Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I love every Architecture set I have, I just wish the price per piece ratio was a little better considering 90% of the pieces are usually tiny 1x1s or 1x2s or small plates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Yeah, they do seem fairly pricey. On the other hand, they aren't sold for very long and immediately go up in value. Well, many of them do. It seems they go up in value a bit more than your average set. Sets from 2016-17 are already 30-50% over retail on average. New, that is.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Big Mean Jerk posted:

This whole fiasco has really opened my eyes to how fervent people on the internet are about JP. I don’t see any of the posters here doing it, but some of the histrionics over this set on other forums are approaching Ghostbusters 2016 levels of insanity.

I don’t particularly mind them doing the gate and the little vignettes are fine, but pairing it up with a big ugly brown and beige T-Rex just makes the whole thing look boring as hell. You really needed the neon green and red of the vehicles to make the whole set pop. :shrug:

Its easy to make fun of peoples fervor on the internet about what should be pretty trivial issues but this set only exists as a fan service in the first place. Its a scene from the original JP movie and it is made for AFOLs yet it does not contain 2 of the main features all the AFOLs wanted in the first place so why does this set even exist.

I don't care at all about JP and will never buy this set yet i can understand peoples frustration. The set looks like garbage.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
The Trex apparently has a tiny frog hidden inside it as a shout out to the frog DNA used in the movie. That's great. :)

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

deoju posted:

Brooding on a rooftop is the definitive image of Batman imo.

A good set.

Agreed, I like it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Ineptitude posted:

Its easy to make fun of peoples fervor on the internet about what should be pretty trivial issues but this set only exists as a fan service in the first place. Its a scene from the original JP movie and it is made for AFOLs yet it does not contain 2 of the main features all the AFOLs wanted in the first place so why does this set even exist.

I don't care at all about JP and will never buy this set yet i can understand peoples frustration. The set looks like garbage.

not only that but it doesn't look like the movie t-rex in the first place. WHY EVEN BOTHER! They had the pick of the litter with iconic scenes to go with from the movie and they went with none of them, AND it's not a good set! it's just baffling!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Invictus posted:

not only that but it doesn't look like the movie t-rex in the first place. WHY EVEN BOTHER! They had the pick of the litter with iconic scenes to go with from the movie and they went with none of them, AND it's not a good set! it's just baffling!

Feels like someone made a dinosaur and someone else was like hey this will sell more if we slap a licenced IP on it

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I hope it fails and bombs.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Vintersorg posted:

I hope it fails and bombs.

And then they will learn exactly the wrong lessons from it.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

The Bloop posted:

Feels like someone made a dinosaur and someone else was like hey this will sell more if we slap a licenced IP on it

I think you are completely right based on the interview I read. In my mind what happened is they fell in love with the T-Rex, but its size made it unusable for any other sets. They aren't making a 10k piece visitor center that would be big enough to display the dinosaur in, but they also wanted to sucker people in with the minifigs so they slapped in the terrible vignettes. To me this is one of Lego's more cynical sets. It's garbage, but a lot of people will buy it just for the minifigs and dinosaur.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Heh, cynical is the word my bf used too. He's not really interested in Lego, but I still showed him the JP set, and he called it boring and cynically produced.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

The_Doctor posted:

Heh, cynical is the word my bf used too. He's not really interested in Lego, but I still showed him the JP set, and he called it boring and cynically produced.

Brickset had to go so far as to ban negative discussion of the set. Must be nice to get "review" copies of every lego set before they are released.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Best part of it is if it was just a creator set of a dinosaur people would loving love it.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Neat.
https://i.imgur.com/hp9ofHY.mp4

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/AliceAvizandum/status/1141547556322852864?s=19

It's legit funny/terrifying that the militarization of the police over the decades is reflected in minifigs.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Honestly other than the final one with the tac vest it just looks like increasing detail to me.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah I'm not seeing it at all tbh except in the last one.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I still have one of these guys somewhere

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

What the hell is that?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
poo poo, I got a bunch of the old style mini and maxi figs.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah I'm not seeing it at all tbh except in the last one.

Really? Its pretty loving clear to me.

#1: Friendly person I can talk to if I get lost on my way to school
#2: Added helmet for protection against undesirables. Sunglasses to hide face while giving out beatings.
#3: Grimacing face. Gloved hands to protect against assailants blood
#4: Soldier ready to shoot any unarmed civilians who pose a possible threat to my personal safety.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
ALCAB

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Granite Octopus posted:

#2: Added helmet for protection against undesirables. Sunglasses to hide face while giving out beatings.
#4: Soldier ready to shoot any unarmed civilians who pose a possible threat to my personal safety.

:rolleyes: yeah I guess if you project things onto them that you just randomly made up it does look pretty bad.

E: You know those second two are both motorcycle cop characters right?

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jun 21, 2019

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Wow, it's weird when something like this shows up. I personally know the guy that did that and have seen it both at his house and at a show (BrickConNZ in Palmerston North, New Zealand about three weeks ago). It's even cooler in person!

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Granite Octopus posted:

1: policeman
2: policeman who drives a motorcycle and wears a helmet for safety.
3: yet another motorcycle cop?
4: bomb squad/ riot squad and they cherry picked a grimace face.

I’m calling that a reach.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I don't think the point was the Lego. The Lego were only being used to illustrate the police state in which most of us live.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Needs more lasers! But it's glorious!

deoju posted:

https://twitter.com/AliceAvizandum/status/1141547556322852864?s=19

It's legit funny/terrifying that the militarization of the police over the decades is reflected in minifigs.

The difference between 2 and 3 isn't that big. They just got a new uniform and some swanky new glasses.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

s.i.r.e. posted:

What the hell is that?

Pre-minifig minifig

No joints, no real limbs, no face
USE YOUR IMAGINATION

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

The Bloop posted:

Pre-minifig minifig

No joints, no real limbs, no face
USE YOUR IMAGINATION

I've got a bunch, I should post them. Some of the old sets are pricey in Bricklink.

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

veni veni veni posted:

:rolleyes: yeah I guess if you project things onto them that you just randomly made up it does look pretty bad.

E: You know those second two are both motorcycle cop characters right?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Waltzing Along posted:

I don't think the point was the Lego. The Lego were only being used to illustrate the police state in which most of us live.
I don’t argue our actual societal state. The point seemed very much about the lego reflecting that and I’m saying it was reaching to make those conclusions. :)

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

What even...?

tactical_grace
Oct 18, 2004

General Contact Unit
(Escarpment Class)

s.i.r.e. posted:

What the hell is that?

A Lego cop from before they were armed :rimshot:

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Nah we all know the descent into fascism is mirrored by the Milwaukee Bucks logo

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

So there’s a Technic Land Rover Defender coming out very soon.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

For a Technic set that looks fantastic

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Objection! The superlaser wasn't anywhere near the trench used for Trench Run, and the Executor crashed into the second Death Star, which didn't involve a trench run!
To say nothing of the horribly incorrect scaling!
:goonsay:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The Death Star didn't have choo choo train tracks either. My immersion!

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Pyroclastic posted:

Objection! The superlaser wasn't anywhere near the trench used for Trench Run, and the Executor crashed into the second Death Star, which didn't involve a trench run!
To say nothing of the horribly incorrect scaling!
:goonsay:

Ugghh. I'm ashamed to admit that I had both of these thoughts. At least I kept them to myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Inspired by my sister, I'm clearing out my crawlspace and putting everything up on my Bricklink store. I've got most of it up so far, please take a look:
https://store.bricklink.com/PropMod

Unlike my sister's store, I'm offering Goon discounts and package deals, just message me here on SA. If you are in the Boston area and want to come pick it up, the deals get even better.
Lots of New Sealed In Box sets, as well as Complete Used sets. More to come as I double check the completeness of some sets.

I have a question, though...
My sister gave me her "Harry Potter Christmas Train" to sell. It's what she used to put around the base of their Christmas tree.

The base train set is: 4708 Hogwarts Express (2001)
https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?S=4708-1

However, what she gave me was a working electrified version, along with a big circular track (16 curved pieces).
I'm pretty sure this is what I have:
4548 Transformer and Speed Regulator
5300 Electric Train Motor
4520 Curved Rails x2 (Each set is 8)
some additional pieces to convert the engine, and a spare magnet coupler assembly

Should I try and sell this all as a package?
Or just list the component sets separately, and hang on to the spare elements?