Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I keep my Switch from being stolen by selling it whenever I'm not using it and buying a new one when I feel like playing something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Mega64 posted:

I keep my Switch from being stolen by selling it whenever I'm not using it and buying a new one when I feel like playing something.

Galaxy brain

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Got teleported into a blocked off shop in Necrodancer. I had no bombs and couldn't break the wall so I basically had to wait until the song ended.

It dropped me into a room with minibosses and I immediately died. Thanks for wasting my time game

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Read a couple reviews of CTR saying it ran decently on Switch. And one YouTube guy who can't fault the performance but despises the gameplay

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Sudden Javelin posted:

Read a couple reviews of CTR saying it ran decently on Switch. And one YouTube guy who can't fault the performance but despises the gameplay

Apparently it’s a pretty faithful remake.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Len posted:

Got teleported into a blocked off shop in Necrodancer. I had no bombs and couldn't break the wall so I basically had to wait until the song ended.

It dropped me into a room with minibosses and I immediately died. Thanks for wasting my time game
You're always dropped into a miniboss room if you fail to complete the floor in time or fall down a trap door.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Mega64 posted:

That's a pretty good idea so you can keep the matte finish on the screen fresh.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Gotta make sure you bake the new console as soon as you take it out of the box though, so that's a timesink

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Nevermind, I heard (from Switchwatch their scores are a joke, but info is info) CTR is 30fps, so gently caress that. Guess I'm waiting for Virtua Racing next week or so instead.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

is that Crash Racing game actually good or is this just another instance of Europe being extremely and implausibly into Crash Bandicoot, because I remember the Crash collection being at no.1 on the UK games sales charts forever and thinking "English people are weird af"

lol though at a racing game that runs at 30fps on Switch, gently caress that

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
Upcoming Luigi's Mansion 3 looks disappointingly unpolished. Like everything clips into everything else, the animations don't flow smoothly together they just override one another. There's a ghost dog that shows up on your screen with flashing button prompts from time to time, the money you find flies all over the place so it's irritating to gather if you wanted to do that. You are forced to use "gooigi" in order to open a lot of crates because it means you have to use the mechanic.

Luigi makes minion sounds constantly. Half the features of the game look like they were shoe horned in there by executives who didn't think the game was exciting enough. And graphic icons are gigantic and blurry and badly drawn and ugly. This is not the level of polish I have become accustomed to from Nintendo.

I was looking forward to this.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Nolgthorn posted:

Upcoming Luigi's Mansion 3 looks disappointingly unpolished. Like everything clips into everything else, the animations don't flow smoothly together they just override one another. There's a ghost dog that shows up on your screen with flashing button prompts from time to time, the money you find flies all over the place so it's irritating to gather if you wanted to do that. You are forced to use "gooigi" in order to open a lot of crates because it means you have to use the mechanic.

Luigi makes minion sounds constantly. Half the features of the game look like they were shoe horned in there by executives who didn't think the game was exciting enough. And graphic icons are gigantic and blurry and badly drawn and ugly. This is not the level of polish I have become accustomed to from Nintendo.

Oh, huh. It was looking pretty good to me from what I saw. Is this based off of the E3 footage, or did you get to play the build yourself?

Hopefully it does shape up by release.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

DLC Inc posted:

is that Crash Racing game actually good or is this just another instance of Europe being extremely and implausibly into Crash Bandicoot, because I remember the Crash collection being at no.1 on the UK games sales charts forever and thinking "English people are weird af"

It’s okay but it’s no Mario Kart. Like what I said with Sonic Team Racing, there’s really no reason to play it over MK8D unless you’re bored of that game and really want more kart racing.

And yeah, MK is 60fps while those 2 are 30 on Switch.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Araxxor posted:

Oh, huh. It was looking pretty good to me from what I saw. Is this based off of the E3 footage, or did you get to play the build yourself?

Hopefully it does shape up by release.

No I've just been watching other people play it. Maybe I'm old but I can't see myself enjoying it. I might go get the 3ds one from a few years ago that looked excellent and I never played it.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Nolgthorn posted:

oh no I have to collect monies and a dog shows up sometimes. what an unpolished piece of poo poo lol

Nolgthorn posted:

No I've just been watching other people play it

lol

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Oh christ the kids are here

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

DLC Inc posted:

A friend of mine had it for Playstation back in the day :canada:, and it was arguably the best non-Need For Speed/Gran Turismo racing game of its generation, even against MTGP and MK64.
I never played DK Racing though.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Nolgthorn posted:

Oh christ the kids are here

Don't sign your posts.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Why play a game when I can watch someone else play it and form my opinions that way?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

speaking of which I'm anxious to see Switch footage for Bloodstained since the only footage I remember initially was from demo units that laughably were kept in tight boxes which made the Switches overheat so badly the entire game ran exponentially worse. Idk if any other footage exists besides from the nightmare sweatbox demo.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

What the gently caress are minion noises

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

Waffleman_ posted:

The noises the horde of jaundiced dicks make from the despicable me movies.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

Ask the kids, apparently they’re here.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

No I understand that, but I mean in the context of Luigi

I mean, I think I get what you mean by that, but that's just how Super Mario be. Those boys are always just makin noises.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Maybe he’s confusing minions with shyguys

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I love those little guys though.

Spruchy
May 12, 2013

I am not a machine. I feel and believe. I have opinions. Some of them are interesting. I could, if you would let me, talk and talk. Let us talk about anything.

DLC Inc posted:

speaking of which I'm anxious to see Switch footage for Bloodstained since the only footage I remember initially was from demo units that laughably were kept in tight boxes which made the Switches overheat so badly the entire game ran exponentially worse. Idk if any other footage exists besides from the nightmare sweatbox demo.

I played it for 3 hours on my twitch the other day, should be in my videos tab:

https://www.twitch.tv/spruchy

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

It's what Toad's people do.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Spruchy posted:

I played it for 3 hours on my twitch the other day, should be in my videos tab:

https://www.twitch.tv/spruchy

Nice, thanks for this. Normally I'm not a stickler for 30fps if it's locked (is it?) though in this case, the PS4 version just looks way better right now to me. Even with the portable aspect, Bloodstained has some really pretty grafix in full resolution so now I'm not sure which version I want. Of course you'd know better than I would, if the Switch graphics are that much of a downgrade from PS4/PC.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Coincidentally, the upcoming Super Mario animated movie is being made by Illumination, who are primarily famous for having made the Minion movies.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I will be buying Cadence of Hyrule one day (the name could've been CaDANCE but whatever), but the music is so so good. Baranowsky did a wonderful job with his own melodies and remixing around the standards. Especially, when you hear a small LttP lick show up, it's just delightful. Does Doom Mountain peaceful seem to have a bit of the X-Files theme in it? It's great.

My favorite still has to be the song of storms remix, it's so cool.

Pijeus
Feb 24, 2007
Grimey Drawer

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Well sounds like it crashed before you had installed the last pre release update

Possibly, I didn't get a prompt for the second patch after the first one loaded though, it just launched the game. Happy to report no further issues since, it plays identically to how it used to and it's a gorgeous nostalgia trip. The 30 fps isn't noticeable at all to me, but the always online requirement to earn in game currency is just awful, it's manageable in the house but who just leaves their switch connected all the time when out?
Overall I really like it, but the currency thing is weird, and I heard somewhere that you only get decent amounts of it while playing online too, which is a bummer since I didn't get switch online and the requirements for some of the unlocks are pretty steep. They don't do it as a straight up list of things you can work towards either, it's a daily deal list that refreshes every few hours.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
THE KIDS ARE HERE! THE KIDS ARE HERE!

*turns on monitor*

Oh.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

DLC Inc posted:

oh no I have to collect monies and a dog shows up sometimes. what an unpolished piece of poo poo lol

lol

I haven't ayed Luigi's Mansion in forever but wasn't having to vacuum up money always a thing? Iirc doesn't it even fade away after a couple seconds leaving you without money?

Although I thought watching gameplay was a valid way to form opinions about a game?

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

I had totally forgotten about luigio's spooky house 3 until I saw it in the Nintondo Direct but came out of that very impressed, imho???

the animation seem'd really great. the "override" opinion seems to me more just like the usual thing in a good game of the player input having priority over a prebaked animation being allowed to play out its whole set of frames before the requested action impacts the game state

maybe??

WAHHHHHHHHHHH

Bulgakov fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Jun 22, 2019

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I will be buying Cadence of Hyrule one day (the name could've been CaDANCE but whatever), but the music is so so good. Baranowsky did a wonderful job with his own melodies and remixing around the standards. Especially, when you hear a small LttP lick show up, it's just delightful. Does Doom Mountain peaceful seem to have a bit of the X-Files theme in it? It's great.

My favorite still has to be the song of storms remix, it's so cool.

It's called Cadence of Hyrule because Cadence is the name of the main protagonist of Crypt of the Necrodancer. If they called it Cadance that would ruin the title having that nod to both series.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah I've watched the same Luigi's Mansion 3 footage as you and I feel like it's one of the most polished looking games I've seen on the Switch. The animation is just gorgeous and the characters the most expressive they've ever done.

My only complaint is I don't like them killing ghosts with slamming. Slamming mechanic is a good idea but ghosts should be slammed down to 1hp and then sucked up. Doesn't feel right not capturing them.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

The only thing I can agree with is Luigi has this weird animation thing I saw in a few clips where he'd do his "Yow! A ghost" Animation with his upper body (arms stiff to his side, real big expressive teeth clinch look on his face) while his legs were like, still moving around normally. Luigi's upper half just pivoting around and leaning back and forth like one of those old weeble wobble toy things.

It looks really strange and funny- but not in a "we intended for this" kind of way.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Jun 22, 2019

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Yeah I've watched the same Luigi's Mansion 3 footage as you and I feel like it's one of the most polished looking games I've seen on the Switch. The animation is just gorgeous and the characters the most expressive they've ever done.

My only complaint is I don't like them killing ghosts with slamming. Slamming mechanic is a good idea but ghosts should be slammed down to 1hp and then sucked up. Doesn't feel right not capturing them.

you and I are in solidarity about feeling that dealing with the ghosts often seems too rude :hai:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

(arms stiff to his side, real big expressive teeth clinch look on his face) while his legs were like, still moving around normally.

mods please punish this doxing of my webcam