Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Jerry Cotton posted:

Was this in the bootleg #5 album because I don't remember it?

Cojawfee posted:

How many dozens of eggs did he eat beforehand?

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/disney-world-gaston-actor-dead-806834

quote:

Devon Staples attempted to launch a firework off of his head on Saturday in Maine and died instantly. Staples used to work at Disney World in Orlando and would dress up as Gaston and Goofy.

The 22-year-old lit up a reloadable fireworks mortar tube that was on his head while celebrating the Fourth of July with friends in Calais, Maine.

"Apparently, he thought that was a great idea," said Stephen McCausland, a spokesman for the state Department of Public Safety. "His friends said they thought they had dissuaded him from doing it, and the next thing they knew, he ignited the fireworks and he was killed instantly."

The man's brother, Cody, said the incident was a "freak accident" and he doesn't think Devon intended to light the firework.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Who the gently caress is Disney Gaston or did they buy Dupuis?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ExecuDork posted:

Are phrases like "should have known" loaded with specific legal meaning in cases like this? That report is utterly damning, and I hope the various companies named are sued out of existence and the people are subject to prison sentences. gently caress those guys.

Not sure about whether those words have *specific* meaning, but the report as a whole would be considered an expert analysis and I would bet the "should have known" would be accepted as "an average civil engineer would have this knowledge".

I think jail time might be a tough row to hoe. If I recall correctly the Hyatt Walkway collapse didn't end with any jail-time, but they got destroyed in civil court, all the engineers involved that put their signatures on anything had their state licenses revoked (in some cases I think multiple states) and the building and engineering firms themselves had their license to do business yanked as well.

Jerry Cotton posted:

From Beauty and the Beast.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

ExecuDork posted:

This week, I added a new chemical to the chems we keep in the lab, potassium phosphate monobasic. My coworker reminded me to print and file the MSDS for it, so I did that. The binder with MSDS has only 28 entries, just slipped into a plastic sleeve where there's room, and indexed at the front. The facing page from my essentially completely harmless entry (1, 0, 1, 0 on the diamond, clockwise from far left, it's a very stable salt that decomposes to harmless things at ridiculously high temperatures) is for Chlorine. Not some compound of Chlorine, but apparently the gas. This implies there's a cylinder of toxic gas somewhere in the lab.

It beats the alternative of having something you don't know about! I effectively started from scratch with our SDS folders the first time I went to update them - the printouts weren't so bad, but the computer version had tens of thousands of individual listings because the previous person had somehow added every possible brand/variant for a given chemical when they couldn't find a perfect match.

I work in a school science lab and could :justpost: but most stories boil down to "people take shortcuts but nothing goes wrong and I put another frowny face in the logbook when I find out" with the occasional "I've been here for decades and know what I'm doing, things were organised fine before you moved it all, I just want the potassium dichromate, what do you mean 'why'?". But the wooden Flammable Solids cupboard is still standing after who knows how many decades, so things can't be that bad.

Necrosaro
Dec 31, 2008

A Necrosaro Appears!
Fun Shoe
I'm in Paulsboro New Jersey right now at work and I think I just saw an oil refinery across the Delaware River near Philadelphia explode. It had very bright flames coming of the flare towers which is not that unusual but then a giant fireball erupted from inside. Anyone hear anything about this yet?

Necrosaro
Dec 31, 2008

A Necrosaro Appears!
Fun Shoe
It just get the news Sunoco oil refinery in Philadelphia had multiple explosions starting right before 4 a.m. .

https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/PHI-NEW-Watch-Now-NBC10-News-Live-269223181.html?_osource=SocialFlowTwt_PHBrand

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Necrosaro posted:

It just get the news Sunoco oil refinery in Philadelphia had multiple explosions starting right before 4 a.m. .

https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/PHI-NEW-Watch-Now-NBC10-News-Live-269223181.html?_osource=SocialFlowTwt_PHBrand

loving Iran :argh:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Necrosaro posted:

One time we had a proctor call us from a testing site saying "Hey, I just got here and there's a bunch of debris being cleaned up and a memorial on the side of the road?"

Turns out we had unknowingly been asked to do testing at a refinery that had blown up and killed about a dozen people earlier that month. The company decided that it wasn't worth stopping certifying their crane operators so they just kept it open as a test site.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

One time we had a proctor call us from a testing site saying "Hey, I just got here and there's a bunch of debris being cleaned up and a memorial on the side of the road?"

Turns out we had unknowingly been asked to do testing at a refinery that had blown up and killed about a dozen people earlier that month. The company decided that it wasn't worth stopping certifying their crane operators so they just kept it open as a test site.

Capitalism is grand

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

https://twitter.com/1nicetownbean/status/1141991802888708096
kaboooom

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsU9VL4TZSI

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah but it's always sunoco in Philadelphia

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

moist turtleneck posted:

Yeah but it's always sunoco in Philadelphia
:golfclap:

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I wouldn't count on that place being safe at all, they filed for bankruptcy last year.

https://247wallst.com/energy-business/2018/01/22/philadelphia-refinery-files-for-chapter-11-protection/

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Proteus Jones posted:

Not sure about whether those words have *specific* meaning, but the report as a whole would be considered an expert analysis and I would bet the "should have known" would be accepted as "an average civil engineer would have this knowledge".
Criminal charges would be tough but if Florida has a "recklessly negligent" manslaughter statute (or "gross criminal negligence" for non-fatalities) then that's a valid question to ask in an indictment. The general standard for recklessness is knowing that your behavior (or that you owe a general duty to that effect) which can harm someone but then didn't give a poo poo. The standard example is driving down a road at 110MPH and hitting a child; you didn't intend to kill her but you have a duty and obligation to drive in a manner which the "reasonable operator" would choose to minimize the chances of a collision. So in a sense, "should have known" would have a legal effect in any proceeding -- if someone can show that the standards of an ordinary licensed practitioner would have been to act on this knowledge, AND that this practitioner failed in a basic aspect of their job to stay informed, well, we're gonna treat it as if you did know and thus failed to act in a potentially life-threatening situation. As a licensed engineer it is appropriate to ask, was this inaction a case of such gross recklessness that it "shocks the normal conscience"? That's likely only something a jury trial can resolve.

It's like being called out by a cop for speeding. "Did you know how fast you were going?" "No, I didn't" is a lame excuse because an ordinary vehicle has an easy means of determining this, so any operator should know at all times how fast they're going.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

kw0134 posted:

Criminal charges would be tough but if Florida has a "recklessly negligent" manslaughter statute (or "gross criminal negligence" for non-fatalities) then that's a valid question to ask in an indictment. The general standard for recklessness is knowing that your behavior (or that you owe a general duty to that effect) which can harm someone but then didn't give a poo poo.

This is what got that cop at Stoneman Douglas indicted. General doctrine for mass shootings after Columbine is to immediately charge in and take down the shooter(s); Columbine had such a high body count because the police were using outdated doctrine that was designed more around dealing with organized terrorists or hostage-takers with demands for negotiation instead of someone who's just trying to kill as many people as possible, so they stayed back until the shooting ended and did a very cautious clearing of every single room and closet from one side of the school to the other before getting paramedics inside. They even went so far as to prevent students from evacuating a heavily wounded teacher in the room with them, resulting in him bleeding to death over a long period of time as nobody came to his aid.

Instead Officer Yellow-Belly not only stayed outside when he heard gunfire, but he actually ordered other cops arriving to stay outside and let the shooting happen instead of risking their lives to save the kids, which was a direct violation of his training. He's not part of the police union from what I remember so they actually let him take the fall this time.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Right, but as of this moment he's just indicted, and it's well known that any DA worth their salt can get a grand jury to indict a ham sandwich. Whether or not it changes the law, in effect, is to have a conviction and have it stick during the appeals process. Most legal experts are giving it 50/50 odds on that case and we'll see, I guess. But definitely, that case can be a template for this one.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

kw0134 posted:

Right, but as of this moment he's just indicted, and it's well known that any DA worth their salt can get a grand jury to indict a ham sandwich. Whether or not it changes the law, in effect, is to have a conviction and have it stick during the appeals process. Most legal experts are giving it 50/50 odds on that case and we'll see, I guess. But definitely, that case can be a template for this one.

Just the fact that an indictment was even made is a good sign. Ordinarily an American cop being negligent (or outright abusive) is quietly swept under the rug.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

But our officers are so brave :qq:

WilltheMagicAsian
Dec 11, 2011

:piss:

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

chitoryu12 posted:

Just the fact that an indictment was even made is a good sign.
I disagree.

Everyone hosed up all down the line and they're throwing officer Bumblefuck McDeskjob under the bus because he didn't charge into a school and John Wick the shooter.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

chitoryu12 posted:

Just the fact that an indictment was even made is a good sign. Ordinarily an American cop being negligent (or outright abusive) is quietly swept under the rug.
But there will be lasting change only if the DAs secure a conviction. An acquittal (or overturn on appeal) would mean years of prosecutorial effort for naught; that tends to have chilling effects on DAs going after people. No point in charging someone if your odds of convicting are poor, better stick to going after people with dime bags of marijuana.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I disagree.

Everyone hosed up all down the line and their throwing officer Bumblefuck McDeskjob under the bus because he didn't charge into a school and John Wick the shooter.

Yeah, that's actually what he's supposed to do. Modern doctrine for police in mass shootings is to stop the shooter ASAP instead of letting them kill everyone with impunity. Even if he didn't go in alone, he should have gone in once backup arrived. By telling the backup to stay outside and just wait for the guy to run out of ammo on children he directly contributed to their deaths through negligence.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

chitoryu12 posted:

Yeah, that's actually what he's supposed to do.
When has that ever worked?

Seriously, these are cops we're talking about. The guys who mag dump at anything that looks even vaguely threatening and hit it once.

They probably would have just killed a few more kids.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

One of my nurse friends reminded me that the medical residencies start on July 1st, and more senior doctors get holidays off. If you injure yourself on 4th of July you are getting treated by a doctor with 3 days of experience.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

kw0134 posted:

Lots of times when cops are involved and there's strong political pressure to appear to be Doing Something, a DA can get an indictment and then just punt. He's just charging for political appearances, he's not vigorously prosecuting a cop who broke the law. Then the jury finds the cop not guilty and the city can shrug and say to people "Well, we tried, take it up with the jury" even though they really didn't. But in this case even a DA who vigorously prosecutes these charges isn't on good ground. Here's the arrest warrant:

https://cbsmiami.files.wordpress.com/2019/06/arrestwarrant.pdf

The indictment was purely political and has no chance of success. It is a pretty well-established legal principle that cops do not have a duty of care; you cannot sue them when they do not come to your aid. An officer assigned to a beat that includes your street has no duty to protect you. An officer assigned to a beat that includes a school has no duty to protect people in the school. This cop was essentially on a beat coterminous with the school, that doesn't mean he has a legal duty to protect people in the school.

And even in cases where a duty of care exists, there isn't a legal requirement that you risk death or great bodily harm in order to exercise that duty. A parent frequently has a legal duty to protect their child, but the legal duty doesn't require the parent to risk his life in doing so. A doctor can have a legal duty of care towards a patient, or a day care worker towards a child in his care, but they are not required to risk their lives to fulfill that duty.

The only thing that they have a decent chance on is the perjury charge; he lied to investigators about how many shots he heard, but good luck proving the materiality of the specific number.

Peterson is essentially being prosecuted for cowardice. He is a coward, and I would be happy to see him die in a fire while firemen stand around outside the building saying it's too dangerous to go in and rescue him, but politically-motivated prosecutions for show are bad and prosecutors who engage in them should be disbarred.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
My official doctrine:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Rent-A-Cop posted:

When has that ever worked?

Seriously, these are cops we're talking about. The guys who mag dump at anything that looks even vaguely threatening and hit it once.

They probably would have just killed a few more kids.

This guy was on the scene less than a minute after the first shots.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Phanatic posted:

Lots of times when cops are involved and there's strong political pressure to appear to be Doing Something, a DA can get an indictment and then just punt. He's just charging for political appearances, he's not vigorously prosecuting a cop who broke the law. Then the jury finds the cop not guilty and the city can shrug and say to people "Well, we tried, take it up with the jury" even though they really didn't. But in this case even a DA who vigorously prosecutes these charges isn't on good ground. Here's the arrest warrant:

https://cbsmiami.files.wordpress.com/2019/06/arrestwarrant.pdf

The indictment was purely political and has no chance of success. It is a pretty well-established legal principle that cops do not have a duty of care; you cannot sue them when they do not come to your aid. An officer assigned to a beat that includes your street has no duty to protect you. An officer assigned to a beat that includes a school has no duty to protect people in the school. This cop was essentially on a beat coterminous with the school, that doesn't mean he has a legal duty to protect people in the school.

And even in cases where a duty of care exists, there isn't a legal requirement that you risk death or great bodily harm in order to exercise that duty. A parent frequently has a legal duty to protect their child, but the legal duty doesn't require the parent to risk his life in doing so. A doctor can have a legal duty of care towards a patient, or a day care worker towards a child in his care, but they are not required to risk their lives to fulfill that duty.

The only thing that they have a decent chance on is the perjury charge; he lied to investigators about how many shots he heard, but good luck proving the materiality of the specific number.

Peterson is essentially being prosecuted for cowardice. He is a coward, and I would be happy to see him die in a fire while firemen stand around outside the building saying it's too dangerous to go in and rescue him, but politically-motivated prosecutions for show are bad and prosecutors who engage in them should be disbarred.
You're confusing a generalized duty, versus the alleged specific duties that are supposedly impelled by statute, as charged by the DA. To the extent that, yes, there's no general obligation by a specific officer to assist you (a common law generalization that applies to everyone -- you are under no duty to assist someone drowning, say, even if it would cost you nothing and there is no risk to you). I do think that on the face, this is a really weak case because the statutes as I'm reading them in black law is only somewhat incidental, and I'm no expert in Florida criminal law so I don't know if there are modifying precedents in the case law. It's entirely possible there is! I dunno, and opinions are definitely split. But to say this is worthy of yanking the DA's license is :rolleyes: to me.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

kw0134 posted:

You're confusing a generalized duty,

No, as I pointed out: Even in cases where specific legal duties exist by virtue of status (like a parent) or created by statute (like for day care workers), there is no requirement to risk life or limb. There is a statutory question of whether the cop has a duty of care, whether he is a caregiver under the statute. But even if he does have a duty of care under the statute, the statute does not require him to risk his life to exercise that duty.

quote:

you are under no duty to assist someone drowning, say, even if it would cost you nothing and there is no risk to you).

Note that there are states that have duty-to-rescue laws. They require reasonable efforts, not risks to life.

quote:

I do think that on the face, this is a really weak case because the statutes as I'm reading them in black law is only somewhat incidental, and I'm no expert in Florida criminal law so I don't know if there are modifying precedents in the case law. It's entirely possible there is! I dunno, and opinions are definitely split. But to say this is worthy of yanking the DA's license is :rolleyes: to me.

I think *at best*, it is colorable.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

chitoryu12 posted:

Yeah, that's actually what he's supposed to do. Modern doctrine for police in mass shootings is to stop the shooter ASAP instead of letting them kill everyone with impunity. Even if he didn't go in alone, he should have gone in once backup arrived. By telling the backup to stay outside and just wait for the guy to run out of ammo on children he directly contributed to their deaths through negligence.

Just for information, in DC it's MPD procedure for responding officers to wait for at least one other officer and enter as a pair at minimum. I don't know offhand what the protocol is for officers detailed to a site, though. Might be a reasonably common baseline rather than literally immediately entering alone.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I guess if you didn't tell the other responding officers not to enter, that would be risking your own life somehow.

Cool opinion.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Jabor posted:

I guess if you didn't tell the other responding officers not to enter, that would be risking your own life somehow.

Cool opinion.

Read the arrest warrant. Telling the other officers not to enter has nothing to do with the charges filed, it’s not an element of what he’s accused of.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

Phanatic posted:

OSHA report on the Florida pedestrian bridge collapse is out:

https://www.osha.gov/doc/engineering/pdf/2019_r_03.pdf

Holy poo poo... that's just. Why is this not criminal negligence and prosecuted?

This also reminds me I will not be driving on the new Montreal Champlain Bridge for probably 2 months after it opens this week-end.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

EPIC fat guy vids posted:

Holy poo poo... that's just. Why is this not criminal negligence and prosecuted?

This also reminds me I will not be driving on the new Montreal Champlain Bridge for probably 2 months after it opens this week-end.

Let's also not forget that during the I-4 overhaul in Orlando they found that a pillar has a ton of cracks in it and declared "Eh, it'll be fine. It'll just be a few decades short of the century-long lifespan we wanted."

That poo poo is gonna collapse within my lifetime, mark my words.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

3.6 roentgens

not great, not terrible

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

chitoryu12 posted:

Let's also not forget that during the I-4 overhaul in Orlando they found that a pillar has a ton of cracks in it and declared "Eh, it'll be fine. It'll just be a few decades short of the century-long lifespan we wanted."

That poo poo is gonna collapse within my lifetime, mark my words.

They should rename it to the I-4 Ultimate Survival Edition

Yeah those are some pretty deep cracks based on the videos I just watch.

Legin Noslen
Sep 9, 2004
Fortified with Rhiboflavin

Jerry Cotton posted:

Wow.
Get a loving education.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

drunkill posted:

3.6 roentjawns

not great, not terrible

Translated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://i.imgur.com/7zTOhyY.mp4