Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Still a thing!

https://twitter.com/ChikaraAAW/status/1142462026649919488

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

If you're interested I'm running WWF No Mercy tonight over on Twitch for the Saturday Night's Main Event stream. Come join the fun

https://m.twitch.tv/daviddellamorte/profile

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Worth a get if you haven't yet

https://twitter.com/FireProWorld/status/1143602277296398336

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Oh good, I've been meaning to get those.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
reinstalled TEW and got the Effganic universe running again

god drat I forgot how long it takes to advance large chunks of time as you get deeper into a save

i'm at 1940 and things are finally starting to get interesting (match of the year has been in the 80s-ish for a few years now) but i'm thinking i should give it another decade, decade and a half or so before i jump in and start actually playing

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Is there a TEW 16 real world mod that doesn't automatically book like geniuses? It's hard for me to explain exactly what my issue is, but the game doesn't account for "booker is a 70+ year old lunatic with brain worms" or "booker is idiot video store owner who overbooks everything all the time" so stuff like modern-day WWE and 2000 WCW are always booked great because the rosters are stacked. Is there a way to set it up so that that doesn't happen?

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

CVagts posted:

Is there a TEW 16 real world mod that doesn't automatically book like geniuses? It's hard for me to explain exactly what my issue is, but the game doesn't account for "booker is a 70+ year old lunatic with brain worms" or "booker is idiot video store owner who overbooks everything all the time" so stuff like modern-day WWE and 2000 WCW are always booked great because the rosters are stacked. Is there a way to set it up so that that doesn't happen?

You could tank the ai booking skill stats in the editor otherwise I don't think there is another way.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

CVagts posted:

Not really. There’s very little mechanically to replicate things like viewer antipathy and fatigue, it goes off of worker stats, mostly. A fed with good workers and a lot of money is just going to do well, it will not book itself into oblivion. It’s especially hard to compete if you’re in a booker role and a miserly owner prevents you from offering competitive contracts.

Also keep in mind that most real world TCs aren’t really built around the game’s “natural” balance. Stat averages tended to be dramatically inflated - it was extremely rare for a generated rookie to ever get any single skill stat above 80.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
alright jesus christ on a bike this is taking 30 minutes for every year I advance

i'm gonna see how this looks at 1950 and if it's a fun enough pro wrestling landscape i might make a thread over in LP

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
They released a small DLC for FPW with Jay White, Takagi Shingo, Toa Henare, and Yujiro Takahashi. Some additional moves. If you already have all the other DLC on Steam, it's free if you go to the page for the DLC Bundle. Apparently it's free on PS4 if you've got the Season Pass.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Thanks for the heads up! I got very confused after installing the bundle because I picked the Switchblade edit I downloaded ages ago and was like 'huh, how come they didn't get Jay's music' and then afterwards realized I picked the wrong one. The new Blade Runner animation is sweet and so are the Pumping Bomber and Noshigami.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
This DLC got me to bite the bullet on getting Fire Promoter too, since getting both of them was only a couple dollars more than getting the small DLC pack alone. Now, I just have to figure out a whole new game mode.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

For those who want to play a good game, SLAMMED! is on sale

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Basic Chunnel posted:

For those who want to play a good game, SLAMMED! is on sale

SLAMMED! rules and is the truest representation of the wrestling business.

I wish I could reread the SLAMMED LP thread from here but I can't seem to find it in the archive.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Justice for Sagramore

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

SLAMMED! is so fuckin good. Also can serve as a decent primer for someone who doesn't know wrestling at all.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

Is it a Steam sale thing?

Takuan
May 6, 2007

Basic Chunnel posted:

Not really. There’s very little mechanically to replicate things like viewer antipathy and fatigue, it goes off of worker stats, mostly. A fed with good workers and a lot of money is just going to do well, it will not book itself into oblivion. It’s especially hard to compete if you’re in a booker role and a miserly owner prevents you from offering competitive contracts.

To me this is one of the biggest flaws of TEW. It's unable to simulate the nepotism and incompetence of actual wrestling promoters.

quote:

Also keep in mind that most real world TCs aren’t really built around the game’s “natural” balance. Stat averages tended to be dramatically inflated - it was extremely rare for a generated rookie to ever get any single skill stat above 80.

That, or they go the opposite, "Kids these days don't know how to work" route and give everyone outside of WWE and New Japan basics, psychology, and safety skills in the D-or-lower range.

Also:
Yeah, so last week was fukkin' wild huh? This week has a bigass 6-man main event with Koji Kojinaka, Broman Gains & Ayako Asami facing Miles & Keiko, Sherman Cooper, and Dracula. There's also gonna be an elimination match between Clay Henry IX, Reighleigh Wilson, Johnny OMA, & Tamika Johnson for a shot at Maybelle Starr and the W.A.V.E. Trans-AM Championship. And maybe Bubb & Dubb will actually show up this week? If they do, they'll be up against The Smoothe Bois.
The show starts at 8:00 PM EST but in the meantime come hang out and listen to some Mint Jams!
https://www.twitch.tv/gameprowrestling

Takuan fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jun 28, 2019

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Fumaofthelake posted:

Is it a Steam sale thing?

not sure about PC, but it's a standalone mobile app on iOS and Android iirc

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

Looked like it was full price in the App Store, or did you mean "on sale" just in the sense of "it's available to buy?"

Anyway it seemed cool so I got it anyway, thanks for posting.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

so surprise to absolutely nobody but big rumor isthe WWE 2K20 campaign mode is centered around the career of Hulk Hogan starting in AWA all the way up to Rock/Hogan at Mania X8. one silver lining i guess is this means we probably get a decent number of WCW arenas. Kofi better be the cover athlete if they're going this hard with it.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

STONE COLD 64 posted:

so surprise to absolutely nobody but big rumor isthe WWE 2K20 campaign mode is centered around the career of Hulk Hogan starting in AWA all the way up to Rock/Hogan at Mania X8. one silver lining i guess is this means we probably get a decent number of WCW arenas. Kofi better be the cover athlete if they're going this hard with it.

While the AWA stuff might be cool for the legends we might get, fuuuuuuuuuuuck off with the Hogan poo poo. God drat it Vince.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

boycott that poo poo

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

joylessdivision posted:

While the AWA stuff might be cool for the legends we might get, fuuuuuuuuuuuck off with the Hogan poo poo. God drat it Vince.

the AWA stuff will probably just be like one match, but it will probably mean we get Bockwinkel as a wrestler with Heenan as a manager, so that could be cool. and maybe, just maybe, it'll give us Wrestlemania III with ring carts.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Look unless they're giving us the Team Challenge Series chroma-key crowd arena it's not worth supporting the continued adulation of racist shitgibbon Hulk Hogan

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
will bubba the love sponge be rendered in game

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Does the game fail you if you do more than back rakes, bodyslams and the leg drop? I want it true to life. I want to fail the match if I successfully launch the fireball against Warrior in WCW.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

heard another rumor that the game will be bad just like it has been for more than a decade

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Fumaofthelake posted:

Looked like it was full price in the App Store, or did you mean "on sale" just in the sense of "it's available to buy?"

Anyway it seemed cool so I got it anyway, thanks for posting.

I got an email stating all Choice of Games… games were on sale. I wonder if it’s only through their omnibus app or what.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

WatermelonGun posted:

will bubba the love sponge be rendered in game

No, neither will Terry Bollea's cock, but Hulk Hogan's will be.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

coconono posted:

boycott that poo poo
Does it count as boycotting if I wasn't going to buy it anyway

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Super No Vacancy posted:

heard another rumor that the game will be bad just like it has been for more than a decade

Spoiler warning that poo poo

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Doc M posted:

Does it count as boycotting if I wasn't going to buy it anyway

that's what I was gonna do

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Super No Vacancy posted:

I appreciate when I go to make a CAW, I can't find the Piledriver I want, because instead of being "Piledriver 1, Piledriver 2, etc." they put a modifier in front of it so they're all over the place.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

If they go Path of the Hogan for story mode then how will i find out what happens to my friends Buzz, Barron Blade, and the other nerd

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With how terrible the games have been for years now, it's kinda hard to believe that the PS2 Smackdown games actually used to be some of the most anticipated releases of the year for me and my friends (also kinda hard to believe I used to have friends who liked wrestling). That lasted until the series became Smackdown vs. RAW and absorbed the suckiness of the RAW games.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jun 28, 2019

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

projecthalaxy posted:

If they go Path of the Hogan for story mode then how will i find out what happens to my friends Buzz, Barron Blade, and the other nerd

It's going to be there as well, I bet. They did the campaign CAW mode and still had the Bryan scenario mode as well.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

The Hulkster will squash those jabronis, brother

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I have no idea who still buys the 2k games, they are loving dogshit and have become overcomplicated to the detriment of the game. But more shocking is how no indie game dev has just flat out remade the No Mercy engine of gameplay thus far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

DLC Inc posted:

I have no idea who still buys the 2k games, they are loving dogshit and have become overcomplicated to the detriment of the game. But more shocking is how no indie game dev has just flat out remade the No Mercy engine of gameplay thus far.

Because making a whole engine from scratch is a lot harder than it sounds, especially if you're specifically trying to nail another engine's specific feel.

Also why remake the engine when you can just mod the poo poo out of it (VPW Freem Edition, WCW Feel the BANG!, etc.). Granted some of these romhack/total conversion projects are overly ambitious and overly buggy but it's still pretty amazing what they're doing nowadays. I remember 10+ years ago the most people would do is mod in wrestlers and maybe belts. Now they're doing whole roster replacements, rings, environments, moves, etc. At this point the AKI engine is almost completely exposed to people with the know-how to mod it.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jun 28, 2019