Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.
Hing lasted almost five entire episodes before devolving back into a being of pure pettiness and bloodlust and I'm proud of him for making the attempt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Also the next streamed episode is up (featuring Jordan Raskopoulos): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxUOOi6bPEo

They seem to be kind of easily distracted by the chat for this go-round; although maybe that's just a thing that all twitch streams do, I'm just barely old enough that I don't really watch twitch much besides a few favorite people that I know from other places (and to be fair, they all do it too).

I am really enjoying Edan's delight at his own "Castle Greyhawkins, in Diana" joke

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jun 21, 2019

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
This episode is a monument to being terrible at DnD

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Drunkboxer posted:

This episode is a monument to being terrible at DnD

This might be the worst they've been punished as a group for actively bad problem solving. It's incredibly good.

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Fucking blocks... I'm gonna climb the shit outta you!
This episode was absolutely absurd. (and actually pretty tense in parts) I loved it.

If Dave had allowed this to continue, I have no doubt they would have had a total party wipe because of a bucket chain.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

geri_khan posted:

This episode was absolutely absurd. (and actually pretty tense in parts) I loved it.

If Dave had allowed this to continue, I have no doubt they would have had a total party wipe because of a bucket chain.

Yeah which made it strange that Hing was pushing for consequences at the end. Maybe he didn’t realize how close he was to death by lizardman

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
What's funny is that if Simon and Hing played even somewhat competently (a tall order, granted), they would have won the fight easily. Banknote had a necklace of fireballs and cure wounds, and Robert had Evasion and resistance to non-silvered weapons. Lizardfolk are CR 1/2; it should have been a doable fight if they were level one.

I love this show.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Drunkboxer posted:

Yeah which made it strange that Hing was pushing for consequences at the end. Maybe he didn’t realize how close he was to death by lizardman

I feel like you could almost hear Dave thinking "how can I give Hing the consequences he is demanding"

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

inthesto posted:

What's funny is that if Simon and Hing played even somewhat competently (a tall order, granted), they would have won the fight easily. Banknote had a necklace of fireballs and cure wounds, and Robert had Evasion and resistance to non-silvered weapons. Lizardfolk are CR 1/2; it should have been a doable fight if they were level one.

I love this show.

I’ve been rewatching the tomb of annihilation stream and it’s actually impressive they got as far as they did in real d&d content (unless Dave was pulling punches behind the scenes that I wouldn’t notice). The bit early on where Alex is failing to solve the “put someone on your shoulders” puzzle and you can watch as everyone but her figures it out one-by-one is real special

Ruptured Yakety Sax
Jun 8, 2012

ARE YOU AN ANGEL, BIRD??
So, do Americans have Ice Magic?

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I can't imagine a world where we have it and they don't....

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Yeah, it's called Magic Shell over here

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
The UK used to have ice magic. But has it under a different name now.

The ToA stream was quite close to the published adventure but for a few changes and letting them skip like 70% of the final dungeon.

Hing sounded genuinely upset in the last main episode. I hope its all ok offstage still.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I'm pretty sure Hing on Dragon Friends is a pro wrestling kind of act, where he exaggerates himself to make for a better show. He was on Wilosophy recent, and he reveals himself to be a super empathetic person. That and his episode on Swipe Night are both really good listens, and it clues you in that "Hing the psychopath who wants to conquer D&D and Neptune's Bounty" is mostly a character.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea Hing is pretty clearly playing up the 'are you a loving sociopath dude' elements for the bit by now, when he's not on jokey funtimes things it's pretty clear he's a weird but normal guy who has a lot of empathy for others and just kinda wants to be a big nerdy weirdo in peace more than any weird 'I MUST WIN AND PUNISH THOSE WHO STOPPED ME' thing.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Yeah FTAGH Hing and Dragon Friends Hing couldn't come across as two more different people. If there's anyone who was going to snap under the pressure and ragequit the podcast, it'd be Dave, so if he can hang everyone else can

I finished episode 2 of the stream, and they're finally almost at the part where it starts becoming stranger things-related, so they're working at a breakneck pace on that one. It's kind of jarring watching Jordan play, because she's actually quite good at D&D and swiftly makes very smart choices with her turns and it's like you're watching an entirely different podcast for a brief moment. It pairs especially well with the moment where Simon reveals that after 5 years of play, he doesn't know what hit dice are

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
Fully recommend watching with the chat open so you can see Tom Walker be exactly as obnoxious as you expect him to be.

French clown college taught him well.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

If I ever listen through bigsofttitty.png again, I'm ripping that bit where he says "I'm the Joker!"

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Ainsley McTree posted:

I finished episode 2 of the stream, and they're finally almost at the part where it starts becoming stranger things-related, so they're working at a breakneck pace on that one. It's kind of jarring watching Jordan play, because she's actually quite good at D&D and swiftly makes very smart choices with her turns and it's like you're watching an entirely different podcast for a brief moment. It pairs especially well with the moment where Simon reveals that after 5 years of play, he doesn't know what hit dice are

Similarly, big fan of the bit in Tomb of Annihilation where a fight is going poorly so Baston starts crying about how they’ve forced him to fight effectively, then performs like 4 ruthlessly efficient attacks in one turn.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

My favorite thing about the last two episodes is that it's a single night's show that goes from what is unambiguously their single smoothest encounter in the entire series (taking out the cultists), then slides down to literally doing the dead cultist's work for them before even started and then literally everything in the next episode being their absolute rock bottom.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Yeah like, I fully understand why Dave bailed them out and I love Philge and Baston as much as the next fan, but given the chain of utter fuckups - most of them intentional and totally pointless - leading to that situation, including having previously disabled two of their best NPC allies, I would not have held it against him if he'd let them all die and ended the podcast then and there.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Dave's exasperated "all you had to do was go home" as he's trying to take in the full extent of their fuckups is great.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

tsob posted:

Dave's exasperated "all you had to do was go home" as he's trying to take in the full extent of their fuckups is great.

Yeah, I'm glad I wasn't in public for that part, I couldn't stop laughing.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

tsob posted:

The best part is that this isn't even the first time it's happened, they did the exact same thing in Tomb of Annihilation

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

inthesto posted:

The best part is that this isn't even the first time it's happened, they did the exact same thing in Tomb of Annihilation

I'm rewatching that now, and despite the fact that i'm only on episode 5, I'm not sure which specific event you're talking about because it could already be referring to two different things that have happened (the paladin camp and the frog village)

The frog village might be peak dragon friends, where everything is burning down around them, frogs are sucking each other off, and they've kidnapped the heir to the throne (and then antagonized him for no apparent reason) and Alex takes a beat and goes something like "wait, why did we come here in the first place again?" while Benny quietly loses it in the background

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Just watching episode one of Tomb of Annihilation now, a few minutes in and it's nice to put faces to names. I've seen pictures of Dave, Hing and Edan before, but don't think I've ever seen Ben, Simon or Alex before. Alex looks classy as gently caress in a suit though. I'm mostly getting a good giggle out of remembering that Dave gave Baston "Handsome Man" as a custom class name. It's also making me wonder anew why Dragon Friends seems to be the only Live Play D'n'D pod/vid-cast that thought to use a bard to give live accompanying music. It's a huge audio enhancement and really helps it stand out, so you'd wonder why more groups don't do it. I'm sure it's not cheap, but surely some of the "bigger" (relative term, I know) groups like Critical Role or something could afford it.

Edit: Benny's temporary sound board having lots of "kind of close but not really" backing sound for horns and poo poo is great too.

tsob fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jun 24, 2019

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I think that Benny was a friend of the gang prior to the podcast’s inception, so they were able to get him to do it that way. I’m impressed they kept up with the whole live music thing after he left. I don’t think anyone will ever be quite as good as him (in terms of comedic timing, not just performance) but I feel like they’re getting close again in the latest season.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Part of it is that the intersection of comedy + improv + music is narrow enough that most people don't fit the bill, but there's also the fact that it's very difficult to overstate how good of a musician Benny is. Go peep his YouTube channel, he's absurdly talented.

e: There's a moment in Tomb of Annihilation where one of the players makes a throwaway joke of a specific song playing in the background and Benny immediately starts playing it. Another player then jokes that it's in the key of F minor, and Benny immediately changes keys and responds "Now it is"

inthesto fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jun 24, 2019

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

It’s a lovely little time capsule of Something Awful history. I remember Jordan posting the old Axis of Awesome videos in GBS (I think?) and Benny being part of the I initial crew was what got me interested in Dragon Friends.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
Streaming the latest podcast episode to listen to the disaster unfold a second time, and there was an ad half way through. That seems new... Or have they always been there? The ad was for something hundreds of miles away so maybe I've just been untargetted until now.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
I love the narrative moment where dave is basically tipping the dominoes

All you had to do was go home!
The fire is now beginning to lap at the outskirts of the hamlet and is going unchecked because you stopped the bucket chain!
But you're okay because you sent message to the fire warden except oh wait, you fired him and replaced him with a talking pelican you like!
If only the commander of the watch could help you, a man who is missing because you locked him downstairs for no reason!

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

LentThem posted:

But you're okay because you sent message to the fire warden except oh wait, you fired him and replaced him with a talking pelican you like!

look, say what you will about the other decisions, this one was smart

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

uvar posted:

Streaming the latest podcast episode to listen to the disaster unfold a second time, and there was an ad half way through. That seems new... Or have they always been there? The ad was for something hundreds of miles away so maybe I've just been untargetted until now.

Just about all the Australian podcasts I listen to moved to Acast a few months ago (If you check the Omny page, you'll notice it's a few episodes behind). As far as I can tell, Acast automatically injects ads into episodes, even old ones.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Stranger Things stream wrapped up today, and in the post-stream they revealed the new characters for the Freezo side story:

https://twitter.com/drgnfrnds/status/1146756209149505536

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Fucking blocks... I'm gonna climb the shit outta you!
Stranger Things stream was fun. The players deciding that its more important to kill Hopper than the Demogorgon shouldn't be a surprise I guess. I suppose they're now just trapped forever in Indiana in 1985.

New characters look pretty good. Bushu is an inspired choice. Bethanee seems fun and somewhat worrying in the eyes. Kit seems extremely cuddly.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
New episode just dropped https://play.acast.com/s/dragonfriends/a40112b2-5f31-4bce-aeae-0f8104c5e50d

There's yet another amazing "Hing is not a very bright boy" moment about 15 minutes in

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Does the Stranger Things boxset really send the PCs to the modern day?

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Finally caught up on the Stranger Things streams, and one of the funniest things I've seen this year is the twist being ruined because Alex previously insisted that Philge spent the episodes where she was absent watching Austin Powers 2: The Spy Who Shagged Me on DVD, and from her perspective the TV news broadcast would have just looked like a less funny Austin Powers knockoff with poo poo visual quality.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

inthesto posted:

New episode just dropped https://play.acast.com/s/dragonfriends/a40112b2-5f31-4bce-aeae-0f8104c5e50d

There's yet another amazing "Hing is not a very bright boy" moment about 15 minutes in

I had lost track of the action, and I had honestly thought that banknote was going to be killed because he startled an NPC into stabbing him while he was already unconscious, but I suppose you'd have to be conscious to say hello, wouldn't you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
First episode of Hell Freez-Over: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/451203428

I'm only 20 minutes in, but Freezo and Bushu get into a screaming match and it's magical