Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Everyone Is Bowie, surely? You can throw in Jareth the Goblin King for the guy who always whines about non-fantasy games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

CitizenKeen posted:

I've printed out the pages. They all print at the same size as the book (10 & 1/8 inches by 6 & 5/8 inches). I feel like, by the time you run through the game's 52 issues, you'll have enough mastery to just be writing out your own stuff, anyway. The game, under the hood, feels very Powered by the Apocalypse-esque (vis a vis playbooks) - there's no such thing as a Villain Archetype. You can use perks from any Archetype. If you have to ask, you can't.

That's good to know. Regardless, I am looking forward to the game.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Antivehicular posted:

Everyone Is Bowie, surely? You can throw in Jareth the Goblin King for the guy who always whines about non-fantasy games.

As soon as Bowie does cocaine, everyone wins simultaneously.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Antivehicular posted:

And who's playing the Thin White Duke?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

My friend ran Everyone is Jason Voorhees and I don't think that'll ever be topped.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
The Improv for Gamers book unironically contains Everyone Is Fred Schneider.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

This is a shot in the dark but there used to be a GURPS Space system generation spreadsheet floating around the internet that would do all of the heavy lifting for you. The author took it down after discovering there was some edge-case errata that didn't work and I've scoured the 'net but apparently it's been lost forever.

No chance that anyone around here is a digital pack rat who kept it on a drive, is there?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Zurui posted:

This is a shot in the dark but there used to be a GURPS Space system generation spreadsheet floating around the internet that would do all of the heavy lifting for you. The author took it down after discovering there was some edge-case errata that didn't work and I've scoured the 'net but apparently it's been lost forever.

No chance that anyone around here is a digital pack rat who kept it on a drive, is there?

e: misunderstood the question

CHIMlord
Jul 1, 2012
You've lucked out Zurui, because I do have a copy. Enjoy.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ioB7bkcSwx8cVndtGf2OGtTqZJzUB6iP/view?usp=sharing

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Holy poo poo. I was convinced this was lost to the bowels of the internet just like that really great Chekov/Kang fic I once read.

Thank you!

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
https://www.reddit.com/r/rpg/comments/c2z4f4/we_know_the_rules_laywer_but_how_do_you_handle/

So I'm curious. In this thread, hyphz seemed to indicate they were, to borrow the phrase from the reddit post they made, the "world lawyer", and wondering if it's okay.

Then, in the reddit post, hyphz seems to come across as the GM struggling to deal with this kind of player?

Which I guess is my question, hyphz? Are you struggling with the right way to be a player, or to be a GM?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Dissociative personality disorder or the use of a Jekyll/Hyde like chemical. Case closed.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Please don't summon RPG Stymie.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

CitizenKeen posted:

Which I guess is my question, hyphz? Are you struggling with the right way to be a player, or to be a GM?
Stop being such a world lawyer, god!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I recognize that "all of your answers are helpful and reasonable but I'm going to double-down on the premise that this is actually an unsolvable problem even though I explicitly phrased it as though there must be solutions" approach to argumentation. It is not an honest question seeking helpful answers, it's a channel for complaining seeking sympathy for your plight in the guise of one.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Don't drag discussions over from discord and reddit without anything actually prompting it.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I feel like this has been said before a hundred times re: hyphz, but every one of his questions boils down to a gaming style where the GM is the holy plot-giver whose goal is to inflict a rigorously-prepared plot on the players, and the players' goal is to resist this with all their might by asking inconvenient questions/going off on tangents/just not buying into the premise. It's toxic and adversarial on both sides, to varying degrees, and it makes it impossible for him to understand games like PbtA where everyone's improvising and building the plot... or, really, any game where people are cooperating and mutually enjoying the story, even though it's what this whole drat hobby is about.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Wrestlepig posted:

Don't drag discussions over from discord and reddit without anything actually prompting it.

I apologize if I ran afoul of some Goon Etiquette. It's two pages back on this thread, he's presenting the opposite POV for the conversation in two different forums, and I thought mentioning reddit here (since reddit is free) rather than mentioning SA in the reddit post (since SA is gated) made more sense. There's no way to frame/ask the question about the dichotomy without referencing a different forum.

Antivehicular posted:

I feel like this has been said before a hundred times re: hyphz, but every one of his questions boils down to a gaming style where the GM is the holy plot-giver whose goal is to inflict a rigorously-prepared plot on the players, and the players' goal is to resist this with all their might by asking inconvenient questions/going off on tangents/just not buying into the premise. It's toxic and adversarial on both sides, to varying degrees, and it makes it impossible for him to understand games like PbtA where everyone's improvising and building the plot... or, really, any game where people are cooperating and mutually enjoying the story, even though it's what this whole drat hobby is about.

I get that. I'm more interested in why in this thread he's the player and in the other thread he's the GM of the same situation.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
I mean, the Reddit thread doesn't explicitly say he's the GM, just asks how GMs deal with it

Edit: I think it's that he is the player in this game and is unsure about doing a thing as a player that stresses him out when he is GM. He's trying not to be "that guy".

That's my read. I guess he can confirm or deny later.

Jimbozig fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jun 21, 2019

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Boy "helldump" has really lost all meaning, huh? Oh did I find someone I know posting about something on-topic in one of the biggest internet social media sites in existence? Better throw my computer out the window and rinse my eyes in bleach in case I wind up mentioning it on another forum, or someone might waste ten dollars to call me a serial killer.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

CitizenKeen posted:

I get that. I'm more interested in why in this thread he's the player and in the other thread he's the GM of the same situation.

Probably because he's tired of people pointing out that he's running games for abusive people who mock his interest in non-D&D RPGs and who hold no real power over him but he refuses to cut ties with.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Kai Tave posted:

Boy "helldump" has really lost all meaning, huh? Oh did I find someone I know posting about something on-topic in one of the biggest internet social media sites in existence? Better throw my computer out the window and rinse my eyes in bleach in case I wind up mentioning it on another forum, or someone might waste ten dollars to call me a serial killer.

Haha holy poo poo that red text is loving pathetic.
At least whoever it was is helping Lowtax with his new back so it's not all bad.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Apologies.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Antivehicular posted:

I feel like this has been said before a hundred times re: hyphz, but every one of his questions boils down to a gaming style where the GM is the holy plot-giver whose goal is to inflict a rigorously-prepared plot on the players, and the players' goal is to resist this with all their might by asking inconvenient questions/going off on tangents/just not buying into the premise.
I thought his issues boiled down to thinking he needs a precise mathematical framework for everything the GM does, down to exactly how many dice rolls he should require per player per encounter per game session. Am I confusing him with someone else who used to bedevil the chat thread?

I'm generally on the side of tight game design, encounter balance, and tools for handling bigger-picture stuff like domains, organizations, and mass conflicts, but it's possible to follow that instinct too far.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm generally on the side of tight game design, encounter balance, and tools for handling bigger-picture stuff like domains, organizations, and mass conflicts,

My players are lucky when I remember to wear pants.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Mystic Mongol posted:

My players are lucky when I remember to wear pants.
I haven't worn pants to a game since January.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I had to stage-manage an event on the day of my last game, so I showed up wearing a three-piece suit.

Serf
May 5, 2011

all my games are online so none of my players realize that i run the game completely in the nude because its summer in georgia and routinely 100+ degrees

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Serf posted:

all my games are online so none of my players realize that i run the game completely in the nude because its summer in georgia and routinely 100+ degrees
That's what you think

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!
I hope that none of you previous posters have an uncovered webcam and are planning to play on Roll20. That site has the video + voice settings enabled by default.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Serf posted:

that's how I've always imagined you, tbqh. it's not unpleasant.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Serf posted:

The real secret is everyone is naked but assumes no one else is. The traditional garb of an online gamer is socks, cheeto dusted fingers, and a smile.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Can confirm that the entire state of Georgia walks around naked during the summer months. It's the only way to survive in this fetid hellhole. The sunburn on your genitals is worth only sweating a few gallons a day.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

PinheadSlim posted:

The real secret is everyone is naked but assumes no one else is. The traditional garb of an online gamer is socks, cheeto dusted fingers, and a smile.
socks are the worst article of clothing, fite me

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation

PinheadSlim posted:

How dare you accuse me of smiling while doing serious gaming.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

PinheadSlim posted:

Just your fingers?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Splicer posted:

Just your fingers?
You can dust other parts but it's optional.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!
Dunno the appropriate thread, but back in the day Paizo's Dungeon Magazine had four maps detailing parts of the Greyhawk setting. I owned them all and decided today to hang them all up together.

Click the image to enlarge.

Libertad! fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Jun 23, 2019

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
My map fetish has probably kept me more perpetually engaged with tabletop gaming than has any other factor, so I personally thank you for that rad post. And now I feel like I need to find those four back issues at Gen-Con this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Dr. Quarex posted:

My map fetish has probably kept me more perpetually engaged with tabletop gaming than has any other factor, so I personally thank you for that rad post. And now I feel like I need to find those four back issues at Gen-Con this year.

There's one for Faerun too I think dragon must have had it? My friend had dragon magazine not dungeon

Edit: yes https://paizo.com/store/books/dragon/products/issues/forgottenRealmsMap