Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

1338 hax0r tricks to actually get work done despite the best efforts of your employer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

flakeloaf posted:

that's where being a government wonk makes life real easy

keep everything

there you're done

having seen the way the HoC network is set up, and individual MP constituency offices, i doubt very much this happens to any significant degree, not necessarily intentionally, but doubtless very conveniently

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

well yes, following rules is only something the proles face consequences for not doing

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
proles and lobbyists

lobbyists are real loving particular about records compliance

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
oh hey look someone finally gets it - touchscreens in cars are fuckign garbage: https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1121372_why-mazda-is-purging-touchscreens-from-its-vehicles

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Cold on a Cob posted:

oh hey look someone finally gets it - touchscreens in cars are fuckign garbage: https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1121372_why-mazda-is-purging-touchscreens-from-its-vehicles

hell yeah more HUDs in cars

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

quote:

Mazda is looking to add more simple, tactile controls into the cars. A quick tilt of the volume knob to the right or left goes forward or back single tracks—or holding it left or right fast-forwards it. A tap of the button mutes the system, and holding it down quickly turns off the screen and everything if it’s currently a distraction.

what a great idea i can't believe nobody thought of putting "tactile controls you don't have to look at" in cars before, elong should get on this new technology

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

you'll never get cuphead running on that Mazda, the best you can hope for is some interactive fiction/twine stuff.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Cold on a Cob posted:

did they just invent the i-drive, 18 years late?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

just rip off the clickwheel imho

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Krankenstyle posted:

actually thats called CYA

it's absolutely not. it means that you get endlessly deposed and that it's only your dumb emails that the plaintiffs get to pour over and then get put into lawsuits and it turns out that every bit of wrongdoing (that they can prove) somehow involves you.

if you have some CYA email by all means save that email. having seen someone who endured being center stage in a decade of litigation whose only fault was a single poorly-written email (and, the converse, someone who got caught doing something because they wrote it down in an email when everyone else was smart enough to use the phone), the less of your emails that exist, the better. i guarantee you that you've said tremendously dumb things in your email.

your email is not exculpatory, it's incriminating. plaintiffs get to look through it all and cherry-pick the stuff that doesn't look good. the best legal advice anyone who might ever get sued can get is to just plain stop using email or anything else that's logged by default.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

infernal machines posted:

*shudders*

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

i should also mention the final corollary to "don't save email you idiot" is the people i've seen skate scott-free because they didn't use email at all and so there was no paper trail to incriminate them

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

why the heck would you go around a data retention policy to vba up an email archive at work. that’s insane.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

people use vba to do very stupid things, it's true

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

pasty suburban dads? the venn diagram of them and yosposters is two concentric circles
Excuse me I am a pasty urban spinster thankyouverymuch

Xaris posted:

why not just say 'we are not liable for anything'
This boils down to two things: 1) you can put anything into a contract you like (I have never seen a rental agreement, for instance, that didn't have at least one blatantly unenforceable provision), but if it is contrary to the law or public policy it is not enforceable. In this case, there are some liabilities and some rights that can not be waived
2) Unenforceable provisions can be ignored if they are reasonably :sever:able from other provisions, meaning that other provisions and the contract as a whole aren't so intertwined with it that it is a hardship or impossible to enforce them without it.

An example of this being 2007ish, when some dude skated on a tax evasion charge because the indictment did not adequately separate the tax evasion from the defendants failure to file tax returns–during a period in which the OMB control numbers in use by the IRS were expired, which serves as an ultimate and final defense according to the Clinton-era Paperwork Reduction Act.

He still had to pay what he owed, but still.

Someone mentioned the $1 lifetime of manservitude, but that is also shaky on the grounds of unconscionability and imbalance of consideration.

A good object lesson on the importance of wording in contracts is the Coronation Cases. The broad strokes of that is that the coronation of Edward VII and there was a surge in lawsuits from spectators who weren't able to secure a refund from those they had rented rooms or balconies to watch the procession

Those suits that lost had one major thing in common. Can you deduce what that thing was?

At any rate, all of this is purely academic because, as anyone with more than passing familiarity with the practice of law knows, court cases are decided by a series of blowjobs.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

just rip off the clickwheel imho

Mazda used to use a non-touch screen and a clickwheel

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

At any rate, all of this is purely academic because, as anyone with more than passing familiarity with the practice of law knows, court cases are decided by a series of blowjobs.

i was the first in my class... in law

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Then it should be a very good blowjob.

:getin:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

this is one of those phrasings you use so its technically not incest?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Munkeymon posted:

Mazda used to use a non-touch screen and a clickwheel

there still is a click wheel. I have a 2019 cx9 and it has a great infotainment system

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

flakeloaf posted:

that's where being a government wonk makes life real easy

keep everything

there you're done

for engineering it's by state but generally it's 5 years after project completion when as-built plans are finalized

so this can easily be over 10 years of email correspondence for everyone involved, to say nothing of the mountain of design paperwork

switching over to PDFs for some of this process is being driven as simply a practical matter for the industry since your office will quickly just fill up with reams of paper. i think we have two separate storage units as well - for everything we need on-hand the office is just filled with bookshelves that look like this

frankly it's ridiculous

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

Someone mentioned the $1 lifetime of manservitude, but that is also shaky on the grounds of unconscionability and imbalance of consideration.

that's not a thing. in certain circumstances a contract might be void because the consideration is nominal and thus essentially just doesn't exist. but the rationale there is that the consideration is so small that it is clear neither party viewed it as consideration and so there is no consideration, not that the consideration isn't worth enough compared to what the other side is giving up.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
law fight law fight law fight

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
plz no jury selection already met my legal poo poo quota for the year

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

There is a spectre looming over AdTech, and its name is GDPR:

https://ico.org.uk/media/about-the-ico/documents/2615156/adtech-real-time-bidding-report-201906.pdf

This is from what I understand to be a rather lax british privacy authority, so it's not looking well for later other European agencies going over the same stuff. In short, they are not happy at all and consider the whole RTB industry to be breaking basically everything in the GDPR. They expect the rest of adtech to have the same problems, but they target RTB first because they are the most obvious bad case. They also consider that the industry cannot correct itself and they will need to intervene with a heavy hand.

Cherrypicked bits:

quote:

This means that the current consent requests provided under both the TCF and AB frameworks are non-compliant. Consent mechanisms must be appropriate for the processing of special category data. Market participants must therefore modify existing consent mechanisms to collect explicit consent, or they should not process this data at all.

[...]

However, we have not seen compelling evidence that any of these initiatives are fully mature, would sufficiently address our concerns in their current state, or that the current market would adopt such measures voluntarily.

[...]

We believe that the nature of the processing within RTB makes it impossible to meet the legitimate interests lawful basis requirements. This means that legitimate interests cannot be used for the main bid request processing. This is the case even if it were possible for legitimate interests to be applicable elsewhere in the RTB ecosystem –for example if a DMP is asked to supplement a bid request with additional information.There seems to be a perception by some participants that consent is ‘challenging’ and legitimate interests is the ‘easy option’. Overall, we do not believe there is a full understanding of what legitimate interests requires

if I read that right it’s like “these folks don’t understand the requirements, and even if they did, it wouldn’t be good enough”

If there's one techbubble bursting thing, it's ads going awry. Can't imagine both Google and Facebook struggling and the rest of the industry going on like everything's fine.

MononcQc fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jun 21, 2019

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
rtb is a mess and im glad glad glad that it's gonna be illegal. it's like the hft of the ad world.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

fyi here's my short description of what the hell adtech is like with regards with real time bidding: https://gist.github.com/ferd/18f3eb0084a399d147bc257ffb05b8a2

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

well not 18 years late as the prior generation mazda 3 had the same system but in general yes

i do have to say its way better to use than a touchscreen

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

jit bull transpile posted:

there still is a click wheel. I have a 2019 cx9 and it has a great infotainment system

oh cool - the article made it sound like they had switched to touch screens for a few years

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
car displays should all be fully operable with buttons and dials and such, but also have touchscreen support for navigating the same display when you're in a location that it's safe to do so in, imo

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

fishmech posted:

car displays should all be fully operable with buttons and dials and such, but also have touchscreen support for navigating the same display when you're in a location that it's safe to do so in, imo

Unfortunately, no one will bother with the last part unless they put in an interlock that only allows it to be interfaced with while stopped, but that won't happen.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

iospace posted:

Unfortunately, no one will bother with the latter. Unless they put in an interlock that only allows it to be interfaced with while stopped, but that won't happen.

mazda literally does this, we have a 2015 mazda3 that locks out a lot of the touchscreen functionality when you're driving. you can also use the jogwheel to do everything you can do on the touchscreen.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

uncurable mlady posted:

mazda literally does this, we have a 2015 mazda3 that locks out a lot of the touchscreen functionality when you're driving. you can also use the jogwheel to do everything you can do on the touchscreen.

yeah this is how my 2019 is. IMHO Mazda did the whole setup pretty well. my only gripe is it can take a little while for it to see my iPhone and start carplay when the car starts.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

uncurable mlady posted:

I stand corrected, and I'm glad to be.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

fishmech posted:

yeah absolutely.

i would almost prefer a touchscreen than the lovely controls on my gf's 2016 mini coop. there's like a circular knob and some buttons down by the center-console away from anything visible by the e-brake and its super clunky an awkward to use because you have to look down and to the side to figure that stupid thing out. unfortunately the screen itself is not-touch so this probably more dangerous than a touchscreen at that point. knobs and dials n buttons up on the dash like most cars is fine though.

e: this pos

Xaris fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jun 21, 2019

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

heck of a headline from wapo here: Google Chrome has become surveillance software. It’s time to switch.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

jit bull transpile posted:

yeah this is how my 2019 is. IMHO Mazda did the whole setup pretty well. my only gripe is it can take a little while for it to see my iPhone and start carplay when the car starts.

what I like about the infotainment display in that article is because it’s not a touchscreen they can move it further up the dash since it doesn’t need to be reachable with your arm, making it look less like someone slapped a random android tablet on your dashboard

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

iospace posted:

Unfortunately, no one will bother with the last part unless they put in an interlock that only allows it to be interfaced with while stopped, but that won't happen.

lol gently caress an interlock i dont care about actually locking it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Xaris posted:

yeah absolutely.

i would almost prefer a touchscreen than the lovely controls on my gf's 2016 mini coop. there's like a circular knob and some buttons down by the center-console away from anything visible by the e-brake and its super clunky an awkward to use because you have to look down and to the side to figure that stupid thing out. unfortunately the screen itself is not-touch so this probably more dangerous than a touchscreen at that point. knobs and dials n buttons up on the dash like most cars is fine though.

e: this pos

Welcome to idrive