of gun breeding.

my condolences

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The material tier list is incomprehensible as a joke

It would be more playable if it were sorted alphabetically as a joke

(Then changing to Al Bhed midgame would be a speedrun strat)

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jun 19, 2019

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
completely scrapping the ammo thing and instead adding a mag size/reload speed mechanic would go a long way into improving combat.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

nerdz posted:

completely scrapping the ammo thing and instead adding a mag size/reload speed mechanic would go a long way into improving combat.

This but for basically all video games

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare
I think the comment from a few pages ago about "A lot of the jokes seem to be based around wasting the player's time" rings kind of true. The savepod menu is a bizarre mess, too, I really did not understand how there could be so much discussion and redesigning of a menu until I tried to navigate that abomination. The game seems okay but it definitely has a weird tone to it. Something that really stuck out to me, and this is probably me over thinking things, but the one joke that really made me chuckle also kind of took me out of the game. In the opening when the dreugar says "Greetings, I am a dreuger. We comprise the main antagonists of this game, so I would avoid us if I were you. Prepare to die, bitch." It's a funny line, but I couldn't really think of any times Barkley 1 broke the fourth wall. The game never really winked at the camera, and the characters never questioned stupid poo poo like turning into a dreugar every Columbus day. Just a tonal shift that left me kinda scratching my head.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I think it works in the game’s tutorial zone just fine, and that got a laugh out of me, too. The way that his tone shifts so abruptly combined with the way it parses the text so that you read one line and then the other on the next screen is great comedic timing.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Gortarius posted:

Which one?

I had it work out just fine when I paid his rent?

Maybe something else was supposed to happen after that though, I would have no way of knowing if some future trigger failed to fire.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

My personal favorite tone shift is when you horribly poison Fallen Gordo and his eyes pop out of his head grotesquely. XJAM just quips "Now that's what I call an eye-opening experience" with a satisfied grin, which is both a comically awful one-liner and a complete break from his well meaning naive youngster personality. The game needed more moments like that.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

nerdz posted:

honestly it worked great in mass effect 1

firefrorefiddle
Jun 14, 2019

impractical cat

Gortarius posted:

Benjamin needs Pinocchio's DNA in order to cure his colleague, and lover, Phileas Fogg from some unnamed disease. The cure involves injecting Pinocchio DNA into Phileas which then revitalizes him but the many years he has spent in a cryotube has left him deformed and deranged. When they are finally reunited Benjamin-Hur asks Phileas if he still loves him, to which Phileas responds "Yes", but he is actually lying, and since he has Pinocchio DNA now his nose violently grows in size and fatally impales Benjamin-Hur.
this pulled from my lungs the weirdest softest laugh

like a "ha HAaaa"

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi

firefrorefiddle posted:

this pulled from my lungs the weirdest softest laugh

like a "ha HAaaa"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3g1wLe20rE

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

Fuschia tude posted:

I had it work out just fine when I paid his rent?

Maybe something else was supposed to happen after that though, I would have no way of knowing if some future trigger failed to fire.

What I've seen happen is that people pay the rent, go back to Wilmer and he is evicted anyway.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Gortarius posted:

What I've seen happen is that people pay the rent, go back to Wilmer and he is evicted anyway.

Ah, no, sounds like it worked out properly for me, then. I paid his rent, went back home to tell him, and he fell asleep.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
Over the years, have there been any Toxxes that people will have to go through if the full game ever comes out?

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007

Uncle Wemus posted:

honestly it worked great in mass effect 1

The worst thing that Mass Effect 2 did was introduce limited ammo.

I mean it was absolutely busted as poo poo because you could just customize a gun so it never overheated but I thought the ability to just shoot forever would be a feature of the customization system, along with turning the sniper rifle and shotgun into rocket launchers to hunt dropships with.

Anyway please stop having limited ammo in games where limited ammo and the associated resource management isn't a key part of the intended experience

let me use the good, interesting guns instead of constantly shuffling through trash

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs
If you don't like shuffling through trash maybe this game isn't "For You"

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007
here's a protip for aspiring game developers

is your inventory management system as intuitive and satisfying as resident evil 4's

if it's not, don't try to make inventory management an important thing your game does

FrankieSmileShow
Jun 1, 2011

wuzzathang
Limiting ammo is a good way to force players to try a lot of different guns, and makes players more likely to try random guns from their bag instead of just sticking to their main weapons. Having to change weapons on the fly in a panic and ending up with some stupid gun that shoots blocks of tofu backwards can be just the right kind of aburd hectic moment the game is looking to create, and limited ammo is what makes things like that possible.

But that could be achieved without having this "smelt points" resource management for reloading weapons. You could just regain all ammo on your main weapons whenever you enter an utility station.
The risk that players completely run out of ammo and are unable to proceed is not valuable at all here, this isn't a survival horror game. Worse, Its also at odds with inciting players to experiment.
The smelt points feel like a superfluous complication here for the most part, which is made worse by the awkward interface you need to use to reload your guns with them.

That said, smelting your guns does serve another purpose here, to get rid of junk guns from your bag without feeling like you are just throwing them away.
Removing smelting altogether might have an unintended consequence of making players more shy about clearing their bag, and feeling like they *have* to breed all of their guns together or else they are "wasting" them.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Some other uses for dud guns might be the thing, along with a gun'svault to stash them long term.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

FrankieSmileShow posted:

Limiting ammo is a good way to force players to try a lot of different guns, and makes players more likely to try random guns from their bag instead of just sticking to their main weapons. Having to change weapons on the fly in a panic and ending up with some stupid gun that shoots blocks of tofu backwards can be just the right kind of aburd hectic moment the game is looking to create, and limited ammo is what makes things like that possible.

But that could be achieved without having this "smelt points" resource management for reloading weapons. You could just regain all ammo on your main weapons whenever you enter an utility station.
The risk that players completely run out of ammo and are unable to proceed is not valuable at all here, this isn't a survival horror game. Worse, Its also at odds with inciting players to experiment.
The smelt points feel like a superfluous complication here for the most part, which is made worse by the awkward interface you need to use to reload your guns with them.

That said, smelting your guns does serve another purpose here, to get rid of junk guns from your bag without feeling like you are just throwing them away.
Removing smelting altogether might have an unintended consequence of making players more shy about clearing their bag, and feeling like they *have* to breed all of their guns together or else they are "wasting" them.
On the first point of hectic gameplay, yes that would be funny if the game was actually fast and hectic. However, it just is not, it is slow and dull and boring.

Removing smelt points is a huge benefit to the game for sure. On your point of the guns bag, it no longer adds any value to the game then so just cut it as well. Keep the 5 gun slots and have the player drop their current weapon if they pick up a new one. Now:
- the game is much simplified
- the player is still motivated to try new guns as a way to handle ammo issues
- the player must make a tradeoff between keeping good guns or guns that have ammo

So in this way simplifying the game would actually help it achieve its goals better, and give the player more control understanding and tradeoffs to make rather than just picking everything up. Then you just need to solve the dull/slow/boring issues with combat plus the issue of being completely handicapped when ammo is out. Fistol Now you still have the comedic moments of equipping a complete garbage gun mid-battle, it would just happen when picking it up as opposed to when equipping it from the bag.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Jun 20, 2019

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Gungeon already did a lot of work on trying to balance all the ammo stuff you’re talking about here. Get the good gun, squander all your ammo, get stuck with your awful starter weapon against a tough room, etc. They kind of ate your lunch with gun’s combat in general but this is an area they rebalanced multiple times throughout the lifecycle of the game. It took them until near the end to figure out the concept of an ammo pickup that, instead of refilling all the ammo of a single gun, refilled some ammo on all guns.

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
The Fistol alternative known as the PaciFist can be equipped to deal knockback, but do zero damage

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Prop Wash posted:

Gungeon already did a lot of work on trying to balance all the ammo stuff you’re talking about here. ... They kind of ate your lunch with gun’s combat in general
Yup!!

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Bisse posted:

So in this way simplifying the game would actually help it achieve its goals better, and give the player more control understanding and tradeoffs to make rather than just picking everything up. Then you just need to solve the dull/slow/boring issues with combat plus the issue of being completely handicapped when ammo is out. Fistol Now you still have the comedic moments of equipping a complete garbage gun mid-battle, it would just happen when picking it up as opposed to when equipping it from the bag.

Clearly, the game needs a gunsbreeding farm where all the guns end up starting families and producing offspring enmasse. A civilization rises. Or it would if those guns weren't teleported into Hoopz's bag whenever a gun runs out of ammo. Reloading is for pussies.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Yeah the game is currently trying to play both ends with having gun's be disposable easy come/easy go (like every weapon in botw), but also expecting the player to try to breed a great gun they really want to keep using(like more of a pokemon thing), and while I don't think that's necessarily impossible to resolve, the current compromise situation obviously isn't working.

The fact that breeding is so chaotic in its effects is one issue; i found myself reluctant to put in any good gun's because there was no guarantee of getting something better, and a good chance of getting something much worse.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

In keeping with the idiotic over-complication of the gunsbreeding, one possible solution to people being shy about switching gun's would be to have gun's degrade over time, adding an age category to them every so many times the clip is emptied out(or when a certain amount of in-game time has passed, whichever is more practical). Thus you'd have like a Newborn Gun, a Teenage Gun, a Veteran Gun, an Elder Gun, an Ancient Gun, etc, with the gun's getting slightly more crap with each age category but retaining their base stats for breeding purposes. This'd be absurd and slightly funny, especially coupled with the rest of the gun's system, and encourage players to either breed or replace even their best gun's after a while, solving the issue caused by losing smelt points as an incentive to clear your slots.

Additionally, even though reloading definitely shouldn't cost anything at a station, the smelt points could retain their purpose as "fuel" for the gun'sbreeding, possibly even letting you pay more smelt points to improve the odds of retaining positive traits/losing negative ones. And they could still be used to generate candy.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jun 20, 2019

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Blattdorf posted:

Clearly, the game needs a gunsbreeding farm where all the guns end up starting families and producing offspring enmasse. A civilization rises. Or it would if those guns weren't teleported into Hoopz's bag whenever a gun runs out of ammo. Reloading is for pussies.

We were watching your gun's for you, and this egg appeared!

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
If you want to make breeding no longer eliminate gun's, there are plenty of ways to set other limits and quirks.

Gun's that breed too often and/or reach Ancient age could end up sterile, preventing overuse. Gun's that fear commitment need new partners. Monogamist gun's will never betray the gun they're first bred with. Some gun's may need to be wined and dined first. Maybe your gun's miss their families and get stat boosts if you bring ma and pa along in your gun's bag.

This premise has so much room, guys!

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

they won't breed unless you feed them a kupo nut

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

The Bee posted:

If you want to make breeding no longer eliminate gun's, there are plenty of ways to set other limits and quirks.

Gun's that breed too often and/or reach Ancient age could end up sterile, preventing overuse. Gun's that fear commitment need new partners. Monogamist gun's will never betray the gun they're first bred with. Some gun's may need to be wined and dined first. Maybe your gun's miss their families and get stat boosts if you bring ma and pa along in your gun's bag.

This premise has so much room, guys!

love too juggle a dozen independent +1% modifiers and whiny, picky items (I actually do like this idea but it'd probably be bastard hard to deal with)

Lurdiak posted:

Thus you'd have like a Newborn Gun, a Teenage Gun, a Veteran Gun, an Elder Gun, an Ancient Gun, etc, with the gun's getting slightly more crap with each age category but retaining their base stats for breeding purposes

Kingdom Death Monster has this, at least in theory; once a survivor has gone on too many adventures (or faced off against the Phoenix and gotten unlucky with its aging mechanic) they retire and can only do stuff at camp. Aging makes survivors stronger, though, so it's like a ramp up to a sudden cut-off, where you might want to balance keeping them around for one last hurrah later on, against needing someone strong enough to hunt a more powerful monster. A retired survivor can still be used for camp stuff, and can pass on their name and skills to their descendants, so there's still a use for them. There's also a late-game powerup that lets you bring a survivor out of retirement, or prevent them from retiring at all.

In practice though you just roll bad on the encounter table and whoops rocks fall lol hope you didn't need those four

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

I've been busy with moving and have missed out on this thread.

What the gently caress happened? There's a demo now?