Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Claytor posted:

None yet. In the game I'm starting, I'm addressing this by allowing the Jedi player to pay an in-career rate for his first Force & Destiny specialization, which will then serve as his career from that point forward.

Yeah that seems like the route to go, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Dathomir Witches for the RPG:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2019/6/5/the-witches-of-dathomir/

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Finally!

They really been holding out on us.

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

"The basis of the Juche Idea is that man is the master of all things and the decisive factor in everything."
- Kim Il-Sung
Well, I am excited to get back to this system. Players voted for Edge of the Empire and we'll be having a session zero. I think two of them indicated they wanted to be droids so it'll be interesting to see how the party composition goes.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Good news: Collapse of the Republic is shipping.

Bad news: the only book in development now is an item vault called Gadget And Gears, which screams "one week from retirement."

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Covok posted:

Good news: Collapse of the Republic is shipping.

Bad news: the only book in development now is an item vault called Gadget And Gears, which screams "one week from retirement."

I wouldn't at all be surprised if we see a Sequel Trilogy Era book next year after Rise of Skywalker hits, and there's still room for a vehicle compendium and maybe collected books of all the specializations from each line or something.

Covok
May 27, 2013

jivjov posted:

I wouldn't at all be surprised if we see a Sequel Trilogy Era book next year after Rise of Skywalker hits, and there's still room for a vehicle compendium and maybe collected books of all the specializations from each line or something.

That would be pretty awesome and they can probably get 2 books (maybe 3) out of it. Pre-Starkiller base, post-starkiller, and maybe post-Rise of Skywalker. Give the series the needed shot in the arm.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Yeah it's not like a 2.0 is needed, so they could slow their release schedule or release nothing at all and the game would be fine.

KotOR, Sequels, and adventure books would be welcome though

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

alg posted:

Yeah it's not like a 2.0 is needed, so they could slow their release schedule or release nothing at all and the game would be fine.

KotOR, Sequels, and adventure books would be welcome though

Theres that rumour that KotOR movies are coming up to be made so makes sense they might get in. The again KotOR is locked in with EA - Bioware rights to some degree so I have no idea what licencing is involved for FFG.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
The Genesys subreddit is kinda dead lately for the last month. It makes me hope stuff is still selling okay for FFG to keep supporting it. Beanstalk was great.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Why didn't someone warn me that the Order 66 podcast sucks spaceballs? I tried listening to the Rogue One episode and it was ten minutes of plugs, wacky morning DJ voice, and then I realized they recorded it on opening weekend.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jun 21, 2019

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

jeeves posted:

The Genesys subreddit is kinda dead lately for the last month. It makes me hope stuff is still selling okay for FFG to keep supporting it. Beanstalk was great.

Well, it's a setting-less RPG. Isn't the entire point of Genesys that you can make your own settings with it? It's what I'm doing.

Covok
May 27, 2013

jeeves posted:

The associated discord has activity. I actually brought this up with them. They attribute it to summer, but they also hope gencon livens things up.

Personally? Genesys can be way more involved to hack than Fate and requires more mechanical knowledge than Savage Worlds. So a lot of hacks die on the vine before release, most likely. This discourages people and decreases activity on the reddit. If to say nothing of the GMs who get fatigued trying to run one from the ground up.

This system, while solid, was not a prime candidate for being generic.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Halloween Jack posted:

Why didn't someone warn me that the Order 66 podcast sucks spaceballs? I tried listening to the Rogue One episode and it was ten minutes of plugs, wacky morning DJ voice, and then I realized they recorded it on opening weekend.

They're not bad when they're actually talking about the RPG. They just spend WAY too long on the whole "Gamer Nation" network stuff and whatnot.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

jivjov posted:

They're not bad when they're actually talking about the RPG. They just spend WAY too long on the whole "Gamer Nation" network stuff and whatnot.

Yeah, I skip straight through all that stuff.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
This is off-topic, but half of it is just that I can't stand geek podcasts where they go into this sort of "Wacky Morning DJ, but for geeks" mode. I did volunteer radio for a few years, and one of the best pieces of advice I ever got was "Don't do a cliche Wacky DJ character. Half of all people who go into radio do that because they think they have to, and they'll be gone in a year."

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I wish RPGs, especially near the end of product like this, would put out books that are a collection of all the usable Species, Careers and equipment. It probably wouldn't sell well enough to justify it and would also not go well with people that bought all the previous books for character options.

I can dream, at least.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I wish RPGs, especially near the end of product like this, would put out books that are a collection of all the usable Species, Careers and equipment. It probably wouldn't sell well enough to justify it and would also not go well with people that bought all the previous books for character options.

I can dream, at least.

Can always hope for compendium releases a decade later like VTM20, I guess.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Anyone got any advice for handling scale? I think I'm managing pretty well but it's always nice to see what other people think, folks usually have good suggestions I would have never thought of otherwise.

See, this campaign has been running for several years now, and it's starting to get...big. The party started off with 15 NPC subordinates and currently have 3,000. They started off with a light freighter and currently have a scratch fleet of about a dozen extremely stolen ships of varying size and condition. They have fighter squadrons, plural. They have tanks, plural. They're currently considering blackmailing an Imperial Moff in one of the Outer Rim sectors they're tooling around in into turning double agent, and have the skills and resources available to conceivably pull it off.

If you were running that campaign in that system, what would you do to keep the game fun? How would you use this system in a campaign where the players are not a plucky rebel cell anymore, but the people back at headquarters giving orders to the plucky cells? How do you keep the game's economy from breaking when the players have a budget measured in the millions? How do you let them exercise meaningful control over their organization without making the campaign entirely about boring administrative poo poo? And how do you make sure they still get opportunities to get their hands dirty and personally shoot things from time to time?

The game technically has rules accounting for all of these possibilities - there's mass combat rules, rules for building bases, all sorts of weapons and gear and vehicles that are only really relevant if you're working with dozens or hundreds of people, etc. I'm just trying to see how people have combined all of those into a cohesive whole.

So far the whole thing seems to be working okay, the players have all said they're greatly enjoying the campaign (somebody said it was their favorite tabletop experience ever which made me blush), but at times I do get the feeling that things are starting to get away from me a bit. At this point the party's strategist player is putting together a plan to begin a wide-scale guerrilla campaign across an entire sector and the plot has gradually evolved into a full-on war story, entirely without prompting by me, which is honestly extremely cool, but I'm often scrambling to make the story the players have realized they want to tell fit within the rules system they're using. The system is designed not to have to use tactical maps or strict positioning or range rules and the mass combat system is so cursory it's almost an afterthought, but my players are drawing up maps and moving troop counters around and sketching planning lines and developing tactics and poo poo and I'm over here trying to work out ways to adapt the plans they're making to the game system they are actually playing.

The way I've been doing it is by offloading a lot of the fleet's poo poo to offscreen actions carried out by NPCs between sessions, but letting the players make rolls and decisions that influence the outcome of those activities. I've been experimenting with letting them choose from several possible outcomes for these offscreen missions, out of a multiple-choice list they build by making some rolls to represent planning the operation (for example, the party just sent a salvage team to rob a ship graveyard, they decided to order the team to focus on finding flyable ships to steal, they successfully plotted a route that would take the team past Imperial security, so the salvage team had plenty of time to look around and they got to pick several options from a list of poo poo the team could access). I've also been running mass combat and regular combat at the same time, and running multiple separate mass combats at once to represent several parts of a larger battle, instead of just one mass combat representing the entire battle. I'm making heavy use of computers so it's honestly not as complicated as it sounds.

The main difficulty I've been having is letting the players do what they want without overwhelming them. Each player character has goals and motivations at this point that could all be individual RPG campaigns in their own right, and all command substantial personnel and resources independent of the rest of the party. Everything they want to do is a potential story arc with potential for cool and interesting gameplay, and I want to let them do that stuff and have the fun experiences they want to have, without completely losing focus or giving them so many options they're left completely unsure what to do next. Above all, I want to do it without taking their poo poo away unless there's a drat good story reason for it, because they really do seem to be having a lot of fun with this and I want to let them see where it goes.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Someone's got Collapse of the Republic

https://imgur.com/a/Uihueeg

Jedi and Clones get SigAbs!

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Wow the "Quick Path to Power" option is really cool. At character creation only the player can spend 30XP for 2 Force ranks. That sounds fun for games in other eras too.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Just got my own copy picked up, if anyone had more info requests

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

alg posted:

At character creation only the player can spend 30XP for 2 Force ranks.

What do you mean, only the player?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

DJ Dizzy posted:

What do you mean, only the player?

At character creation only, the player can.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Basically, you can sacrifise turning an attribute from 2 to a 3 to raise your force rating by 1. Which is sort of worth it. A Force Rating is arguably equal to an attribute. Just like an attribute, it uniformly increases the number of dice you roll for a lot of different checks (all force powers, which can be everything from totally isolated rolls to enhanced skill checks). And, with the sole exception of the Padawan talent tree from Rise of the Seperatists, all Force Rating increases are final row talents, just like the Attribute increase talents.

If you want to be a Force user, it won't gimp you. Is it optimal choice? Debatable. I think it depends on your choice of Force Powers, Attributes, and Skills. But I don't think it is suboptimal and could really help a lot of builds. Especially builds that benefit from quicker access to higher tier force powers.

I once played a Zabrak who was a barefisted dark side user who focused on never needing weapons. He focused on force enhance. His unarmed combat made him a beast. He would destroy anyone he could reach thanks to talents lowering unarmed crit range. His unarmed crit range got so low that he crit with every hit; he was a killing machine. But I would use this to get to Force Power: Unleash faster to make up the lack of a range option, his build's big weakness.

He was also supposed to be Dathomirian so the Nightsister tree is perfect and ichor weapons are perfect for his theme. It was inspired by nightsisters from Clone Wars.

Covok fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jun 29, 2019

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Admiral Joeslop posted:

At character creation only, the player can.

Ah. Makes more sense now.

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

Mister Bates posted:

Anyone got any advice for handling scale? I think I'm managing pretty well but it's always nice to see what other people think, folks usually have good suggestions I would have never thought of otherwise.

See, this campaign has been running for several years now, and it's starting to get...big. The party started off with 15 NPC subordinates and currently have 3,000. They started off with a light freighter and currently have a scratch fleet of about a dozen extremely stolen ships of varying size and condition. They have fighter squadrons, plural. They have tanks, plural. They're currently considering blackmailing an Imperial Moff in one of the Outer Rim sectors they're tooling around in into turning double agent, and have the skills and resources available to conceivably pull it off.

If you were running that campaign in that system, what would you do to keep the game fun? How would you use this system in a campaign where the players are not a plucky rebel cell anymore, but the people back at headquarters giving orders to the plucky cells? How do you keep the game's economy from breaking when the players have a budget measured in the millions? How do you let them exercise meaningful control over their organization without making the campaign entirely about boring administrative poo poo? And how do you make sure they still get opportunities to get their hands dirty and personally shoot things from time to time?

The game technically has rules accounting for all of these possibilities - there's mass combat rules, rules for building bases, all sorts of weapons and gear and vehicles that are only really relevant if you're working with dozens or hundreds of people, etc. I'm just trying to see how people have combined all of those into a cohesive whole.

So far the whole thing seems to be working okay, the players have all said they're greatly enjoying the campaign (somebody said it was their favorite tabletop experience ever which made me blush), but at times I do get the feeling that things are starting to get away from me a bit. At this point the party's strategist player is putting together a plan to begin a wide-scale guerrilla campaign across an entire sector and the plot has gradually evolved into a full-on war story, entirely without prompting by me, which is honestly extremely cool, but I'm often scrambling to make the story the players have realized they want to tell fit within the rules system they're using. The system is designed not to have to use tactical maps or strict positioning or range rules and the mass combat system is so cursory it's almost an afterthought, but my players are drawing up maps and moving troop counters around and sketching planning lines and developing tactics and poo poo and I'm over here trying to work out ways to adapt the plans they're making to the game system they are actually playing.

The way I've been doing it is by offloading a lot of the fleet's poo poo to offscreen actions carried out by NPCs between sessions, but letting the players make rolls and decisions that influence the outcome of those activities. I've been experimenting with letting them choose from several possible outcomes for these offscreen missions, out of a multiple-choice list they build by making some rolls to represent planning the operation (for example, the party just sent a salvage team to rob a ship graveyard, they decided to order the team to focus on finding flyable ships to steal, they successfully plotted a route that would take the team past Imperial security, so the salvage team had plenty of time to look around and they got to pick several options from a list of poo poo the team could access). I've also been running mass combat and regular combat at the same time, and running multiple separate mass combats at once to represent several parts of a larger battle, instead of just one mass combat representing the entire battle. I'm making heavy use of computers so it's honestly not as complicated as it sounds.

The main difficulty I've been having is letting the players do what they want without overwhelming them. Each player character has goals and motivations at this point that could all be individual RPG campaigns in their own right, and all command substantial personnel and resources independent of the rest of the party. Everything they want to do is a potential story arc with potential for cool and interesting gameplay, and I want to let them do that stuff and have the fun experiences they want to have, without completely losing focus or giving them so many options they're left completely unsure what to do next. Above all, I want to do it without taking their poo poo away unless there's a drat good story reason for it, because they really do seem to be having a lot of fun with this and I want to let them see where it goes.

This sounds really cool. I started my players off with a bit more support than was ideal, so I spent a lot of braintime having reasons why their Corellian Corvette couldn’t solve every problem from orbit.

It sounds like your guys are happier running Star Wars: Mon Mothma and Airen Cracken than Star Wars : Han and Luke.

Mass combat and similar rules are definitely your saving graces in this system though.

Maybe propose they shift down a few levels and take over protégés occasionally? They can keep broader control of the cell, but actual play time can be more blasting stormtroopers and less spreadsheets.

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

"The basis of the Juche Idea is that man is the master of all things and the decisive factor in everything."
- Kim Il-Sung
I just gotten a few sessions into playing the Star Wars FFG RPG system again and I have to say I am still in love with it. It has been about two years since I last ran it. Running an Edge of the Empire and so far the players have been having lots of fun. Last session I threw the one player's obligation of looking to get back at a smuggler rival by having him steal a gift, a person encased in carbonite from around 4k years ago, he was giving to a local crime lord.

Suffice to say, they found out the local crime lord was Ex-New Republic Special Forces which was way over their head and the 40+ year old B1 Battledroid player decided in a panic to thaw out the person and rush out. He couldn't carry it by himself and was having a hard time putting it on a repulsorlift flatbed. The ensuing chase was great with them panicking trying to find a way out of the underhive of Nar Shaddaa and get back to their ship. They just limped back to Rishi where the local planetary authority figure was going to impound the ship since it was something he wanted, but the party decided to try and hack his records to make it appear to be an Imperial Black Ops vessel and ensure he doesn't mess with them. He was very pale and informed them that they are free to use the facilities services and that everything will be comped on him.

God, this game is amazing to run and these players are new to it so they are enjoying something that isn't D&D.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

For a theoretical Edge game, is there any reason not to offer all the careers from Edge and AoR? Same for Species but I imagine there's much less of a difference there.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Admiral Joeslop posted:

For a theoretical Edge game, is there any reason not to offer all the careers from Edge and AoR? Same for Species but I imagine there's much less of a difference there.

Later splat careers tend to be more interesting- CRB ones for AoR and EotE are full of fairly dull ‘add boost/remove setback’ talents, with fewer new abilities like Scathing Tirade/Improved Researcher etc. So you might want to point this out if they’re all open.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Some spec trees assume that you're gonna be in a setting where they make sense (for example, some AoR talents talk about getting more supplies from the rebellion, having better Mass Combat ability, etc) but otherwise there's no issue mixing and matching to your heart's content

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Cool, I could just change some talents around if it became an issue.

A Single Sphink
Feb 10, 2004

COMICS CRIMINAL

I played the beginner box with my friends, and we're starting the game proper in the near future. I decided to start as a human Sentinel with the Shadow spec. Any advice on how I should put this jabroni together? I'm assuming starting xp is mostly going to be tied up in characteristics, since you can't raise those afterwards, but I'm open to suggestions.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Re: Genesys

Does it break the game completely to bump starting stats of all races up by 1 from the standard? My setting is a space opera setting where the big-player races all have some kind of genetic engineering/cybernetic enhancement/psionic enhancement going on.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

DJ Dizzy posted:

Re: Genesys

Does it break the game completely to bump starting stats of all races up by 1 from the standard? My setting is a space opera setting where the big-player races all have some kind of genetic engineering/cybernetic enhancement/psionic enhancement going on.

Yeah dont do that. The standard check is 2 purple, which means if you have a stat of 2 with no skill, you're rolling 2 green. This means you statistically you have more of a chance to pass (only just) with threat than anything else. Everything above 2 means you are more likely to pass than fail a standard check. If everyone is at stat of 3 before buying skills you're rapidly turning things into more of an auto-success/rocket tag combat than anything else.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

A Single Sphink posted:

I played the beginner box with my friends, and we're starting the game proper in the near future. I decided to start as a human Sentinel with the Shadow spec. Any advice on how I should put this jabroni together? I'm assuming starting xp is mostly going to be tied up in characteristics, since you can't raise those afterwards, but I'm open to suggestions.

Answers are going to depend on the starting build stuff, like are you playing Knight level (extra 150xp after character creation) or what your group bonus is (holocron/relic, ship, or mentor). The best general advice I can give is to grab talents that let you make a beeline for an increased Force rating because the more Force dice you have the better.

A Single Sphink
Feb 10, 2004

COMICS CRIMINAL

We are fresh builds. No knight level, as this is a new system for us. We've got ourselves a ship as our group bonus. We're basically continuing from where the EotE Beginner game leaves off after escaping the planet, and making new guys if we want, instead of the pregens.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

A Single Sphink posted:

We are fresh builds. No knight level, as this is a new system for us. We've got ourselves a ship as our group bonus. We're basically continuing from where the EotE Beginner game leaves off after escaping the planet, and making new guys if we want, instead of the pregens.

Then, yeah. First things first is to make sure your character can survive. I'm not sure if the game is more combat or skill challenge-oriented, but Shadow doesn't do you many favors combat-wise. Depending on what bonus skill you pick as a Human, you might want to pick up Sleight of Mind and Well-Rounded so that you can pick up a combat skill (ranged light, lightsaber, etc.) because Triumphs in combat are good and non-class skills are expensive as gently caress. If you do go that route, I'd also suggest picking up Discipline or Cool as a class skill because the Sentinel specializations don't include either as additional skills and they comes in handy. Both are used for Fear checks and recovering strain. Cool helps with Initiative, Discipline helps with Force powers. I'd pick the one that has the highest Characteristic, Presence for Cool or Willpower for Discipline.

Personally, I like making a beeline for the Force talent before spending too much on Force powers since they are expensive and I hate gaining conflict. Some of the talents along the way look kind of meh, but that beeline takes you in the right direction to unlock all of your Dodge talents and Dedication talent. If you decide to pick up Force powers, I recommend Sense as a very useful power to spend xp on even at a low Force rating. Buy the basic power and control upgrade to commit 1 Force die so that all attack rolls against you have their difficulty upgraded by 1. Combine that with Dodge, and you should increase the odds of enemies missing and/or rolling Despairs when attacking you.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
We're only on our second session and I'm already really pleased with how the vehicle and combat rules work together. One of my biggest disappointments with many RPGs is how combat just boils down to pulling guns and firing until the enemy drops.

We stole some speeders to chase down the enemy, made them crash, and crash our own speeders. We even captured an enemy off his speeder and stole it while both vehicles were in motion. It really helped that they dropped a thermal detonator inside their own cab.

jivjov posted:

"Gamer Nation." In 2019, I can't think of anything more appealing that "gamer" as an identity, and tying it to the idea of the nation-state!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Halloween Jack posted:

"Gamer Nation." In 2019, I can't think of anything more appealing that "gamer" as an identity, and tying it to the idea of the nation-state!

They probably feel like they're stuck with the branding. Their podcast network is "d20 Radio" and they originally started with one of the WotC Star Wars games (Saga?) way back in 2008 when it was much less embarrassing.