Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Alder posted:

His manga arc is pretty good :sigh:

tbh I don't really agree. he has good moments but on the whole, not a fan of zenitsu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Nephthys posted:

Gotta say that there's an awful lot of "Yeah this sucks a bit but don't worry, it gets loads better later" in this thread.

I have to say that the show hasn't really invested me too much because so far theres a lot thats almost good but not actually getting there.

It kinda surprises me a bit because i straight up didn't remember either the brainwashing bit or Zenitsu's introduction. I mean, I'm pretty poo poo at remembering things, but I remember Inosuke's introduction and a lot of the villain stuff from this. So I think as the manga goes along a lot of the chaff gets weeded out.
Zenitsu as a person marginally changes, but the presentation of him changes a lot, I think.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i like zenitsu, it's a v good vocal performance this ep and was very worth seeing him get verbally beat down by a child. also jesus our pig boy is amazing in motion/sound

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Inosuke rules.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I am fond of the Drum Demon's power set.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
I like Zenitsu a lot. He's what I imagine I would be like if I was a character in that world.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The answer is that he didn't pass the final selection process for nothing. He's just missing that "borderline insane" trait that shonen heroes have to not think things are hosed when they were well and truly hosed.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

JackDarko posted:

I like Zenitsu a lot. He's what I imagine I would be like if I was a character in that world.

Oh no that's not a good sign.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

JackDarko posted:

That's why goons hate him so. They see themselves in him.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Zenitsu reminds me a bit of Mineta from MHA, except no one on the cast tolerates his bullshit so he works. And yea, the meta joke of someone in these situations actually showing fear of death is relatable. Anime good.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

I read a chapter ahead. Zenitsu a good boy.

Also, uh, don't scare him too badly. :stare:

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Zenitsu gets better. Heck this arc alone has some redeemable moments for him.

Also it was a good choice to (re)introduce him in the same chapter as PIG ASSAULT!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
zenitsu is only so awful in his early appearances to make inosuke look better. it is a sacrifice for a noble cause.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Pig assault is beautiful. Pig assault is when the quality rapidly shoots up.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Episode 12:
Tanjirou is such a good boy! SUCH A GOOD BOY!

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Im disappointed the translation isnt going PIG ASSAULT PIG ASSAULT

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Oh no they gave the worst character the best fighting style. :science:

Nezuko playing with the bandages like a cat in the flashback was good.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I wish they did not half translate Twelve Demon Moons.

Anyway my guess is that Susamaru and Yahaba were considered potential replacements for Kyogai in the ranks.

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013
it's great how much the already cool room changing effect is in motion, they really knocked this one out of the park

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Really dig the actual thunderclap they used for Z's attack. UFOtable's killing it.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea the fights are so well done

Mulderman posted:

Episode 12:
Tanjirou is such a good boy! SUCH A GOOD BOY!

we haven't even reached peak good boy from tanjirou yet if you can believe it

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Mordja posted:

Really dig the actual thunderclap they used for Z's attack. UFOtable's killing it.
That was so gorgeous I had to go back and frame by frame it.

The sequence where Tanjiro is flipping around to keep up with the rotating room was also a standout.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Eej posted:

Please do not impugn the name of my good friend Zenitsu

https://twitter.com/Classic_W_/status/1138385325766524928

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Sindai posted:

That was so gorgeous I had to go back and frame by frame it.

The sequence where Tanjiro is flipping around to keep up with the rotating room was also a standout.

as great a job as they did with the actual killing blow somehow i liked slicing the tongue even more. you don't even see Zenitsu move at all, just BAM your tongue's gone demon guy. badass.

Mimesweeper fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Jun 23, 2019

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Someone give us a taisho secret because Tanjiro didn’t have time for one!!

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Lube Enthusiast posted:

Someone give us a taisho secret because Tanjiro didn’t have time for one!!

Mordja posted:

Ufotable has fantastic sound direction. I went through the manga to see if Pig Assault's boar sound when he was breathing was there but nope, that and the beast snarl when he snaps his attacks were added by ufotable.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jun 23, 2019

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Ive been watching a select few of the episodes and this anime is some good poo poo adaptation.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
To be honest when this was possibly going to be adapted I had no clue who could do it justice, but Ufotable is basically THE best fit because their whole thing is dope sword fights and KnY's swordplay is entirely techniques based on element/animal metaphors covered with artistic flourish. It's basically artistic license for them to go nuts.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Ufotable has fantastic sound direction. I went through the manga to see if Pig Assault's boar sound when he was breathing was there but nope, that and the beast snarl when he snaps his attacks were added by ufotable.
:yeah:

Also, while Hiro Shimono was an excellent fit for Zenitsu, I do believe that Yoshitsugu Matsuoka was perfect for Inosuke. Like, I know most people are gonna forever associate him with Kirito or Bell, but goddamn when he gets to do rowdy/insane voices is when he's at his absolute best.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Anime only people now that you got Kyogai a former member of the Twelve how do you think they were ranked knowing that Kyogai used to be Lower Moon Six.

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by

MonsterEnvy posted:

Anime only people now that you got Kyogai a former member of the Twelve how do you think they were ranked knowing that Kyogai used to be Lower Moon Six.

I'm gonna say arranged as a clock face, with this guy at the bottom making him the weakest.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Wark Say posted:

Yoshitsugu Matsuoka was perfect for Inosuke.

I have no loving idea who this is but I 100% agree.
Perfect Inosuke voice. Just like what I had in my head.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
A bit behind, just watched Episode 9 and 10 and really enjoyed that fight. It was a good two, simple power sets and made use of every character present and of course it looks fantastic. Yushiro's head coming back was so hosed up and good. I didn't care too much for the emotional beat of "buff ball lady is just like a child, please feel bad for her" but in the moment I really wanted tanjiro to at least pass the ball back and forth or something. her design ruled tho.

I'm ready for the main plot becomes a bit less "Just listen to the crow and walk to the assigned next fight" but it's still early with more main cast to come so I get it.

The whole cure for Nezuko plotline felt a bit dropped though. Like, Tamayo says the two demons weren't Twelfth Moon demons so their power isn't close enough to Muzan to work, but she takes blood from them anyway? And doesn't do anything with it? then they leave with no way of contacting Tanjiro again?

e: I don't want to sound like I'm trying to cinemasins this show, I might just be bad at watching anime, but I feel I have a lot of constant niggling questions or confusions like that.

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jun 23, 2019

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
They don't do a good job at setting it up but Tamayao definitely isn't dropped

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also Susamaru was still a higher class Demon so her blood could be helpful.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
tamayo's existence is necessary for tanjirou's goal of curing nezuko to work at all. he tried asking random demons, but they were confused and crazy and trying to eat him. even if they were willing to communicate with him, it's not like any of them know the answer tanjirou wants. and obviously, talking to muzan isn't really an option. tamayo needed to exist so that she could both explain that talking to demons wasn't going to work and provide another method forward. it's not like tanjirou would give up trying, otherwise. so now tanjirou draws blood from demons he kills, making even what amounts to monsters of the week continue the main storyline.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Okay, Yushiros, it's fine I wasn't questioning the integrity of Lady Tamayo, I understand her function in the story and that she'll return but it just seems this story adds or drops characters and ideas pretty quickly. Like it's not a stretch for me to think that Tanjiro will be draining and storing blood from the demons he's killing, but I have to just think Well, He Does It. How will Nezuko deal with being a demon and that her brother dedicates his life for her and undergoes grueling training? Oh she doesn't, she just naps for seven hundred days until there's room for her in the story. Same with the three other Demon Hunters we see at the exam final that don't get named or barely talked to by Tanjiro or each other until it's time for electric boy to be in the plot.

I guess I just want this story to chill out a bit and breath, but it's a bit of revolving door on a lot of fronts. Which is totally understandable is this as the creator's first big work and she's pretty young, it's just a bit frustrating is all

MonsterEnvy posted:

Also Susamaru was still a higher class Demon so her blood could be helpful.
This is fair, I might have read too deply into her saying "They're too weak"

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jun 24, 2019

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Honestly, at this point my big question is.... We have a demon lady doctor, who studied demons for god knows how long and is pretty knowledgeable about them, to the point she feels that she will be able to create cure for demon-hood from basically nothing, if she has necessary material available. So....Why didn't Tanjiro asked her for a way to restore Nezuko's mind? We already know that just being demon doesn't mean you automatically turn into bloodthirsty abomination or that you need to kill and consume humans, as demonstrated by demon healer lady and her apprentice and restoring a human mind of a demon should be a lot easier than just inventing a demon cure. The fact that Tanjiro didn't even care to ask and that anime didn't even address the issue of Nezuko's mind, when someone who could be able to help with it is right there bothers me quite a bit.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Expect My Mom posted:

How will Nezuko deal with being a demon and that her brother dedicates his life for her and undergoes grueling training? Oh she doesn't, she just naps for seven hundred days until there's room for her in the story. Same with the three other Demon Hunters we see at the exam final that don't get named or barely talked to by Tanjiro or each other until it's time for electric boy to be in the plot.

I guess I just want this story to chill out a bit and breath, but it's a bit of revolving door on a lot of fronts. Which is totally understandable is this as the creator's first big work and she's pretty young, it's just a bit frustrating is all

i mean we are only like 20 chapters into the manga. maybe they're trying to set up too much too quickly but i think it is too early to say things are being dropped

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I have no loving idea who this is but I 100% agree.
Perfect Inosuke voice. Just like what I had in my head.
Pretty good voice actor from Hokkaido. He got famous thanks to voicing Kirito in Sword Art Online with a fairly nondescript voice, but thanks to a bunch of other roles, he's been kinda breaking out of that niche pretty well. From this year, and if you don't mind rom-coms, check him out in The Quintessential Quintuplets, where he sounds like kind of a mix between Gintoki from Gintama and the teacher from Goodbye Mr. Despair. Or, y'know, keep on watching this, because if he keeps on delivering with Inosuke, you got potential best boy of 2019 right here.