Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Olympic Mathlete posted:

You were told wrong. Enjoy your stupid car.

I'm glad I was wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Flyinglemur posted:

I'm glad I was wrong

You will be requested to do a burnout though, it's the rules.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Olympic Mathlete posted:

You will be requested to do a burnout though, it's the rules.

I mean, if its the rules its the rules.

My wife asked me where I would use the drag launch mode and I said every red light that I don't see a cop.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

Flyinglemur posted:

I mean, if its the rules its the rules.

My wife asked me where I would use the drag launch mode and I said every red light that I don't see a cop.

I'm pretty sure it's Rule #1. Burnouts are mandatory.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

EvilBeard posted:

I'm pretty sure it's Rule #1. Burnouts are mandatory.

Now I can't tell if you're loving with me.

I've been here long enough to just assume that you are

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
It is known

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

BlackMK4 posted:

It is known

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Yeah, everybody but kaker because he doesn't have anything that can.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Powershift posted:

He might have a riding lawn mower.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
How do you do a burnout on an FWD car? Asking for a friend

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The Door Frame posted:

Put it in reverse?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The Door Frame posted:

Set the parking brake and dump the clutch/neutral drop.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

The Door Frame posted:

Have a bunch of fat buddies sit on the rear bumper and lube up the pavement.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Verman posted:

Have a bunch of fat buddies sit on the rear bumper and lube up the pavement.

fat buddies and a bunch of lube is your answer for everything

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

The Door Frame posted:

Hook it up to a RWD car and pretend?

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
It should be clear that I have no idea

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Powershift posted:

Motion to rename Powershift to Powerpoo poo and also to include one wheel peels in the 'burnout' category

doogle
May 24, 2003

I got my door handles back from the dealership painted body color. I had to order them from Australia because even though they have a Chevy part number, only a Holden dealer can order them. The Chevy dealer can only order the door handle with the chrome insert.

Stock

I vinyl wrapped the chrome part about six months ago, still didn't like it, but better than chrome.

Painted door handles. I should have gotten the chrome button painted too, but didn't realize the replacement handles didn't come with the button. Oh well.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

Flyinglemur posted:

Now I can't tell if you're loving with me.

I've been here long enough to just assume that you are

I would never joke. As a V8 enthusiast myself, pushing the skinny pedal down, hearing the squall of tires and the roar of the exhaust is one of life's true joys. To deny yourself this would be criminal. If you don't do burnouts, I'll be forced to come do burnouts for you.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

KakerMix posted:

Motion to rename Powershift to Powerpoo poo and also to include one wheel peels in the 'burnout' category

That's one more than you got :colbert

https://i.imgur.com/cFeuTpg.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/MMILWqT.mp4

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

EvilBeard posted:

I would never joke. As a V8 enthusiast myself, pushing the skinny pedal down, hearing the squall of tires and the roar of the exhaust is one of life's true joys. To deny yourself this would be criminal. If you don't do burnouts, I'll be forced to come do burnouts for you.

Apparently to do a proper burnout in this I need to do a dance of the brake pedal, gas pedal and the OK button on the steering wheel. Once I get good at it I will post proof. I'm sure the neighbors will be fine with this learning curve.

And the transbrake stuff is even funkier.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Yall are reminding me that I have a functional V8 and 30 year old tires that need replacing anyway.

doogle
May 24, 2003

I can taste that

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

KTune installed on the Si, flashed to the highest starter map, 19.5/23psi. Tomorrow will be a fun surprise when I go to drive it. Installing the KTuner was not nearly as easy off-the-bat as a Cobb AP, but once I got it rolling it wasn’t bad (other than dealing with my wife’s laptop, which I have to constantly hold the screen pressed against the case of the computer for it to function).

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

doogle posted:

I can taste that

Yeah, it was pretty god drat delicious.

They should make a perfume out of it. Tire smoke and rich combustion for women. Find it now at all harbor freights and princess autos.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I feel bad for people that can't tolerate the smell of gasoline.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Colostomy Bag posted:

I feel bad for people that can't tolerate the smell of gasoline.

I loved the smell of gas as a kid. It was still leaded. This might explain my posting?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I loved the smell of gas as a kid. It was still leaded. This might explain my posting?

Yeah, I hear you friend.

Was leaded cheaper back in the day? I just remember the old man ripping out the catalytic converter and milling an adapter tube so he could use leaded. But then that was the 70's and who knows what his motivations were.

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

The spice must flow in and through me.
The fire will cleanse me body and soul.

Part 1 of the front end work for the 4Runner:
Replace the half shaft boots. One was torn, two more had cracks that looked threatening.

I don't know how much torque was used in putting the lug nuts on, but my guess is way too much. The cordless impact wrench couldn't move them at all.
Even with the 1/2" breaker bar and a 3 foot pip on the end of it, I still needed to put my back into it. The studs aren't rusted so they weren't seized on there.
I'm sure the rear lugs are just as bad. The studs' threads look fine (thank fully).
No chances being taken with the lug nuts though, I've got new ones on the way.

Popped off the free wheel hubs:

They have these conical washers that are kind of a pain to get off. The factory service manual recommends using hammer and a brass bar to tap the bolts to walk the washers off.
I don't have a brass bar, so a larger pin punch carefully tapped had to do the trick. It didn't take much force, basically just enough to walk them out so you can grab them with some pliers, I did have to spread a couple a tiny bit with a chisel to get them to slide off the bolts.

Cordless brapbrap extendo action to get the inner drive shaft nuts off

Crap, stabilizer bar links look crusty AF too. New ones ordered.

Easily removed with my sway bar link removal tool: aka Harbor Freight generic saw-z-all.

The Toyota factory service manual is also very optimistic about how easy it is to get the shafts out. They don't recommend unbolting the upper ball join, sway bar link, etc. (which everyone else online seems to recommend). I was able to get the shafts out without undoing anything except the sway bar link (I honestly don't think there is enough clearance to get it out of you don't), but I wouldn't recommend it.

Here's the torn boot that started me down this road:

Both shafts are out, the replacement boots are arriving today.
I will also be replacing the steering idler arm as that currently looks like this and is super sloppy:

I can bob that up and down without much pressure at all. Thankfully, the truck came with a brand new idler arm.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
I cleaned it, which is about the only thing I've done with it since pulling it from its field-y grave a few months ago.

Before:

Hovercrap mode:

After:

Apparently I didn't take many after pics, but the sun was going down and I was tired. At least now I feel like I can touch it without gloves, which is a good start. I just hope I got all the wasp nests out.

I'm hoping that this will get me motivated to actually make forward progress on this thing instead of letting it decay further and further every year

Maybe this will be the year? :gbsmith:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

What are your plans for it?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Powershift posted:

What are your plans for it?

LM7, T56, probably F-body brakes with eventual upgrade to C6 (whatever will fit in 17s), then once it's running and driving do body/paint as needed. Goal is a cool/fun daily driver. So kinda like pro touring, but the opposite of both of those words. Or a resto mod but going real light on the "resto"

doogle
May 24, 2003

I have a set of front 4 pot Brembo calipers from a Chevy SS (same as gen 1 CTS-V) I’ll sell you pretty cheap. I upgraded to 6 pot v2 front brakes and they are just sitting in my garage.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Finally got round to swapping in the new suspension I got for my Alfa Romeo MiTo. Out with the aftermarket Koni Yellows that came with it and in with the low mileage Koni FSDs that came with the top of the line QV model. Had some surface rust from where the spring rubs the mount etc, so cleaned it up, rust converted and resprayed it. Looks almost new. Hopefully it rides better now. I didn't enjoy the Koni Yellows as it made the car kinda crashy, even on the softest setting. Next job is the putting on the new brake discs and service the calipers, but that will have to wait for a bit.
Really enjoyed having the newly bought Quickjack for this job, as 1. I have much more room. 2. The whole car gets lifted. 3. I can work outside under a tent instead of in a cramped garage. Much better ergonomics as well.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

doogle posted:

I have a set of front 4 pot Brembo calipers from a Chevy SS (same as gen 1 CTS-V) I’ll sell you pretty cheap. I upgraded to 6 pot v2 front brakes and they are just sitting in my garage.

Don't think those fit anything <18", assuming using ctsv sized (enormous 14") rotors.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Suburban Dad posted:

Don't think those fit anything <18", assuming using ctsv sized (enormous 14") rotors.

Yup. I'd like to go up from the F-body 2 pots to the big CTS-V 4s on my Nova, but I'd need to go up to 18" and that's just not in the cards right now.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

doogle posted:

This is real tempting, but I was dead set on using 17x9 soft 8s. I haven't found an 18" wheel that looks right on a classic and also isn't worth more than the rest of the car. I wonder if they can be lego'd with a smaller rotor to fit.

doogle
May 24, 2003

Raluek posted:

This is real tempting, but I was dead set on using 17x9 soft 8s. I haven't found an 18" wheel that looks right on a classic and also isn't worth more than the rest of the car. I wonder if they can be lego'd with a smaller rotor to fit.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes/1521231-f-body-cts-v-calipers-14-rotors-17-rims.html

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

That's a lot more minor than I was expecting. Gives me some hope!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Put the passenger seat back in the gf's Camry.
No more chaffuer mode.