Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

hadji murad posted:

Do you think they’ll offload Higuain now that Sarri is the coach?

The front office wants to get rid of him, but I think he wants to stay, and it'll be difficult to find a club that will take on his salary and pay any sort of meaningful transfer fee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Realistically for Wanda how many premier league teams are gonna put up with her if Icardi wants an English pay day?

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Realistically for Wanda how many premier league teams are gonna put up with her if Icardi wants an English pay day?

I'm sure the Dildo Brothers would enjoy her presence.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

trem_two posted:

The front office wants to get rid of him, but I think he wants to stay, and it'll be difficult to find a club that will take on his salary and pay any sort of meaningful transfer fee.

Sarri will be hell bent on playing him as much as possible.

Are there any concerns about Sarri coming in and changing everything around?

psyer
Mar 26, 2013
Footballers are not the only one having transfer rumors this summer. Football journalist are having their own this offseason.

James Pearce is leaving the Liverpool Echo and is rumored to join The Athletic.

https://twitter.com/JamesPearceEcho/status/1141826936752222208

The below Twitter thread has the rumored hires from The Athletic.

https://twitter.com/footymediapod/status/1140211719878389760?s=21

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

psyer posted:

Footballers are not the only one having transfer rumors this summer. Football journalist are having their own this offseason.

James Pearce is leaving the Liverpool Echo and is rumored to join The Athletic.

https://twitter.com/JamesPearceEcho/status/1141826936752222208

The below Twitter thread has the rumored hires from The Athletic.

https://twitter.com/footymediapod/status/1140211719878389760?s=21

I really just can’t believe that there’s enough interest in long form sports journalism to warrant the investment they seem to be making.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

blue footed boobie posted:

I really just can’t believe that there’s enough interest in long form sports journalism to warrant the investment they seem to be making.

Are they supported by a sovereign wealth fund?

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Brony Car posted:

Looks to be all VC money.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Brony Car posted:

They're basically a tech startup. And they do more than longform, one of their big efforts has been to get beat reporters for all teams so they can do daily coverage, game recaps, trade/transfer rumors, etc.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

hadji murad posted:

Are there any concerns about Sarri coming in and changing everything around?

No, I think that's exactly what the directors (and a lot of supporters) want.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

blue footed boobie posted:

The only way I can see this working is that The Athletic is poaching from historically print journalism entities and moving them into a fully web based unit.

In a way it makes sense because as physical print entities have been dying a slow death, their media based mirrors that charge a subscription fee, like say The New York Times, have been flourishing.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I don’t see how they can distinguish themselves enough from traditional sports news to capture the market. They’re literally just pinching the same few journalists from UK newspapers. There’s no reason to think the end product will be much different from what we’ve seen.

Also sports journalism is garbage

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

The Athletic is garbage sports journalism for “woke” Americans so them going all in on soccer seems to make sense.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

United very interested in pushing Alexis Sanchez out the door, but they've only received a couple of offers from China and South Africa, even with Woodward offering to pay a part of his salary.

Right now the thinking is apparently that he'll be a part of United's squad when the new season kicks off. Hooray.

Also he's done his ankle at the Copa America, apparently.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Der Shovel posted:

United very interested in pushing Alexis Sanchez out the door, but they've only received a couple of offers from China and South Africa, even with Woodward offering to pay a part of his salary.

Right now the thinking is apparently that he'll be a part of United's squad when the new season kicks off. Hooray.

Keep at it, Ed :unsmith: Ga.....ganbarre

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Number of journos in the UK reporting (almost like they've been briefed by someone) that United have been fully aware of Wan-Bissaka's price tag "for months" but Woodward kept trying to haggle them down repeatedly and wasted weeks of time on that.

Great work, Ed.

Honestly, and I am not making excuses for Mourinho, Van Gaal or -- god forbid -- Moyes, but it's becoming ever more obvious that it does not matter who manages United while Woodward is handling the football side of the club. There is no manager they could appoint who would succeed under Woodward's incompetent handling of affairs.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Der Shovel posted:

Number of journos in the UK reporting (almost like they've been briefed by someone) that United have been fully aware of Wan-Bissaka's price tag "for months" but Woodward kept trying to haggle them down repeatedly and wasted weeks of time on that.

Great work, Ed.

Honestly, and I am not making excuses for Mourinho, Van Gaal or -- god forbid -- Moyes, but it's becoming ever more obvious that it does not matter who manages United while Woodward is handling the football side of the club. There is no manager they could appoint who would succeed under Woodward's incompetent handling of affairs.

How is the time wasted? He's away with the u21s (lol) and preseason hasn't started. Pay £50m now or 6 weeks ago it's all the same. And of course you try to haggle, you never know what's going on behind the scenes at another club you don't just pay sticker price right away.

A lot "released" players contracts haven't even expired yet. The football new year doesn't fully start until July. There's no mad panic for bringing in players.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Der Shovel posted:

South Africa?

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

sassassin posted:

How is the time wasted? He's away with the u21s (lol) and preseason hasn't started. Pay £50m now or 6 weeks ago it's all the same. And of course you try to haggle, you never know what's going on behind the scenes at another club you don't just pay sticker price right away.

A lot "released" players contracts haven't even expired yet. The football new year doesn't fully start until July. There's no mad panic for bringing in players.

This is the man who sent people to meet with Herrera's 'agents'. If you know the price and you know you will pay it just get it done and dusted so you can focus on other stuff imo.

Adebayor could be back in the Prem joining West Ham on a free.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Whoops South America of course.

Bacon Terrorist posted:

This is the man who sent people to meet with Herrera's 'agents'. If you know the price and you know you will pay it just get it done and dusted so you can focus on other stuff imo.

Precisely. It's time wasted because it's time away from other players United should crucially be signing. Like yeah sure, try to bargain them down but if they're adamant about their price tag why the gently caress are you spending a month haggling?

Solskjaer has said he wants his squad ready to go at the start of preseason in early July, which just makes all this faffing about even worse.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Der Shovel posted:

Precisely. It's time wasted because it's time away from other players United should crucially be signing. Like yeah sure, try to bargain them down but if they're adamant about their price tag why the gently caress are you spending a month haggling?

If he's spent an entire month sending a few faxes to Palace then that's another issue entirely.

He signed DJ during that period, though. So it can't be demanding his exclusive focus.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Adebayor could be back in the Prem joining West Ham on a free.

this had better fuckin not happen

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Bogan Krkic posted:

it does sound like something west ham would do

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Bogan Krkic posted:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

sassassin posted:

He signed DJ during that period, though.

Which also, apparently, took weeks, even though there was no competition for his signature, and Woodward started the bidding at literally half of the asking price.

According to these same sources United were also in for Maguire this summer. His valuation? £80m. United's offer? £40m.

There's haggling and then there's shooting yourself in the foot with a shotgun repeatedly.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
It's not like Palace are sitting there terrified that AWB will throw his toys out the pram or fun down a short contract. There's no pressure on them to reduce their price, and every incentive to keep gradually upping it as united get more desperate and it becomes harder to replace him

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
I hope Man U get hosed in the transfer window for as long as I enjoy this dumbass game

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Der Shovel posted:

Which also, apparently, took weeks, even though there was no competition for his signature, and Woodward started the bidding at literally half of the asking price.

DJ's dad died right when he was due to sign. Pushed the whole thing back two weeks, when it was already having to be fit around international duty/training camps. A lot of stuff had to be cancelled last minute.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

sassassin posted:

DJ's dad died right when he was due to sign. Pushed the whole thing back two weeks, when it was already having to be fit around international duty/training camps. A lot of stuff had to be cancelled last minute.

Insensitive of DJ not to think about Woodward's optics WRT the fans, everyone's dad dies at some point but not everyone gets to run transfers at Manchester United Football Club

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

Arsenal are apparently signing scottish left-back Kieran Tierney? Why do they need 3 left backs

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

UnderFreddy posted:

Arsenal are apparently signing scottish left-back Kieran Tierney? Why do they need 3 left backs

Their current left backs are a 900 year old Spaniard who can’t actually defend and a Bosnian with no real footballing ability but he’s big and strong.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

UnderFreddy posted:

I think the plan would be to ship Kola out.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

UnderFreddy posted:

Kolasinac is bad and makes a ton of money so we’ll give him to whoever wants him.

E: “is bad and makes a ton of money” applies to a lot of arsenal players

blue footed boobie fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jun 22, 2019

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Yeah basically Monreal is an old man and Kolasinac doesn't really fit in a back 4/doesn't actually offer that much.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Guarantee if Utd sign Bissaka before the end of the U21 Euros he will break his leg or something.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

CyberPingu posted:

Guarantee if Utd sign Bissaka before the end of the U21 Euros he will break his leg or something.

England are out so if this happens it’ll have to happen in a meaningless match, which of course, is what would happen.

Myssu
Sep 19, 2012

UnderFreddy posted:

Scottish left backs are all the rage these days

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/Unitedology/status/1142197209271848960
:hmmyes:

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Cristian Zapata to Genoa is likely to happen, Milan didn’t renew his contract. He was a good lad who didn’t complain when he got made second choice and he scored an injury time derby goal to draw Inter so I’ll miss him. Hope the does well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brasstassels
Oct 26, 2007
https://twitter.com/HotspurRelated/status/1142837225379549184?s=19

Not quite done yet but soon. Supposedly bonuses potentially bring it up to £13m

Worth a punt for sure. Even if he turns out to be not good enough that's almost nothing in today's market