Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Annath posted:

Uh, wouldn't steaming without the water, and therefore the steam, just be baking?

Maybe? I microwave florets for like a minute or two with french butter. Since the container is full of steam I assumed they were steaming themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Beachcomber posted:

Maybe? I microwave florets for like a minute or two with french butter. Since the container is full of steam I assumed they were steaming themselves.

There's water in butter:btroll:

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
I can't believe this is a struggle but it is. Is there a soup container on this Earth that is microwaveable and actually leakproof? I actively do not want insulation here--I'm want to be able to batch up soup and take it to work from the fridge. I also do not want my bag to smell like tomato bisque for six months again.

Edit: I would also settle for metal to get that good water bottle tight seal, just so long as it isn't insulated.

Nicol Bolas fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jun 21, 2019

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Thumposaurus posted:

There's water in butter:btroll:

In 1 tbs of butter? And I don't always add it.

Nicol Bolas posted:

I can't believe this is a struggle but it is. Is there a soup container on this Earth that is microwaveable and actually leakproof? I actively do not want insulation here--I'm want to be able to batch up soup and take it to work from the fridge. I also do not want my bag to smell like tomato bisque for six months again.

Edit: I would also settle for metal to get that good water bottle tight seal, just so long as it isn't insulated.

I use Ziploc disposable twist lid containers, but I've never stress tested them.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Those ziplock twist lid containers are not leakproof.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Nicol Bolas posted:

Does it need a microwave safe lid? I feel like a mason jar (with a canning lid) and a piece of wax paper is the super easy solution, assuming glass isn't a problem.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I accidentally somehow misinterpeted "a pinch of sugar" as "a big tablespoon of sugar" in a recipe for a pot roast/braise kind of thing. It tastes okay if oddly sweet now, but I just started it and the juice hasn't reduced at all. Is there anything I can do to counteract the sweetness once it reduces?

Add a fuckton of chillies and it will taste like you meant it to be that way

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Nicol Bolas posted:

Have you tried the glass Pyrex ones? They have ones that have a rubber gasket and a little push-button to seal it. I'm not 100% sure if it's leakproof or not but it's worth a try. My grocery store carries them.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I just put the container inside a ziploc.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Steve Yun posted:

My kimchi is soggy. What causes soggy kimchi? How can I adjust my recipes to avoid this?

I always add a little glutinous rice flour, which turns that extra juice into a thickish broth of awesome.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

guppy posted:

Have you tried the glass Pyrex ones? They have ones that have a rubber gasket and a little push-button to seal it. I'm not 100% sure if it's leakproof or not but it's worth a try. My grocery store carries them.

both of these options are available at costco and go on sale 2-3 times a year:

glass snapware (glass bowl, plastic lid) do a really good job

for an all-plastic option, rubbermaid has ones with a really nice gasket, locking tabs and steam release holes (which only release steam if you open the locking tabs). i like these too, much better stain resistance than a lot of other cheaper tupperware but they can still get damaged from microwaving too hot with too much oil/fat.
http://www.rubbermaid.com/en-US/brilliance-food-storage-containers

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jun 21, 2019

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Another vote for canning jars. I have glass lock which works 100% water tight but for soups it's heavy and the plastic lid might hold colors from turmeric or tomato. I usually save it for non-liquid things.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Beachcomber posted:

In 1 tbs of butter? And I don't always add it.

Butter is 15% water or so

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Anyone have any green smoothie recipes they really like?

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that

Annath posted:

In addition to looking for a good recipe for karaage, I just got back from 3 days of travel, and the eggs I put in my pickled onions have become cloudy/fuzzy.

It's probably yeast/'mother of vinegar.'

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

fart store posted:

It's probably yeast/'mother of vinegar.'

huh just looked up what this is...and it explains the 'cloud of what the gently caress' i discovered in my white wine vinegar jar last week.

i tossed it cause i assumed it was a bad thing :v:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

It's vinegar, it cannot go bad.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I always add a little glutinous rice flour, which turns that extra juice into a thickish broth of awesome.

I’m not concerned about the juice, I’m concerned about the vegetables being soggy and limp

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Steve Yun posted:

I’m not concerned about the juice, I’m concerned about the vegetables being soggy and limp

Have you tried calcium chloride? It works for pickles.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

poeticoddity posted:

Have you tried calcium chloride? It works for pickles.
Or adding oak, grape, horseradish, or whatever leaves, or a little black tea.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
The radish and thick ribbed parts of the cabbage are always sturdy months in, but the leafy parts of the cabbage get wilty. Those wilty bits are my favorite parts though.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Nicol Bolas posted:

Another vote for canning jars. Ball even makes leakproof reusable plastic lids for them now. I haven't tested them beyond chia pudding levels.

I also like the Rubbermaid ones linked above; used them for years and haven't had a problem.

If you really can't find anything, get a roll of Parafilm and wrap it around the jar/lid junction after closing. We would do that all the time in the lab and everything stayed inside that should have.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Bring the soup in a bottle, pour it into a bowl at work and reheat.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Any tips on getting more flavor out of the broth in beef stew? I've tried adding beef base and spices but it's still bland.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Note: the plastic lids for Ball jars definitely leak liquids

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

super sweet best pal posted:

Any tips on getting more flavor out of the broth in beef stew? I've tried adding beef base and spices but it's still bland.
Red wine reduction and tomato paste.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
What's the best way to go about reusing fry oil?

I use peanut oil to make fried chicken and my family loving loves it. I have never recycled oil before but it's not cheap and apparently you can reuse it. Any tricks involved? Am I asking for food poisoning?

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that

Resting Lich Face posted:

What's the best way to go about reusing fry oil?

I use peanut oil to make fried chicken and my family loving loves it. I have never recycled oil before but it's not cheap and apparently you can reuse it. Any tricks involved? Am I asking for food poisoning?

Strain it with as fine a strainer as you can get your hands on. Don't mix oil you've used to fry smelly stuff like fish back in with your main batch of oil. Used oil will take on flavors of stuff you've fried and impart those flavors on things you fry later.

You can store it at room temp. There's not really a risk of food poisoning. Rancid oil smells sort of like old fish and will make your food take on a fishy-in-an-unpleasant-way smell/flavor. Even then it won't kill you, it just tastes gross.

I use a tea towel to strain my oil and I store it in labeled coffee cans. If you decide to use cloth to filter your oil, wash it immediately because oily rags can self-ignite if you leave 'em lying around.

e: If you store your oil in a hot environment, it will go rancid faster than if you store it in a cool/cold environment. Don't store your oil in a place/container where sunlight hits it, because it'll go bad faster.

vvv that's a pretty cool idea. I like to use a towel to strain because it's finer than a mesh strainer and as reusable as it gets.

fart store fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jun 22, 2019

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
That sounds like a lot of effort, just do this https://www.seriouseats.com/2016/06/clean-cooking-oil-with-gelatin-technique.html

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

SubG posted:

That could work, would help thicken it too.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

My veg box came with a load of really great carrots this week. Anything I can do with the leaves, or should I feed them to my snails?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

super sweet best pal posted:

That could work, would help thicken it too.
It's a bog-standard approach to stews/braises: sear off your protein then reserve, sweat your onions and other veg that want it, deglaze with wine, reduce, add a Tbsp or two of tomato paste and stir it around for a few, re-add your protein, add stock or water or whatever, add your HdP or whatever, simmer/pressure cook until done. The wine and tomato are mostly for colour and body more than thickening, if you want more of a gravy than a jus use some flour, roux, cornstarch, arrowroot, or whatever fits the genre of your stew.

Scientastic posted:

My veg box came with a load of really great carrots this week. Anything I can do with the leaves, or should I feed them to my snails?
They're an edible green, so you can use them however. But I think most of the places I've see 'em used has been as a garnish or like a pesto/chimichurri/whatever on top of a carrot dish, where the carrot greens are subbed for the parsley or whatever. They're fine, but I've never had a dish where I've been all holy gently caress carrot greens this changes everything or whatever.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

SubG posted:

I like fish sauce here as well in many situations

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Scientastic posted:

They make a great pesto. I do want to know more about these snails though.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

Holy poo poo! :stwoon:

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

prayer group posted:

They make a great pesto. I do want to know more about these snails though.

We have pet giant African land snails. They are called Flash, Lettuce McQueen and Molly the Mollusc.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Mordiceius posted:

Anyone have any green smoothie recipes they really like?

Spinach, apple, pinapple juice, ice, green grapes and fiber powder if you got them. That's my favorite.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Scientastic posted:

We have pet giant African land snails. They are called Flash, Lettuce McQueen and Molly the Mollusc.
A lot of butter, minced shallot and garlic, some of those carrot greens chiffonaded, a squeeze of lemon, s&p.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

SubG posted:

A lot of butter, minced shallot and garlic, some of those carrot greens chiffonaded, a squeeze of lemon, s&p.

Hold your horses, that would destroy my burgeoning snail caviar farm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Has anyone here actually gotten this to work