Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
They pushed back the shopping cart feature on their Trello

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Hakkesshu posted:

They still don't have a shopping cart

Which is hilarious because the engine asset store that served as the framework for EGS does.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

EGS is poo poo. Steam is poo poo, but it’s much better poo poo. And piracy is worse than both because it helps no one and actively hurts game development. I doubt boycotting would do much good either because it’s a dumb industry where instead of re-evaluating how game companies do business, they’ll just stop taking risks and make even more boring run of the mill games because of lost sales.

I’m going to probably buy RG:O twice. I do that with some franchises already where it’s more convenient on Steam, but I like the added goodies and having a DRM free version from GOG just in case.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Hakkesshu posted:

They still don't have a shopping cart

To be fair, Origin doesn't have one either :v:

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Could someone who gives a poo poo explain why Steam doesn’t either a) also do exclusives or b) drop their 30% cut a little.

Everyone seems to be treating Epic as if they’ve invented and patented the idea of exclusives and paying the developers more money, with the industry powerless to do anything in retaliation. If a guy starts a fight by trying to kick you in the balls, you know the fight isn’t going to be fair, and you adjust your strategy accordingly.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Torquemada posted:

Could someone who gives a poo poo explain why Steam doesn’t either a) also do exclusives or b) drop their 30% cut a little.

Everyone seems to be treating Epic as if they’ve invented and patented the idea of exclusives and paying the developers more money, with the industry powerless to do anything in retaliation. If a guy starts a fight by trying to kick you in the balls, you know the fight isn’t going to be fair, and you adjust your strategy accordingly.
What, do you actually want Steam exclusives? Exclusives are bad no matter who does it, with the caveat being that they're admittedly understandable and unsurprising when the platform's actually funding the development, e.g. first or second-party games.

Anyway, not gonna pirate RGO because why bother I have other games to play, but not gonna buy it until it comes out on Steam/GOG/maybe even the Windows store. Them's the breaks.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Torquemada posted:

Valve hardly "do" anything, much less respond with drastic measures when the viability of Epic as a platform is still up in the air. They may be looking to 6 months from now when exclusivity starts to run out to see how well these games do as the "relaunch" on Steam. If those games still sell well then I don't think they will see a reason to do much.

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012

Torquemada posted:

they dont need to do either because of their giant market share

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Steam provides ready made plug and play networking, matchmaking, patching, social features, etc.

It's not just a store front, pretending that Big Mean Gabe is swallowing up all the money from Poor Innocent Developers while offering nothing in return is precisely the bullshit marketing line Epic has been pushing to excuse their anti-consumer behavior. Valve is not your friend at all, but Epic is actively antagonistic to your interests as a consumer and excusing or supporting Epic is stupid as poo poo.

Developers are going to Epic because of the bags of cash Epic is effectively tossing around as part of the contracts, why else would a company limit their potential sales by being exclusive to a single unpopular platform?

As to the piracy hurts the industry line, that's been bullshit since the days of the RIAA whining about people taping radio broadcasts or copying cassettes, and repeating it like a brainless shill doesn't make it true.

If you don't care about any of this, that's cool, it's ultimately just dumb video games, you do you. But there are some very mad, very stupid game industry fanboys in this thread who don't seem capable of understanding that profit seeking companies are not their friends and are not entitled to jack poo poo. Stop defending companies.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Wheeee posted:

Steam provides ready made plug and play networking, matchmaking, patching, social features, etc.

It's not just a store front, pretending that Big Mean Gabe is swallowing up all the money from Poor Innocent Developers while offering nothing in return is precisely the bullshit marketing line Epic has been pushing to excuse their anti-consumer behavior. Valve is not your friend at all, but Epic is actively antagonistic to your interests as a consumer and excusing or supporting Epic is stupid as poo poo.

Developers are going to Epic because of the bags of cash Epic is effectively tossing around as part of the contracts, why else would a company limit their potential sales by being exclusive to a single unpopular platform?

As to the piracy hurts the industry line, that's been bullshit since the days of the RIAA whining about people taping radio broadcasts or copying cassettes, and repeating it like a brainless shill doesn't make it true.

If you don't care about any of this, that's cool, it's ultimately just dumb video games, you do you. But there are some very mad, very stupid game industry fanboys in this thread who don't seem capable of understanding that profit seeking companies are not their friends and are not entitled to jack poo poo. Stop defending companies.

I'm not understanding where you're coming from. Your second paragraph defends Steam. Your last paragraph says, basically, not to defend companies that don't care about you. So I'm confused?

I don't think anyone is arguing that Epic isn't in fact worse than Steam. But how much that bothers people is up to the individual and no one is going to talk someone else out of their mindset.

fargom
Mar 21, 2007
Rebel Galaxy Outlaw looks cool and rad, so I'm gonna go ahead and buy it the moment it releases and give zero fucks about EGS ~~exclusive~~ or not. That's my story, I hope you have a wonderful Friday goons.

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013

fargom posted:

Rebel Galaxy Outlaw looks cool and rad, so I'm gonna go ahead and buy it the moment it releases and give zero fucks about EGS ~~exclusive~~ or not. That's my story, I hope you have a wonderful Friday goons.

same

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I mean, I'm waiting for it to hit anything but Epic both because gently caress Epic but also because the first Rebel Galaxy was actually pretty mediocre so while this is looking cool, I can be patient.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

RBA Starblade posted:

I mean, I'm waiting for it to hit anything but Epic both because gently caress Epic but also because the first Rebel Galaxy was actually pretty mediocre so while this is looking cool, I can be patient.

Introduced me to Blues Saraceno, though, so I can forgive a lot :v:

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

I shitposted in the same thread for 2 years and all I got was this red text av. Ask me about my autism!

College Slice

Wheeee posted:

Does EGS really not push patches? Is it just assumed at this point that developers will include an update process in the game itself?

That said, a kinda lovely version of Facebook Messenger isn't worth points off the top in a world with Discord, and matchmaking is literally worthless to single player games. Like the one this thread is about.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

I ride bikes all day posted:

Does EGS really not push patches? Is it just assumed at this point that developers will include an update process in the game itself?

EGS does patches just fine, wheee is an idiot.

e: Like, if the argument is that all big companies are terrible (which I'm down with), wouldn't that be a reason to pick the one that gets less of your money? Or you can pirate all your games, and stop posting about it altogether.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jun 21, 2019

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
EGS patches fine, when I remember to run it. The handful of games I have from there don't need the launcher at all to play.

I don't want it starting with my computer as I'd rather not have Epic data harvesting (I let very little run at startup, it's not unique.)

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

I have no horse in the race between gabe newell and tim sweeney's bags of too much money, but holy poo poo please be careful with your personal information on EGS. Tencent is one hundred percent not a company you want to have slinging your info around, and any arguments about epic's bullshit should be focused waaaaay more on that instead of its ineptitude as a storefront.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

Actually you're stupid stop questioning things and throw money at video games

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Torquemada posted:

Because you don't negotiate with terrorists, to borrow a phrase. Exclusives are bad for the platform. Valve cares about the platform, so they don't do exclusives. As for dropping their cut, Valve thinks Steam is worth a 30% cut (which is already reduced beyond a certain amount of copies sold anyway) and the PC sales numbers agree with them. Steam provides a lot of utility, why should that utility be free? Especially when other places charging 30% provide far less (all the consoles for example).

Why is Steam, the place where most of your games copies are sold and which provides the user and developer a vast array of extra features, charging 30% (only on sales directly on the platform - you can sell as many copies that still benefit from the platform at 0% cut as you want everywhere else!) "too much", and Nintendo charging 30% for being on the Switch perfectly ok?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Psycho Landlord posted:

I have no horse in the race between gabe newell and tim sweeney's bags of too much money, but holy poo poo please be careful with your personal information on EGS. Tencent is one hundred percent not a company you want to have slinging your info around, and any arguments about epic's bullshit should be focused waaaaay more on that instead of its ineptitude as a storefront.

This is a tough avenue for criticism because we simply do not know the extent of Tencent's involvement in the company. We of course know that Tencent is insanely bad, and that they have their fingers in a shitload of pies, but the general refrain from non-Chinese companies that have been acquired by them seems to be that they are quite hands off and are more than happy to sit back and reap the rewards of their investments passively. When you look at the type of game companies that they seek stake in, that makes sense, as they tend to want to invest into companies that are already super successful, can operate autonomously, but that need an inroad to the Chinese market. They only really seem to exert their influence in major ways when it comes to versions of games specifically released for China, for obvious reasons. This isn't to say that Epic's (or any company's) involvement with Tencent doesn't deserve some side-eyeing, but its just hard to form a cogent argument when the specifics are so murky.

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

I shitposted in the same thread for 2 years and all I got was this red text av. Ask me about my autism!

College Slice

DatonKallandor posted:

Because you don't negotiate with terrorists

New thread title:

Rebel Galaxy Online - Epic Game Store is a Terrorist

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

MMF Freeway posted:

This is a tough avenue for criticism because we simply do not know the extent of Tencent's involvement in the company. We of course know that Tencent is insanely bad, and that they have their fingers in a shitload of pies, but the general refrain from non-Chinese companies that have been acquired by them seems to be that they are quite hands off and are more than happy to sit back and reap the rewards of their investments passively. When you look at the type of game companies that they seek stake in, that makes sense, as they tend to want to invest into companies that are already super successful, can operate autonomously, but that need an inroad to the Chinese market. They only really seem to exert their influence in major ways when it comes to versions of games specifically released for China, for obvious reasons. This isn't to say that Epic's (or any company's) involvement with Tencent doesn't deserve some side-eyeing, but its just hard to form a cogent argument when the specifics are so murky.

Racism is a glue that can tie the most flimsy of arguments together.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

orange juche posted:

:jerkbag:

I'm mostly just being a dick here, but you are genuinely stupid.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Wheeee posted:

:jerkbag:

I'm mostly just being a dick here, but you are genuinely stupid.

Nah dude most people's argument against Tencent is tied together by fear of THE CHINESE. They do nothing that is worse than Google and Facebook and Amazon, and yet people in the US at least are completely oblivious or don't care about those three companies running huge data harvesting ops that national governments would loving kill to be able to run, because the laws governing companies are much looser than governments.

They're perfectly happy to purchase a stake in a company and then just sit back and collect money for nothing at all, as most investors do, they're not doing anything nefarious with user data, and all the stupid loving infographics about Tencent stealing all your data I've seen can be debunked by anyone who knows poo poo about computers. (sidenote, most of the infographics i've seen regarding that are sprinkled with hyperbole and racist epithets too, so the makers of them are both dumb and racist as gently caress)

orange juche fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jun 21, 2019

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

orange juche posted:

orange juche posted:

I knew someone was gonna do it, thanks for being the one

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Goddamn a hundred unread posts in a thread about a game I'd really like to play and it's all nerds arguing about loving game storefronts. Shut the gently caress up!

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
I'm quite keen on moddability (Star Warzzzz) and that painting tool also.

Storefront discussion only means that the game is interesting which is good.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

orange juche posted:

Nah dude most people's argument against Tencent is tied together by fear of THE CHINESE. They do nothing that is worse than Google and Facebook and Amazon, and yet people in the US at least are completely oblivious or don't care about those three companies running huge data harvesting ops that national governments would loving kill to be able to run, because the laws governing companies are much looser than governments.

They're perfectly happy to purchase a stake in a company and then just sit back and collect money for nothing at all, as most investors do, they're not doing anything nefarious with user data, and all the stupid loving infographics about Tencent stealing all your data I've seen can be debunked by anyone who knows poo poo about computers. (sidenote, most of the infographics i've seen regarding that are sprinkled with hyperbole and racist epithets too, so the makers of them are both dumb and racist as gently caress)

"It's okay to not give a poo poo about your data potentially falling into a known miner's hands because Amazon and Google are just as bad" is certainly a take, dude. Might as well just throw caution to the wind then, huh? Those companies suck rear end and should be dissolved too, the difference is they aren't directly applicable to the conversation we're having. I appreciate your attempt to read a racist defense into other people's statements despite not knowing a thing about who they are though.

Also you're a giant loving rear end in a top hat who is potentially doing a lot of harm with your bullshit and you don't know poo poo about "computers."

Psycho Landlord fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jun 21, 2019

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
Jesus gently caress people, what is this, a reddit thread?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Someone just post the Sonic meme about ethical consumption under capitalism and make distributionchat probatable, please

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Samopsa posted:

Goddamn a hundred unread posts in a thread about a game I'd really like to play and it's all nerds arguing about loving game storefronts. Shut the gently caress up!

I’d really like to play it too, but it’s two months away on Epic and fourteen months away on other platforms. This thread, barring additional dev information, will bicker about this poo poo for two more months.
At that point, all the people who don’t give a gently caress who gets their money will start posting about how great the game is, with spoilers and strategies aplenty. The other faction will seethe for a year while repeatedly castigating the buyers for their support of Epic.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

Torquemada posted:

I’d really like to play it too, but it’s two months away on Epic and fourteen months away on other platforms. This thread, barring additional dev information, will bicker about this poo poo for two more months.
At that point, all the people who don’t give a gently caress who gets their money will start posting about how great the game is, with spoilers and strategies aplenty. The other faction will seethe for a year while repeatedly castigating the buyers for their support of Epic.

Please use spoiler tags thx.

Two months? Did they give a release date? Ohmygoodness.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
as far as i know the latest date given was 'summer' and from recent reports (thanks, bob socko!) they're in the final polish stages, so it could be sooner

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I heard by the end of summer in this thread, unless I’m more mistaken than a man who believes Hilaire Belloc is still alive.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Torquemada posted:

Or just... gonna. Not buy it right away?

I’m not exactly frothing with rage here, I just don’t trust the Chinese government even the tiniest bit (their utter lack of interest in little old me is noted), and Tencent is extremely in bed with said government on the whole surveillance state thing, by choice or not

Also there was an EGS thread but it died on the vine for whatever sociodynamic drat reason, so shrug, I’ll poo poo out posts where the convo is

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

orange juche posted:

Yes, there is no outcry about those non-Tencent companies harvesting user data at all. No siree. It's not like they've been in front of the US senate beause of it, and are under investigation by multiple government across the world.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

DatonKallandor posted:

Yes, there is no outcry about those non-Tencent companies harvesting user data at all. No siree. It's not like they've been in front of the US senate beause of it, and are under investigation by multiple government across the world.

Having the Zuck prove he is an android with functions approximating human emotion brings me joy, but people still willingly walk around with wiretaps in their pockets that are sniffing up all the data related to their existence.

The only true solution to avoid someone harvesting your data is to move into the woods, cut all your phone lines and wipe your butt with leaves.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

The "There is no such thing as ethical consumption under capitalism" line is not saying that all consumption is equally unethical and that nothing matters, it is a repudiation of the idea that one can make "ethical" choices in their consumption of products and services provided by corporations. A short example: https://youtu.be/P18UK5IMRDI

Costco is quite clearly a lesser evil to support than Walmart, but that doesn't make shopping at Costco a positive act in itself.

And yes this is a thread about an inconsequential video game, but this is a video game forum, and so here we are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Torquemada posted:

Hionestly, given "exclusives" like Metro Exodus and Phoenix Point, it might be considerably less than 14 months...