Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Scorchy posted:

Yeah I just finished a run of all the Harmony Black and Revanche Cycle books (since I liked Ghosts of Gotham). They're available all on Kindle unlimited so it's a good deal.

Harmony Black - Starts off as uptight magic FBI cop lady, by the book 4 she's turned into freaking Rambo and it's Agents of Shield basically
Revanche Cycle - Assassin's Creed 2 and everyone's a murderous crazy person

Dang I might have to give these a shot when I want a lighter read this summer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Revanche and Wisdom's Graves are both batshit insane. I really enjoyed both for the ride.

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together

Zore posted:

I also take issue with the idea Rivers is better plotted. It has stronger prose and pretty good character work, but the mechanics of everything are a huge mess after roughly the second book.

The non-stop intro of new huge magical societies that were apparently just off screen the entire time is really offputting. Especially since Nightengale is constantly swinging between 'yes WW2 killed magic' and 'I've managed relationships with all this weird magic poo poo across the entire island by myself for 70 years'

I believe Nightingale's hypothesis that magic had been dying off was nothing more than that, the rest of the magical community has always been doing just dandy, better, probably given that the Folly had been effectively neutered. The Folly spent 300 years being supremely dismissive at best and actively murderous at worst to any non-Newtonian old white guy magics, small surprise the last remnants of them don't know poo poo about poo poo.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Yak of Wrath posted:

I believe Nightingale's hypothesis that magic had been dying off was nothing more than that, the rest of the magical community has always been doing just dandy, better, probably given that the Folly had been effectively neutered. The Folly spent 300 years being supremely dismissive at best and actively murderous at worst to any non-Newtonian old white guy magics, small surprise the last remnants of them don't know poo poo about poo poo.

And, Nightingale's embrace of Peter's attitude about fair policing is one of the optimistic views of the series, and the Folly, that make the books a cut above in tone.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Zore posted:

I also take issue with the idea Rivers is better plotted. It has stronger prose and pretty good character work, but the mechanics of everything are a huge mess after roughly the second book.

The non-stop intro of new huge magical societies that were apparently just off screen the entire time is really offputting. Especially since Nightengale is constantly swinging between 'yes WW2 killed magic' and 'I've managed relationships with all this weird magic poo poo across the entire island by myself for 70 years'

Dresden's unfortunately turned into a video game though. Every book Dresden gets a powerup and tackles a bigger Boss Baddie.

torgeaux posted:

And, Nightingale's embrace of Peter's attitude about fair policing is one of the optimistic views of the series, and the Folly, that make the books a cut above in tone.

Yak of Wrath posted:

It's pretty clear that the central dynamic of the book is Nightingale as Everything Good (Or Cool) About The British Empire, vs Peter As The Best of Modern Britain, and that's the tension that drives the series. Past that yeah Aaronovitch kinda wrote himself into a bind in the early books by making the cast too small and he's had to work his way around that ever since.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

I thought it was pretty clear that Nightingale was incredibly clueless about the modern world and that included modern magic and it's various forms. That and the series drops hints from Peters research that the Folly was pretty consistently quite ghastly to those lower on the power scale than them so people avoiding them wherever possible makes a lot of sense.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
"An errand is getting a tank of gas or picking up a carton of milk or something. It is not getting chased by flying purple pyromaniac gorillas hurling incendiary poo".

Heh, I forgot about this one, Dresden can get pretty ridiculous at times.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

StonecutterJoe posted:

Also, unrelated UF blatherings to avoid a double post:

Good Omens is infinitely better than I thought/feared it was going to be when an adaptation was announced. It's the best adaptation of Good Omens I could have thought possible. Sometimes an adaptation just feels like everyone involved really, genuinely cared about getting it right, and this is one of those times.

Stoked that Butcher is done, even though my Dresden love has faded a lot over the years. Of course I'm still going to buy it when it comes out and read it on day one. I mostly just hope this means he's gotten into a better place, life-wise, after all the poo poo he's been through that stalled his career out.

Good Omens embraced the ridiculous, offbeat, and fun source material to make a show that was full of life and true to the source material. Changes made to the story only make it that much better for a television audience and fill in gaps. If only every adaptation could be that good.

I think we're going to get to see a complete opposite type of adaptation next week with The Rook. A few early reviews that were published and later taken down did not have kind things to say. Sounds pretty heavily rewritten to be a slick and stylish action show rather than a mystery.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Dresden's unfortunately turned into a video game though. Every book Dresden gets a powerup and tackles a bigger Boss Baddie.

What’s with the unfortunately, that’s what great about it! :downs:

Seriously though, different tastes at all but I’m so confused by the “like a video game” complaint - would’t mind if someone wanted to elaborate why that’s generally brought up as a bad thing.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Avalerion posted:

Seriously though, different tastes at all but I’m so confused by the “like a video game” complaint - would’t mind if someone wanted to elaborate why that’s generally brought up as a bad thing.

It's a very simplistic narrative trope that, on its own, is predictable and boring. Most video game stories are bad because they all-too-often rely upon this (and other) predictable trope. Often exclusively.

I don't agree that Dresden has turned into a video game. Dresden is better-written than the vast majority of video games. The fact that it uses some common tropes does not mean it does not do other things.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

At least for me the “predictable and boring” applies more to something like Alex Verus with how his powers as well as his enemies are more or less still the same after however many books in we are now.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Avalerion posted:

At least for me the “predictable and boring” applies more to something like Alex Verus with how his powers as well as his enemies are more or less still the same after however many books in we are now.

Isn't Verus' power basically save-scumming anyway?

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Beachcomber posted:

Isn't Verus' power basically save-scumming anyway?

Yes, which is why I absolutely love it!

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Listening to the Revanche cycle book 1 now.

Not sure how it crosses over into Faust / Black territory at all, but I'm enjoying it

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Avalerion posted:

I like the early books more when it's more directly playing with noir tropes and Dresden is overall smaller and weaker and more consistently desperate. Too much of the later books he just solves problems by levelling up.

I mean, sometimes it's cool. But it's cool like Doom is cool, not cool like Deus Ex is cool.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I like the early books more when it's more directly playing with noir tropes and Dresden is overall smaller and weaker and more consistently desperate. Too much of the later books he just solves problems by levelling up.

I mean, sometimes it's cool. But it's cool like Doom is cool, not cool like Deus Ex is cool.

On the plus side, even in the later books there are characters that just plain out class him in terms of power and skill. He's way more dangerous than most of the Council, but the head guys are on par if not more scary than he is. That's not even getting into the various Fairy and Vampire courts.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

seaborgium posted:

On the plus side, even in the later books there are characters that just plain out class him in terms of power and skill. He's way more dangerous than most of the Council, but the head guys are on par if not more scary than he is. That's not even getting into the various Fairy and Vampire courts.

Butcher's also claimed that a significant part of Peace Talks is going to be showing the White Council cutting loose. Harry's good, but according to Butcher most people on the Council are just as powerful if not more so, and a lot more experienced.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

We've already seen McCoy cut loose, he waved a staff around and hundreds of people died on the spot and he walked away like nbd, this is just Tuesday. The Blackstaff just kept it from costing his own soul for breaking the first law. Now a whole Senior Council cutting loose like that...

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Cythereal posted:

Butcher's also claimed that a significant part of Peace Talks is going to be showing the White Council cutting loose. Harry's good, but according to Butcher most people on the Council are just as powerful if not more so, and a lot more experienced.

If they're so great, why were they losing to the Red Court? Was it just a numbers game?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Beachcomber posted:

If they're so great, why were they losing to the Red Court? Was it just a numbers game?

Partially. Remember the Red Court made the first strike and managed to take out a lot of Wizards or turn them. They also had massive resources in the mortal world and access to modern technology which Wizards largely don't. Also you can churn out new vampires pretty quickly, even making them from your enemies, but Wizards take at a minimum years to get to 'basic competence'.

And even with all those advantages the White Council was holding its own for years and eventually killed every Red Court vampire in existence.

Like the poo poo Harry saw Ebenezer or the Merlin pull off in passing was insane. It just doesn't matter when you have like a dozen people covering the entire world. Remember so many Wardens died North America was being covered by 3 people

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Beachcomber posted:

The Red Court launched an absolutely devastating first strike. Like remember that the White Council we see in the series is one which lost 99% of its best fighters and was forced to throw literal newbies into the meat grinder because they had no other choice. They were so desperate that they recruited Dresden after all.

Even then we hear about how they did genuinely impressive things during the war. Morgan, singlehandedly, apparently came close enough to killing the Red King that he forced a retreat. The same Red King who was the next best thing to a god. (If an addicted dying one.)

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Zore posted:

Like the poo poo Harry saw Ebenezer or the Merlin pull off in passing was insane.

Hey, you don't get to be the Merlin by collecting bottle-caps.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Hey, how is the Alex Verus series holding up ten books in, and how are the audiobooks? I'm going to have a bunch of time in the near future where my body is busy and I need stuff to fill my head with.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Skippy McPants posted:

Hey, how is the Alex Verus series holding up ten books in, and how are the audiobooks? I'm going to have a bunch of time in the near future where my body is busy and I need stuff to fill my head with.

Can't speak to the audiobooks but overall the series is consistent. It's about as good at book 10 as it was at book 1. IMHO book 4 is the best overall.

It has the same popcorn page turner quality that the early Dresden books had. Most people I know who've read the series binged the whole thing in a few days.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Skippy McPants posted:

The audiobooks are solid. The series is still okay but it peaked early. It's run into the somewhat common problem of having an author's pet character who they like more than pretty much every person I know who reads it and that character keeps getting more and greater emphasis. It's still a fun enough read but don't get to attached to any side characters because they get increasingly sidelined.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

The audiobooks are solid. The series is still okay but it peaked early. It's run into the somewhat common problem of having an author's pet character who they like more than pretty much every person I know who reads it and that character keeps getting more and greater emphasis. It's still a fun enough read but don't get to attached to any side characters because they get increasingly sidelined.

Yeah, this is all true.

Seriously, that series needs so much less Anne and much more Caldera.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib

Slanderer posted:

Yeah, this is all true.

Seriously, that series needs so much less Anne and much more Caldera.

I like Anne to a point, she's very similar to Alex in that she has gamebreaker powers, but trying very hard not to break anything.
I do love Caldera though and more her equals better. She's so atpyical (blunt sturdy, Friar-ess Tuck) in a genre full of gorgeous nymphy witches (Luna, you included).

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Skippy McPants posted:

Alex Verus is very consistent. I didn't like them, but if you like the first book you'll probably like the rest of the series. For me, book 4 was on almost the exact same level as the first book and that's where I stopped.

Zore posted:

And even with all those advantages the White Council was holding its own for years and eventually killed every Red Court vampire in existence.
It wasn't the White Council that put down the Red Court. Also, spoilers? I know its been years, but it was a pretty major twist.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Jun 28, 2019

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

It's been eight years and several books, the statute of limitation on Changes spoilers has long passed.

No one was at Chichen Itza specifically representing the Council, but a Warden regional commander and a Senior Council member (at least, there may have been more) were there and you're drat right the Council is claiming the kill, can't let a status boost like that slip through your fingers on a technicality.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Harry does talk about how being good at magic and combat are two different things, and he’s lucky in the sense that his magical talents really help him in combat. His main downside against other wardens was the lack of a sword or the skills to use one.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

LLSix posted:

It wasn't the White Council that put down the Red Court. Also, spoilers? I know its been years, but it was a pretty major twist.

Harry and Ebenezer were both integral and they're two of the top people in the Council.

Harry likes to downplay it because he started off on the wrong foot with the Council, but by Changes he's a really important and high up member of their exclusive military arm.

Also if Harry's actions counted as White Council to start the war it seems fitting they should also count as White Council when he ended it.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Zore posted:

Harry and Ebenezer were both integral and they're two of the top people in the Council.

Harry likes to downplay it because he started off on the wrong foot with the Council, but by Changes he's a really important and high up member of their exclusive military arm.

Also if Harry's actions counted as White Council to start the war it seems fitting they should also count as White Council when he ended it.

Also, the Merlin (a) explicitly ordered Harry not to go to Chichen Itza to rescue his daughter, (b) has known Harry for longer than 30 seconds, and (c) is not actually an idiot.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

bobjr posted:

Harry does talk about how being good at magic and combat are two different things, and he’s lucky in the sense that his magical talents really help him in combat. His main downside against other wardens was the lack of a sword or the skills to use one.

Harry also is pretty blunt about the fact that he's effectively a bomb. He does a lot of damage but has almost no control or sustainability. In comparison we see other wizards are capable of less explosive but more effective methods of damage.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Harry also is pretty blunt about the fact that he's effectively a bomb. He does a lot of damage but has almost no control or sustainability. In comparison we see other wizards are capable of less explosive but more effective methods of damage.

Yeah, seeing Ramirez in action during the raid on the White Court was really cool because he was loving with entropy and being really tricky with water in a way we never see Harry act.

Or the difference between Dresden and Ivy during that book where they're locked in the theater and cut off from the outside with limited magic. Dresden runs out of juice almost immediately while Ivy's casting incredibly complicated and powerful spells for much longer by just being much more efficient.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

ImpAtom posted:

The Red Court launched an absolutely devastating first strike. Like remember that the White Council we see in the series is one which lost 99% of its best fighters and was forced to throw literal newbies into the meat grinder because they had no other choice. They were so desperate that they recruited Dresden after all.

Even then we hear about how they did genuinely impressive things during the war. Morgan, singlehandedly, apparently came close enough to killing the Red King that he forced a retreat. The same Red King who was the next best thing to a god. (If an addicted dying one.)

And the Merlin (I think the Gatekeeper helped, but it's been a while) managed to use one ward to hold off a Red Court army chasing them so they could portal out and save their wounded. Seeing them all cut loose should be interesting.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

docbeard posted:

Also, the Merlin (a) explicitly ordered Harry not to go to Chichen Itza to rescue his daughter, (b) has known Harry for longer than 30 seconds, and (c) is not actually an idiot.

A is why I said it wasn't the White Council, but B and C make good counterarguments.

In any case, Odin deserves at least some of the credit.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Don't forget that the Merlin explicitly put "genocide Red Court" on his to-do list, and was just waiting for the right time to strike.

Retroactively, the Council probably framed it as a sanctioned strike by a special assault team that ended the war in a single stroke.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Cross-posting from the general Scifi & Fantasy thread:

Ben Nevis posted:

Apropos of nothing, the urban fantasy-ists might well enjoy Bryan Camp's Crescent City series. It deals with the deities of New Orleans. The first has a down and out magician trying to find out who killed the city's Fortune. The second, a psychopomp trying to find a missing soul. Naturally, things escalate. They're entertaining and New Orleans makes a great magical city.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Gnoman posted:

Don't forget that the Merlin explicitly put "genocide Red Court" on his to-do list, and was just waiting for the right time to strike.

Retroactively, the Council probably framed it as a sanctioned strike by a special assault team that ended the war in a single stroke.

Plus I mean they were interrupting a ritual that was aiming to kill a senior council member. Killing Harry was a completely incidental side effect and the whole thing would have come to a head without him.

It is incredibly telling that the Red Court set up a ritual powerful enough to kill every Red Court vampire in existence solely to kill a senior council member.

Zore fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jun 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Gnoman posted:

If I remember correctly, the Merlin said "we're going to murder every last Red Court Vampire" almost seconds before he said "Under no circumstances, Harry Dresden, who I know both respects my wishes and would never fly off the handle where loyalty to family and friends are concerned, are you to go and murder every last Red Court Vampire"

Earlier on, someone (I think Ebenezar) says that the Merlin always has three plans; a plan, a backup, and an ace in the hole. Not sure what the first two plans were but we can probably start calling Harry "Ace" as of Changes.