Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

"All New Japan fans care about is workrate!" declares angry man about company that got a pop for Taichi being in the G1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Jerusalem posted:

"All New Japan fans care about is workrate!" declares angry man about company that got a pop for Taichi being in the G1.

Agreed, Taichi shouldn't be in the G1.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Why is your example for NJPW fans not caring about workrate them cheering for the best and hardest worker in the company being rewarded for years of toil?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Why is your example for NJPW fans not caring about workrate them cheering for the best and hardest worker in the company being rewarded for years of toil?

*huff huff*

OH MY GOD ISHII WON THE IWGP TITLE?!?! WHEN?!?!

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

VJeff posted:

Agreed, Taichi shouldn't be in the G1.

The stupid wrestling fan opinions aren't supposed to be your own, take it back to being ignored in the New Japan thread like usual

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Chris James 2 posted:

The stupid wrestling fan opinions aren't supposed to be your own, take it back to being ignored in the New Japan thread like usual

Just so you know when it turfs out, I'll be right here with a hug and a gentle "I told you so."

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/TheKingChivas/status/1140426767351635968

Umm....watched this match and the Bucks actually had some good heel heat and the Lucha Bros got a huge pop when they won so????

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

https://twitter.com/TheKingChivas/status/1140426767351635968

Umm....watched this match and the Bucks actually had some good heel heat and the Lucha Bros got a huge pop when they won so????

There's a weird running thing of people saying the Young Bucks don't get heat from anyone. I hesitate to call it a joke because there seems to be some real venom behind it.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

"proud member of the Cult of Cornette" from that dude's profile

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Gonzo McFee posted:

There's a weird running thing of people saying the Young Bucks don't get heat from anyone. I hesitate to call it a joke because there seems to be some real venom behind it.

Their first appearance got nothing because it was legit random and came off as abrupt even for regular fans (was the Bucks' first appearance in the company), and it was just the wrong way to do them coming in and screwing over Lucha Bros for the belts. This went a lot better for them, but that first appearance was rough because nobody live knew what was going on, and at home English commentary did a poor job of explaining stuff

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Yeah of all the ways to introduce the Young Bucks to a new crowd, Wrestlemania IX probably ain't it. But I'm glad it seems to be going better now.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Even their first appearance once they started wrestling the crowd turned around and got excited for them.

I really don't like The Bucks but not to the point I'm willing to deny reality. They are a popular act with a schtick designed to do generate a big response.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
So a bit of context for this upcoming quote. There are unsubstantiated rumors going around that Asuka had signed a new deal with WWE back in 2018. Naturally this upset some people because "Asuka should be in aew or work on the indies!!!"

The rumor is that Asuka opted to stay with WWE at the time because they would provide financial stability and security for her family.

Wrestleforum posted:

Well, as fan, I cannot force her or tell her what to do nor do anything to change her mind, but I for sure can be unhappy about it and voice my dissatisfaction.

On an unrelated note, I hope that kid never decides to follow in their mom's footsteps once they grow up, cause I'm always going to resent them.

:stare:

Imagine hating a wrestler's kid because the kid's mother is choosing financial stability and security for her family over taking a risk on the indies at the time. Jesus christ.

DarkstarIV fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jun 20, 2019

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
I didn’t know asuka had a kid

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

seems like japanese women wrestlers try to keep their personal lives as private as possible which im sure is for normal and not creepy fan-related reasons

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

jesus WEP posted:

seems like japanese women wrestlers try to keep their personal lives as private as possible which im sure is for normal and not creepy fan-related reasons

japan, in general, tends to keep family life on the DL. They are obsessed, as a culture, with the white picket fence everything is fine mentality.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

WatermelonGun posted:

I didn’t know asuka had a kid

jesus WEP posted:

Charlotte and Naomi had let the cat out of the bag awhile back. Charlotte right after Wrestlemania 34 in a WWE.com interview, and Naomi shortly before Survivor Series last year (in an interview with Newsweek about the women's tag team division).

Still though: If a wrestler decides that they want financial stability over working the indies (which is a bit more volatile, financially), I'm not gonna fault them.

DarkstarIV fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jun 20, 2019

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/1141779546200428544

"Why don't they hold an event drawing a worldwide audience in a small town two hours from the nearest major airport?"

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Endless Mike posted:

"Why don't they hold an event drawing a worldwide audience in a small town two hours from the nearest major airport?"

Hey! Columbus has an international airport, it is even the state capital. It's named after John Glenn and only 10 miles from the stadium. The rest is right though.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

DarkstarIV posted:

So a bit of context for this upcoming quote. There are unsubstantiated rumors going around that Asuka had signed a new deal with WWE back in 2018. Naturally this upset some people because "Asuka should be in aew or work on the indies!!!"

The rumor is that Asuka opted to stay with WWE at the time because they would provide financial stability and security for her family.

:stare:

Imagine hating a wrestler's kid because the kid's mother is choosing financial stability and security for her family over taking a risk on the indies at the time. Jesus christ.

The funny thing is, the first sentence is perfectly fine, and then POW!, Teddy Hart style hard left

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

AkumaHokoru posted:

"Why don't they hold an event drawing a worldwide audience in a small town where no one can afford to go to mania and the out of town guests would be uncomfortable in America's racist underbelly...two hours from the nearest major airport?"

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

karmicknight posted:

Hey! Columbus has an international airport, it is even the state capital. It's named after John Glenn and only 10 miles from the stadium. The rest is right though.
Yeah, I was referring to State College and College Station there, but Columbus wouldn't be awful other than having to spend time in Columbus.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The dumbest, shittiest people are so mad about New Japan making it hard for Americans to buy tickets in the presale.

https://twitter.com/ToddMartinMMA/status/1141846651725914112

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

MassRafTer posted:

The dumbest, shittiest people are so mad about New Japan making it hard for Americans to buy tickets in the presale.

someone think of the poor white people

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

Also worth mentioning for anyone not reading the NJPW thread that NJPW are in fact doing a special presale just for foreign fans with seats reserved for them.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I have nothing but respect and sympathy for the japanese wanting to keep americans the gently caress away from their cultural output

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I have nothing but respect and sympathy for the japanese wanting to keep americans the gently caress away from their cultural output

"We saw what happened with anime, not making that mistake again."

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Gaijin have their own special section, what the gently caress more do they want?

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
Is Todd the guy who was really mad at the high school wrestler for letting his opponent with cerebral palsy win the match?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

OctoberCountry posted:

Is Todd the guy who was really mad at the high school wrestler for letting his opponent with cerebral palsy win the match?

That's him!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I only caught the tail end of his time at the Wrestling Observer/F4W Online site (that was him, right?) and it seemed like all he did was read out loud old issues of the Observer verbatim to Bryan?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

I only caught the tail end of his time at the Wrestling Observer/F4W Online site (that was him, right?) and it seemed like all he did was read out loud old issues of the Observer verbatim to Bryan?

...Has anyone seen Todd Martin and Conrad in the same place?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I am Todd Martin and I love to pee on myself in the supermarket in front of people and if they look i tell them, "this is you"

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
That Twitter thread is somehow worse.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

I mean the way things have been going, give it time.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Yeah, I’d offer odds-on prices that the new WWE/BT deal ends up massively loving up their position in the UK.

It’s gonna be fun to go from “Big 4 PPV before 2025 speculation” to “nobody watches Raw in the UK any more because they don’t want to pay £33 per month just for wrestling.“

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

TinTower posted:

Yeah, I’d offer odds-on prices that the new WWE/BT deal ends up massively loving up their position in the UK.

It’s gonna be fun to go from “Big 4 PPV before 2025 speculation” to “nobody watches Raw in the UK any more because they don’t want to pay £33 per month just for wrestling.“

Not sure how true that is considering they were already paying that or more for Sky Sports.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Sky is still in more homes than BT, and both are in far far far far less homes than AEW’s new channel

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

BT Sport is a lot cheaper than Sky, the cheapest you can get a Sky package with Sky Sports is £45 a month. The problem is that BT Sport requires already having Sky or getting internet from BT so the cost works out about the same. I'd think more about the fact that Sky lately have been even more ravenous about grabbing up every sporting event they can possibly find (they have Netball now) so think about what it means that they let WWE go.

Chris James 2 posted:

Sky is still in more homes than BT, and both are in far far far far less homes than AEW’s new channel

Also this, ITV4 is in every home with a TV made in the past decade, or anyone with an internet connection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

You get BT Sport for free if you get one of the more expensive Virgin Media packages