Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Kurtofan posted:

lol that flavor text

I wish it had last words at the end tho :(

It's a birdemic!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I'd be willing to bet Wizards just doesn't do anything with Kaladesh/Amonkhet at first to avoid the ugliness of having to talk about bannings when rolling out a new format to fairly new players.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Sickening posted:

All these modern cards showing up in m20 gives me the feeling that we are about to see a slow trickle of modern legal cards into arena standard with each standard set release. I don't think the bubble is going to burst on modern cards quickly, but the writing has been on the wall. You don't want to be holding the bag on a big collection in modern in paper if its value means anything to you.

Of course you could get lucky and the modern cards you are holding on to is part of the released into arena modern, but that seems risky. At best you see the prices fall with full print runs in standard. There is no point in holding on to mox opals and the like if you don't actively play them.

I generally agree with this but I think
1. It's going to be a very slow rollout of current Modern staples.
2. Not everything will appear in Arena Modern, fetches being the big one in my mind. Maaaaaybe Prismatic Vista gets printed into Standard at some point since it can only grab one basic land type at a time.

But yes, I think on a long-enough timescale Arena Modern is going to look a lot like paper Modern, but more streamlined (for lack of a better term).

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

C-Euro posted:

I generally agree with this but I think
1. It's going to be a very slow rollout of current Modern staples.
2. Not everything will appear in Arena Modern, fetches being the big one in my mind. Maaaaaybe Prismatic Vista gets printed into Standard at some point since it can only grab one basic land type at a time.

But yes, I think on a long-enough timescale Arena Modern is going to look a lot like paper Modern, but more streamlined (for lack of a better term).

I think fetches are the safest bet actually. Shuffling isn't a problem on the client and tutoring is a thing they continue to print. They also make a set from a hype standpoint almost completely alone.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Sickening posted:

I think fetches are the safest bet actually. Shuffling isn't a problem on the client and tutoring is a thing they continue to print. They also make a set from a hype standpoint almost completely alone.

There was that tweet from Gavin asking about potential alternatives to land tutoring (none of which involved searching your library), and I think they have moved away a little bit from blanket library searches and more towards "look at the top X cards of your library" effects, though there are obvious exceptions.

I think it depends on whether or not they try to push Arena Modern in paper. If they only promote it online then yeah let's go nuts with fetchlands. But if it's in paper there will still be people who get annoyed by frequent library searching and shuffling, which I think is something that Wizards says they are continuing to monitor.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Sickening posted:

Except Maro has said about a million times that they don't want fetches in Standard or any new eternal format.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
I think they're also reticent to add fetches into a format that already has shocks since it makes mana too consistent.

Re. Bannings I wouldn't be surprised if they basically added the new sets in without the banned cards so you never opened them (e.g. there's zero chance Felidar Guardian makes it in unbanned)

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Katana Gomai posted:

Except Maro has said about a million times that they don't want fetches in Standard or any new eternal format.

Remember when protection was never coming back? They have went back on about every statement like this. Stop taking this stuff as gospel, especially if it comes from Maro.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, fetches are never coming back to Standard until one day some fall set is doing bad impressions internally and Scalding Tarn is $120 and they pull the trigger anyway.

e: I typed this before I actually looked up the price of Tarn, which CFB has at exactly $120 lol.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

C-Euro posted:

There was that tweet from Gavin asking about potential alternatives to land tutoring (none of which involved searching your library), and I think they have moved away a little bit from blanket library searches and more towards "look at the top X cards of your library" effects, though there are obvious exceptions.

I think it depends on whether or not they try to push Arena Modern in paper. If they only promote it online then yeah let's go nuts with fetchlands. But if it's in paper there will still be people who get annoyed by frequent library searching and shuffling, which I think is something that Wizards says they are continuing to monitor.

Again, standard already has library searching and shuffling in every release. If this really is a mechanic they are wanting to go away from they aren't doing a good job at it.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Sickening posted:

Remember when protection was never coming back? They have went back on about every statement like this. Stop taking this stuff as gospel, especially if it comes from Maro.

Maro never said that though

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

quote:

Shared Summons
3GG
Instant
Search your library for up to two Creature cards with different names, reveal them, and put them into your hand. Then shuffle your library.
They're attacking in a straight line
They're drawing through a tight wind
The kids are losing their life

quote:

"Cheeky Thief"
2B
Creature - Human Rogue
Whenever Cheeky Thief attacks, draw a card and lose 1 life.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Arena wouldn't even need a Standard+ if there was a way to convert cards into wildcards or something.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
So it's Tooth and Nail without the part that makes it worth playing Tooth and Nail?

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Sickening posted:

Again, standard already has library searching and shuffling in every release. If this really is a mechanic they are wanting to go away from they aren't doing a good job at it.

There’s a huge increase in amount of searching and shuffling when every deck has 4+ cards that do it.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Kurieg posted:

Cheeky thief seems pretty loving good at common

I guess it will largely depend on how many combat tricks/counters you can put on it to get it through

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Jabor posted:

So it's Tooth and Nail without the part that makes it worth playing Tooth and Nail?

It’s an instant at least.

The thief looks stupid powerful for a common, though.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Also all the Kahns tap lands are in along with Evolving wilds. They all have a chance of showing up in the basic land slot.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Surprised about common Murder, common removal has been inching up but I didn't realize it had inched that far up

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
There are some insanely beefy commons in this set, holy poo poo

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Someone give Seb a day or two off please

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Tainen posted:

note that this doesn't target, so you can get back the creature you sacrificed

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Tainen posted:

If i'm reading this correctly this can basically be "return a creature you control to your hand, return a creature from your graveyard to the battlefield."

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Yea, the play design teams and all the cycling through pro players seems to be doing a ton to push the envelope. It’s surprisingly motivating to see them not putting out a poo poo core product

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

love too sit on two of my three colors for five turns while anxiously staring at my bomb mythic in hand and then finally casting it and having it killed by a common in response to its ETB trigger

no seriously I love that, that’s good old fashioned magic

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Tainen posted:

Seems pretty drat good. They seem to be more willing to let reanimate effects back into standard recently.

Also Murder at common? :getin:

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Tainen posted:

Two days ago someone asked MaRo this:

quote:

gynoidpoet asked: Black being part of an ETB archetype got me thinking. Could black get "sacrifice a creature, then immediately reanimate it" as a sort of black blink?

We’ve done sacrifice, then reanimate at end of turn with Rescue from the Underworld. It’s not something we do often.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Kurieg posted:

:lol:

It's pronounced "vor."

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Tainen posted:

I intend to use this card in order to reanimate Lotleth Giant and dome the opponent for a bunch

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

lol this Mythic championship clearly showing pro MTG as both Amaz and Strasky draw absolutely nothing but lands for 4 turns

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2
If any goons are at Seattle, I'm the idiot in a blue hoodie and a wizard hat.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

OfChristandMen posted:

If any goons are at Seattle, I'm the idiot in a blue hoodie and a wizard hat.

I'm milling about the convention center in a shirt that says "Ghosts are OK"

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

So is Hoggack or Alter getting banned?

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Paul Zuvella posted:

So is Hoggack or Alter getting banned?

yes

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Tainen posted: