Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

I hope this is the right place to post this. Can someone in this thread who knows about this stuff help me with a "kinship terms" question?

My mom has a sister, R. R and her husband, C, are my aunt and uncle.

C has a sister, E. E and her husband M have a son, A.

So A has an aunt and uncle (R and C) who are also my aunt and uncle.

What do you call the relationship between A and me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal
A is your aunt's sister-in-law's son. I suppose you might say you were cousins-in-law, but I've never seen that term used.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Part 2 of 3 done, except for some tables that I put off till later!! only 157 images left lmao

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

God dammit gedmatch, way to slip right down that slippery slope.

quote:

On Nov 17, 2018, a 71 year old church organist was violently attacked while practicing alone in her church.

The Police contacted Parabon NanoLabs, seeking help, but Parabon declined to take the case because it did not meet the "rape or murder" definition in GEDmatch Terms of Service. We were later contacted by the Police Detective working the case. After hearing the very violent details of this case, we offered Parabon permission to look for a match at GEDmatch. They accepted our offer and took the case.

As a result of leads generated from a DNA match on GEDmatch, in April, 2019, a suspect was arrested and charged. There are those who believe that we have betrayed the trust of those who have uploaded their DNA to GEDmatch. GEDmatch made an exception to policy in this case because police made a compelling argument that this offender could pose a serious public safety risk.

We encourage GEDmatch users to express their opinions on Law Enforcement use of GEDmatch and genetic genealogy to produce leads.
You don't get to grant exceptions to your Terms of Service then retroactively inform your userbase that you've granted an exception to your Terms of Service because 'seriously guys they said this was serious.' Hope your European userbase doesn't decide to file a complaint because their privacy laws gots teeth and you don't gots millions of Euros.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Jeez, they just can't help themselves. Yeah, wonder what the EU commission says to that!

Transcription status: 80-some images left of my idiotic project, plus a ton of tables that I've put off. He really likes making tables, this guy. Currently comes out to 170 pages (including table of contests and stuff). Will probably be ~250 pages when all is said and done.

Looking into bringing a plate of glass to the archives to take photos of some handdrawn maps that were folded up and stuck between the pages, as my current photos aren't worth reproducing. Should be allowed, as far as I can tell.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Can I get one of you guys to check out a thing on hathitrust for me?

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=hvd.ah67vf -- should be "Kirkehistoriske Samlinger" series 3 issue 5 (3. række 5. bind). For some reason it's not available in Denmark but some other issues are.

There's a citation in the manuscript where I can't read the page number (it might be 245 or 285 but I am not sure, it's all inkblotted to hell). The cite is attached to a sentence that says Simon Pedersen Hoff or Hof became rector and lector of theology in Trondheim (Trondhjem, Trondhiem) and died 1708.

I'd appreciate it if you could check it out and give me the correct page number. Should be doable even if you don't speak Danish by checking/searching for the name/place/year.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Krankenstyle posted:

Can I get one of you guys to check out a thing on hathitrust for me?

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=hvd.ah67vf -- should be "Kirkehistoriske Samlinger" series 3 issue 5 (3. række 5. bind). For some reason it's not available in Denmark but some other issues are.

There's a citation in the manuscript where I can't read the page number (it might be 245 or 285 but I am not sure, it's all inkblotted to hell). The cite is attached to a sentence that says Simon Pedersen Hoff or Hof became rector and lector of theology in Trondheim (Trondhjem, Trondhiem) and died 1708.

I'd appreciate it if you could check it out and give me the correct page number. Should be doable even if you don't speak Danish by checking/searching for the name/place/year.

There’s a footnote on p. 245 that mentions that name. I’ll try to transcribe it a little later since I’m on my phone right now.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Here we go:

quote:

Se Tillæg Nr. 18. Blandt dem, hvis Arvelodder Th. Bang havde bestyret, var Simon Pedersen Hoff, sikkert en Søn af Fynboen Peder Simonsen Hoff, der døde som Præst i Blidstrup i Nordsjæland. Simon Hoff blev 1653 Student fra Frederiksborg Skole og var siden Lærer for Bangs Børn og tillige hans Amanuensis. Den 12 Dcbr. 1658 anbefalede Bang ham som «en lærd og fin Karl» til at blive Konrektor i Ribe. Dette Embede opnaaede han dog ikke. Derimod blev han Rektor og siden Lector theol. i Trondhjem, i hvilken Stilling han døde i en høj Alder 1708 (se mit Skrift, Studenternes Deltagelse i Kbhvns. Forsvar, S. 277, og. Nyt hist. Tiddskrift. VI, 542).

quoted from Kirkehistoriske samlinger / udgivne af selskabet for Danmarks kirkehistorie, tredie række, femte bind, by Holker Fr. Rørdam, Kjøbenhavn, I Komission Hos Univ. Boghandl. G. E. C. Gad., Thieles Bogtrykkeri, 1884–86

page 245, permalink <https://hdl.handle.net/2027/hvd.ah67vf?urlappend=%3Bseq=253>, accessed 21 May 2019

This is in a chapter/article entitled “Professor Dr. Thomas Bangs Levned” by Holger Fr. Rørdam, pp. 193–299

In addition, the book has an annotation that reads: “Version: 2018-09-25 14:57 UTC”

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

13 million Holocaust records now online!

You can search for the names of victims of Nazi persecution in our portal. However, please remember that this is not a full search, because many of the documents held in the Arolsen Archives are not yet accessible in the online archive.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Sweet, thanks, that's exactly what I needed :)

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Well here's a nice little presentation on how to cite sources for newbies. From Ancestry.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Citing sources is so incredibly important. I can't count how many times I've come across some unsourced data point in my early research & have had to spend hours or days redoing everything about that person from ground up. It'll be even harder for some future genealogist looking at your stuff, so get to it!

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
There’s a reason I posted what I did. I don’t know what Krankenhaus is using as a citation format but best to give them everything I can.

Of course Krankenhaus SHOULD be citing my excerpt as a forum post rather than the underlying material but... The least I can do is give the information for anyone who comes looking.

Also, can I suggest telling the Internet Archive to archive any webpage you’re planning on citing with the Save Page Now feature?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

ComradeCosmobot posted:

There’s a reason I posted what I did. I don’t know what Krankenhaus is using as a citation format but best to give them everything I can.

Of course Krankenhaus SHOULD be citing my excerpt as a forum post rather than the underlying material but... The least I can do is give the information for anyone who comes looking.

Also, can I suggest telling the Internet Archive to archive any webpage you’re planning on citing with the Save Page Now feature?

Oh that was absolutely not aimed at you CC. I just came across it and thought it was a nice resource, especially since I tend to be haphazard about my sourcing and just write everything down I can possibly find about the source so I can 'clean it up later.'

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Oracle posted:

Oh that was absolutely not aimed at you CC. I just came across it and thought it was a nice resource, especially since I tend to be haphazard about my sourcing and just write everything down I can possibly find about the source so I can 'clean it up later.'

No offense taken! Was just trying to illustrate how important citation is by pointing to something just a few posts up.

My own personal strategy is to jot down everything like you do, but I try to clean it up according to the style established by the incredible handbook Evidence Explained, but it sometimes gets a bit pedantic when I’m entering data into GRAMPS.

I do wish software developers would spend some time on citation UIs so it doesn’t feel so tedious, since it seems equally bad across all platforms.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Yeah tbh I'm pretty bad at actually formatting my citations in my database — I don't use the gedcom source structure because it's a pain in the rear end, I just attach text notes :ohdear: but I try to provide enough info that it should be possible to find the original source anyway.

When I write something up for sharing, I'm pretty strict about the formatting & including all the relevant fields (though I don't cite parish registers for every baptism/marriage/burial/etc unless there is something special that means you need more than date+location to find the entry).

Also: 46 images left to transcribe (plus the tables)

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 14:22 on May 24, 2019

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I don't know if this was mentioned here, but Icelandic records are available here: http://skjalaskrar.skjalasafn.is
I don't think the site is available in English, but Prestþjónustubækur (in selection box to the right) are parish registers. Under Sía niðurstöður, you can filter by title/period/creator/parish respectively. I may be able to help translating the images, as the priests were educated in Denmark and often wrote in Danish.

Faroese Islands here: http://history.fo/
Church records under Kirkjubøkur, which are divided into pastorates & then periods. These I can definitely translate as I have spent a lot of time with them and they're entirely in Danish. Quality isn't very good, but I am told that they're in the process of photographing them all from the bottom up.

Also, 20 images left :sweatdrop:

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 09:55 on May 31, 2019

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

All images processed :)

Now working through TODOs (78 left)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

50 TODOs left

starting to hate latex tables with a passion

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Danish Jewish Museum has created a searchable database based on Swedish registrations of those Jews who escaped to Sweden. I've already found a couple I was looking for. Good detailed info in the scanned PDFs. I can translate if anyone wants.

https://safe-haven.dk/?uid=1&L=1

e: Persons born after 1930 are excluded due to GDPR

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jun 11, 2019

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist
Has anyone had any luck finding records on family members in Poland or the Ukraine in the early to mid 19th century?
Things get dicey enough in the US in the 1850s...

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Have you tried https://szukajwarchiwach.pl ?

See also: http://www.lostshoebox.com/poland/online-records/

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Yeah depending on where in Poland you’re looking for there are quite a few church books out there. Problem is large swaths of both were part of both Prussia (or Austria) and Russia depending on when and where you’re looking, so you may need to look in places you don’t expect. I know the archives in Stettin have quite a few records going back that far for some areas but you have to know the Polish and German/Russian names of the various areas.

Rootsweb has some help of where to look. I’ve had some success with Facebook groups for the specific areas you’re looking for (just search for the geographic names of whatever towns or vovoidships you’re looking for + genealogy). Keep in mind a lot of them are closed to deter spammers so you may have to answer a few questions and apply to get in.

A list of names in Polish and their German equivalents.

Another helpful site for beginners

Familysearch is always a good stop

Keep in mind a lot of records were destroyed in WWII and a lot are still unavailable online. If you’re looking for evangelical records all those churches are now likely Catholic.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

No I hadn't, thanks for that.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Still working through my TODOs. Some 40 now, but they're smaller (like instead of "TODO table" it's "TODO fix this cell/row").

Also working on figuring out why an ancestor of mine (Niels Ibsen below) had money in his estate from seemingly unrelated people (the halfbrothers next to him). My theory, shown with the dotted line, is that they were cousins through their mothers, but I haven't been able to find her name in the sources (again the burnt church registers) so it's proving to be a tough nut to crack.

Also God-man Angel-son is a pretty intense name lol

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
I apparently have an ancestor named Smallhope Biggs, which is so amazing that I want to legally change my name to that.

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

I have a set of great grandparents named Max and Minnie.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Grandmother's name was Jemina.

Great-grandmother's was Beulah.

They were the first (and last) of their names for obvious reasons.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Great-great uncle Gibson Roper, which would be a fantastic name even if I didn't have the maturity of a 12 year old

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

There's a handful of guys in the 16th-18th centuries in and around my hometown named Icewolf :black101: but so far I haven't found any connection :(

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

Krankenstyle posted:

Still working through my TODOs. Some 40 now, but they're smaller (like instead of "TODO table" it's "TODO fix this cell/row").

Also working on figuring out why an ancestor of mine (Niels Ibsen below) had money in his estate from seemingly unrelated people (the halfbrothers next to him). My theory, shown with the dotted line, is that they were cousins through their mothers, but I haven't been able to find her name in the sources (again the burnt church registers) so it's proving to be a tough nut to crack.

Also God-man Angel-son is a pretty intense name lol

What's the six-dot symbol, life span? In that case, the death year of Ingel Andersen seems wrong, or maybe the birth years of Gudmand Ingelsen and Kristine?
Is Jep 10 years younger than his father in law? Is Gudmand the younger only *checks graph* 19 years younger than his grandfather?

Edit: I guess I'll take my answer in 6 hours, haha.

NFX fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jun 21, 2019

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Sorry :D those are supposed to flowers for floruit (attested in sources) for the ones where I have no indication of birth/death at all; they were presumably born at least 20-25 years before the earlier date tho.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

21 TODOs left, only 2 of them tables :woop:

Clocking in at 250 pages, probably gonna be close to 300 when including the maps and my own appendixes

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist
The National Archives search might be the worst thing anyone has ever developed.
Also,
Does anyone have a strategy for reading very messy microfilm photographs of cursive, handwritten documents?

Naffer fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jun 26, 2019

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Naffer posted:

The National Archives search might be the worst thing anyone has ever developed.
Also,
Does anyone have a strategy for reading very messy microfilm photographs of cursive, handwritten documents?

I go through the lines multiple times, each time adding what letters/words I can to my transcription. At first it might only be a few, but as more begin to make sense, the context will help decipher yet more. Also, lots of practice. When I started out, I had a sheet with typical examples of letters printed out near me so I could compare. Another trick is seeing if a tricky letter is elsewhere in the document; perhaps it's easier to figure out there, or again the context might help...

Feel free to post some examples and we can try and help you along :)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Also, I found out that a relative was in the US in the 1850s. In December 1860, he wrote the ministry of the interior here (my translation):

quote:

For a duration of 8 years I have been away from my birth country Denmark, and in this time I have resided in the North American States; this nation of industry and invention. During my stay there I have acquainted myself with many inventions of interest to industry, that are not yet known here on the continent; among other things I manufacture a Washing Apparatus for washing linnen, that by its simple contruction yet great convenience would inspire imitations if I heedlessly introduced it commercially. I therefore humbly permit myself to petition the ministry that I may be granted an exclusive patent on this washing apparatus for a period of 5 years.

Along with the petition was a product sample and 3 recommendations from men whose wives had tried the apparatus and found it very convenient.

The ministry checked the novelty with the Polytechnic College, but as it turned out that "the washing apparatus on which the patent is petitioned consists of a ridged plate of sheet metal", for which patents had already been granted years prior & indeed the population already used such apparatuses "even in the countryside", the application was denied lol

But I wonder, can I figure out where he was in America? I don't know when he arrived home, but he does not appear to be in the 1855 & 1860 censuses of Denmark (both on February 2). How good are the corresponding US censuses as sources?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Krankenstyle posted:

Also, I found out that a relative was in the US in the 1850s. In December 1860, he wrote the ministry of the interior here (my translation):

Along with the petition was a product sample and 3 recommendations from men whose wives had tried the apparatus and found it very convenient.

The ministry checked the novelty with the Polytechnic College, but as it turned out that "the washing apparatus on which the patent is petitioned consists of a ridged plate of sheet metal", for which patents had already been granted years prior & indeed the population already used such apparatuses "even in the countryside", the application was denied lol

But I wonder, can I figure out where he was in America? I don't know when he arrived home, but he does not appear to be in the 1855 & 1860 censuses of Denmark (both on February 2). How good are the corresponding US censuses as sources?

Pretty good. Let me know his name and anything at all you might know (when he left, when he arrived, port of arrival if known, any information on the letter that might indicate where he was) I'll see what I can find (no promises for any Jan Janssens).

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I was going back over my wife's French Canadian family tree and since the last time I looked Ancestry now has a bunch of records like this:

The link genealogy.umontreal.ca doesn't appear to work. Does anyone know what this is? It's remarkably detailed and pushes her earliest ancestor all the way back to France. But since it's the only source I can find I have no idea whether it's legitimate. There are entries like this for 7 or 8 generations.

On another family line a random lady attached a note to one of my 17th century ancestors that they were the paternal great grandfather of President James A. Garfield. Unless that ancestor had an unknown 12th child I think she's full of poo poo. It's just a real odd thing to post in other people's family tree data. Garfield's family tree is pretty well documented as any President's would be and we're not in there.

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jun 26, 2019

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

There's a lot of crappy genealogist. There's one lady who keeps screwing with my 3rd great grandfather on familysearch and removing factually correct information regarding his wife. I go back and fix it. So much BS out there from folks it makes it hard to trust other sources.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Krispy Wafer posted:

I was going back over my wife's French Canadian family tree and since the last time I looked Ancestry now has a bunch of records like this:

The link genealogy.umontreal.ca doesn't appear to work. Does anyone know what this is? It's remarkably detailed and pushes her earliest ancestor all the way back to France. But since it's the only source I can find I have no idea whether it's legitimate. There are entries like this for 7 or 8 generations.
Pretty sure its this.

quote:

In 1966, the Programme de recherche en démographie historique (PRDH, Research Programme in Historical Demography) at the Université de Montréal undertook the exhaustive reconstruction of the population of Quebec from the beginnings of French colonization in the seventeenth century. This objective has been realized in the form of a computerized population register, composed of biographical files on all individuals of European ancestry who lived in the St. Lawrence Valley. The file for each individual gives the date and place of birth, marriage(s), and death, as well as family and conjugal ties with other individuals. This basic information is complemented by various socio-demographic characteristics drawn from documents: socio-professional status and occupation, ability to sign his or her name, place of residence, and, for immigrants, place of origin

Over the years, the PRDH register has become an evolutionary and multi-purpose data base, available for queries regarding various human populations in general and that of Quebec in particular. It is a truly interdisciplinary information system. Created for to provide demographic data, this remarkable tool has been used for a wide variety of research projects involving scholars from many disciplines – history, medicine, linguistics, anthropology, biology, genetics, and genealogy – as can be seen in the more than 200 titles in the PRDH’s bibliography

The project relies basically on exhaustive gathering of data from the parish registers of old Quebec. By systematic attribution of baptism, marriage, and burial certificates to the respective individuals – a "family reconstitution" made on the basis of names and family ties – people are identified and their biographies established. PRDH’s data base, covering the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries, thus contains the personal history of the Quebec ancestors of all French- Canadians.

In this regard, the genealogical information in the PRDH has long been of interest to a broad public. Sales of various products spun off from its activities have, over the years, provided the PRDH with revenues that have always been reinvested in the project. In fact, the project probably could not have been maintained without these contributions, given the difficulties of funding university research. Now, the project is culminating with the opening of a Web site offering exhaustive and unprecedented information; the fee charged is very reasonable and should enable the PRDH to continue with its scholarly research. We therefore truly have "Genealogy serving science, and science serving genealogy"!