Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

Gaz-L posted:

Edit: The food thing is why I'm always baffled that they treat 'food heals 20% MORE' as an upgrade while gating sidequests and XP behind the food. Surely it healing LESS would be better so you can eat more. And it's not like money is ever really an issue in these games.

To unlock the ability to eat all you want Do the friend mission with the guy at Akaushimaru on Tenkaichi St. he gives you the skill book for Bottomless Stomach. Cost 5000 fuckin SP though lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Yagami's Co-Worker, in first 30 seconds of intro: 'Guess you're a hot-shot lawyer now, huh? Even though you used to be a thug.'

Yakuza captain, in first cut-scene past the introduction: 'Don't you know who this is? Yagami is like a surrogate son to my family patriarch.'

Every review of the game I've read: :confused: Although Yagami is a soft, suit-wearing lawyer in the intro, he somehow has acquired leet fighting skills? Weird! :confused:

For gently caress's sake.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Apraxin posted:

Yagami's Co-Worker, in first 30 seconds of intro: 'Guess you're a hot-shot lawyer now, huh? Even though you used to be a thug.'

Yakuza captain, in first cut-scene past the introduction: 'Don't you know who this is? Yagami is like a surrogate son to my family patriarch.'

Every review of the game I've read: :confused: Although Yagami is a soft, suit-wearing lawyer in the intro, he somehow has acquired leet fighting skills? Weird! :confused:

For gently caress's sake.

please don't literacy shame reviewers

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

I should get this, shouldn't I.

GUESS WHO'S GOING TO BEST BUY TUESDAY

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
Is there any point in this game where a dude pulls off his shirt and jacket in one fluid motion, revealing his sick tatts and abs you can grate cheese on?

This is important to my buying decision.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
There is a shirt-tearing-off moment and some buff muscles, yes

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Just got my copy, and then got into a fight over some dorayaki

Some things never change

:allears:

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
postman just dropped my copy off and im installin' and i just saw the f5 refresh screenshot on twitter and holy hell am i hyped.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
lmao the sticker you get with the game is just a ryu ga gotoku stuido sticker and i need to get this on a jacket or my car or something.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

What the hell is with the skip button blinking between every line of dialogue? I haven't played a Yakuza game in a while but I don't remember it being so incredibly distracting in those games.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm not sure how I feel about trailing sequences but I saw cans of cat food for sale and I am *extremely* ready

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

judgement looks really cool but i cant get over how recently divorced the protagonist looks

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Farm Frenzy posted:

judgement looks really cool but i cant get over how recently divorced the protagonist looks

he's been in a boy band since 1988, it's more that I think.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Farm Frenzy posted:

This is a bit of a cultural thing, as while it may look weird for a 30 or 40 year old (KimuTaku is 46 but I don't think Yagami is) to dress like that, that's not really the case if someone is into Japanese street fashion. It isnt common by any means but definitely not as Midlife Crisis as it might look.

I love the ankle socks!

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

i think he looks cool. (oh god am i midlifing at 36, i am arent i - then again i get told i look 23-25 so who cares.)

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jun 22, 2019

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

What the hell is with the skip button blinking between every line of dialogue? I haven't played a Yakuza game in a while but I don't remember it being so incredibly distracting in those games.

I think this is new for this game. I don’t mind it since I read the subs faster than they say them.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Remember to get your 50k from the mailbox outside the office. Only shows up if you have a RGG Studios save.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

yakuza 6 "sorry sir, no one is allowed in the champions district while we are renovating the crumbling buildings that havent been touched since 88"

judgment, 2 years later, champions district is exactly the same crumbling state. :allears:

also not sure if people we're just lying about characters from past yakuza games showing up or just plain up forgot but earth angel and the same mama since 88' is still here and i got a smile. if you think that doesn't count then you didn't do all the substories in all the games did you

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
"Wow, at first I was worried I was being followed but seeing a guy suddenly run across the street and hide behind a store sign for the third time has really allayed my suspicions welp back to committing crimes!"

I love how dumb these tailing missions are.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Just spent 10,000 yen at Poppo making friends with the clerk, and got a promotional LP into the deal. Went back to the office and put it on the turntable, and it's a soft jazz cover of Danny Boy that heals Yagami as he listens to it.

A+++, GOTY, etc.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

The pacing of main story and sub stories feels way different to mainline yakuza titles, I like it though.

Kinda bummed that there's side content gated behind friends you can only finish by completing everything at the batting cage and doing a bunch of gambling games because lol at the thought of doing either of those.

I'm 16 hours in and only in chapter 3, just unlocked the VR arcade.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Do all substories require making friends first? I'm still only like three hours in, still in chapter one, but I'm weirded out by how little there seems to do so far in terms of side stuff. Got some UFO catcher and darts in, so it's not nothing I guess. Seems unlikely there'll be a nightclub manager, which is a drat shame, I'd pay full price for a more fleshed out version of that minigame.

Also this informant / hacker type referred to the protagonist using the -shi suffix. Wikipedia says that's for people you know of but have never met, like how you might quote someone's speech in a newspaper. Is there some other use of it? Is this hacker guy just weird or stupid? Because he uses it when you're talking to him face-to-face which does not seem to be in line with what wikipedia says.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

Digital Osmosis posted:

Do all substories require making friends first? I'm still only like three hours in, still in chapter one, but I'm weirded out by how little there seems to do so far in terms of side stuff. Got some UFO catcher and darts in, so it's not nothing I guess. Seems unlikely there'll be a nightclub manager, which is a drat shame, I'd pay full price for a more fleshed out version of that minigame.

Also this informant / hacker type referred to the protagonist using the -shi suffix. Wikipedia says that's for people you know of but have never met, like how you might quote someone's speech in a newspaper. Is there some other use of it? Is this hacker guy just weird or stupid? Because he uses it when you're talking to him face-to-face which does not seem to be in line with what wikipedia says.

It's stereotypical otakuspeak. Nerdy types go with excessively polite honorifics to fool around.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Adaptabullshit posted:

It's stereotypical otakuspeak. Nerdy types go with excessively polite honorifics to fool around.

Thanks for the info! Is the otaku use of it sarcastic, or they're just weird and maladjusted and so are overly polite? And -shi could be used by a non-otaku in a face-to-face conversation if they felt the need to be extraordinarily polite, yeah? Presumably it'd be someone they didn't know well who wasn't a direct supervisor but still someone they felt the need to show deference too, that about right?

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Digital Osmosis posted:

Thanks for the info! Is the otaku use of it sarcastic, or they're just weird and maladjusted and so are overly polite? And -shi could be used by a non-otaku in a face-to-face conversation if they felt the need to be extraordinarily polite, yeah? Presumably it'd be someone they didn't know well who wasn't a direct supervisor but still someone they felt the need to show deference too, that about right?
I think it’s a quirky term of respect - he’s grateful to Yagami for helping him in the past and reflects that in how he talks to him, but Yagami doesn’t have a position you could apply a formal title to add (sensei, shacho etc), so he’s using shi instead of san to be both formal and irreverent at the same time.

It’s not something generally used, it’s more an inside joke like high school kids using suffixes like pyon and ri instead of chan (again, I think, based on context).

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Digital Osmosis posted:

The chapters so far seem to be way longer than traditional Yakuza games, and sub stories don't open up until 2-3 onwards. Side content seems to open up the same way, I couldn't seem to play anything until I got into chapter 2.

A lot of the "side cases" require certain numbers of friends but most of the friendships themselves are substory-esque.

It's substories all the way down.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Downloading Judgment rn but I know nothing about the game or any Yakuza games released previously. Taking any and all advice on how to enjoy this game to its fullest potential!

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Was there a pre-order early access bonus? how are you downloading it.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Also I lol'd real hard at Yagami's local bar, Bar Tender, and the way the subs insist that the Master there is actually just a guy called Masuda.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Was there a pre-order early access bonus? how are you downloading it.

From the Playstation Store? I don't really know I'm just sick and need something to play from the couch bc sitting at my comp is too difficult

This isn't a preorder is it? I'm gonna be real sad if I bought a sick-time-game I can't even play :saddowns:

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I guess the release date changed or something, and it was showing up in search on the website version of the store. (it appeared on the PS4 store though.)

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Digital versions of Judgment came out on Friday for an early access perk, the game's retail release is Tuesday.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I hope more games do this because I'm one of those people that never trades in their games and I'm fully on board for an all-digital future (not game streaming though because that poo poo sucks).

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
End of chapter 2 and LOL Yagami avoiding gun-wielding Tojo goons via sick skateboard tricks

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Gaz-L posted:

End of chapter 2 and LOL Yagami avoiding gun-wielding Tojo goons via sick skateboard tricks

This was so loving dumb and allayed any fears at all that I had about the game not being Yakuza enough.

Serge Painsbourg
Jul 26, 2016

I keep trying to play Fantasy Zone and it exits me out of the game. Is anyone else having this problem?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I've seen that bug reported online for a couple of mini games (space harrier iirc) but I haven't had it myself, wonder if there's a day one patch that's not going to go live until the physical release for some reason.

Kind of an oversight.

Edit:

quote:

Hi all,

We've identified a bug where if you begin playing the game prior to full installation, Fantasy Zone and Space Harrier will crash if you use them. Please wait for the full game to install to avoid this issue. A fix is being worked on. Thank you for your patience .

Sarahx

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Just finished Chapter 1 and yeah Judgement is much more of a slow, focused burn that I'm enjoying. You can't really do much when you start out as they really want you to stay focused on the new characters and set up the what I assume will be the overarching mystery. It's still Yakuza, don't worry, it's just really taking it's time.

And having fun doing it! Kaito running to save you with a sick drop kick and then later Yagami tripping into a hapless goon who drops his big bucket of weapons and then just making this "oh goddamn it" look are all great. Coming back to Kamurocho with a new cast of friends is basically perfect imo

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

is cafe alps still there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

is cafe alps still there

Nearly all the restaurants/bars from Y6 are there