Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

luxury handset posted:

this month's cover story for White Supremacist Living Rooms

Production design for the new season of The Man in the High Castle lookin' good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Yeah, that's deffo Robert E Lee front and center there, and that's the stars n' bars behind him.

the whole house is has a creepy vibe

usually sword dad energy is like katanas or some kind of goofy gamer fantasy sword, the worst example is god damned sabers

christ

look in the mirror. is that a world of warcraft poster and a quiver of arrows?

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

luxury handset posted:

usually sword dad energy is like katanas or some kind of goofy gamer fantasy sword, the worst example is god damned sabers

christ

gut it all, yuck

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

luxury handset posted:

christ

Do any women live in this house?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Looks like your standard deep south well-off white dude house with 3000 square feet, a 4-wheeler shed, and a gun case in the living room. I guarantee you somewhere on a wall there is a framed LSU/Alabama/UGA/Clemson/Arkansas/Ole Miss painting of some kind

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Looks like your standard deep south well-off white dude house with 3000 square feet, a 4-wheeler shed, and a gun case in the living room. I guarantee you somewhere on a wall there is a framed LSU/Alabama/UGA/Clemson/Arkansas/Ole Miss painting of some kind
Robert E Lee and Stonewall Jackson helping Bear Bryant coach the bammers to victory over LSU would be a great painting.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
lmao the lite beer sign in the bedroom of a grown rear end adult

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

luxury handset posted:

this month's cover story for White Supremacist Living Rooms

the computer desk wedged behind the couch is an interesting choice. the other pic angle of the living room, combined with this shot, makes me think the whole room is packed so tight that there's like 1 clear path that weaves between all the furniture and gewgaws and only one person can stand up to move around at a time.

there's so many other elements that make no sense. what's the point of the chairs that are on the same wall as the tv, facing away from it? why do you need a lazy-boy recliner in your bed room less than a foot from your actual bed? plus all the racism paraphernalia

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Facebook Aunt posted:

Do any women live in this house?

Yes, one, and she's not allowed to speak out of turn or express her likes or desires, but by golly she's put on a pedestal, in words, anyway.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

luxury handset posted:

christ

AND a pull up bar. I was thinking old white dude until the warcraft poster after which I'm recalibrating to 30s white dude, which explains the lack of a framed stars & stripes folded into a triangle.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Jaded Burnout posted:

AND a pull up bar. I was thinking old white dude until the warcraft poster after which I'm recalibrating to 30s white dude, which explains the lack of a framed stars & stripes folded into a triangle.
Possibly the son still living at home too.

Other possible biography- successful late 30s/early 40s bachelor suing lawyer with plenty of money and no taste that hired his mother’s decorator to make his bachelor pad look like his mother’s house but masculinized- leather furniture instead of chintz and wood everywhere. House is for sale because he got married and the wife hates it wants to move somewhere else and paint EVERYTHING white and get some arts with smears of gold and white on them (she might even be the artist behind these creations).

There’s also a banjo in the corner of the bedroom for added whiteness.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
My house has dumb ugly "ceiling titty" dome light fixtures in the bedrooms. They're extremely 1980s and are about to fall right out of the ceilings. I need to replace 14 of them, including bedrooms, hallways, closets, and a bathroom.

What is an economical solution that will either A. last 10+ years or B. I can replace the bulbs very quickly and easily without tools?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

What is an economical solution that will either A. last 10+ years or B. I can replace the bulbs very quickly and easily without tools?

Most light fittings these days at most have a cover you just unscrew by hand and remove the bulb. I can't speak for the US but common types in the UK are recessed spotlights (GU10), directional spotlights (also GU10), or normal hanging bulbs with lampshades. Changing any of those is 99% finding something to stand on and 1% changing the bulb.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Bad Munki posted:

I think I also posted about the living room fireplace in here. That's happening either this week or next, the mantel and drawer cabs are all done. This is the current state of my living room wall:

Holy crap, it’s happening, just got a pic from my guy, the finish on the mantel is done:

I can’t wait to get personal with that thing, the color and texture is amazing, I know I’m gonna spend way too much time sliding my hand along the face, all 15’ of it. Centerpiece for the whole drat floor.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Bad Munki posted:

Hey I'm no designer but I'm a self-taught design thread expert and I put together a couple ideas for you, just some food for thought

The idea here is that a female can sit at the island column thing when she's not cooking or using the bathroom and the whole thing will retract into the floor so she can be put away until needed, might have to open that floor up and make a few changes though idk

Jesus, it's like someone brought a forensics blacklight to an incel's apartment

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Bad Munki posted:

Holy crap, it’s happening, just got a pic from my guy, the finish on the mantel is done:

I can’t wait to get personal with that thing, the color and texture is amazing, I know I’m gonna spend way too much time sliding my hand along the face, all 15’ of it. Centerpiece for the whole drat floor.

That turned out REALLY nice.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Bad Munki posted:

:jackbud:

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Bad Munki posted:

That looks awesome-that's a big damned hunk-o-walnut. They did a great job toning/blending in the sapwood too (assuming there was some as it's live edge?) Do you know what the finish is? I've never thought about using foam to hold stuff on while finishing-I like the idea, but would be worried the solvents in lacquer would make a mess of it. Gonna have to experiment with that now.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

He said it took like four dye treatments to get it the way he wanted. I can’t argue with the results. I think I can see a little bit of a gradient, but not the actual sapwood edge, and honestly any gradient to a darker finish on the face I think looks great, kinda smokey. I have a table with exactly such a color scheme. The top coat is dead flat lacquer, I assume they sprayed that on.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Bad Munki posted:

Me likey!

It's got cracks! Commence TooMuchAbstraction triggering......

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

That looks awesome-that's a big damned hunk-o-walnut. They did a great job toning/blending in the sapwood too (assuming there was some as it's live edge?) Do you know what the finish is? I've never thought about using foam to hold stuff on while finishing-I like the idea, but would be worried the solvents in lacquer would make a mess of it. Gonna have to experiment with that now.

I've never seen sapwood that well integrated, I think he carved it off. Doesn't sapwood grain there kinda dumb out like poplar? He HAD TO HAVE CARVED IT OFF!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Mr. Mambold posted:

Nah, that's fine. It's when the entire piece looks like it's been split in two that I start having problems.

Nice wood, buddy. :v:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Mr. Mambold posted:

Me likey!

A couple at each end, both top and bottom.

quote:

I've never seen sapwood that well integrated, I think he carved it off. Doesn't sapwood grain there kinda dumb out like poplar? He HAD TO HAVE CARVED IT OFF!

Nope, just scraped the bark and sanded it smooth here and there.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Bad Munki posted:

A couple at each end, both top and bottom.

Nope, just scraped the bark and sanded it smooth here and there.

Grain is perfect, looks like all heartwood to me. Way to casually flaunt your wealth with a $1000 log. Or did you harvest that monstah yourself? It's glorious.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Dang, that's a good-looking butterfly join there.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Mr. Mambold posted:

Grain is perfect, looks like all heartwood to me. Way to casually flaunt your wealth with a $1000 log. Or did you harvest that monstah yourself? It's glorious.

It helps that the guy doing this is the husband of one of my wife’s co-workers. Based on my math, we paid wholesale rate on the lumber as if it were the same total board feet but just in normal size pieces of 4/4. Maybe a little more, but not terribly. We got it straight from the tree farm, which is owned/operated by a friend of the guy doing this for us. It’s all about the network.

Here’s the same piece in April of 2017. It’s pretty amazing to me to have picked out the very log, drawn the centerline for what we wanted, and then here we are.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Mr. Mambold posted:

Me likey!

You should have hung out with Mr. Flexner more! Dumb out is the right phrase for poplar sapwood and finish-I have no idea why it does stupid stuff with stain. Walnut is much more cooperative, and a spray gun full of toner/shading lacquer choked down to basically an airbrush is a wonderfully useful tool.

Bad Munki posted:

It helps that the guy doing this is the husband of one of my wife’s co-workers. Based on my math, we paid wholesale rate on the lumber as if it were the same total board feet but just in normal size pieces of 4/4. Maybe a little more, but not terribly. We got it straight from the tree farm, which is owned/operated by a friend of the guy doing this for us. It’s all about the network.

Here’s the same piece in April of 2017. It’s pretty amazing to me to have picked out the very log, drawn the centerline for what we wanted, and then here we are.

Does he just grow walnut for the timber or do they collect/sell the nuts too and then harvest when they're a certain DBH? I've always heard stories of walnut rustlers stealing big trees out of people's yards in the midwest where walnut is reaaaalllly happy.

Also that dried real fast, but walnut is pretty cooperative stuff drying. That's got to be like 16 or 20/4?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
That wood is awesome.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Honestly I don’t know what the story is with the sawmill, we just went over there one day and picked through the pile.

As for drying, he had just built a kiln and parked this on the floor there where it lived for darn near a year as other batches came and went. It was upwards of 6” at that point. Finished out to 5” on the nose.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

big wood big life

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Possibly the son still living at home too.

I agree with this. Late 30's nerd took over his parent's home.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Unf that just makes it better. Real craftsmanship. Didn't see it in the original.

I'm so jealous. And not sure I can work that into the room I'd like it in.......seems that shroud be all rough hewn.

Ignore the furniture that needs to be reupholstered and those awful blinds. But this fireplace is built wrong. I need at least one more course of brick on top. So if I'm already moving poo poo.....

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

https://twitter.com/deviantollam/status/1142260108673482752?s=19

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Jaded Burnout posted:

Most light fittings these days at most have a cover you just unscrew by hand and remove the bulb. I can't speak for the US but common types in the UK are recessed spotlights (GU10), directional spotlights (also GU10), or normal hanging bulbs with lampshades. Changing any of those is 99% finding something to stand on and 1% changing the bulb.

A lot of recessed LED lights are basically sealed pods with no replaceable bits. Some Ikea-level hanging fixtures are the same way.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
What’s the best way to block out sun from those lovely vertically slanted blinds that cover glass sliding doors?

I live in an apartment with them. I don’t think conventional drapes would work because the blinds have those stupid tracks that pop out a few inches from the wall.

At this point I’m thinking of a sleeping blindfold. Unfortunately I’m a super light sleeper (hence needing to block all light) and masks on my face tend to keep me awake.

paberu
Jun 23, 2013

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

What’s the best way to block out sun from those lovely vertically slanted blinds that cover glass sliding doors?

I live in an apartment with them. I don’t think conventional drapes would work because the blinds have those stupid tracks that pop out a few inches from the wall.

You can get brackets at Ikea that can clear the blinds track such as these - https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60217228/ . I have a set of of these and they work really well - enough clearance to have the curtain easily slide.

paberu fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jun 23, 2019

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
The brackets that let you hang a curtain over blinds is probably the best way to go. If you're confident in your handyman skills, you can also just remove the blinds, shove them in a closet until you move out, and put up regular curtains.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

At this point I’m thinking of a sleeping blindfold. Unfortunately I’m a super light sleeper (hence needing to block all light) and masks on my face tend to keep me awake.

Vertical blinds are horrible.

You may be able to unclup the blind parts from the track , and re-use it to pu tip a light, blackout curtain.

Or just put a proper curtain rail in from of it and put up curtains over the lot.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

If it's a bedroom and you don't care about ever being able to let in light you could go with a tinted window film. No glue, no mess, peels off easy when you're ready to move. example: https://www.amazon.com/Gila-Privacy-Static-Residential-Adhesive/dp/B000HE57JS

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

I want to add a new top to a table that used to contain a sewing machine. I think it would look good with a granite top. How would I go about securing a granite slab to a wooden top, or is there a better material?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Maigius posted:

I want to add a new top to a table that used to contain a sewing machine. I think it would look good with a granite top. How would I go about securing a granite slab to a wooden top, or is there a better material?

What kind of sewing table is it?