Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I bet the roguelike mode is more along the lines of that Cave of Trials from Portrait of Ruin, where you fight Simon at the end. Random enemies/drops, but really basic room layouts in a stack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I feel like the first time you meet David Hayter is a pretty big difficulty spike. I can barely get near the guy.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Steve2911 posted:

I feel like the first time you meet David Hayter is a pretty big difficulty spike. I can barely get near the guy.

I found once you learned the range of his jumping at you, he was pretty easy to dodge back from, and either jump over or just whack him a few times in the face. He telegraphs his moves pretty hard.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

yeah but then the difficulty kinda disappears after that all the way till bloodless

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

electrigger posted:

I disagree with the philosophy that you can just ignore the broken stuff if you want a different experience I feel like that is very sloppy game design. Like I said I hope the supposed roguelike mode that i doubt will be added can add some actual depth and decision making to the item choice and consumable mechanics. I think they bit off more than they could chew with that stretch goal, I mean you are going to add dead cells on top of what you already built? I’ll believe that when I see it.

Also to be fair I haven’t started a game on higher difficulty yet so maybe my mileage will be better.

It depends on the game. Castlevania post SoTN was all about weird/fun ways to get OP. It is why they all focused on quantity of new stuff. It may have been sloppy design in SotN but it has since become a feature not a bug and RotM leans hard into that on purpose.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Nah, I thought that at first, but it's Leather, not the Rag.

My bad, durable leather comes from that stupid circle/scythe dude on the chain in forbidden underground waterway, name of Decarabia.

Is the blade his hair? I don't know, it's a weirdly designed creature. Looks like a circle.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Kaedric posted:

My bad, durable leather comes from that stupid circle/scythe dude on the chain in forbidden underground waterway, name of Decarabia.

Is the blade his hair? I don't know, it's a weirdly designed creature. Looks like a circle.

Awesome, thanks.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Kaedric posted:

the decarabia is a fallen angel of the 72 spirits of solomon, that it looks as restrained as it does is a miracles in itself because 'a bladed ring with a weird torso in the middle' is about as tame as it could get

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Johnny Joestar posted:

the decarabia is a fallen angel of the 72 spirits of solomon, that it looks as restrained as it does is a miracles in itself because 'a bladed ring with a weird torso in the middle' is about as tame as it could get

Yeah. The only description given for how it looks (via the Ars Goetia) is a pentagram star, that can change into a man. So weird as it is, the design is a pretty good one for that description.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
I prefer the Persona version.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Also acceptable as a design. Decarabia is my boy in SMT (passing on Tetrakarn like a prime stud animal). They've kept that design basically unchanged since he showed up in SMT I, 1992.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I found once you learned the range of his jumping at you, he was pretty easy to dodge back from, and either jump over or just whack him a few times in the face. He telegraphs his moves pretty hard.

The range of his downward attacks is -bullshit-, though. That and if you are using a heavier weapon, he is very good at sneaking his guard move between two of your swings when you get greedy (it activates a lot earlier than him raising his sword, during his taunt animation!), making you eat a hard counter.

Took me playing it slow and careful to a Dark Souls degree to beat him. But drat, I really like this game. Any unusually cool weapons worth spending my 8-bit coin on? Please tell me there is a crissaegrim clone somewhere, even a joke one that only does 1 damage per swing.

electrigger
Dec 18, 2005

so gay and you don't even like boys

ImpAtom posted:

It depends on the game. Castlevania post SoTN was all about weird/fun ways to get OP. It is why they all focused on quantity of new stuff. It may have been sloppy design in SotN but it has since become a feature not a bug and RotM leans hard into that on purpose.

Yeah I get it and I do appreciate it on some level. The game isn’t like anything else out right now. Unfortunately we live in a post Hollow Knight/Shovel Knight world where designers seem like they are interested in distilling the best aspects of classic games while streamlining the cruft. I was hoping this game would be going more in that direction.

I do get that it’s fun on a certain level to have this kitchen sink of silly items and shards to go hog wild and tinker with. However where some just see a toy box I’m more inclined to see it as a big sloppy mess of redundancies with basically no depth and a lot of flash.

My hope would be that the designers would have taken the ‘go hog wild with all the spells and gadgets’ aspect which is honestly appealing, but it seems like there isn’t any design space devoted to creating interesting builds with all the tools. It’s pretty easy to just throw together a set that is basically good in every situation with minimal change outs. Then on top of that the combat system can literally boil down to whack at the boss with no grace or tactics at all and then eat some curry if you get low if you want. It’s just rough, like game design has come a long way since Symphony.

Basically it’s neat that there are like 50 different swords, but why? What’s the point other than variety, especially when the mechanics are as deep as a puddle?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Sephyr posted:

The range of his downward attacks is -bullshit-, though. That and if you are using a heavier weapon, he is very good at sneaking his guard move between two of your swings when you get greedy (it activates a lot earlier than him raising his sword, during his taunt animation!), making you eat a hard counter.

Took me playing it slow and careful to a Dark Souls degree to beat him. But drat, I really like this game. Any unusually cool weapons worth spending my 8-bit coin on? Please tell me there is a crissaegrim clone somewhere, even a joke one that only does 1 damage per swing.

i haven’t found a crissaegrim equivalent but you can get a vorpal blade copypaste from the barbers

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I beat Hayter first go I am very good at video games.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Cowcaster posted:

i haven’t found a crissaegrim equivalent but you can get a vorpal blade copypaste from the barbers

Crissaegrim and vorpal blade do the same thing :confused:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

:goonsay: vorpal blade hits once per button press, crissaegrim hits four times

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jun 21, 2019

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
a secret for PC users;

there's plenty of cheat engine scripts for this, like letting you just craft things without having the ingredients or buy stuff without being able to afford it, though still taking what you can do. So if you get fed the gently caress up with grinding, say, apples or vicious hearts then you have that.

It's one thing to just have a drop in progressively harder and harder areas, it's another to just have four of the same item then four again then one last one, that's just loving annoying.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

electrigger posted:

Yeah I get it and I do appreciate it on some level. The game isn’t like anything else out right now. Unfortunately we live in a post Hollow Knight/Shovel Knight world where designers seem like they are interested in distilling the best aspects of classic games while streamlining the cruft. I was hoping this game would be going more in that direction.

I do get that it’s fun on a certain level to have this kitchen sink of silly items and shards to go hog wild and tinker with. However where some just see a toy box I’m more inclined to see it as a big sloppy mess of redundancies with basically no depth and a lot of flash.

My hope would be that the designers would have taken the ‘go hog wild with all the spells and gadgets’ aspect which is honestly appealing, but it seems like there isn’t any design space devoted to creating interesting builds with all the tools. It’s pretty easy to just throw together a set that is basically good in every situation with minimal change outs. Then on top of that the combat system can literally boil down to whack at the boss with no grace or tactics at all and then eat some curry if you get low if you want. It’s just rough, like game design has come a long way since Symphony.

Basically it’s neat that there are like 50 different swords, but why? What’s the point other than variety, especially when the mechanics are as deep as a puddle?

honestly i get what you're laying down and i'm genuinely right there with you, and it's part of the reason i think hollow knight is a better game than this, because it's its own unique beast. bloodstained is literally every mechanic from the DS games stitched together and polished up to a mirror shine, and it's good at that, but it isn't new and it certainly isn't creative.

here's the thing though: the project was never meant to be that, from the get go. the whole thing, from the start, has been "IGA makes a new, back to basics, exactly what you've seen before, castlevania". so i'm disappointed that the game doesn't really elevate anything to a brand new level or surprise me in any way, but that's on me, because that was never the intention. the intent was to deliver an exceptionally good new iteration of the oldschool castlevania platformer, and i have to say it succeeded at that perfectly. and i'm still playing it every afternoon when i get home from work because i want to beat the thang ding.

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jun 21, 2019

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Cowcaster posted:

Rank: Number of times you've upgraded the shard at the alchemist. What higher rank does will be mentioned in the shard description.
Grade: How many copies of a shard you have. Not explicitly declared what it does anywhere. If the shard does damage or boosts a stat, generally more of that. Otherwise, ???. Selling copies of a shard will obviously lower its grade, however you also cannot hold more than 9 so you're just burning money if it's a shard that you don't use.
Level: Only for familiars. Goes up as you kill stuff. What it does is also kind of a ???.

If it's like SotN, level plays into damage and how aggressive they are. Low level is kind of meek and passive, high level is always attacking.

Edit : I swear the faerie type enemies say "gently caress you" when I hit them.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jun 21, 2019

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Cowcaster posted:

:goonsay: vorpal blade hits once per button press, crissaegrim hits four times

that said, there's also basically an exact copy paste of the heaven sword from SOTN available as well, and you can eventually glue some stuff to that at the alchemist to upgrade it, so maybe the same can be done with that

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jun 21, 2019

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Has anyone else noticed text bugs during talking scenes? Well, maybe not necessarily a bug, they might have just hosed up. But sometimes occasionally words will be dropped at the end of a line.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Just go under him when he jumps

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

electrigger posted:

The thing is that the game is doing that. Iga has even been pretty clear in interviews that what people liked most about SotN, at least in his opinion, was the wide variety of weird and seemingly useless stuff that added personality and flare to the game and so that is what he prioritized. He isn't focusing on what you want but that isn't because of a failure of game design. It's because that the end goal was to create a big goofy castle full of random poo poo that you can use how you want, which is something people really like in Metroidvanias and what helps separate them from pure Metroid-style games. (And also something drastically missing in a lot of those style of games.)

Hollow Knight is a good game but it explicitly exists in a different realm, inspired pretty bluntly by something like Dark Souls where it's intended to be Dangerous and Punishing to the point you don't even get an automap. This is also an intentional design decision because Hollow Knight wasn't targeting the same end goal. HK has a lot more Metroid than Castlevania in its blood. Castlevania on the other hand hasn't really been about punishing challenges since the original franchise days. The only way to make any of them really hard is to play on harder difficulties and to intentionally limit yourself.

And that's also fine as long as the game is designed around it. Shovel Knight is a great example of that. Shovel Knight can be an insanely easy game if you use all your Relics and carry healing potions with you into every boss fight. It can also be precision and punishing if you break every checkpoint and use only the default shovel. The game supports both playstyles, it is just that the player has to willingly accept the harder challenges. It's part of why Shovel Knight is excellently designed.

It isn't a case of gameplay 'evolving.' It is that the games are focusing on different things. If you made an Igavania that was super punishing and heavily balanced it just wouldn't be the same thing and would annoy people who like Igavania games for their ease and exploration. I've seen multiple people complaining that health potions are too limited and expensive for example. It's fine for both kinds of games to exist and it isn't a case of one failing while the other succeeds.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i mean it's not very glamorous but "facetank his hits and drill him to death with the heretic grinder" has worked pretty solidly for him and every boss i've encountered so far but it's pretty lame

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Question for those on Hard Mode: During the second fight with David Hayter he uses some sort of instakill move during the end of the fight. Basically he locks you in a sphere and blasts you for an instakill after about 5 seconds. Is there any way to avoid it? I just tried over and over until at some point he just didn't do that attack and I could win the fight.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Hollow Knight aims for hostility and exploration being punishing so each new screen represents a challenge. Igavania aims for prizes and each new screen represents a treasure chest.

Avian Pneumonia
May 24, 2006

ASK ME ABOUT MY OPINIONS ON CANCEL CULTURE
I love this game more than most games I've played lately but is anyone else having an issue with difficulty? Like, I understand that I lucked out and got the Rhava Bural pretty early on but it seems silly to be geeking out about whether you can kill a fairly easy enemy in a 0.5 vs 0.35 sec window, doesn't it? Does this game get meaningfully difficult? Why are you all creating elaborate builds and number-crunching when I've not done any side-quests or talked to anyone or felt the need to make food or create any items other than basic potions?

I feel like I could do this with an upgraded basic shortsword and a bunch of potions with zero difficulty.

It seems the warp-zones and save-points are MORE than plentiful and I've only really had to sweat things during the first ninja boss and maybe a bit for Bloodlesss.

I love the hell out of this game but is this all there is with regards to difficulty?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Honestly I think Hard should have been unlocked by default, with Nightmare being the unlockable difficulty. It feels a lot more balanced and a fair bit more challenging without being frustrating, even if the first boss is a bit brutal.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It isn't difficult, it's just fun

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

it isn't very difficult to turn yourself into a murder machine on hard too but i do at least have to waystone out on a regular basis to save myself

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Avian Pneumonia posted:

I love this game more than most games I've played lately but is anyone else having an issue with difficulty? Like, I understand that I lucked out and got the Rhava Bural pretty early on but it seems silly to be geeking out about whether you can kill a fairly easy enemy in a 0.5 vs 0.35 sec window, doesn't it? Does this game get meaningfully difficult? Why are you all creating elaborate builds and number-crunching when I've not done any side-quests or talked to anyone or felt the need to make food or create any items other than basic potions?

I feel like I could do this with an upgraded basic shortsword and a bunch of potions with zero difficulty.

It seems the warp-zones and save-points are MORE than plentiful and I've only really had to sweat things during the first ninja boss and maybe a bit for Bloodlesss.

I love the hell out of this game but is this all there is with regards to difficulty?

if you put "NIGHTMARE" in as your name it will let you pick nightmare difficulty from the jump, which is remixed enemy placement and more boss patterns (hard mode) with a level 1 cap ala Order of Ecclesia, go nuts.

edit: goog'd it up

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jun 21, 2019

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Hard isn't really too much of a challenge. If you think the game is too easy, it might be worth trying nightmare mode. I started my first game on that difficulty and stopped because I kept getting killed by stray bones half-way through the ship. Also you don't level in nightmare.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Cowcaster posted:

if you put "nightmare" in as your name (maybe all caps?) it will put you on hard mode (remixed enemy placement and more boss patterns) with a level 1 cap ala Order of Ecclesia, go nuts.

it actually just permanently unlocks the higher difficulties you don't have to go on nightmare. it also unlocks speedrun mode i guess

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

lets hang out posted:

it actually just permanently unlocks the higher difficulties you don't have to go on nightmare. it also unlocks speedrun mode i guess

fixed

edit: i will say i'm 100% certain my strategy of "heretic grinder everything to death that takes more than 2 hits" would absolutely fall to pieces if i weren't playing on normal difficulty, but fortunately i have no dignity and therefore feel no shame

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jun 21, 2019

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I'm tired of indie sidescrollers where every screen is filled with some dumb bullshit that can't wait to kill you so I'm glad you can largely just coast through this game.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

fixed

edit: i will say i'm 100% certain my strategy of "heretic grinder everything to death that takes more than 2 hits" would absolutely fall to pieces if i weren't playing on normal difficulty, but fortunately i have no dignity and therefore feel no shame

I'm a complete scrub who puts my games on easy the second I catch even the faintest whiff of bullshit difficulty, so right there with you. I looked at the difficulty selections, and went "I've played Castlevania before. I know this trickery." My cursor never moved off Normal.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

The game read my mind today. I found my first Lili and thought "That's so cute! I want to play as the demon bunny". It immediately dropped "Bunnymorphosis" which lets me play as a demon bunny. I was so delighted. Between that and the shard that lets you fire pig balloons I'm pretty happy.

I love that the game has tons of goofy items and abilities like the other Igavanias. Also the ratio of usable stuff is way higher than past games. With SOTN and the DS games tons of stuff was just trash pretty quick. You can try to spec your character different ways in this one with shards and equipment to make a marginal weapon actually viable.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

hosed up that there's a shard to morph into the karate bunny girl but not one to morph into the hellfire guitar-player girl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Crissaegrim was 4 swings per button press and was late enough that it was strong enough to be absurd.