Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Kyrosiris posted:

More what I mean is, it's loaded into memory when you start a fight, and I don't know of any codes that can do multiplication like that.

A code that says "AP per fight is always 10" is easy. A code that says "multiply AP by four", I have no idea how it'd work.

Yeah I just meant the former, just to give people 1000 AP in 5 fights or whatever just to get it out of the way

Anyway I've got my third run's team lined up, Black Mage / Time Mage / Dragoon / Ranger, and seriously considering Job Fairing the Dragoon into a Freelancer. Not sure what else I should change to really coast through a Triple Crown Victory Lap, maybe Black Mage --> Knight for Two-Handed Rapid-Fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

What level should I be going into NED with bard / bard / berserker / ninja? I just don't have the health to survive any of his attacks, or healing to come back.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Unreal_One posted:

What level should I be going into NED with bard / bard / berserker / ninja? I just don't have the health to survive any of his attacks, or healing to come back.

Start with your Bards singing your level boosting and speed boosting songs ASAP during Treedeath, do it for a long time before you even start DPSing (yes I know you have a berserker) and before too long it won't matter what level you came in to NED at because the game will think you're 99 and hit like trucks.

The magic-boosting song will also help your Ninja's Throws do a ton of AOE damage to all four parts at the same time to bring them down equally.

Probably give your Bards either Throw, or Equip Axes to do a ton of Rune Axe damage.

Osci
Oct 11, 2016

Unreal_One posted:

Level is not super important here. Use a bard to buff up during the tree phase and you should easily be able to kill the algamest part before it goes off. You probably don't want to sing with both in case your ninja dies.
If you odin the mage part then NED should barely be able to get anything off before he dies.

You will have to keep track on how much damage your berserker do and elixir exdeath in case he gets too damaged.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

That's not the problem, the problem is that if I do that, I die. Do I need to come in with berserker blinded?

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Unreal_One posted:

That's not the problem, the problem is that if I do that, I die. Do I need to come in with berserker blinded?

Die to what?

Osci
Oct 11, 2016
You could do that. Another option is to just disarm/kill him and kill NED with your bards + ninja.

The first phase of exdeath can only kill one person/turn, so as long as you have two characters being able to use items you can never wipe.
Once you get level+speed+str to 99 then the fight is over.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Use the Dream Harp to put the Berserker to sleep while you sing? Or yeah, just kill him. When you are at max speed, strength, magic, and level, you will kill NED before he attacks.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Kyrosiris posted:

More what I mean is, it's loaded into memory when you start a fight, and I don't know of any codes that can do multiplication like that.

A code that says "AP per fight is always 10" is easy. A code that says "multiply AP by four", I have no idea how it'd work.

do emus with lua scripting let you write to memory
you could do it that way but like, why at that point

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Thanks, the problem was two singers ends in death. A dummy target berserker with just an aegis shield stopped the double white holing. First ever run down.

agradine posted:

Haven't seen any name based toxxes, so I guess I'll be the first.

:toxx: In honor and memory of the sadly now defunct Let's Play 25 30 Years of Final Fantasy thread by the Good Friends, Ryan and Claire, I will donate $1 for every goon that completes a run with their main character called "Butes" (as pronounced in your finest Southern California accent), up to a total of $25 $30. :toxx:

Edit: I will also accept other Good Friends references, in case FRON is more your speed.

Edit2: Apparently I missed the first name-based :toxx:, nothing wrong with coming second!

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I'm interested in trying this, but I think I'm just not quite understanding the rules for getting your jobs. So if someone could explain this to me like I'm a complete dummy, I'd appreciate it.

At the first crystal, does everyone get the job you pull? Say, if I pull Thief, do I have to roll with a four Thief crew, or does Bartz get the job, and the other three go without a job?

If everyone takes the first job, how do you change it at the second crystal? Bartz stays at job #1 and everyone else gets the second job for the time being?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

LadyPictureShow posted:

I'm interested in trying this, but I think I'm just not quite understanding the rules for getting your jobs. So if someone could explain this to me like I'm a complete dummy, I'd appreciate it.

At the first crystal, does everyone get the job you pull? Say, if I pull Thief, do I have to roll with a four Thief crew?

Yes, unless you were an idiot and registered for a natural job run. Don't do natural.

LadyPictureShow posted:

If everyone takes the first job, how do you change it at the second crystal? Bartz stays at job #1 and everyone else gets the second job for the time being?

At least one person must be a thief, and at least one person must be the second job you pulled. Past that, you're free to arrange it however (three thieves/one water job, two/two, etc).

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

LadyPictureShow posted:

At the first crystal, does everyone get the job you pull? Say, if I pull Thief, do I have to roll with a four Thief crew, or does Bartz get the job, and the other three go without a job?

Between Wind and Water: Wind Job x4

Between Water and Fire: Any combination of Wind Job and Water Job as long as you have one of each

Between Fire and Earth: Wind Job, Water Job, Fire Job, and one duplicate

After Earth: All four jobs

Osci
Oct 11, 2016

LadyPictureShow posted:

When you roll your first job all 4 get that.
Once you roll your second you can divide it however you want, but at least 1 of each. You can split it 1-3 or 2-2.
Same deal with the third one, you get to split it 1-1-2 however you want.
Once you get the fourth you have to go for one of each.

You can also swap jobs between characters (if you're not running certain variants) as long as you have at least one character for each unlocked class at all times. It helps if you want to combine abilities from different classes.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Thanks a bundle for laying it out for me guys! I'm only slightly a dummy.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
Out of curiousity, what's the fiesta mod that people are talking about?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

LiefKatano posted:

Out of curiousity, what's the fiesta mod that people are talking about?

A mod that unlocks all jobs at the start of the game. It makes the game way better if you're playing on chaos mode and get a party based around fire and especially earth based jobs.

Serenity Dove
Jan 29, 2008

If I had a Pikachu, it'd probably eat my stuff.
So things are going well with my first run, I got Blue Mage, Beserker, Ranger and Samurai. I知 pretty sure Shinryu is doable with Wonder Wand and Coral Rings and then liberal uses of Phoenix Downs. For Omega though I知 not quite sure. I知 guessing Rapid Fire Chicken Knife would be part of the strategy but if anyone has any tips it would be greatly appreciated.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Serenity Dove posted:

I知 pretty sure Shinryu is doable with Wonder Wand and Coral Rings

No need for coral rings. Any class but Berserker can act before Shinryu while hasted with sandals.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Serenity Dove posted:

So things are going well with my first run, I got Blue Mage, Beserker, Ranger and Samurai. I知 pretty sure Shinryu is doable with Wonder Wand and Coral Rings and then liberal uses of Phoenix Downs. For Omega though I知 not quite sure. I知 guessing Rapid Fire Chicken Knife would be part of the strategy but if anyone has any tips it would be greatly appreciated.

Cart a Dark Bow in to Shinryu and blind him to boot, you're golden for him.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
It's going to be really hard to keep up with shin's attack speed with JUST berserk access though. There are a lot of options to deal with it, but berserk alone probs isn't enough. Blind, blink, lots of shield access ect.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

fool_of_sound posted:

It's going to be really hard to keep up with shin's attack speed with JUST berserk access though. There are a lot of options to deal with it, but berserk alone probs isn't enough. Blind, blink, lots of shield access ect.

Shinryu can only kill one person a round. Fling phoenix downs.

E: oh, right, ranger means dark bow means Shin is neutered as hell to boot

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Kyrosiris posted:

Shinryu can only kill one person a round. Fling phoenix downs.

I've tried it with hermes scandals across the board and barely had time to do damage while flinging phoenix downs. He attacks a bit less than twice per 'round' while zerked.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

fool_of_sound posted:

I've tried it with hermes scandals across the board and barely had time to do damage while flinging phoenix downs. He attacks a bit less than twice per 'round' while zerked.

With Main Gauches and Elven Capes, all things are possible, friend.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Oh, hi, Krille. Save the dragon? Yeah, we can do that.

Sorry for the wait. Grandpa was busy, in the basement, for three hours.

e: Oh, cheers, !Rapidfire Monk is dealing some real soviet damage, at least for now.

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jun 21, 2019

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

First run was Black Mage/Time Mage/Beastmaster/Chemist. Pretty easy run.

Second was White Mage/Mystic Knight/Ninja/Summoner (Job faired so I could donate some money and have a super relaxing run).

Decided to do Chaos for my third run, hoping to mix it up a bit.

Thief/White Mage/Bard/White Mage. At least I should never wipe?

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

A Real Horse posted:

Thief/White Mage/Bard/White Mage. At least I should never wipe?

Pretty easy Triple Crown there, if you can make it

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

fool_of_sound posted:

A mod that unlocks all jobs at the start of the game. It makes the game way better if you're playing on chaos mode and get a party based around fire and especially earth based jobs.

Or it makes the game way worse if you roll Bard on your Wind Crystal job.

Never do quad-bard. It hurts.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Finally won my first Fiesta run with the party from hell. Thief/Zerker/Ninja/Dancer.

OOG.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

KataraniSword posted:

Or it makes the game way worse if you roll Bard on your Wind Crystal job.

Never do quad-bard. It hurts.

Pre-fire ship bard is just a slightly worse thief, it's doable. My worst start was quad-time mage karlabos and siren

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

fool_of_sound posted:

Pre-fire ship bard is just a slightly worse thief, it's doable. My worst start was quad-time mage karlabos and siren

A slightly worse thief that becomes an incredibly worse thief just in time for Garula. Not only do you have to deal with the nerfed strength stat, but you can't even steal Mythril Knives to make up for it.

Time Mage at least can lean back on Staffs (from the Wind Shrine) and Potions.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

fool_of_sound posted:

Quad mimic karlboss is going to be rough and is what I have coming up. a dagger, a knife, and two staffs are what I got til the dagger grind.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

MagusDraco posted:

Quad mimic karlboss is going to be rough and is what I have coming up. a dagger, a knife, and two staffs are what I got til the dagger grind.

You hardly need to do the dagger grind, even; with 4x mimics you can just drop a potion on Siren's undead form and then endlessly mimic it until she melts.

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

CHARIZARD used SMOKESCREEN
It doesn't affect GEORDI THE BLASTOISE!

So I've just arrived at the first town in World 2 with this team. I've never played this game before and am trying to more or less go it blind, the only resource I've used was the google doc posted earlier in the thread to read about the classes I rolled.

So far, I've done pretty well with my Red Mage doing the bulk of the work by breaking rods. Most of the money I earned up to this point went to buying rods to keep this bad habit going.

The intro sequence to world 2 with Gilgamesh and the Bridge was quite hectic for me, I barely made it through alive (had to break into my Elixir stash, only 12 left now!)

I don't know if there's a place to buy rods in World 2 or not, which has me going through withdrawals a bit. I have about 15 left, but it's obvious I can't keep relying on them. Which means that my Red Mage needs to take a seat a bit and let the rest of the group pull some weight.

Fortunately, I stole that Tiara that ups Dancer's Sword Dance chance to 50%, which is helping a bit.

Three quick questions:

1. About how much game do I have left? I'm enjoying the heck out of this game and am curious how far I am from the end.

2. Am I going to get absolutely destroyed with this team if I miss picking up anything from here to the end?

3. This is mechanically the best Final Fantasy game I've played. Part of that may be the self imposed challenge of the FJF, but I still really like how you can make anybody anything. Do any other Final Fantasy games have a similar system?

Thanks!

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Miles McCloud posted:

1. About how much game do I have left? I'm enjoying the heck out of this game and am curious how far I am from the end.
Depends. World 2 is somewhat shorter than World 1. World 3 can be fairly lengthy but most of it is optional. The final dungeon is also pretty lengthy.

Miles McCloud posted:

2. Am I going to get absolutely destroyed with this team if I miss picking up anything from here to the end?

Nah. You can pick up some better rods in world 2 shortly after you get galuf back home. You may need to grind out some Holy rods from some shapeshifting enemies a bit later on if you're having problems with the world 2 final boss (he's a dick). There's a LOT of treasure in world 3, but the important bits are "get the legendary weapons for your classes" and "get top of the line gear in phantom village". Phantom Village is hidden, and while npcs give you clues about it, it's not easy to find. Look it up if you need to. You can access it as soon as you get your airship back in world 3.

Oh, also you REALLY want to steal a rainbow dress for your dancer. Look up locations for that in world 3.

You might also want to look up spoilers for the Chicken Knife.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Miles McCloud posted:

World 1 is roughly the first 40-50% of the game, depending on how many of the endgame sidequests you do.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Miles McCloud posted:

So I've just arrived at the first town in World 2 with this team. I've never played this game before and am trying to more or less go it blind, the only resource I've used was the google doc posted earlier in the thread to read about the classes I rolled.

So far, I've done pretty well with my Red Mage doing the bulk of the work by breaking rods. Most of the money I earned up to this point went to buying rods to keep this bad habit going.

The intro sequence to world 2 with Gilgamesh and the Bridge was quite hectic for me, I barely made it through alive (had to break into my Elixir stash, only 12 left now!)

I don't know if there's a place to buy rods in World 2 or not, which has me going through withdrawals a bit. I have about 15 left, but it's obvious I can't keep relying on them. Which means that my Red Mage needs to take a seat a bit and let the rest of the group pull some weight.

Fortunately, I stole that Tiara that ups Dancer's Sword Dance chance to 50%, which is helping a bit.

Three quick questions:

3. This is mechanically the best Final Fantasy game I've played. Part of that may be the self imposed challenge of the FJF, but I still really like how you can make anybody anything. Do any other Final Fantasy games have a similar system?

Thanks!

1. A sizable amount, though like a lot of FFs most of the third act is optional.

2. Not sure. The fiesta resources are invaluable, but I get the desire not to use them on a first playthrough.

3. FF3 (NES) has a similar job system but in practice they're a bunch of linear upgrades and play nothing alike. Later FFs give free reign on character customization but it mostly makes the characters feel samey without the well defined rolls the jobs give you. In short, no, it's an FFV fiesta for a reason.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Miles McCloud posted:

The Bravely games have the closest systems and I'm surprised they've never tried anything fiesta like with them.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Hackan Slash posted:

The Bravely games have the closest systems and I'm surprised they've never tried anything fiesta like with them.

It's because of the higher difficulty and involvement of jobs in Bravely. You can handily beat FFV with any combo of 4 jobs (Though maybe not some dupes without absurd level grinding), but Bravely gives you powerful combination possibilities and sure as hell expects you to use them.

Supremezero fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jun 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Supremezero posted:

It's because of the higher difficulty and involvement of jobs in Bravely. You can handily beat FFV with any combo of 4 jobs (Though maybe not some dupes without absurd level grinding), but Bravely gives you powerful combination possibilities and sure as hell expects you to use them.

It's also not as easily accessable as 5 is.